Followers of Eru, the first decade! :D

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Followers of Eru, the first decade! :D

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:01 pm

Welcome to the Followers of Eru, a guild for Christians of all denominations and backgrounds. :D

We're here to talk, pray and enjoy cheesecake (and other yummy snacks!)

Come on in, find a comfy chair, say hello! We are also here to try to answer questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

If you have a prayer request, please note in bold so we don't miss it. :)

But WHY is the rum always gone?

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Re: Followers of Eru, the first decade! :D

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Re: the last post on the last thread

Thank you, toothy one. :hug:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:16 am

Oh, look! A shiny new thread!

:love: <3 :love: <3 :happydance: :love: :happydance: <3 :happydance: :love:
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Billobob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:57 am

Since there's a new thread for this I think it's a good opportunity to join this group :happydance:
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Welcome BB! Tell us a little about yourself!

As my name suggests I'm old, well, older than most and younger than some. Happily married for 40+ years, mother of 5, grandmother of 6.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

Old_Begonia

Postby Billobob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Well I'm a Teenager but I'm not going to say anything else about my age though, but here's some more about me:I enjoy reading (especially LOTR and the Hobbit), I occasionally ride my bike, I also occasionally play video games and when I do I usually play Super Smash Bros Brawl on my Wii (not Wii U), I love learning new things, I love telling others about new things, and I often write down stories or make my own secret codes or languages. my birthdate is June 20th. Sorry that was a mouthful, well that's a "little" bit about me. I was thinking of joining the teens of Eru but I don't think they're still around are they right? But I think I'll really like this threads since it involves two things I really like: talking to other Christians and posting on TORC. Even though you can't compare things of God to the Internet.

:TORC:
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Hey, a new member! :D We're not extremely active...like we once were...but we keep things going because we all need somewhere to talk about things on our hearts with like-minded people. But I'm glad to see you here!

I got my staples out today. Actually had quite an active day and ended up sore but happy. I'm off work for the next month, so I have two prayer requests related to that. 1) That we'll be OK financially. Rob (my husband) is laid off right now and while they've had some sporadic work, it's not enough to be brought back full time. The next three weeks I'm off are unpaid. 2) I'm going to work on updating my resume and getting some applications out. I've been doing some praying on what God wants for me...to stay at my current job or move on. If I stay, I've told Him, some things need to change...either me or them! :D

OB, how are you doing these days?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Billobob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks for the welcome. Do we respond to prayer requests with posts or are we just supposed to take note of the prayer request and pray for them. :?.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:33 am

Billobob, prayer requests are typically handled off line. However, there have been [rare, maybe 2 or 3] occasions when I've posted a prayer for someone here.

Hi Iris, glad recovery is going well. One day at a time applies to many things!

I will keep your prayer requests in mind. Would you consider moving for work? What kind of work does Mr. Brandybuck do?

As for me…well, it’s all about the kids and grandkids, you know. My oldest daughter’s husband, Jesse, had back surgery #3 yesterday. We are hopeful this will be the one to get him on the road to full recovery, or at least sufficiently able to be able to get up and participate in the family. He’s been in such pain he’s been nearly bedridden for quite a long time. For a few months last year he was working from home for a call center. He was even able to drive (5 minutes) to his parents' house to “work”. They have suitable furniture (Jesse is 6'4", >280 lbs.) and a quiet home (as opposed to his home with his chatty wife and two :horse: :thppt: :clap: :happydance: :angeldevil: :hair: VERY active little kids.) But in January something went wrong with his back and his leg started giving out. The pain has been terrible ever since. So…prayers for a good recovery, and for him to take it slowly. Pride has hampered his recovery in the past. Being told to walk 50 feet, he said ‘oh no, I can walk much farther than that’, and derailed his recovery from the get go. So…yeah.

And…
His wife, my daughter, is pregnant with their third child. They just found out.

Next oldest, the guitar teacher (BA guitar performance; MM guitar; Suzuki method instructor) and his wife and two daughters are doing well, but looking at a big transition as she quits her job to stay home with the girls. Her last day is April 9, I think. I’ve been watching the girls 3 days a week, part of the day so he can go to a couple of different prisons to teach guitar. It pays well, but the money is from grants, I think, so it can go away. And one of the prisons is about 100 miles away. He doesn’t mind the drive. Most of his teaching up until now is done in the evening. But with his wife home to care for the kids, he will open up more afternoon time. My concern for him is that, while he’s great with the girls when he has them to himself, the minute their mother shows up, he checks out. I don’t think he realizes how much he’s doing what he saw modeled by his own father, who was always ‘there, but not there’, either teaching, (Mr. Begonia taught piano in our living room for many years) or on the phone or balancing the checkbook or???

Next up is 2nd daughter, seen in my sigpic below, recently returned from several years in NYC, is looking for work as an EA (Executive Assistant) (preferably bilingual French/English) in the San Francisco area. She is also hoping for and expecting a proposal of marriage from her longtime acquaintance/recent boyfriend. So much is in limbo for that kid…

Next oldest, Army, is doing well as far as I know. He calls every once in a while. He’s counting the days til he can get out of recruiting and back into infantry/airborne. He and his wife and two kids live in Oregon, but would love to move back to Anchorage someday, but they acknowledge it’s nice to be a little closer to family.

And last, but certainly not least, the youngest. Air Force. He just finished a tour with AF Tops in Blue, q.v., and is back in his regular job, newly stationed in Minot, ND. I think he’s struggling with the transition from Tour, being with someone 24/7, like living in a dorm for nine months, all these people become a short-term, pseudo-family, you’re with them ALL THE TIME. And now, suddenly, back to being on his own. But he’s a champ, so he’ll work it out. He’s never been into academics, he tried college three different semesters, but could not keep focus. Military training suits him much better. So he’s got himself registered for TA, which I think means Training Assistance, or something. Basically, the Air Force will pay for whatever classes he takes. I think he already has enough units to get an AA, and only needs another handful to get a BA. But what he REALLY wants is to get married. But, he says, “I’m old. I’m 29…” He wants to find a gal who is serious like him, most likely also military, and who has NOT been married, and doesn’t have any kids. He’s found a likely looking church to go to on Sunday. So we shall see what God will do.

Oh yeah…and Mr. Begonia. :D He will be received into the Catholic Church Saturday evening at the Easter Vigil service. I have worked at keeping my distance, to make sure this is his journey, and not at all my idea. But I confess I am excited. He’s spoken with the priest, one on one, several times over the last week or so. Peppering him with all these questions, talking over different ideas, different things he was taught growing up, finding out that there are many points that are the same, and many where the Catholic POV is different. It’s been really good. And I’m excited to see where God will lead.

In other news, my very infrequent allergies have been kicking my tail all week. I mention the infrequency because it happens so rarely, I don’t remember what helps. I try all the typical remedies, but none of them seems to really do the trick. But, if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year, I will count it all good!

WHEW!! LOL, well Billbob, I think I’ve got you beat, not that it’s a competition, heh heh. Sometimes there’s more to say, and sometimes less. Now to find some hot tea and more Kleenex.

Old_Begonia

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 am

Wow! Prayers for your family, OB! And that's exciting about your husband. :D

My incision opened up a bit, and the choice was to go to the hospital or try to manage on our own. So Rob took medical tape and closed it and I'm on strict instructions from him to be good! :) So I'm trying not to move around much.

I'm an only child and my parents are in their 70s and both with health issues. In fact, this will be the year of the surgeries as we just had mine, then my dad will have his other knee replacement, then my mom will have back surgery. So I can't really move for work. Rob works at a cabinetry shop...they actually do more than that, but that's their main focus...owned by one of his best friends. Part time he works for a monument company. It used to be he did a lot of carving grave stones, setting them, grave digging, etc.when he worked full time for them, but he works more now at trying to keep their computer system going. He's dealing with chronic Lyme disease, which has pretty much destroyed his health...he has vision and memory problems, fibromyalgia, and other problems caused by the Lyme in addition to some issues he developed before the Lyme hit.

I'm not catholic so I'm going to share a fun story. For the most part the churches in our area are really, really good about working together for the community. You don't see a lot of "well, they're such and such so we don't want to work with them." One of the most respected groups is the Sisters of Anawim in the northern part of the county. It started with one woman, Sister Therese, and a dream. From that dream came the Bethany Retreat Center, Young People Who Care (a volunteer group), a women's shelter and a free clinic for the uninsured/poor. So every two years they hold a big fundraiser for the women's shelter and a couple years ago Rob and I went. Rob surprised me, he knows I have a heart for these women and try to help out when I can. So we go to the dinner/dance, and a friend of Rob's found us a spot at a table...with seven priests! Including 2 monsignors! Four of them sitting with us! We had a blast, they were so much fun. :) A couple of them knew us and were picking on the Protestants at the priests' table, but it was all in good fun.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Billobob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am

Wow Iris that's a really fun story :). I hope you get better soon, must be tedious sitting around all the time.

Old Begonia I think it's cool that your husband came to your church. I also think it was really good of you to keep your distance since I know that at least for me pressure is not the best motivator.

Also I'm not gonna be posting during Spring break.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:23 pm

We'll miss you. :)

OB, I meant to add too, have you tried a neti pot for your allergies? I also use essential oils for mine.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Old_Begonia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 am

Iris, no. I saw Dr. Oz use one on his tv show and it LOOKS pretty simple. I just have this notion that when I try it, it's going to go wrong. The though of any liquid going into my nasal cavities is enough to keep me from trying it. And, I'm afraid it may have gone into an infection. The mucus is quite green now. I will probably email my doc tomorrow. It's Easter. I've put up with it this long, I can last another day or two.

Old_Begonia

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:48 pm

It really is easier than it looks. I was having a bad attack a few years ago and regular meds weren't helping. I have a friend who owns a natural remedy shop and she said to give it a try and sold me one (of course!) I figured I'd give it a try and if it didn't work...I could at least say I tried. It was amazing the gunk that came out. Turned out at the time that I also had an infection and ended up taking antibiotics, but I use my pot fairly regularly, especially during the bad months, to keep the stuff out.

I also use lavender, peppermint and lemon essential oils from Young Living.

Interestingly...I haven't had much trouble since I've been off work. I know there's a connection...we have a really bad contamination problem there and we all sneeze and cough constantly. The oils and neti pot help me from getting too overwhelmed, but there are days when Sudaffed is called for.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Old_Begonia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:29 pm

:shock: :shock:
That is scary that your work environment is that bad, but I'm glad you're doing better at home.

Old_Begonia

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:32 am

Yeah. There's a morale issue too...and some other things going on. *sigh* There are good things that make me hesitate leaving. Like, we're all animal lovers and I have not gotten flack for needing to take off for those emergencies. Three times to put pets to sleep and it was OK as long as I made up the time. When my best friend died, even though I came to work the next day, they went easy on me for a while because I was such a wreck. So I'm looking...but I'm more thinking whatever God wants (of course). Whatever that means! :)

Looks like I found a new fount color favorite!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:32 am

Hello fellow Followers! In light of the happenings this past week in the US I was reminded that I haven't been to this thread for a long time, so here I am, trying to stay positive and trust God.

Hi Billobob! A very belated welcome and a slightly belated Happy Birthday! :clap:

OB, very belated congrats to Mr. B for coming into the Church at Easter! :clap: I'm in the choir at my church so I've been going to Vigil Mass for a number of years now, and I LOVE seeing all the baptisms and confirmations, candle-lighting, etc. My parents' church has a stand-in baptismal font and their priest is veeerry enthusiastic with the water. =:)

Any further updates on the job situation, Iris? I saw some of the news over in Talk but might have missed an updated amidst all the Svens and tropics in the TVM. ;)

A few prayer requests for me. First, prayers for my cousin and her husband who were married on Friday, that God bless them as they start their life together. Yaayy! :)

Two, my dissertation is due to my committee in three weeks (according to my advisor, who refuses to believe that the actual deadline gives me an additional 2-3 weeks), so please pray that everything's done and ready to turn in by then, and that I don't spend the following month between the turn-in and the actual defense panicking. :P

Three... I'm not going to assume that everyone here shares the same believes on gay marriage, though I think it's really sad that such a divide exists among Christians. That said... Friday was very, very hard for me, not so much because of the ruling itself but because it drove home exactly how few friends I have who share my beliefs on moral issues. I have many friends I know are liberal in one way or another, and I respect that we're different and hope that we can have productive, honest conversations about heavy subjects like this. But there were other friends I would NEVER have expected to come out as gay marriage supporters, and seeing that hurt me a lot more than I expected. Not just because I was disappointed, but because I no longer had any idea what (if any) common ground I shared with these people. So I guess prayers in part that I'm able to be more open with my friends in the future when it comes to religious beliefs, but also that I'm able to make some Catholic friends and develop a support network so that I don't feel so alone.

:grouphug:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 am

You have me, Sil. :hug: I'm not catholic, but I share your beliefs on this. Our pastor didn't mention it...even though our denomination issued a very strong statement on the subject. My parent's pastor (and I guess he's ours too, as we've been attending services) addressed it directly and preached from the book of Jude Sunday, even though he's been doing a series on Job.

:hug: I know, though, about how tough it was too. I ended up having a couple anxiety problems over the weekend and ended up adjusting my Facebook settings.

Congrats to your cousin! And the dissertation will be fine. :hug: Let us know how it turns out. I'll pray right now before I finish this post...

Done.

In regards to my job: we got some shocking news about two weeks ago. The paper has been sold to a larger media group. It has been a family owned paper for 102 years. We didn't know, but in the will of the last owner, W.K., he had a provision that when our senior publisher, Margie, was ready to retire, the paper was to be sold. Well, at 88, Margie has decided to retire. She has some health issues and has decided it's time. She's been here 70 years. So....

The media group is based out of Indiana and they own over 30 papers. They own a neighboring paper and we know what they went through when they switched over. Our printing will no longer be in-house, for one thing. And they're talking "streamlining." So we're to know today what our job situations are. The assistant editor and one of our paginators (they do page layout) are already leaving, and the senior editor thinks she's out too. Our print time has been moved back to 4:30 a.m. so our deadlines are about 10:30-11 p.m. We've had a staff member from the neighboring paper here all last week and today. We think she's a spy and no one trusts her. She talks A LOT, but today she's said nothing hardly.

Please pray for all of us.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Praying and praying and extra praying! Wow. :( Between the problems with working conditions and the overhaul, you may be better off at a new place, but given how much of a pain applying for and transitioning to a new job is, I can definitely see why sticking around, if possible, would be easier. Any word on the job situations yet? Edit: Never mind, just saw your FB status. More praying! And hugs! :hug:

:hug: Thanks for the encouragement. What I'm really hoping for eventually is like-minded friends in person, but I'll certainly not say no to internet friends as well! :) I too did some major FB adjusting, mostly to prevent myself from saying things I'll regret.

GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm

You're also in my prayers, Iris!

Dr. Pepper on Sgt. Pepper anniversary!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am

Thank you all. :) Tomorrow we meet, as a group, with unemployment. So...we'll see what happens.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:09 am

Morning, all. A quick flyby prayer request: a friend of mine is currently 1.5 hours into a 10-hour brain surgery to remove a tumor. He's been going through chemo, which was reducing the size of the tumor up until just a few weeks ago, when it began growing again. However, they said he was still a good candidate for the surgery, so we're all hoping that this takes care of the cancer.

Please pray for him, his family, and especially his surgeons!

Edit: surgery went well! Last I heard they were doing routine tests, MRIs, stuff like that. Checking on him regularly, but no signs that anything is amiss. During the surgery they did several biopsies of the area around the surgery spot, and they all came back negative. :thumbsup:

GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:25 am

Wonderful! :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:56 am

Update and prayer request -– My friend (Brian) was supposed to be discharged today, but he is still having severe headaches due to pressure from the spinal fluid on his head. After the surgery they attached a lumbar drain to take care of the spinal fluid, and they've slowly been elevating his bed, but the higher the angle the greater the pressure and the more chance for headaches and nausea. Today they removed the lumbar drain, and he's been feeling pretty terrible, which is not only frustrating, it means they can't discharge him because they want him to be able to get out of bed and walk on his own. Please pray for continued healing, and also that he not become discouraged. And of course, praise for the healing that's happened so far! :thumbsup:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:31 am

Done.

How's he doing?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Hey guys and gals, I tell you it's always nice to be able to stop by and see the old Eru guild board still kicking!

Iris and Gwen, hugs to you guys! I'm sorry to hear about all the medical trials that you guys have been either directly or indirectly facing. I will be keeping you guys in my prayers.

It's interesting, we are doing VBS at my church this week. My bride coordinates it and the in-laws are in town specifically from California to help out (we live in Alaska). I am in charge of the 5-7 graders Bible time and am enjoying it big time. We have been talking about trials and fear in our lives in a very child friendly VBS kind of way, but I have been learning quite a bit myself. When Goliath's/Cannanites/fire (bet you can't guess what our first three day topics have been :p) come into our lives how can we face them without fear? It's easy to say God gives us courage, but sometimes it's hard to believe it. My favorite Bible Verse is 1 Timothy 1:7 (reference?) "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and Of a sound mind."

Great verse but hard to rest in in many cases. I have been discovering more and more that my capacity to claim God's promise of peace and rest and confidence in him in times of trial IS directly related to how my relationship with him is doing. The Bible claims that we ar loved and that we are watched over and that we will be provided for but if we don't actually believe it we can disparity and become disenfranchised with God as he allows trials into our lives. We talked about the fact that God allows trials into our lives today, and that the purpose is the maturing of our faith in him to take care of us so that he can use us more and pump more of his power through us into this world.

We also talked about how we are not only given courage but wisdom through the Bible and those around us (friends, family, church body, pastors) to handle those trials wisely. And today we talked about what can happen to people when they experience trials. We used a cooking metaphor (Which I can't), and said that some people are like eggs. They start out runny but when exposed to heat and pressure they become hard. Often times they get bitter and bottle up resentment and their heart hardens toward God. Other people are like carrots. When exposed to heat and pressure they become soft and mushy. They often times start to buy the worlds propaganda and waver and give up on God. But what we want to be like is the Coffee bean! When exposed to heat and pressure it doesn't do much change as it changes the world around it. Through its tribulation we get coffee! (Too bitter, I don't drink it :p) We want to be the kind of Christians that when faced with trials, understand that God is with us at every step and gives us the courage to persevere and the wisdom through His Word and trusted Christian peers to handle each situation well, and as a result of our trust in him the world around us is changed; possibly even others brought to Christ as a result of our sincer example.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. It's been an interesting week and I think God is working in our VBS; even if it is just on me. ^_^ it's been Ed couraging to me so I thought I would share with you guys as well! ^_^

request pray for the rest of our week, that we have wisdom and the Lord will work in hearts not only of the kiddos but also our helpers and leaders and the kids parents.

Love you guys, God bless and use you! :grouphug:

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:41 am

Wow! Sounds like you've been a good kind of busy! :hug:

I'm doing job searching right now. (Yes, I am, really!) We have to have two applications per week. *sigh*

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 am

Any luck, Iris? Praying for you guys still!

Gwen, updates on your friend?

Praise we had some friends who are moving and the house they are going to is pretty well furnished so they gave us a love seat to match a couch they gave us a while ago, and they gave us a media center cabnet/shelf, quest thing. Praise God for awesome friends!

prayer my church needs a new boiler for heating (kinda important in AK). Definitely not in the budget, looking forward to seeing how God provides.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:34 pm

How is the wildfire situation up there, Quill? I have a friend with connections to the mushing community (believe it or not, it's a growing sport around here) but she hasn't updated in a while.

I had an interview on Friday as property manager for a new apartment building going up in our community. Me and about 100 or more people. :) The area is desperate for jobs. No health insurance but the pay is high enough I could probably purchase my own, and would be about twice what I was making.

It will be a while before we know.

By the way, all, we need to be praying for Vana. She's been having some serious health issues including with her heart valves.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Just realized I never repsonded to the fires question, Iris. Honestly I have no idea, as bad as that may sound. Alaska is so huge and has so many different climats that it seems like there always something burnning somewhere or blizzarding or mudslididng, flashflooding, avalanching, etc... . Where I live right now we are way down on that south-western tail that is still connected to the rest of the continent. We affectionately call it the "south-east" because if you look at alaska there is both a "south-east" and a "south-west" on the west coast kinda. The point of geography lesson is that I live in a huge rainforest where our record, I think, stands at 90ish straight days of rain! Not many fires in our nexk of the woods :P
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth