QUILTERS AND CROSS STITCHERS GUILD- We'll keep you in Stitches;)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: QUILTERS AND CROSS STITCHERS GUILD- We'll keep you in St

Postby Old_Begonia » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Okay then, I'm on a roll here. I haven't accomplished thus much in months. Here is my latest. Flannel, from scraps of other things. Machine quilted.
Now I've forgotten exactly how I got that link in there before...

This?
http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0096009/photo ... 105349826/

Or this?
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/deqyveme.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/epuhy4um.jpg[/img]
Here goes. Let me know if/which you see...
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Old_Begonia » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Okay then, I'm on a roll here. I haven't accomplished thus much in months. Here is my latest. Flannel, from scraps of other things. Machine quilted.
Now I've forgotten exactly how I got that link in there before...

This?
http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0096009/photo ... 105349826/

Or this?
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/deqyveme.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/epuhy4um.jpg[/img]
Here goes. Let me know if/which you see...
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh lovely quilt Old_Begonia! A flannel quilt that will be nice and toasty. Could use that here today as it hasn't gotten much passed 5c...fall has arrived. :Q

The first link worked great. Thank you for sharing. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks Telty! It is warm and cuddly! I was thinking I might donate it to a Silent Auction fundraiser at church, but then my daughter pointed out that the fabric I used for the backing was stuff I was SUPPOSED to use for covering the rocking chair in her nursery! We had a laugh over it because she knows I'm just that absent minded. But I think I'd better offer it to her first. There's a fair chance she won't take it though, because she really can't handle randomness. She suffers from a moderate form of OCD and she finds patterns comforting, but random stuff like this quilt drive her bonkers.
In other news, my sewing machine is malfunctioning. I just bought this Singer Curvy 8763, q.v., reconditioned and factory warranted. It worked just fine for the flannel quilt, then on the very next project, problems. I sent a video clip to Singer. I'm hoping I can fix it myself but I'm doubtful.
http://youtu.be/kg6PVgUHh60

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Old_Begonia the Silent Auction fundraiser is a good cause but I would do the same thing too of offering it to my munchkins if it was the same circumstance. :D

Saw the video and you do have a problem. Hope it can be rectified easily. :)
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 am

Ok, so I took pictures of the Fairies as they arrived - not good ones but at least they'll give you an impression. The daffodil lady has sagged a bit in transport. I will take better, single pictures once they're on the wall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13455373@N06/10421579453/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13455373@N06/10421434826/in/photostream/
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 am

Canamarth they are lovely. :D The colours compliment each other very well. I especially like the blues and purples, I myself am still working away on my small projects and they are coming along nicely. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 pm

I can't quite make out the fairy pix on my iPhone, they're a bit small, but they sound lovely.
In the end, I had to take the machine to an authorized Singer repair shop. I live at one end of California, and my sister, who lives nearby, sees her hairdresser at the other end of Cali every six weeks or so. (No, I'm not kidding. She drives almost 400 miles one way to see her hairdresser.) so I bummed a ride and got it fixed.

Meanwhile, I finally shipped my mother's sewing machine off to my nephew's wife. But not before replacing it with an identical one found on eBay.
I don't think I've shared the story here. Briefly, my mother left her sewing machine to the first of her grandsons to marry. It should go to his bride.
My mom died in 1993. So, twenty years later, I finally parted with it. It's a Singer Featherweight 221. But, like I said, I now have one of my very own. So that's that.
And now I am prepping to go to my very first sewing class. It's at a local fabric shop. It's a class specifically for making a spiral sort of tree skirt, using a 9° wedge ruler.
I'll post pix of the final product.

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 am

Old_Begonia how did the sewing class for the spiral tree skirt go? :)
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 am

Telty, it turned out beautifully! I am in the process of uploading pix to a platform that will allow me to add a photo here.

So, what have you been up to lately?

I have finished a couple of quilt TOPS, but...ehh...the actual QUILTING is a whole nuther subject.

Old_Begonia

Postby Dunthule » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Hello quilters! I dropped by Alliances and Guilds and saws this subject.
My wife has recently taken up your craft. 8)
She's watching videos, been one or two conventions (seminars?),....

Anyway, there's one more of ya in the world. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby MrsSmeagol » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:01 pm

I'm making Bilbo's dressing gown (remember the patchwork one?) for my son for xmas. He has said wistfully a few times he'd love one, but I didn't take the bait (or so he thought) so it will be a total surprise. So far it's taken me two weeks or so and am almost at the point I can cut out the pieces (having made the back, both sleeves, left front and over half the right front). I will have to dye the velvet soon, so that will slow me down. Doing it on a 1956 Featherweight machine. I have made it from genuine scraps and offcuts and leftovers so far - only paid out for the velvet for the collar, so it's also used up a lot of old scraps of fabric. I do living history so have a lot of brocades and silks etc - not much velvet. I can't replicate the one in the film so am making an 'inspired by'.
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Old_Begonia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 am

Has this thread really been dormant this long?

Well, I'm here to apply a little CPR.

I have several projects in various stages of completion. One is up on the design wall, all rows waiting to be stitched together. It's called Dancing Diamonds. I have a churn dash in my car which I will take over to a friend's house this afternoon. She bought a Sweet Sixteen machine last year and has been very generous to let me come and use it every couple of weeks.

AAAANNND...I just committed to making a full size quilt for my 3 yo granddaughter who is just now getting into a real bed. (She is rather large for her age and no longer fits in a crib, so her mother used the available conversion kit to turn the crib into a full size bed.)

I have stacks and bags full of individual projects yet-to-be-started. And several quilt tops waiting to be quilted.

What are you working on?

Old_Begonia

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth