Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VII

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VII

Postby dr_boots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:13 am

HI HO everyone!

Know I haven't posted in a while but 50% due to being short handed here at work, 10% procrastination and 40% been particularly down in aches and pains this past week or so which may be due to weather....or just plain getting old. Don't think my hips knees, back and shoulders have ever been this sore. Even getting up to let dogs in or out is a production of groans and moans. Have a weekend to recuperate and Cousin Beth is coming over so will let her do some of the letting in and out.

Morwenna
, I read your post about you "vacation" in Orlando. What a horror! Hope everything is better now. Please let us know.

Vana, I agree with Nim. Love your sig pic. Me and kitties. Love 'em. This time of year with the weather, they seem to get really cozy and cuddly.

We've had the full gamut of weather here. Hard frost, gale force winds, rain, cold, sunshine, warm......I think my body is having trouble keeping up with all that. I've had a baking and cooking frenzy this past couple of weeks. I like the way the house smells when cooking, especially pumpkin and apple pies. I always end up giving most away to neighbors, coworkers or family. I don't know how to cook small portions and I'm just not one to freeze anything.

Well time for me to get back to work. You all take care.

Love & hugs
Dr. B
Chaser after loose Greyhounds
Slave to all cats
Proud citizen of MACadamia

"No, my neighbors, never think
that path is a short one; you must
have a lion's heart to go by that way, it
is not short and its seas are deep,
you will walk it long in wonder, sometimes
smiling, sometimes weeping."

-Attar, "Parliament of the Birds"
dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Hello everyone! :hihi:

Here is a funny. I went to "Trunk or Treat" at my church Saturday night. Naturally, I wore my Hobbit costume! Sadly, no one recognized me. The comment I kept getting was that I was someone out of "The Sound of Music"! :roll: Go figure...

Last week I took Rosie-cat to the vet for a check-up and a couple of shots. Even with using a tranquilizer it is still a very traumatic event. This time they used a muzzle! After the examination the vet said that Rosie's knees on her hind legs had luxated patellas (sp??). Apparently, the knee-cap doesn't stay in place very well. It is worse on one leg than the other. She asked if Rosie ever limped or had trouble getting around. I could honestly say "no" to that. You should see her racing into the bedroom and leaping up onto the window ledge at a dead run! In any case, there isn't much they can do for it. She did suggest I start giving her kitty-glucosimine. The problem is getting it into her...

Morwenna How are things going with you all? Did the travel arrangements work out in your favor? I hope all is well now.

dr. b I hope you are feeling better. *hugs* All that baking sounds wonderful. Love me some pumpkin pie!
I've been getting into soup making mode. Vegetarian chili, potato soup, bean soup.
I was recently introduced to the glories of roasted butternut squash. I didn't think I would like it but ended up eating two helpings. Yum. It is on the menu for this weekend.

Big hugs to all!
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:42 pm

*cries* I want MY doctor! These idjits are trying to kill me! They don't listen and don't take notes, then handout pills! I don't want fricking pills! Especially ones that because of the warnings I shouldn't even be taking!!!!! Praying I win the lottery so I can go to MY doctor and get feeling better.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:45 pm

I feel your pain Heather and know just what you are going through. Hang in there hon! My prayers are with you!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:38 am

PB, I feel for you, I really do. ((()))

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while; I forgot that I sort of left you folks hanging. First they were going to let him go Friday, time unspecified (and our flight was Friday!), then Friday came and they said if he went home then he'd have to go against medical advice, so he did, and meanwhile the bellman at the resort got me a better deal with a private cab than I had found on my own, to take me and our stuff to the hospital and then take us both to the airport. We came home without incident Friday evening, then Saturday we went over to our hospital's ER and hubby got checked in. They got the Florida results faxed to them and tested him again, and found that he had, of all things, pasteurella, which comes from animal bites!! He's positive he wasn't bitten by an animal while we were gone, and if one of our cats managed to get saliva in any open wounds on him (I'm sure they didn't bite; even when Mackie is hyper he doesn't break the skin), he would have had to be carrying the bacteria for nearly a week before it manifested! This is one for the books, in my opinion. Anyway, they kept him for 6 days on IV antibiotics and wanted to switch him to an oral antibiotic, but it would have clashed badly with his regular meds, so instead of keeping him any longer they released him with a prescription for a portable IV med, which was delivered to our house, pump and all, and a nurse came to instruct us how to use it and change it daily. He had that for 9 days, and he's finally Free, Free I say!! :D At least he wasn't hooked up to a pole; the pump is worn on a strap around the neck (or the waist, if you're skinny), and was timed to go for an hour at a time, 4 times a day. He did get out & about a couple times, but he's still glad to be rid of it. :)

So on Halloween I went to see the decorated houses and the people having fun, as I do every year, and I still miss the days when we lived on a side street and could participate like that. (But I do NOT miss that much smaller apartment!!) And I still have to take our indoor Halloween decorations down, and replace them with the harvest stuff that I didn't have room for before.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilestel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:55 am

HIGH HO!!!!!!!AS BOOTS WOULD SAY!!!!

BEEN REALLY QUIET ON MAC!!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE WINTER IS HERE IN THESE PARTS
ITS TRUE THE OLDER YOU GET BLOOD BECOMES THINNER AND COLDER YOU STAY-------------I HAVE ARRIVED :shock:

VANA HOPE ALL IS WELL OUT IN THE NORTH PACIFIC WITH YOU AND RYAN

HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING TO ALL MY MAC FRIENDS!!!

SEE YA SOON ELRHONDA!!!!! CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY A NEW VICTOR SHALL BE CROWNED!!!!

GIL :grouphug:
Gilestel
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Gil we love that game as well. Ryan's sister has the bigger blacker box and has left it with us for over a year now. Love love love to play that game with folks.

Well though we have had plenty of flooding of late, terrible rain and wind storms, we are doing very well. The mountains once more have snow upon them which is much needed. The weather has finally turned cold. lows in the 20s and highs in the 40. I now have a full fledged cold and sinus infection. Fun! But am working and trying to keep warm.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my MAC pals!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby NimrodelSong » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 am

Hi everyone!

I'm working three 10-hour days this week just to get Thanksgiving off. For the next 3 days it's gonna feel like I live out here in the office. Oh well. I also will only have to work 5 hours on Friday.

We're into nippy weather too, esp. yesterday (Sun.) our kids and their cousins and families are going different directions with family on Tgiving Day, so we all had our Tgiving celebration yes. afternoon. Our daughter Beth made some pumpkin pie and chocolate cake that was to die for :heart: Actual Thanksgiving Day, not sure what we're gonna do. Keith's mom isn't much up to fixing a big meal, we may go with her to Cracker Barrel.

I do hope that all of you have a wonderful THANKSGIVING :grouphug:
NimrodelSong
Kentucky Woman

Postby Morwenna » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:08 am

Spare a thought for me tomorrow. The mammogram of two weeks ago caused them to ultrasound me last week, which caused them to set me up for a biopsy tomorrow. I've been encouraged by so many people it's happened to, but still...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Loving prayers and thoughts with you Morwenna!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Padger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:32 pm

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

To all my MAC friends
Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:07 am

PADGER!!!!! I am so glad to see you posting here again!! We have missed seeing your smiling posts here. How is life going for you and your lovely family? Happy Thanksgiving!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Padger » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:28 am

Hey Vana !! We're all doing just fine. Thank you for asking. I've been reading some previous posts and hope that you are doing well now also.

Enjoy the holiday and don't eat to much

*hugs*
Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:48 am

:D :D Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all! :D :D
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello Everyone

Yes....I'm still alive. :roll: :roll: :oops:

Sorry for being in absentia for so long. Been dealing with some issues. Had to have Happy, my oldest greyhound put to sleep the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It was time and the previous several days saw such a decline in the quality of her life, I knew I had to do something. She's gamboling along with MM now. Both of them feeling happy and healthy. I know Mojo and Antonio are there too.

Also it seems my arthritis has really been giving me fits lately. Some days it seems I can barely make it across the room. Some is due to weather, I know and some is due to my devolution into an old codger.

Hope everyone had a really good Thanksgiving. I stayed home and had pizza, chips and a beer. Wasn't really in the mood after having to let Happy go. My aunt and cousins had Thanksgiving over to their house but I declined. Not much of a turkey fan anyway. I think if the Pilgrims would have had pizza, the Thanksgiving feast would have included peperoni and lots of cheese.

We had our first snow about a week ago. It was a very wet snow and about 4 inches. Next few days were up in the 50s so it didn't last long.

Has anyone watched the extended edition of BOFA yet? I got it but am waiting until Gil comes in a couple of weeks to watch it.

Gil, lookin' forward to the 19th. Fat Girl says bring lots and lots of treats 'cause she's STARVING. Just skin and bones.

Morwenna, hope everything turns out all right for you. How's your husband doing?

That's about it for me.

Love and hugs for all.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:24 am

Dr.B, Ryan picked our copy up the other day, not when it first came out, and we watched it and really enjoyed it. I did not remember a lot of what happened because I only saw it once at the theater. Guess my geekness was running low about that time. But I enjoyed it even when it was weird and not with the book. I will be watching it again on my day off Friday.

Sorry to hear that you are hurting with the joints and all. :hug: So sorry about Happy but we know he is happy now running the fields of heaven with MM and the other kids.

Gosh where did the year go? I feel like we just started 2012 and already we are headed into 2016! :shock: :Q

We have been getting real cold at night and then our days have been creeping up to the 40s. Last night we got another warm spell coming through. Wish it would make up it's mind cause my sinuses are killing me now.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 pm

It's gotten cold here too. Time for double shirts!

The biopsy came out benign!! Hallelujah!! :D

We had Thanksgiving dinner here with 2 friends, then went for the weekend to Maryland to a SF convention. Then after we got home we both got a stomach bug, one at a time (he started), so I ended up taking 2 days off from work, and now I have to go back tomorrow... Don't get me wrong, I like my job and I'm extremely grateful to have it, but hanging around home feels SO nice... :) Last night we went to a friend's party, for 6 hours, and I'm surprised I held up that long!

Now to belatedly get the rest of the autumn decorations put away and the Christmas ones out... :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Hello!!!

Morwenna, that is great news concerning your biopsy. I know it must be such a relief for you. :D

Vanna, I have to say I love you sig pic. All they need are some spears and shields.

I brought Happy home yesterday :( . Really strange driving with her ashes in the front seat of the car. She always loved to go for car rides but with her health it had been a while. So I took a few scenic routes along the way just for her.

Its warmed up here and supposed to be all weekend. It was 56 when I came in to work. You can almost fool yourself it is early spring. Don't think we're going to have a white Christmas but that is not that unusual. Our big snows come in late January and early February.

Vana, was reading about the horrendous storms in the Pacific Northwest. Hope you weren't impacted by them.

Well a little over a week and Gil will be visiting. No new Hobbit movie to go to the midnight showing. Kind of sad. Like the end of an age. I guess we will watch the extras for BOFA as well as the EE. And we have Cards Against Humanity to look forward too.

My next big -gotta go to the midnight showing- movie is Captain America: Civil War. Have to wait until May though which seems mighty far off :roll:. Just have to twiddle my thumbs and gaze at my "man walls" :D :D Not too onerous a task.

That's about all my news for now.

Love & hugs
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby LalaithUrwen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Stopping by to wave hello! :hihi:

It's nice to find you all still here. :)

:grouphug:
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 am

Lali!!!! So happy to see you still about!!!

Yes the storms have been hard. So much wind and rain. I tell you I love rain but I think I have had about enough for this winter already. I know I am sick of the wind! We have had wind and rain now for like several weeks and the poor river is at the flood stage and does not get a chance to go down. I might need to either build a boat or buy a kayak so I can keep getting around. It hasn't been terribly cold but the wind will cut through iron some days.

I don't remember after BoFA what movies I have been to the theater to see, I know I missed Age of Ultron (still have not seen it) but Ryan got us tickets to go see the new Star Wars movie on the 20th. Honestly I would rather go see just about anything else then Star Wars but I will go along and smile and try to enjoy it for his sake.

Hwesta, I cut my hair off again. This time just because I rather enjoyed it shorter and it was so much easier to take care of. So after dying it black for halloween, I have now cut it short so it can grow back out to its natural color with fiber optic white highlights! ;) I miss you my sweet sister of the heart!

Dr.B and Gil I am so jealous that you are getting together again. I miss you both and would love to spend time with you again. Lord willing this coming summer!!! **fingers crossed**
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LalaithUrwen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:19 am

The weather does sound frightful out your way, Vana. I have friends who live in Port Angeles, and they have just had a heck of a time. That might be mostly related to the husband's commute to Seattle, though. I do know that, up on the mountain where they live, they've battled a lot of high winds, losing power and having limbs damage things.

I just sort of have to start the conversation there—not that I'm trying to be rude to anyone. (Dr. B., I am sorry about your baby. :( ) But I can't go back and try to catch everyone. Sorry.

:grouphug:
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 pm

We had cold sunshine yesterday all day long. But alas today was back to wind and rain again! It is not looking like we will be getting any snow for Christmas which is fine with me. Too many nuts do not know how to drive in the snow here. I don't mind how green everything is with all the rain, but I would love some more sunshine for Christmas!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Well! We FINALLY got our tree! Today!! Right now it's in its stand, on the living room card table, fluffing itself out. Tomorrow we move some stuff to make room for it on the floor, after we vacuum. By then it'll be ready for the lights. We'll have to do that after we get home from a friend's little gathering. Monday, once the lights are on it, I can put on the ornaments.

We've had unseasonably warm weather for over a week, a lot of it with overcast and occasional rain. But now the clouds have parted, and it's seasonably cold, in fact trying to snow though nothing has come of it yet, but we did get spoiled by the warmth. Time to get out the mufflers!

And this morning I FINALLY got all the holiday cards to the post office!!! :D This afternoon we did most of our gift shopping; all that's left is the alcohol, but hubby says he can do that any night this coming week. He says he still has to get something for me. I got his gift a week ago, though I did order him something else online; if it doesn't come in time for Christmas I'll save it for his birthday in January.

And this week we have to bake. He bakes cookies and poundcakes for additional gifts, though because we're not going to our usual gathering on Christmas Eve there are a few we don't have to make this year, or at least for a while. But we will be going to a New Year's Eve party, so that will mean more baking next week instead.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi everyone!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that Gil made it here safely, arriving yesterday about 3:00. We are now getting ready for our Cards Against Humanity game. Just waiting for the other players to show up. Went down to the beach today so Gil could get some more rocks. She wanted to get some of the larger ones for her garden so we went to Lions Park. Sunny and windy with lots of high waves and the water was a beautiful blue green color with foaming white crests.

Tomorrow is supposed to rain so we may just stay inside and watch movies.

Well it looks like someone just pulled in so I must go greet tem.

Take Care
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:54 pm

The small gathering this afternoon didn't happen because the hostess called to say she had got a bad cold and needed to go back to bed. :(

So instead of doing the housework about the tree (still on the table) I'm goofing off on the computer and hubby's been following the Packers game on the laptop, and now he's making supper... :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:58 pm

We went to see the new Star Wars movie today. It was good. I was so tired that at one point I did drift off but only for a moment! No spoilers I promise!

Rhonda give my love and a HUGE :hug: to Gil for me!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 pm

We're saving Star Wars for next week when we have some time to spare.

We bought most of the rest of the gifts today, and the food we need for baking. Hubby says he still wants something else for his nephew-in-law, and he hasn't bought mine yet. But otherwise we're done.

Decorating, though, is another matter. We got such a late start this year it's pathetic. The living room is finally ready for the tree, but as I type it's after 10 PM and neither of us wants to start a project at this hour; we got home less than an hour ago and we're tired. Tomorrow: the tree, and the first of the baking! And I should start the wrapping; I'd hate to have it all to do Christmas morning! But that has happened in the past.

I'm reminded of what my mother told me: when I was very little, they would put up the tree on Christmas Eve after I'd gone to bed, and tell me in the morning that Santa put it up. How did they ever manage??? But it didn't take long before they started getting the tree a week before Christmas and told me that we should have everything decorated and ready for Santa when he arrived. I can't believe the pressure they put themselves under until they got sensible! But look at us now; four days before Christmas and we're in possession of a bare tree. :roll: And it's a pretty tree too: nice and even, and full.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Hello to all MACadamians

Gil left this morning about 10:00 so she should be home around 3:00. Really had a good time. Lots of laughs with Cards Against Huminity. Last time we played, my cousin Beth got a headache from laughing so hard so this time she took some ibuprofen before we started. Jill as usual was busy looking up definitions on her smart phone and we found the definition for one word "swooping" was when someone surreptitiously looks up definitions on their phone. That got some good laughs.

Gil and I stayed in all day yesterday. It was so gloomy and rained all day we just hibernated and watched movies. Finally watched the EE of BOFA as well as some of the extras. I am glad that Thorin's (and Kili and Fili) funeral was put in. I do think there are a bit too much in extended battle scenes but that's PJ for you. Glad Alfrid got his come-uppance.

Fat Girl (Jabba) probably gained a few ounces from Aunty Cindy being suckered into handing out treats. All the critters got lots of extra attention from Gil while she was here.

It was joy having company these past few days.

Now its back to work.

All of you have a joyous holiday!

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Padger » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:30 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Wishing each and every one of you a happy and enjoyable Christmas !

*hugs" to all
Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:31 pm

The tree is decorated. The tabletop tree is not, yet; it's going to get the leftovers from the big tree. But not tonight. Hubby falls asleep in his recliner and gets to bed in the wee hours, which wakes me up, and I can't get sleepy again till I'm at work. This is not good. I'm thinking of telling him to either go to bed when I do, or stay in the chair till I get up in the morning!

So I give myself about another half hour on the computer and then I'm going splat! :D It's 9:30 PM right now.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth