iiiiIIIIITTTT'S CHRIIISTMAAAAAASSSS!!!! (well, nearly...)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby prmiller » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 am

Thank You, Martin Luther

The snow was gleaming well that night,
suffused as if with heaven's light,
and Martin Luther saw that sight,
and thought of candles pure and bright
shining on a pine tree bough
gleaming just as snow does now.
Then turning to his skillful frau,
"Dear Katarina, tell me how
we can create this lovely scene,
on pine tree boughs, forever green?"
"I know, dear husband, what you mean
for I have loved snow's shine and sheen."
"Would tiny candles, tied with care
create the wonder seen out there?"
Those are my thoughts, and to be fair,
the facts are known, I do not err
that we give Martin Luther nod
for decorating trees, though odd,
he sought to help us learn of God
who dwelt with us upon this sod.
"I am the Light"--men heard His call,
and thus to honor Him, each hall
brings in a tree, then one and all
adds decorations, large or small.
All this from Martin Luther's stroll,
and being moved within his soul,
did not enforce, coerce, cajole,
a way we can Good News extol.

Blessings,
Parm :)
Hooray for the joys of June!

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Finally bought myself an Advent wreath, and none too soon. I got it Sat. and advent started Sun. It's been weird doing the readings by myself this year.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:33 am

Readings are a great idea. It's just hubby and me though, and it's hard to start a habit at our age! :) If I had kids I'd have had family readings of Christmas things from day one. Time was, before everyone had electronic media, families would gather and someone would read, all year. That was entertainment. All I want is the seasonal variety! I ought to get hubby into readings aloud of A Christmas Carol or any good story.

The Halloween stuff is coming down bit by bit. Within a day or two of the holiday I put away the giant spider; just this past weekend I finally put away the haunted house candle lamp and the jack-o-lantern table ornaments and the little ghosts. And at least the day after Thanksgiving I did put out the stuffed turkey (I mean it; it's a stuffed toy that happens to be a turkey!) even though it was a day late but it was there when company came. Now I have to take that down, and the other harvest decorations--and the witches. I haven't had the heart to put away the witches. They're so cuuute... :)

But they'll be replaced by equally cute angels! I figure tonight I should put away all the autumn stuff, and tomorrow night, the first of December, I'll start bringing out the Christmas stuff. Of course the tree won't happen for a few weeks yet; we get a real one. But just because, I ought to bring out my old artificial table tree; it hasn't been out of its box in years, and it is pretty. The cord is short and our outlets are few, so I'll have to haul out an extension cord. And now that we have SPACE (and we should have done it last year) we can put up my mother's Nativity set!!! :!: That hasn't been out of the boxes for over 20 years!! We have so much Christmas stuff that I keep getting surprised by something I'd forgotten about.

I bought hubby's present on the way home from work Saturday noon. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 am

I have been wishing folks a Merry Christmas at work since after Thanksgiving and I had someone last night tell me I was too early!!! :shock: I mean it is the next holiday that I celebrate and it is less then a month away. I guess they would rather wait till the week of....

Nah I am going to say it to everyone I meet now through Christmas!!!! :twisted: Just to see their faces!!!!
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:08 pm

All of this reminds me: I have to go buy stamps for cards!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby prmiller » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:00 am

Morwenna wrote: Now I have to take that down, and the other harvest decorations--and the witches. I haven't had the heart to put away the witches. They're so cuuute... :)

(Parm's emoticon reaction to "cute witches": :shock:
Darth Parm's reaction to "cute witches" =:) :rose:
Parm's reaction to Darth Parm: :roll:

Repartee

You know how it goes
on the TV shoes,
the sidekick remarks,
the hero retorts,
the sidekick responds,
the hero exhorts.
Something like this
(and I don't mean to dis):
You can have Renoir back when we are finished with it...
And that will be?
Soon.
But... .
Nope.
A-ahh... .

I love those moments of repartée
I just don't have bright things to say.
...shucks...
Blessings.

prmiller

Postby Morwenna » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 am

Well, my little witch figures are cute. :)

All that's been put away now though, except for the autumn wreath. I'm beginning to get Christmas stuff out of the hall closet, though I haven't done anything large-scale yet. We've received one card so far; time to start writing out ours. I've already bought the stamps. And now it's time to start planning the baking, which includes buying ingredients, especially the white flour which hubby ran us out of the other day! I found a few things that need repairs too; time to place them, with the tube of Super-Glue, near hubby's living room chair. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 am

Following self. ;)

Since this thread started out to be about traditions, I'm Finally equipped to carry on one of the traditions from my parents! Almost every year for Christmas my mother used to make a certain cake, a Fresh Orange Cake, because when she first saw the recipe (when I was very little or maybe before I was born) it reminded her so much of Christmas, even though it wasn't specifically a Christmas cake. She grew up poor, and back then the only time the poor made room in the budget for things like oranges was at Christmas. (This was before or around World War I, before all the refrigerated trucks.) So therefore the cake, which uses the juice and grated rind of an actual orange, and chopped (or ground, in our case) walnuts in the filling and frosting. And weren't oranges and walnuts common gifts in Christmas stockings at one time? Well, I told myself for years that I'd make that cake, but memories, the weird old-fashioned way the recipe was worded, and sheer nerves made me chicken out year after year--until this one! :D I made it a week ago in time for a friend's party and found that I had a hit on my hands! Even the host wanted the recipe, and he's a part-time professional caterer! :shock: So I'll be making it again this weekend, to bring to our niece's holiday dinner. Better late than never, I guess!

And last week I posted the recipe over in Cooking Guild.

So now, every year there will be that cake. Tradition!! (cue the dancers ;))
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby prmiller » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:05 am

This Awesome Time

All you who step into this place,
some wreathed in smiles that bless your face,
some burdened by your daily cares,
some struck by sorrow unawares,
some dancing with unbridled joy,
some sighing at their grim employ,
come sit awhile and by this rhyme,
enjoy this truly awesome time.
This time where something great and grand
lifts up the cold, forgotten hand,
and places in it, like a rope,
a lifeline to some bright new hope;
this time when we can celebrate
the good in here we helped create,
the whismy, laughter, healing cheer,
such hugs! A place to shed a tear.
All these are heightened by this time,
though darkened, often, by that crime
that seeks to steal our joy away--
but Night shall yield to Endless Day.
So come and join our carolling,
and let your soul rejoice and sing.
Oh, come and pull that festive cork,
and toast to awesomeness at TORC!

A Happy Christmas to you All,
Each thread, each guild, each noble hall,
May each one have a solid reason,
to celebrate this splendid season!

Blessings,

prmiller

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:58 pm

PARM that says it all and very well indeed!!

It helps us to see that though things may not always be bright or our health may not always be to par, at least we are a family here and we do care about each other. We are all not just a part of this totally awesome place, but a vital part of this community that we call TORC and have made our home.

I love you all and hope that this Christmas you get the desires of your hearts and the Blessings unending for your life!!! :grouphug:

Merry Christmas to one and all!!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 am

Parm, that was truly beautiful!! And you are such a poet anyway; often I read something of yours that I think ought to be spread farther afield than our little community here. Some of those verses of yours--this one included--would, with a little editing out of specifically TORC references--be well received in very many places, including churches.

Merry Christmas (we are still within the Twelve Days, after all :)) and Happy New Year!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Well, it's no longer a-a-a-a-a-almost Christmas, but the glowing-embers-time of yet another Christmas Eve and Day. I for one, am both glad and sad . . . glad that the frantic frenzy of too-many-preparations-crammed-into-too-few-days thing is over and I can finally put my feet up and relax . . . but also sad that the two days that are so faithfully and meticulously prepared for, have been enjoyed and are now receding into their place in my memory . . . :)

Parm, thank you for such a lovely, uplifting verse to commemorate the season, I really enjoyed that (as I do all your work ;) ).

And now, the countdown to Christmas 2012 begins . . . :P:P:P (edited to different smilies to better illustrate that this remark is supposed to be sarcastic, LOL).

:D:D:D
Last edited by SilverScribe on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:32 am

Can we get through New Years first? Please!!!

I just feel that folks rush through each holiday just to race on to the next and I for one, wish to slow down a bit!! At least for a little while, I mean where did this year go already? I thought it just started? My head is spinning!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:27 am

I think a lot of the "rushing" has to do with seeing how things worked out this time and wanting to improve it for next; we do that all the time for Pennsic (i.e. start listing ideas for next year on the way home). But I too am greatly looking forward to a rest from all this bustle! As tired as I am, I'm actually glad I'm at work today because it's a return to normalcy!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:Can we get through New Years first? Please!!! !

Oh, most definitely. I realize that I put the wrong smiley at the end of that statement, I meant to use the one with the tongue sticking out. (I've edited it now ;) ).

Sorry Vana, I didn't mean to give you heart failure! LOL . . . I really did mean it as a jab to the way people seem to rush through the year.

I want time to slow down my ownself . . . :shock:

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:00 pm

:roflmbo: I figured you did but I need to slow down and see if I can just get some sleep to be ready for Spring when it gets here. :P I am one tired puppy!!!

Didn't 2011 just start?? I thought it did! Okay so it has been 12 months ago but it seems like yesterday!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 am

Hey, I'm still wondering what happened to 2010... (Oh, that's right, that's the year I was trying to forget... :D)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Hehehehe . . . Vana is gonna KILL me but . . .

Today on the way home from my mother's place, I stopped at a store to look for a 15" Nutcracker that she wants me to see if I can find in the post Christmas "sales". Alas, there was no love . . . this type of decoration rarely lasts long enough to end up on the "odds and ends" tables.

On my way out, I figured I'd see if I could find a red rug among what's left of the Christmas linens (for our bathroom, since the one we have is ready for the dustbin). Not only did I find a lovely, thick red rug (without that annoying rubber back to boot!), but I found a gift for my Mom for next Christmas . . .

:lmbo:

Okay, okay . . . New Year's first. I know. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Of course, some are predicting the end of the world will happen four days before Christmas 2012, so get your shopping done early. :P

I found one of those Nutcrackers at a post-Christmas sale at Dollar General, and just couldn't resist it. It's in my apartment now.

Dr. Pepper on Sgt. Pepper anniversary!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm

:roflmbo: OH Scribbles darlin you crack me up!!! I totally understand when one finds a great deal and it is perfect for someone that it is going to be for next Christmas. I just found it funny that you were worried that I might kill you for it!! ;) :pull: :bang: :Q

I just really want to take one holiday at a time, and that is because stores now through with Christmas will already be bringing in the Valentine Stuff and we haven't even made it into the new year. :roll:

CR Ryan loves Nutcrackers too so I guess I will be keeping my eyes peeled for any I can find through out the year. No I wont go shopping now for one. I am going to try to sleep on my days off. ;)
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:06 am

I went to my local Walgreen's on my lunch hour yesterday looking for remaindered boxes of Christmas cards to stock up for next year, and there weren't any!! :shock: They had other Christmas stuff, but no boxed cards... There certainly were plenty before Christmas!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 am

Sometimes stores will stock in the back room things that they know will sell next year such as Christmas Cards. They don't change that much from year to year so if they have a place to store something like that, they will to save money for the company. I would imagine that is what happened with the Cards Morwenna.

I know we still have cards at work and they are half off but half off brings them to $8.00 per box and that is what they should be from the start, in my opinion. So folks are not buying them. It does not matter to me that they are wildlife scenes or stuff like deer or elk or ducks. :roll: They are just pieces of card stock with a picture and a saying on them. Sheesh!

I got stocked up at the dollar store for next years Christmas cards!! :thumbsup: And they were dirt cheap!!! I saw no reason why they would not be perfect for next years lists!! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:31 am

That's a thought, thanks. I've been meaning to hit the dollar store for other things anyway.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:50 am

Vanaladiel wrote:I got stocked up at the dollar store for next years Christmas cards!! :thumbsup:

Hehehehe me too!

Morwenna, our Dollar Stores actually stock some beautiful cards, and the price for 20 or 40 cards, even at $2, is certainly right. :D I even found boxes of Christian themed ones too! Hopefully, you can find something nice still on the shelves. :)

Next year will be a hodge podge though, I have a bunch of cards left from several years' sets of 48 and the like, so no one on my list will get the same style card as anyone else next year . . . :P:D

Hehehe, Vana, I thought you'd get a kick out of that comment. ;) And I hear you on the stores jumping on every holiday as early as possible. :roll: I understand the need for the retail business to make money so they can stay in business, but cheeze louize, January 15th would be plenty early enough to start the Valentines rush . . .

We celebrate Epiphany on January 6 as the last day of the Christmas season, so after New Year we still have that to look forward to.

SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Yes our dollar store had lots of pretty and religious cards so I got several sets I think for $2 each. I bought enough to do next year and have lots left over from years before too.

Maybe I should just jump on making next years Christmas cards now, I mean MAKING them!! I can do it but it is time consuming and so much work. But you just never know what mood will hit ya and then "Surprise", you have them done. Don't count on it being a homemade one though since I seem to work all the time and in odd hour shifts. :roll: I want to be a stay at home lady!!! OH well someday maybe and then maybe not!!! :roflmbo:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:29 am

I want to be a stay at home lady with my full income. :P
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth