Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VII

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VII

Postby dr_boots » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi everyone!

Literally had to fight my way through the gate this morning to get to car. We had a winter storm Wednesday into Thursday. Lots of wind and lots of snow, heavy wet snow. The willows by the gate were bowed down by the weight of the snow all the way to the ground. It was a complete ice and snow wall. Then my phone went out (landline). I was going no where and couldn't even call into work to let them know I couldn't make it in. Thank goodness my internet was up and running fine so I e=mailed work and then e-mailed my cousin to call my neighbor to come rescue me and bring her phone. Carol actually had to weave and batter her way through the frozen tangled branches. I felt like some fairytale princess imprisoned by a wall of thorns......and its supposed to be near 50 degrees tomorrow so this is all going to melt.

We've been busy planning events for our Tolkien summer fest at the library. All kinds of great activities. Not only is Ring of Steel coming back but now we are going to have a "fun run" that ends at the Livery - a pub in the Arts District that is in an old 1800's livery that has been restored and converted (very reminiscent of the Prancing Pony inside). When we talked to the coordinator for the fun run her first comment was "It comes in pints?" Got to love the LOTR geeks out there. So we are thinking of calling it "It Comes In Pints Night at the LIvery". Part of the money spent on the ales goes to the library. Also having a person that will be teaching the kids on making costumes for cosplay, a costume contest, movie marathon, LOTR trivia contest......Really getting excited about this.

Morwenna, how did your Scifi convention go?? I would like to go to a comicon just once.

Vana, so glad to hear your folks are on the mend. You should have your oxygen supplies by now and on your way to feeling lots better. I would love to have a pool boy....if I could just find one with a metal arm :wink: :D :wink: :)

Well that's my news. Still waiting to hear from the MOOTers on what weekend we should plan for the MOOT. Either the weekend before or the weekend after Fathers's day weekend would be best. Need some input from the others.

Love and hugs
Dr. B
Chaser after loose Greyhounds
Slave to all cats
Proud citizen of MACadamia

"No, my neighbors, never think
that path is a short one; you must
have a lion's heart to go by that way, it
is not short and its seas are deep,
you will walk it long in wonder, sometimes
smiling, sometimes weeping."

-Attar, "Parliament of the Birds"
dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Dr.B sometimes a pool boy can be more trouble then they are worth. Of course, I am not speaking of mine, he's a keeper!

I have my oxygen and it sure does make a difference. I am having trouble with the company that I am using for my oxygen supplies so am thinking of using another. No one should have to be passed around for 30 minutes while trying to figure out who I can make my payment to. Also 20 minutes on hold waiting for someone to answer my call when they called me first was more then I was ready to handle that day. Their attitude is not very professional at this point in my opinion! My rehab teacher isn't happy that I am having this trouble so soon after getting on with these folks.

When I travel to see you again Rhonda, we will have to have arrangements for my oxygen supplies while I am there. They wont let me bring oxygen on the plane. Go figure!

But I am still planning on a trip to Michigan some time this year!!!! :clap: :hug: :clap: :drink:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 am

Vana, so glad to hear the oxygen is helping you so much! Do you use it all the time, or just for sleeping, or occasionally, or what?

And I hope you get with a company that treats you better!

The con was fine. But we had a flat tire on the way home. We called AAA because we didn't realize what the problem was (hubby had trouble steering, and it was a rear tire), but they changed it for us. Good thing too, because we're not at the crawl-under-the-car-to-get-the-spare stage anymore! :)

Then we went to the movies on Tuesday night (saw Kung Fu Panda 3) and took ourselves out to supper, but on the way home hubby said the brakes were mooshy. He tried using brake fluid next day and it didn't help, so he called our mechanic who told him to bring it in the following day (hubby never gets an early start unless forced). So Thursday he had the car towed in, they diagnosed it as the master cylinder and quoted him a smaller price than he expected, fixed it Friday, and after he picked it up he finally went and got the new tires! Whew... Actually, the whole thing came to less than we feared, and we only lost a couple hours of inconvenience on Sunday and a few days without the car in midweek, and we rarely use it midweek anyway (I take the bus to work). We were going to run a bunch of errands today but we got up so late that right now (1:40 PM EST) he's making brunch, then we do have one local errand we have to do, and then all the rest of the stuff will wait till I have a day off during the week (because I have to work next weekend), when he says the stores will be less crowded anyway.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:56 pm

I wear the oxygen pretty much continually! It seems to help me sleep better too.

So glad that it was only a flat tire Morwenna! Also how was the con? Did you meet any stars there?

Oooo I forgot I won tickets from Fandango so we need to go to the movies soon.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:29 am

VANA,
Just a quick post to let you know I sent you an email with the phone numbers and websites of local places that have oxygen equipment and supplies. Hope that helps with you trip this year.

Love U
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:So glad that it was only a flat tire Morwenna! Also how was the con? Did you meet any stars there?

It's not a media con, per se, so there weren't any film or TV performers, if that's what you mean. The guests are mainly authors and editors and artists, and some scientists, and filkers of course. But once you've been to several cons, you don't get starry-eyed over authors anymore, and I've been going to cons for 35 years. They're just people who are diligent enough to have gotten into print, and in some cases fortunate enough to make their living at it.

We enjoyed ourselves. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:10 pm

I got your email Rhonda and that takes one more worry out of coming to see you again!! :D :clap: :thumbsup:

Morwenna I am glad you enjoyed it even though it was not star studded!! IF it is something you enjoy, then that is all it needs to be!! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Hwesta » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello everyone!

My apologies for not posting lately. My only excuse (and it isn't much of one) is having had a stubborn cold and that my life is so excruciatingly uneventful. Lots of routine...not that that is an altogether bad thing!

Vana Please let me give you a hug! I'm so sorry you are having such a time of it. Have you been able to get things smoothed out regarding your oxygen supplier? What a surprise about your Dad. I had no idea something like that could happen. You have my prayers.

Rhonda I'm thinking of the Moot and it makes me smile. Something to look forward to! :clap: I haven't talked to nunke or Hero about when they want to come. I will send a nudge their way. Either the weekend before or after Father's Day weekend would work for me.

I wish I was as eloquent as you all are...I find myself very frustrating sometimes. :roll:

:grouphug:
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Thank you for the hug Hwesta!!! I loved it! :hug: One back at you my sister friend!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:39 pm

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY FOLKS!!!!!!!!

Its been 78 degrees outside!!! The world is coming to an end!!!! Its supposed to be like this into next week. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop - it can't last. I wanted to come home and throw open the windows and the doors and let the fresh air in but then remembered the screen doors have their solid inserts in and the windows are all caulked up. Its not fooling me :nono: . Trying to lull me into a false sense of security and getting to remove all my barriers to the north wind....or rather the northwest wind =:) .

Hwesta, I was also thinking of either of those two weekends, which ever one is best for you guys is OK with me. As things fall out with our plans for the LOTR events at the library, I will keep you all posted as you may want to bring some costumes with you. I think you all would enjoy "It Comes in Pints?" night at The Livery (think Prancing Pony). Costumes are welcome and we are going to play LOTR trivia and anything else we can devise. We're having a planning meeting this Saturday to start scheduling events. i would really love it if you all could be here when Ring of Steel comes.

Vana, glad we found something here that can help you when you visit. Hope you can stay more than a few days. So much to see and do and gab about......or you can just relax out on the swing with a good book....and then doze off :wink: .

Well I for one am getting excited about seeing the next Captain America movie in May :clap: . Its being directed by the same ones that did Winter Soldier so I know it will be outstanding. Jill and I are already planning to go to the first showing at midnight. Several other friends are raising their hands now saying "Me Too!!! Me Too!!!!" so don't know how many will end up going with with us :horse: . All that male pulchritude for 2 and a half hours :D . I am sure that by the time it leaves the theaters I will have seen it more times than the Fellowship. And then later, Dr. Strange with Benedict Cumberbatch!!! And I know Martin Freeman is in the Captain America film and may be in Dr. Strange.

I've been busy pulling out all the Tolkien stuff I accumulated over the years most of which was hidden in those massive drawers upstairs. Never realized how much 'stuff' there was. Also pulled out my costumes from the Gathering in Toronto though I think they will be too heavy to wear mid summer. Found every thing but my hobbit feet. :roll:

Wow!!!! The spring peepers are really singing away outside. This warm weather has brought them out. Sounds great. :D

Morwenna, I know you have been to different scifi and comicons...How do you find out where and when and what they are going to be????? I would really like to try it this year but don't know how to get started. I know there is a big one in Philly in June but don't think I could make that one.

Well that's all folks....I gotta go find my feet! :P

Love and hugs
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:18 pm

I suppose you could Google them... I started years ago when almost nobody had home computers (I say almost; in the SF community they were everywhere), but I got in by word of mouth (I have the woman who became my maid of honor to blame for all this), and once there, there were plenty of leaflets about upcoming conventions all over the region and some farther away. Every convention, once you find one, has a space where other convention sponsors put their ads.

How about the newsletters, LOCUS and like that? Do they have an event calendar?

I haven't been to comicons. I keep telling myself, Someday, but it never happens. They're so expensive anyway, AFAIK more so than an SF con. Media cons are worse. (Would I have loved to be at the one where Provenmire and Marsh were? You betcha!!!)

Great Googly Moogly indeed! (Yes... yes it is...) :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 pm

From what I understand Dragon con is always over Labor day weekend! It is in Atlanta Georgia and where I met some of my favorite TORC friends in the beginning.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:56 pm

I just poked around on the internet and found a site called Convention Scene that has a list of several upcoming conventions for most of the rest of the year. Good luck!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Hello Everyone!!!

Rhonda You mentioned bringing costumes....well, I have a story for you! A couple who belong to the Supper Club I belong to are moving back to California. They are former SCA folk and had a boatload of stuff to get rid of. I got two Silk under-dresses, a Wool dress with hand embroidery around the neck, sleeves and hem using silk thread and real stone beads and another dress in Linen! Oh, and a spool of beading wire. For how much?, you might ask. Well...wait for it...$20. :shock: Pretty amazing! I was so grateful and promised to take good care of the dresses. So, yes, I can bring some costumes if need be. 8)

I have some crocuses blooming in the back yard and there are crocuses, snowdrops and daffodils blooming in the neighborhood. Spring is coming! (While I try to ignore the little voice in my head that says it is too early...)

Vana How are you feeling, my dear? Between your -???- knee and your asthma you are having a hard row to hoe. Hope things are getting better. :hug:

Best wishes to all!
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Hwesta, as a long-term SCAdian, I'm impressed! :D

I just loooove the spring weather we're having... though something tells me that winter isn't over yet. :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilestel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Hello to All,

ITS 72 TODAY AND I JUST COULD NOT WAIT TO START PUTTING MY DECK FURNITURE OUT. YES I KNOW WINTER IS NOT OVER YET BUT IT IS IN MY BOOK. I NEED TO MOW SOON THE GRASS IS GREEN AND GROWING AH!!!!!!!!! SPRING AND SUMMER , GARDEN AND FLOWERS I HAVE SPRING FEVER :clap: :clap: 8) 8)
I UNDERSTAND WHY THE KIDS ARE SO RESTLESS ME TOO!!!!

:grouphug: ]GIL
Gilestel
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:32 pm

I am back to work and back to my rehab classes and doing very well. I lost another pound over the week and a half that I was out. My knee is doing much better though now and then I still get a twinge if I turn wrong. I love that I can exercise and walk now without gasping for air. It is liberating in a way though I have to lug these tanks around with me. Oh well, the price we pay for comfort I guess.

Morwenna and anyone else doing the cons or thinking about them, Have a great time!!!! Take a camera for pictures and an autograph book for signature of famous people you meet!

Hey Gil great to see and hear from you again!!! I hope you can make it this year!!

Has anyone heard from Dima since last year?
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby NimrodelSong » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi all -
I know you all are probably keeling over from seeing my post. :shock: I'm just on FB a lot I guess. I still certainly love you all!

Dr_b, I didn't know that Martin Freeman was gonna be in the Capt. America movie. I for one am really looking forward to it. They never disappoint. Speaking of the moot, I was just mentioning it to Keith the other day. BTW, if we have it the weekend BEFORE Father's Day weekend, we could celebrate Hero's birthday while she's there. :) :heart: Just a thought!

Things are starting to look really "springy" here, blooming trees, forsythia, and our daffodils are up. Tulips about to bloom too. :)

Vana, I guess I've missed a lot in here; I didn't know you had to be on oxygen. Is that a permanent thing?

Gotta run, y'all. Love to you
~Nim~
NimrodelSong
Kentucky Woman

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Nim for now it is. The asthma is not allowing me to empty my lungs enough to get good oxygen in when I am walking or exercising and so I end up gasping and very out of breath. I saw 4 doctors last year trying to find out why I was having so much trouble breathing and with all their blood work and poking and prodding, they still could not figure it out. None of them thought about me getting more oxygen. But Dr. Jaffer sent me to Pulmonary Rehab and they figured it out in the first walk they had me do. I walked up and down this hallway for 6 minutes after they checked my pulse, blood pressure and oxygen levels. Then took them again right after the walk and my oxygen levels fell dramatically. So they put me on oxygen in the class and I was able to walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes and do fine. So the doctor put me on oxygen full time and it is helping considerably.

I just took my Over Night Oxygen levels test last week and they say that I am not getting enough oxygen at night while I sleep so now they are ordering a sleep study for me. Perhaps a C-Pap machine might be in my future as well to help at night. Apparently we want to keep our oxygen levels well in the 90s and at night I fall to the low 80s. When you drop out of the 90 you start losing cells all over your body and become more likely to have strokes or heart attacks because all you body hormones are out of whack. It will make you gain weight too I guess. So as they fix my breathing issues I should get much better all the way around and perhaps get off oxygen if I lose enough weight. That is my goal anyways.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby NimrodelSong » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:14 pm

The best to you Vana! I will say a prayer :heart:
NimrodelSong
Kentucky Woman

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:17 am

Thank you hon!! I so appreciate that. :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi everyone :hihi: :hihi:

Hello to Gil and Nim, glad to see you both on MAC.

We've been having some wonderful weather here. Its been sunny almost every day and temperature ranges between 65 and 40. Did have one really good thunderstorm one evening and another evening with some powerful winds (50+mph). :shock: Everything not tied down ended up somewhere else. Probably one county over. Nice that we didn't loose power. Which was unusual as we have a history of loosing power when a squirrel sneezes. Something to do with the flapping of a butterfly's wings and chaos theory.

Still thinking of going to a big comicon. The one in Philly is too close to the MOOT and also too far away but there is one in Chicago in August that I might try. The library director and her husband will probably go to that one so may ask to tag along.

We are going like gangbusters on our plans for this summer. June 30th is our "It Comes In Pints?" night at the Livery. Its and open mike night and we are planning on having a riddle contest with prizes and such. The director is going to speak with the owners about the possibility of hanging a Prancing Pony sign outside for that night. Some other businesses in the Arts District are willing to participate as well. Shaping up to be a fun time.

Nim, either date is OK with me. Wasn't sure if Hero wanted to spend her birthday with her family or not. I remember our first MOOT, we celebrated Hero's birthday out on the gazebo with costumes and a special birthday cake.

Vana, hope you are dong well now. It must be really miserable without your oxygen. We will find a perfect place to set you up for sleeping. I assume you need a power outlet close by,. BTW, Love your kitty pic.

Morwenna, thanks for the input on comicons and scificons. Did not realize there was a difference.

Yes, Nim, I am sooooooo excited to see Civil War. There are now 4 of us going to the early show on Thursday. Margaret (the Video Queen) and her husband Marv are also going with us. We are planning on having dinner at Bilbo's before the movie. Sounds like a perfect evening to me - pizza and than lots of beautiful men...... :wink: :wink:

Love you all
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Concerning the Moot...
I have talked to nunke, who has talked to Hero and both say that either weekend is okay with them. So, who gets the final decision? Dr. b, do you want to flip a coin???
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 am

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to answer Hwesta's question: I emailed Nim to see which weekend would be best for her and Susie. She said she would check with Susie and let me know ASAP. Either one would be OK with me so I wanted to make sure that Nim and Susie could make either also.

Things are greening up here. The willows are starting to leaf out as are my roses. My fear is that this warm sunny weather is just a fooler and any day now th other shoe will drop....but in the meantime I intend to enjoy it.

Jill and I (and some others) started our Marvelous Movie (and TV shows) Marathon last Saturday. We watched Captain America: The First Avenger and the first 5 episodes of Agent Carter. We intend to continue this coming weekend and will probably finish Agent Carter and maybe get to the first Iron Man. Hopefully we can get through to the last movie/TV show on our list which is Ant Man before Civil War comes out. There are now 4 of us going to the early showing at the IMAX on May 5. Really excited about this one though if it follows the graphic novel story line it will be very heart rending too. Going to bring lots of tissues along.

Love and hugs to all

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:02 am

MOOT! MOOT! MOOT!

Just heard back from Nim. Though they were OK with either date they liked the weekend before Fathers Day weekend best. So shooting for June 11-13. Seems like old times. That was dates of our first MOOT here. :horse: :drink: :clap:
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:09 pm

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!

MOOT UPDATE (LITERALLY)

NIM JUST E-MAILED ME THAT SHE HAD JUST REMEMBERED THAT HER STEP DAUGHTER IS EXPECTING TO DELIVER ON JUNE 10TH SO SHE ASKED IF THE MOOT DATE COULD BE CHANGED TO WEEKEND FOLLOWING FATHER'S DAY. i DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM BUT LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE DOES.

AS A SIDE NOTE....WE JUST HAD A MASSIVE SNOWSTORM YESTERDAY. SNOW, WIND....SUNSHINE TODAY AND SNOW IS ALL MELTED. APRIL FOOL'S DAY A DAY LATE.

DR b
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi everyone!

This will come as no surprise after dr.b's post, but they are talking Snow for Friday! The dogwoods and lilacs are in bloom, my Mother's Tree Peony has 8 luscious, big flower buds, the celandine poppy and wild geranium are blooming and it is going to snow! Drat, drat, drat! :hair:
I am preoccupied with my garden so not much else to talk about.
Hugs to all! :hug:
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Crazy weather! We had snow earlier this week ourselves, but it turned to rain rather rapidly.

Life's little ups & downs... Today we went shopping because I wanted to find a dress for the oldest nephew's wedding 2 weeks from now, so we ate breakfast out and hit a bunch of stores all close to each other; I found a dress, got a new half-slip, a couple party purses, a waist-cincher, and then I wanted shoes, but before we could get anywhere else the car wouldn't catch when starting! So we called AAA, turns out it was the fuel pump, and he towed us home. I got a couple things at Petco while waiting for the tow (I told you all these places were close together!). So now we have to wait till Monday to get the car over to our mechanic.

At least I found a dress! Last time I wanted new party clothes, I tried almost every store in 2 towns, finally (on the advice of a co-worker) ended up at a consignment shop where I bought 2 elegant pantsuits. (In fact, one of the party purses I bought today, a black beaded one, was because it almost exactly matches one of those pantsuits! But can you believe, they left the tracer thingy inside it, still attached to the strap?? Of course it's on by a wire, and they have to release those things with their little machine. And it didn't set off any alarms! So there it sits, with the sales slip inside it, waiting for us to get the car fixed so we can bring it back to the store.)

And if I don't get a new pair of party shoes, oh well, but it would be nice to have a white pair instead of the sparkly black ones that I wear in the fall & winter. There's still a couple weeks to go. Everything I saw today was either way too sporty or way too glitzy--or way too high! I haven't worn 3-inch heels for the last 40 years or so! I don't want to go over an inch and a half. And I don't want sandals that are so flat they make you feel as if the toes are higher than the heels!

The dress is straight-cut, scoop neck, 3/4 length sleeves, white cotton lace over a beige lining. Simple, looks great on me; I think I'll wear a single close strand of pearls with it (choker length--I think I have one that size). And the little white purse I got has a quilted front, just dressy enough to not look too casual. (That's another thing that was hard to find--a white party purse without a lot of glitz, and a shoulder strap instead of a wrist strap.)

So I think I'll take my old black party purses over to Goodwill. One is too small for anything I want these days; the other looks big enough but if you put enough in it that puts the least bit of strain on the closure, it opens. These new ones are much more functional!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:20 pm

AAAAAAAACCCCCKKK!!!!!

What is it with the weather????? :angry: We had snow Saturday (had to have the driveway plowed :roll: ) and today it is nasty rain and cold. Not just any rain, mind you but big fat drops that soak you down. I just want some nice "spring weather". The snow storm we had last weekend pretty much took all the buds on my big flowering ornamental magnolia. They were so pretty even unopened. Pale pink and huge. Now they're all brown sodden masses. Luckily my lilacs while starting to leaf out did not have any buds yet. A friend of mine whose family has peach orchards says they may have lost some peaches too.

Morwenna, plenty of my friends shop almost exclusively at thrift stores and consignment shops and generally get really nice clothes for amazing prices. Gosh, I haven't worn a dress in ages. I would be in deep trouble if I had to dress up for anything. Don't have any friends or family that are marriageable so don't need to worry about weddings to attend. Thank goodness.

MOOTers, Nim and Susie are coming up June 20th and leaving on Friday as Nim's husbands birthday is on the 25th (that Saturday). Do any of the rest of you know what day you will be coming up??????

Vana, how about you? Hope you are still planning on coming even if you don't make it for the MOOT.

Well this weather is making me sleepy and it doesn't help that Enzo is draped behind me purring. Greatest little white noise generator I've ever had.

Take Care

Love and hugs
Rhonda
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:03 pm

The dress came from an actual store, believe it or not. I have 3 requirements for dresses or tops: 1. Sleeves--I'm overweight and flabby so I want my upper arms and the bits around my underarms to be hidden! 2. Solid shoulders--I insist on wearing a bra with straps and I insist on them not showing! 3. IF there's a waistline, it has to be LOW (I'm low-waisted, and as I said, overweight), which means straight-cut or A-line, or dropped-waist.

I saw so many gorgeous A-line dresses, but they were all sleeveless and all too small. Dangit... But I have no complaint about the dress I got. :)

I tried on one, though, for the heck of it, which fit me nicely and was black and sleeveless and straight-cut, but it might have done because part of it was a split cape cut asymmetrically, with beaded fringe, and that covered a multitude of sins. All I could think was, Auntie Mame! :D But I don't have the elegant facial shape to pull it off. And anyway, if I flailed my arms to dance, everything would show that I didn't want to. It did give me pause, though. :) I could have worn my mother's rhinestone necklace & earrings set with it... (No, it won't go with the dress I got! I intend to wear pearls with that. Maybe those rhinestones will go with my black beaded pantsuit next fall...)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth