Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VII

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VII

Postby Dimamarthiel » Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Hwesta, I am so sorry for you and of course for your friend and her family. Prayers and hugs for them. Also praying that you have a safe trip. :hug:
The Bard's Guild~Bard of Renown~Bardic Daughter of the Stars
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel
Bardic Daughter of the Stars

Postby Morwenna » Wed May 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Hwesta, prayers for you and your friend and her family.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Padger » Thu May 15, 2014 5:28 am

Best wishes and caring thoughts for you and Phillips family Hwesta. When someone so young is taken from us it always seems so unfair and cruel. You're are such a true friend for wanting to be with Kim during a time when she is going to need a lot of support and comfort. Have a safe trip there and back again my friend :hug:
Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Thu May 15, 2014 11:40 am

Hey Sweetie

So very sorry to hear about your friend's son. I will keep you and your friend in my thoughts.

Dr. B
Chaser after loose Greyhounds
Slave to all cats
Proud citizen of MACadamia

"No, my neighbors, never think
that path is a short one; you must
have a lion's heart to go by that way, it
is not short and its seas are deep,
you will walk it long in wonder, sometimes
smiling, sometimes weeping."

-Attar, "Parliament of the Birds"
dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu May 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Hwesta my heart and prayers go out to the young man's family and for you. God has a plan though we may not understand it now. :hug:

I started my new part time job today and I love it!!! My feet hurt and I am very tired but it sure feels great to be working more now. :thumbsup:
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Thu May 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi

Just past the midnight hour here. Chilly and rainy the last few days. I think it is my fault. We were in the 80's and then I went and put the screens in the doors and bought the new fans and POOF!!! the weather changed. Dagnabit. We even have a frost advisory for tonight. Hopefully the rain and clouds will continue to prevent that.

Vana, I am so happy for you :clap: :hug: . Its a wonderful feeling to start on a new job. After all the ups and downs you certainly deserve this. Take That!!! Home Depot! Hopefully next year you two can venture into the wilds of the Michigan. Sure do miss seeing you and sitting out on the porch just relaxing.

Dima, I think it would be so lovely if you can make it next year. Plan on staying at least a week or more if you want. I so look forward to seeing you again. It would be great if Vana could make it also. Would be like Toronto all over again.....without the convention....and the Medieval Times......and the slush....and all the crazy people in costume. I still remember some guy at the hotel asking me if there was something going on at the hotel.....this as two elves, a wizard and a hobbit strolled past. Remember the dance where the one guy came dressed as Sauron's finger complete with ring :rofl: . I still think that was the most creative costume. I would love to send you some of our rain and cool temperatures. I know there is still severe drought going on in parts of California as well as extreme heat and wild fires. Everything here is so lush and verdant green. Now if only we could get our temps up a little. Would be very happy with mid 70s. Our thunderstorms never got to full strength. We had some boomers and a little lightning but mostly it was just rain. Love to go over to the Lake and watch the really massive storms sweep in. Talk about dramatic.

On a good note, I'm seeing some green on the Kraken........It's ALIIIVE!!!!! (Dr. B does her best Young Frankenstein impression)

Guess I had better get downstairs and let the hounds out one last time before going to bed. I think I just popped my jaw yawning.

Night, Night :sleep:
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri May 16, 2014 12:12 pm

I'm delighted about your new job, Vana!

I had the followup appointment yesterday and the tape came off. It looks ugly to me but the surgeon said it'll heal beautifully. The second one was Benign, BTW! But I'll still have to have the radioactive iodine thing next month because of the first one.

And Monday I'll be back at work, and good thing too because I've gotten way too lazy hanging around here, getting up whenever I darn please. Time to get back into routines.

I started knitting the afghan I'd been promising myself for the last few years, but it seems I've forgotten how to cast on! And all the online instructions and the books that I can find around here don't look anything like I remember. I'll have to rip out what I've done so far because I botched up the cast-on so bad. Oh well...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilestel » Fri May 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Hello to all

Hwesta :hug: :hug: be safe my friend

Morweena glad to hear your heading back to work and sounds like your spirit is smiling :hug: :hug:

Vana well if you and Dima are headed for the moot next year count me in!!! :drink: :clap:

Boots give the critters a big hug and fat girl an extra treat
Love to all,

GIL
Gilestel
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun May 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Not sure yet Gil but I am sure going to try and with the two jobs perhaps I can swing the cost!! :hug: :thumbsup:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Hwesta » Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, dear people, I'm back. It wasn't an easy visit. Kim and her DH are hurting so much. Words really don't cover the situation. Thank you all for your support and kind wishes.
:grouphug:
love
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby Dimamarthiel » Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Hwesta, am glad you are back safe. So sorry about your friend. :( I can't even imagine how I would feel if my son passed away. I am sure that you were such a comfort for your friend. You are certainly a good friend.

dr_b, I would love to spend a little extra time with you next June. :) Yes, the finger with the ring was a great costume. :D I have a great picture of it in my scrapbook! Those were good times all right. Glad that the thunderstorm didn't pan out the way it could have and that your Kraken is still alive. Our weather today was wonderfully cool in comparison to what it was last week.

Morwenna, I am glad you are doing so much better. :hug: Good luck with your afghan. I haven't knitted one in years but I do crochet them all the time. I find crochet to be easier that knitting. Maybe you should try to crochet one.

Vana, I am going to make every effort to go to the Moot next year. I really hope you can go too. It would be wonderful. :thumbsup:

My tomato plants are almost as tall as I am. :Q They are full of tomatoes and I can't wait to bite into a sweet, juicy, ripe one. Nothing like it in my opinion. My strawberries aren't doing as well as I had hoped and I have babied them. :roll: At least my blueberries are doing good. I've gotten quite a yummy harvest from them.

Padger and Gil, :hihi:
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 pm

It would be awesome to see you again Dima!!! :hug: :D This time I wont be so overwhelmed by all the people either. I will honestly get to know you better!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Padger » Tue May 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Howdy !!

Over the past few months I've been following your posts and it's so good to read that things are going well for you all. You are a fantastic group of ladies and best wishes to each and every one of you :grouphug:

This years moot sounds like another exciting and fun filled gathering. For those of you traveling please do so safely. Plans for next years "mega moot" appear to be formulating also with Vana and Dima planning to attend. All I can say is brace yourself Mooterville !

Take care my friends and enjoy.

Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 am

Well Cap'n Kathy is always happy to see us! I know St. Joe's loves our spending and we usually behave ourselves as ladies with one gent. :D I have not been able to attend a moot since 2010 so I am long overdue!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Wed May 21, 2014 7:56 am

Hi everyone

Well we got our spring/summer weather back! After going through frost advisories and lots of chilly rain, we were back up in the low 80s yesterday. Guess I will have to get those fans put together now. I sat out on the back porch last night with the jalousies open and the little table fan going. It was so pleasant, reading and sipping some wine and listening to the train whistle in the distance. Quiet moments you cherish.

Had the best kind of thunderstorm last night. Thunder rolling off in the distance, flashes of lightning and a spattering of rain. Love the sound of the thunder and afterwards a nice cool breeze blowing in.

I did find out that my water lily made it too :thumbsup: . Such a relief. The past rains have left about 3 or 4 inches of water in the bottom of the pond and that with sunshine has jump started the lily. Still no butterfly bushes though. Looks like they are all dead. This weather we are having now must be perfect for growing things. I had a little pot of comfrey on the front steps that I hadn't gotten planted last summer. The darn thing is growing like crazy.

They are having the Senior PGA tournament here this weekend. Good for the local economy but for those of us living here its a mess with traffic and road closings and such :roll: . They are having concerts in the park across the road from the library today through this weekend so there are multiple road blocks all around which means finding a way in to work and then finding a place to park.

If any MOOTers are interested, the weekend of the MOOT they are also having the "Lest We Forget" reenactment again down at the beach. I enjoyed the day at the beach and all the planes, landing craft and even the flame throwers but the walk was a killer. This is going to be the battle for Okinawa as well as the landing at Normandy and a tribute to Korean War veterans and the battle of Inchon.

Speaking of the MOOT, has everyone decided when they are coming and leaving? I thought Nim said they would get here Thursday and leave Monday. Nun I believe you were coming up either Wednesday or Thursday and leaving Sunday. Don't know about Borin and Jessie. Hope they still plan on making it. I do want to try that pulled pork recipe was so scrumptious.

Dima, I sure would love it if you can make it next year and can stay and visit beyond the MOOT. Lots of things to do and see or just sit on the porch, watch the fireflies and talk...or doze which many folks who visit seem to be prone to...especially on the porch swing :wink: .

Vana, keeping my fingers crossed that you and Ryan can make it back.

Gil, you better make it next year. Doctor's orders. :hug:

Well guess that's all folks. Catch you later. Off to see the new X-men this weekend and maybe catch the Winter Soldier again before it leaves the theaters. Sigh....my life is so exciting.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Padger » Fri May 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Howdy !

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend everyone !!
Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri May 23, 2014 10:00 pm

You too Padger!!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Sat May 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Hello all MACadamians

Just wanted to wish all of you a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

BTW, for the MOOTers, I think there is a hoot owl (possibly a great horned owl) right outside the house. Heard it last night before I closed up for the night. Sounded like it was in the buckeye tree right beside the gazebo. I know I would always hear one in the woods by the river over the last several years as well as a screech owl. I certainly hope it stays around. Love the sound of owls.

Bye-bye

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Dimamarthiel » Sun May 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day all! :D
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel

Postby dr_boots » Mon May 26, 2014 9:37 am

Hi everyone

Hope you all are enjoying the holiday! Such perfect weather for it (here at least). Cloudless sunny skies, temperature around 75, gentle breeze....what more could you ask. Just got through with MOOTerville's little parade from town out to the cemetery. Later today Carol and her husband are coming over and we are going to try to get the dead butterfly bushes out as well as take down some limbs on other trees that broke off during winter storms. Looks like the Kraken is actually stirring to life on both sides of the fence. Will have to cut it back. Lot of dead canes.

By the way for the MOOTers who know Carol so well...she is a grandma now. Her oldest son and his wife just had a baby boy. They live in Utah but don't know when she will be able to get out there to visit as her youngest son is graduating this coming weekend. Drop over to her facebook page and give her a shout. Just don't call her Granny Coffin (or do and don't tell her I mentioned it) :wink:

Went to see the new X-Men movie yesterday with my cousin. It was OK just not as fantastic as I thought it would be based on reviews and my own love of the X-men. Doubt I will see it again and if I do it will be only for the best part of the movie which was Quicksilver's part and his breaking Erik out of his Pentagon cell. That segment alone was worth the price of admission. My cousin and I laughed and cheered so hard. What a hoot. Funny because before the movie I thought that character would be the one I liked the least....go figure. What a pleasant surprise. I guess its still Captain America: The Winter Soldier as best film I've seen in a long time...at least until the last Hobbit film comes out and even then I think it will be close race.

Well Joe and Carol are now home so guess I had better go gird my loins so to speak to tackle the butterfly bushes and the evil Kraken.....just call me Captain Nemo.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 26, 2014 9:45 am

Happy Memorial Day!

One of the commentators on the radio this morning reminded listeners that the move to a long weekend for the holiday helped people to forget the real meaning of the day.

This same station plays classical music during weekdays, from about 9-4, and on patriotic holidays they feature American composers, or Americans performing European (or other) music. At least once there will be a piece based on, or made up of, various American folk tunes or patriotic tunes. (On July 4 there will be lots more.)

We're lazy. Some years we do an outdoor picnic on this day; today we're having an indoor picnic. This evening, rather: right now it's 12:45 and we're still eating brunch!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi again!

Morwenna, I think one of the reasons folk don't think about the history and meaning of Memorial day is how it gets moved around to give people a three day weekend rather than the original intent. For that matter most folk don't think about the Civil War roots and the honor for the soldiers.

Well MOOTers, the pond is back in service today. Joe cut out the butterfly bush and Carol helped me scoop out the gunk. Refilled now and circulating water again. Once it has sort of settled, I will see about getting some fishies and maybe another water lily. The Kraken continues to amaze me with its tenacity. Its getting sprouts of leaves all along some of the tentacles that I thought for sure were dead.

Must go now and shower and wash clothes. Let's just say that the pond scum and gunk managed to get on both Carol and myself. Probably would have done better to hose each other off first :roll: :P

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon May 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Dr,B we went to the drive in last night for a triple feature. The first being EX-Man Days of Future Past. I enjoyed it but then I have not seen most of them at this point. The second movie was Blended with Drew Berrymore and Adam Sandler some of the humor was a bit rank but all in all a very funny movie. The third was Godzilla. That one either I was too tired for or I just did not enjoy it like the last one with Mathew Broderick. IF you wish to see Godzilla as a good guy then this is your movie. Hard to follow at parts for me.

We got home about 5am and had to be at work by 3:30 this afternoon.. I got 6 hours sleep and am ready for bed right now. I am getting too old for all nighters!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby nunke » Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 am

dr.b What a coincidence! Nunke and I also tackled her pond this past weekend. We transferred the fish to an aquarium, pumped out the pond and gave it a good scrubbing. Not to mention cleaning out the filter - ewww! We had to tear down part of the wall around the pond to get out the ornamental grass that had gotten above itself and run wild. Now the wall has been rebuilt, the pond refilled and the fishes returned to their home. It looks good.

I'm trying to imagine your pond without the butterfly bush and all. Did you manage to dodge the poison ivy? Glad to hear the Kraken is still alive. I just couldn't believe even a Michigan winter could kill it.

:grouphug:
Hwesta

P.S. Just realized I am signed in as nunke. Oops!
nunke
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Tue May 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi all

Too warm today for my taste :roll: . It was 81 on temperature sign in Coloma. Plus very humid. We had a marvelous storm last night. I was on the back porch, evening was falling and I started hearing the rumble of thunder in the distance. It was getting closer and closer and then a flicker of lightning. A rush of cool wind and then the rain started. Not real heavy, just perfect. About then is when I had this brief flash of insight....I forgot to close my car windows. Yup! Wet seats this morning.

Hwesta, that butterfly bush was totally dead...it was no more....it had gone to the great butterfly bush heaven. Joe didn't even have to use a saw on it as it started breaking off. They are very brittle. Root is still there so who knows it may come back. It must have been the weekend for pond scum. My friend Margaret said her husband was cleaning out their pond too. He is still trying to see if any of their fish survived. Their pond is so huge its difficult to tell. Yeah the Kraken is pretty amazing. I don't dare let it know I was thinking of ripping it out or I'll start hearing the brush of tentacles against the balcony railing.

Vana, the only way I can get in three movies in a day is if we have a movie marathon here or at my friends. There are always breaks for good eats and just desserts which helps keep you invigorated. I did like X-Men and thought it was very good but I guess it just wasn't as extraordinary as I thought it would be. Am looking forward to the next as it is supposed to have one of my favorite X-men in it though I think they totally botched it on the casting. That's what comes of having one of the directors cast her boyfriend in the role.

Anyway I have question to ask of the MACadamians. Vana was stumped on this one too. There is a youtube video from the Winter Soldier that uses a piece of Lord of the Rings music and its driving me crazy because I can't place what scene it comes from. The music starts about 0.30 seconds into the video (its a very short video) although you can hear hints of it before that. Anyway, if you can just listen and hopefully the answer will just pop out at you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MHZiHqv4mE

Well my hounds are barking at something....probably a pesky squirrel.

Night, night

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue May 27, 2014 4:57 pm

There's NO way I can do 3 movies in a day!! I cannot sit still that long! (Well, except at the computer... :D) Two is my limit, and that's pretty rare.

Lazy Sunday and Monday; the most exciting thing I did was laundry. We had cheeseburgers (homemade) Sunday and Monday evenings, in keeping with the picnic mentality.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby nunke » Tue May 27, 2014 8:36 pm

HELLO EVERYONE!

I'm enjoying my visit with Hwesta, but must get to bed so we can have more fun tomorrow. :wink:

Dr B - Hero, Hwesta and I put our heads together yesterday and decided we will be driving up Wednesday. We hope to leave early and arrive mid afternoon.

Tomorrow I'll try to make it back and get caught up. I'm behind on my gardening - just set out the tomatoes today.

Love to all!

nun :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
nunke
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Dr. B I had Ryan listen to the music too and he said it is music that has to do with Frodo and Sam. I think it might be similar but I don't think it is quite the same. Just our thoughts on that piece. :whistle:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dimamarthiel » Thu May 29, 2014 12:53 am

dr_b, I listened to it over and over and I think it was from when they escaped from Moria after they lost Gandalf and they are outside and crying on the rocks. :(
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel

Postby dr_boots » Thu May 29, 2014 11:56 am

Whoo!

Thanks Vana and Dima. Its awful having something familiar stuck in your head and just when you think its going to slide into view it slips away again. :roll:

Dima, you are so right. Went back and watched that bit of FOTR and it is the music...which is appropriate for the heart of the Winter soldier. Its grieving for lost friends and those left behind. Captain America lost his dearest childhood friend and protector (or thought he did) on the battlefield in WW II and then he looses him a second time due to years of horrific torture, mindwipes and brainwashing his friend suffered. I think the latter would be the most heartbreaking and hard to bear. That music always brought a tightness to my throat and tears to the eyes, so beautiful and pure.

I cannot believe how much the trees have burst into bloom around here, especially the locust trees. They are literally clouds of white and the scent in unbelievable. I guess the weather has been just perfect these last few days. Even the Kraken continues its recuperation. But the butterfly bushes are still dead.

Nun, glad to hear from you. Glad you and Hwesta had a nice visit. Ain't pond gunk great. :D There has got to be some use for it. My neighbor thought it out to make great fertilizer. I will be looking for you guys early Wednesday then if you get a early start. Hope this phenomenal weather holds out for the next month or so. Less than a month to go...oh my!

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots