Aquariums and Terrariums anyone?

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Aquariums and Terrariums anyone?

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 am

I have always had pets it seems but I have not had an aquarium for many many years. I am not an expert on them even though I sell them and have for the last year.

Recently I bought a Betta fish and have enjoyed him so much I now I have three. :roll: They become kind of addictive.

The first one I brought home I named Lord Hue for his colors. He is dark blue with teal mixed in and he has his own castle. So he is the Lord of his manor.

Then I bought another one. He is deep red with dark blue on his fins. We got him a sunken ship and named him Cap'n Jack.

But on Friday of this last week I was helping unpack a new shipment of Betta's and noticed this one that was almost white. He actually is a lavender/pale blue color with white fins. As soon as I had him out of the solution they come in and got a good look at him I knew he was mine. So I bought my third and have named him Dreamer or Twilight Dreamer. I searched over all the aquatic decorations we had and was just not happy with what was there, I mean he needed something special to swim around and through. So I finally went to the OTHER pet store and looked to see what they might have. Low and behold I found a mountain with a waterfall. It shimmers like he does. So I bought it.

I started also with a Betta kit that was smallish and could sit on any counter or desk top. I wanted something bigger for Lord Hue in order for him to have his castle and have one of any size. So I bought a half moon shaped Betta bowl. With each new fish I have brought home I have set them up in the original Betta kit but have changed them over to Half Moon aquariums for Betta's.

So now I have three half moon Betta tanks on the back of my desk in front of me while I am sitting here typing on my laptop. It is cool to me and very soothing to watch them swimming about.

My kitty China gets as much pleasure out of them as I do. She sits on her window perch and loves to watch her fish as I call them. She does not get along with other animals so we have no others till the fish and she seems to think they are more fun to watch then to try to mess with. That works best for both of us. :D

So does anyone else have any aquariums or terrariums and wish to share who your pets in them are?? Come on in and lets talk!!!

I don't know a ton but I do work with and sell corn snakes, ball pythons, Crested Geckos, African Scorpions, Rose Hair Tarantulas, Pacman Frogs, Australian White Frogs, Russian Tortoises, Red Tail Slider Aquatic Turtles, Hermit Crabs, Firebelly Toads, Bearded Dragons and other fine reptiles as well as all the fish in our assortment like Spotted Mollys, Bala Sharks, Guppies, Gold fish, Both fresh water fish and salt water fish.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby oldtoby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

I was thinking of getting a tank and some fishses but then life went in the crapper....oh well :P
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Toby I totally understand. Perhaps when things turn around a bit then you can still check into it. I don't find the Betta's cost hardly anything to keep up and they are so soothing to watch. :D

Do they have a Petco where you live hon??
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby oldtoby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 pm

LOL yeah, like 1/2 mile up the road
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Cool!! Hey hon can I get your mailing address. My email address is vanaladiel @ hotmail dot com.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Oh, VANA!!! You have a rare, and highly prized treasure in your new friend! Betta breaders like white and black bettas best because their offspring tend to be more colorful.

It has been a long time since I had and aquarium, and even longer since I had a terarium, but once I have my own place again I intend to have both; the aqarium for my tropical finsh, including bettas (one male and however many females), and the terarium for the snake I've always wanted.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Well Dreamer as we have named him is more pale blue and lavender. His fins turn almost pink when he flairs his fins at another male. It really kind of cool!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Once I move back home I'll probably get a fish bowl.

Once I get my own apartment/space I'll invest in a fish tank proper.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:09 pm

That will be cool Lewie!!!

I had not have any kind of fish tank for many many years. I am really enjoying my Bettas though. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

Here we are the end of March and I now have 5 Bettas. Since getting Dreamer I have gotten two more. We got Turq about two weeks ago. He is turquoise when he turns sideways or almost red the other way. He is a Halfmoon Betta. Then last Saturday I got one more. Another Veiltail that we named Eclipse. He is a pale lavender/blue.

They are each in a half moon aquarium and we have put up shelves for two of the tanks. I am trying very hard not to look at the bettas at the store so that I will not be buying any more. But I think I am addicted to them. :P

EDITED on April 3rd:
I just bought another Betta another Veiltail. We named him Triton and he has a seashell and coral in his tank. I will be getting him a half moon tank tomorrow. :roll: I really need to stop looking closely at the bettas.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun May 02, 2010 9:14 am

Since the end of March some things have changed.

Dreamer disappeared completely! :shock: We figure he either jumped out of the tank and China came to investigate and ate him or she learned how to fish and not make a mess and ate him. Either way I came home and he was just plain gone!! We found no mess at all so are unsure what happened.

We bought another Betta to replace Dreamer. Ryan called him Wil but he had something wrong and went crazy. Maybe I have too many fish? Anyways we had him less then two weeks.

So again that left us with 5 Betta's.

Then last week I saw a couple more that I fell in love with. One is almost white with a blue tail fin. He is a Crowntail and we named him Avatar! He is very pretty. I also got one that is almost all black, when he turns he has a green shimmer. Ryan named him Shadow Walker (another Crowntail).

But last night someone called me to the wellness room and showed me some more that we got in. I saw the first two females that I have ever thought were pretty. (I usually see the females as very plain) One shimmers a pale turquoise all over and the other is almost all white with a turquoise blue tail fin. Needless to say, I bought them both! :roll:

So now if you are keeping track I have:
Lord Hue with a Castle (Veiltail)
Cap'n Jack with a sunken ship (Veiltail)
Eclipse with a crescent moon (Veiltail)
Turq with his drift wood and plant (HalfMoon tail)
Triton with his seashell and coral (Veiltail)
Avatar has the waterfall now (Crown tail)
Shadow Walker has a sand stone tower (Crowntail)
Pale female to be names has conch shells (Crowntail)
Turquoise female still needs her own tank! (Crowntail)

9 Betta's now!!! :Q Each in their own tanks above my computer!! :roll: What am I doing with all these Betta's?? ENJOYING them!!!! :thumbsup:

Dreamer was a HalfMoon tail
Wil was a Crowntail
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Sassyfriend » Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 pm

I have 3 bettas I have two named. One is Ollie he's red and blue. Alvin is rainbow colored. The one I haven't picked a name for yet is Black and white. He's got a skunk like pattern. Been debating with my self on names for him. Any ideals?
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Call him Pepe Le Pew!!! I love the skunk in the cartoons!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby NyckS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Unfortunately, my aquarium isn't around anymore... though I did have a pretty beautiful salt water tank for a while. Aww... the memories!
NyckS
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Well we moved about a year and a half ago and we found Dreamer! He was all dried up and behind my computer where he fell when he jumped out of his tank. I am glad to know that China did not get him but I am sad that he died like that. Poor fishy!!

Well now we are down to just one Betta!! We have one we bought after moving into our new home. The others all have passed on but we still have Whisper!! He looks a lot like Dreamer did. He is doing well. But I know they all tend to go in about a year and a half so he probably wont be with us much longer. We don't want to lose him but we are so busy any more so it will also be a relief when he is gone..... well that is until I decide to start over again. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Goldberry88 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:17 am

I've never had aquariums or terrariums, we've only had dogs, but I love the idea of keeping pet fish or tortoises/other reptiles. I especially love the idea of a pet snake, even though it would be a nightmare to look after, I love corn snakes.
Goldberry88
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth