The House of Queen Berúthiel - The Cat-Lovers Guild (Part 3)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:02 pm

I'll clean out a horse stall for you. :P

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Heh, on second thought....

I like horses as much as anyone, it's the sleeping with so much of their essence about me that might be irksome. I haven't grown up around horses so their smell is still quite noticeable to me :wink:
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Oh, fine then, we have room in the dog pen. :P

Seriously, we have another house (used for other family, hopefully for Iris to move into within the next year) you'll be fine.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tarina » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Quill, according to my husband if it bounces when it barks or can be easily drop kicked over a fence it's not a dog. :P At that point, I don't know what it is, but it's apparently not a dog.

Liri won't be going up to Montana with us. Lan and Liri have come to a mutual understanding: he's in charge and she does what he says. But she doesn't particularly care for him (unless he's been the one to put food in her dish most recently) and he returns the favor. And since he's allergic, we've been concerned that the kids might be allergic as well. Fortunately Wiggles has shown absolutely no sign of allergies so far.

I don't think Liri would enjoy the move anyway. So she'll stay here. And maybe I'll adopt a stray after a while.

Iris, I'm sorry about your dog. :( I had a similar experience when I was younger with one of our mutts, named Pepper, and cancer. We'd gotten her from the humane society and her previous owners had abused her. She was the sweetest thing ever, and extremely gentle although understandably a bit skittish around strange people.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Part 3 already? Sheesh...

Calma, Iris, so sorry to hear about your pets. Tarina, I'm sorry you have to leave yours behind.

Love those clips! Love Simon's Cat!

Oreo and Mackie are still being themselves. Oreo's demanding to drink out of the bathroom sink faucet now; when I come home from work he not only meets me at the door, he runs straight for the bathroom! It's not as if there isn't a perfectly good bowl of water in the kitchen, and half the time one in the spare room as well... Now Mackie tries to get into the act too, but he usually gets a snootful and ends up drinking the pooled water from the drain area instead. Oreo sometimes drinks from the pooled area, but would rather do the water-fountain bit. Just like me when I was a kid! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

China stands and stares at me when I am at the bathroom sink doing my hair in the mornings. A lot of times she sits on the toilet lid and watches me. When I finished with my hair she expects me to get her bowl and rinse it out and then get her a fresh bowl of water. She cant stand hair floating in her bowl. Not that I can blame her. But it is funny how she stares at me till I get it done. Though half the time the only hair floating in her bowl is hers. She drinks from the opposite side of her bowl from where she is standing. She stretches over it and lets her tags hang in the bowl. :roll:
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:28 pm

My late cat used to do that, drink from the opposite side. (Is it something with white cats? :))

Oreo doesn't like dust or anything in the water bowl either. Before we got those guys so spoiled, Oreo used to stare me down till I rinsed the bowl and put in fresh water. There'd be cat hair, dust, and sometimes stray kibbles that landed in the bowl who knows how.

Somebody's drinking from the bowl (probably Mackie), because the level does go down somewhat. But you'd never know it these days the way they act regarding the bathroom sink!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Could be a white cat thing, who knows for sure! :shock: She also used to reach in and try to pull the bowl closer to her when she got ready to drink but I think she got tired of the wet paw. :roflmbo:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 am

Yeah, Okun is put out with me because I haven't cleaned his water bowl recently...I keep forgetting. (he's not dying, there are other bowls in the house, this is just his bowl).

CATS!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Morwenna » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:27 am

Wet paws indeed. I'm still trying to figure out what Mackie got into last night when he spent a good five minutes yowling and when I finally caught up with him he had wet feet! :shock:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 am

Tarina, I'm inclinded to agree with your husband. Yapper dogs and punt dogs shouldn't be considured dogs. Deffnitely a break down in the genetic coading there. :P There are some exceptions. I like terriers because they were orignialy bred with a purpose and were very good at it. As much as it shames me to admit it, there is a special place in my heart for one long dead poodle. :( but those were special circumstances! She was a bear dog!

My cat (back home in AK, haven't seen her for a while) is a psycho. She a grew medium size, short haired kitty. I used ot be worried she would be carried off by eagles, but then one day I saw her stalking a fully grown bauled eagle. The bird was about three times her size with all manner of sharp pokey bits so I thought it might be the end. When Pheobe pounced I think the eagle was just so surprised at being attacked by a small fury domesticated animal that it took off just to be safe.

Ever since then, I've had no worries :D that and the incidents with the adult german shepherd. ;) .....
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Our dog, Tuon, is a beagle, daschund, jack russell mix and is technically a small dog since she weighs just under 30 pounds and weight is how they determine size of the dog. Kinda like figuring out what size clothes to get a baby. :P And boy can she pull. :shock: Last year at about this time, we took Tuon and Wiggles out on a walk and for fun Lan attached Tuon's leash to the litttle leg divider on the stroller. Tuon pulled that stroller with Wiggles strapped into the infant carrier for quite a while before slowing down. All Lan and I had to do was guide the stroller to make sure it stayed on the pavement. That was one dog who got a lot of excercise that day. :P

Liri is odd. If I go into the upstairs bathroom and she's inside, she'll follow me in, watch what I'm doing for a few moments, and then go drink from the tub faucet since it drips. Tuon, on the other hand, will poke her nose in just long enough to make sure I'm in there. Then she lays down right in front of the door until I'm done and come out of the bathroom. Go figure.

Morwenna, if the lid to a toilet was up Mackie might have been trying to drink from the toilet and gotten "potty paws" as my old landlord called it. His cat Cosmos used to drink from the toilet if the lid wasn't down, and Liri will too. Ironically, the only one in this house who hasn't figured out there's water in the toilet is Tuon. Although hopefully Wiggles has forgotten that little detail. :P
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Speaking of dogs, I want a grayhound. :D Last time I was at the vet (last week) I was in the waiting room by the scale. A guy came in with his grayhound and brought her over to the scale. She was looking around and saw me and tucked her head under my arm, trying to hide! :rofl: They're sweet dogs.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Morwenna » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I thought about the toilet too, but his hind feet were wet too, but not the rest of him. Maybe he got into the kitchen sink? Or maybe he did get all feet into the toilet without dunking himself?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 am

Gotta be careful with greyhounds though. Two summers ago the family took a big trip up to Yellowstone, and stopped at a campground somewhere in Idaho. I wasn't driving and I have a tendancy to fall asleep in the car (or in this case the motorhome) on long trips so I have no idea where our layover point was. :P Anyway, there was a couple there who took in greyhounds that had been rescued from the race tracks, and my in laws were talking with them about the dogs. They're good with people, but if they've been trained for the track they don't recognize other dogs as dogs. The only dogs they recognize as dogs is other greyhounds because they haven't been exposed to other breeds. And anything that is small and moves fast is considered prey and they will chase and try to catch because of their early training. Doesn't matter if it's a ball, a cat, a bird, a very small dog, or whatever.

Lan wants a big dog. And I mean BIG. We occassionally take Tuon to an off leash dog park, and one time when we were there in the spring there was a Great Dane/Black Lab mix. Lan was positively drooling over this dog. Wiggles watched it with really big eyes, mostly because it was tall enough to look down on her while she was sitting in the stroller. :P

Morwenna, I've seen Liri get all four paws in the toilet in order to get a better drink, so it's entirely possible that Mackie had all four paws in there. And cats are great at getting certain areas wet while leaving the rest of their bodies in pristine condition. My old landlord was repainting the outside of his house green. Cosmos is a black cat, although at the time he was a kitten. Everyone in the neighborhood knew who he belonged to, simply because of the green paint on the underside of his belly. Not on his tail, legs, chest, head, back, or any other portion of his body. Just on his belly. We never did figure out how he did that one.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:32 am

Mornin'....

Hope that makes your day start out great.

Later...
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:04 am

Yeah, that is a drawback with rescued grayhounds. :(

I know a guy who has one, he said the funniest thing is, she'll try to chase deer, and end up outrunning them and wonder where they went! :rofl:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Morwenna » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 am

You're probably right about the toilet. It's a modern one, with a long shallow bowl, which I'd kind of forgotten. (We've only had this one a few months, and we've lived here for 12 years.) And that's probably why he was hollering (though he hollers a lot just for the fun of it, it seems)--he may have had a hard time getting traction to jump out. I wish I'd gone to him when I first heard him!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36 pm

LOL at that video clip, Calma! :D I already saw it on I Can Has Cheezburger earlier today, but it still cracks me up!
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Calma, that clip reminds me of my cat! My grandparents (once upon a time) owned an old German Shepherd and she was constantly trying to annoy our cat and everytime she would bring her face near the cat she would get it bopped.

My mother and father have a black lab, I grew up with black labs. Deffinitely my favoirte kind of dog, and they can be trained up exceptionaly well too. If they aren't trained they can tend to be a little dense. :P :D
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 pm

There is a TORCer here that rescues greyhounds and has two right now. She had three before but they died so she got two more. She also has cats and has never had a problem with the dogs hurting or chasing the cats. So I am not sure how true that is about them chasing anything. I do know they chase rabbits and birds in the yard. So they do chase things outside. :D

If you are interested in getting a greyhound at any point I can get you in touch with her so she can give you information. She has worked with the rescue groups for many years. :thumbsup: I am all for folks rescuing and getting dogs from rescue groups.

Calma that is the funniest clip I have seen in some time. :roflmbo: I love it!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 am

I'll keep that in mind, Vana. Thanks! It probably depends on the dog.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Calma » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:30 pm

WE HAVE KITTIES!!!

Pawka and Pawsha.
We just got them about an hour and a half ago.
Opened the carrier and out they came with very little trepidation.
They found the mound of cat toys and went to town on them.
Kept us laughing all through dinner.

Rascal is not pleased with us right now.
We'll have patience with her and let her know her place has not been taken.
Her dad is cooing at her now.
She loves her dad.

Will post piccies later.

ETA... The Piccies are here... :D

Pawka

Pawsha
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby rowanberry » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:25 am

Awwww, they're cute! :love:

How did I guess that you wouldn't have just one cat for long? ;)
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Calma » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:13 pm

rowanberry wrote:Awwww, they're cute! :love:

How did I guess that you wouldn't have just one cat for long? ;)

Hmmm, m'be you're psychic? :wink:

Now while I wanted kitties, it was my babyman who wanted them more.
Really, he did.
He was a bit put out because we couldn't find any that weren't outrageously priced.
Most people were just trying to recoup their vet bills for shots and spaying and neutering, but for us to plunk down $160 for two little ones who were nothing more than cats, not Siamese or Persians, well, that was just a bit too much.
We always spay and neuter our cats, but we prefer to do it on our time and with our vet.

Anyway, they are just in LOVE with their dad.
Like what else is new?
I swear my babyman is a cat magnet...
The RealMcCoy!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 2
:x Losses:

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby ... Cock Robin

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Morwenna » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:46 pm

AWWW, they're Priceless! :love: Thanks for posting! And good luck with Rascal in the meantime!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Calma they are adorable!!!! :D Are they siblings?? Our rescue groups charge too but right now they are usually giving discounts when you buy two at a time. One rescue group has so many that they wish to have placed before winter that they are only charging $25 for adult cats over 1 year old and $50 for kittens. Too bad that China wont get along with another kitty cause I would definitely get one if she would.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 am

Rescue groups do BOGO? :rofl:

No noticeable fleas on Rob's kitty since we gave him a bath. I think we'll have to do it again anyhow, just to be sure. Poor baby...but he ended up with the softest fur imaginable. Next project: getting him scheduled for snip-snip. ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Calma » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:08 pm

This morning Rascal was just all bent out of shape over the babies.
My babyman suggested before I left for work that I should Rascal in the garage.

Yeah, right....
I spent the hour I usually spend chilling out before leaving looking for the darn cat. :x
I found her under the small settee in the family room.
Too late to put her anywhere, so I chased her up the stairs then closed off the door from the kitchen to the living room and pulled the pocket doors from the foyer to the family room.
I set out food and water and litter box in the foyer and that was that.
Rasky had the living room and the upstairs and the kids had the kitchen and the family room.
The kitchen has the cat pole and food and the box is in the half bath off the laundry.

All in all it was an equitable sectioning.

When I came home, the house was still standing and Rascal was better behaved.
When my babyman came home, she was really happy and she actually walked by Pawkah without hissing and spitting.

Who knows maybe she's getting used to them.
But I'm still going to block the house tomorrow morning.
I'm not that trusting yet. :D

Oh, and I've decided to change Pawka's spelling to Pawkah.
It just looks better, imo.

Later...
The RealMcCoy!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 2
:x Losses:

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby ... Cock Robin

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby portia » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:40 am

Jealousy among the four-paw'd set is common and hard to get rid of. After 5 years our dog still cannot stand to hear anyone say the word "cat." she comes and demands her share of attention.

Our cat ("Fflur") seems to miss Mr. Portia more than our dog does, although our dog does seem depressed. She was the one who picked out Mr. Portia at the shelter. The cat has become so affectionate and attentive I can hardly deal with it. When I try to do paperwork, she sits on my knee or gets on the desk and tries to sit on the paper. She didn't do that very much, before. Since I have a LOT of paperwork, it can be annoying.

But, of course, I am glad they are here.
portia
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth