QUILTERS AND CROSS STITCHERS GUILD- We'll keep you in Stitches;)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: QUILTERS AND CROSS STITCHERS GUILD- We'll keep you in St

Postby Canamarth » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:38 am

Oh, great to see you still around, Teltasarewen! :hug: Another fellow Daler. Must be a thing. :D Just as stitching dragons, apparently ...

has no wisdom for Lithtaur on quilting or sewing machines, alas :(

But congrats on the baby! :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Sorry Lithtaur That's one craft I've not done....quilting that is so my cross stitching skills can't help you at all I'm afraid. :(

Oh and I just checked and my dragon project is 350 x 349 stitches done on 18 count which makes it just about 20" x 20". So that is...let's see...122,150 stitches give or take a few and it has 90 colours. :woah: And I have about 4 other projects 1 of which is even larger. Why oh why do all the ones I want to do have to be sooo big? Ah well I do enjoy a good cross stitch pattern especially when there are no 1/4 stitches, 1/2 stitches or backstitching. :D

Hi Canamarth! :hug:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 am

1/4 stitches? :shock: I haven't seen those yet. I am just struggling with 1/2 stitches for a small project (dinosaurs ... it's a present). They never come out quite right, I think. And 90 colours, Teltasarewen - that is a LOT!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 am

Canamarth I always found that doing a pattern that calls for say 14 count and there are many 1/4 or 1/2 stitches it is easier for me to work on 28 count over 2 threads so the smaller stitches are much easier to work.

Yeah 90 colours requiring many, many, many changes. Phew! But once it's done it will look awesome. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

QUILTERS AND CROSS STITCHERS GUILD- We'll keep you in Stitch

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:44 pm

**peeks in***

Any quilters in here? It says "Quilters" on the sign outside, so I was just wondering.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Alas Old_Begonia only a couple of cross stitchers hanging around these days. But you never know when one may drop in. :)
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby crystal_seed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:39 am

Welcome Old Begonia!! :hug:
I believe Lithtauer had a question you might be able to answer- and yes, most certainly Quilters are welcome because this thread started up on a cross stitching- quilted project (including weavers as well :) ) Hey, if you have something you're working on, have a seat, tell us all about it, take up your needle and join the crowd :) :hug:

Lithtaur16 wrote::) Hi y'all!
One cross-stitch and a quilt. Speaking of which, I'm great at piecing squares together but everything I've ever done has finished as a pillow. Do you bind off the project and then quilt it or vice versa? I've been trying to finish a Christmas table runner for a year too, it's pinned around the edges and ready for finishing but I'm nervous. I want to hand stitch everything because I hate the sewing machine but it almost would seem easier to do this part on a machine... :(

Lithy- My thoughts on the subject of quilting and binding order - Patchwork/ top design first, then place upper finished piece, quilting material (cotton batting or what you choose for thickness) over the backing- tack it down so it doesn't move, do your quilting stitching through all three layers and then finish off the quilt with the binding.

Heyya Canamarth and Telta!! :grouphug: Can't wait to see your projects- please do post pictures when you get the chance to.
As I wrote to Telta and awhile back- my stitching days are few and far between (though I have some projects I'd really LIKE to finish before my hands so no :P ), my eyesight says otherwise. However, I do have a magnified light source and this is a great boon, so the things I've set aside will be brought out some rainy day to be finished and matted and hung on the wall.
Here's a question for those of you who've returned: Does anyone have a working contact email for Tarina? I've been trying to get in touch with her and the trail has run cold.
Please send me an email- if you do. Thanks :love:

And thanks for breathing life once again into these halls. I've been away, but like with weight watchers- a company of like-minded souls is balm to the busy work ahead, whether it be counting calories and exercise or counting stitches and finishing projects :D
crystal_seed
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:15 am

C.S.! :hug: Good to see you here. I know I'm a fine one to talk after being away for soooooo long. :roll: Hope you find those rainy days to finish off the projects you have and want to do. I shall try to remember to post a pic of my project when it's done. Hopefully not to far in the near future. :D Hope someone can help with Tarina's contact because you know what I am looking for. :wink:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:57 am

Hey, crystal_seed! It somehow seems as if quite a few people have recently crawled out of the woodworks to return to TORC. :)

Can't help with Tarina, though. :(

The dinosaurs are not advancing, though it's not a large piece ... but I have until Christmas to finish it. Am thinking of another few cross-stitch Christmas presents this year. It's been a while since I gave stuff away, mostly hand towels with people's names on them. Maybe I should add flannels. :D
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:59 am

I am in the same boat Canamarth. The piece I am working on is also for Christmas. I'm hoping to get it done by the end of October at the latest. Then I have several more projects I want to do. There's just not enough time in the day to do everything I want to do...sheeesh. :roll: :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 pm

crystal_seed wrote:Welcome Old Begonia!! :hug:
I believe Lithtauer had a question you might be able to answer- and yes, most certainly Quilters are welcome because this thread started up on a cross stitching- quilted project (including weavers as well :) ) Hey, if you have something you're working on, have a seat, tell us all about it, take up your needle and join the crowd :) :hug:

One cross-stitch and a quilt. Speaking of which, I'm great at piecing squares together but everything I've ever done has finished as a pillow. Do you bind off the project and then quilt it or vice versa? I've been trying to finish a Christmas table runner for a year too, it's pinned around the edges and ready for finishing but I'm nervous. I want to hand stitch everything because I hate the sewing machine but it almost would seem easier to do this part on a machine... :(

Hiya back!
I do have a little something in the works, (and a roomful of projects in the wings!) I will post a pic directly.
All the instructions I've read say quilt-then-bind. So far that has worked well for me. I do it pretty much the way CS described, but I stabilize w spray baste and big safety pins, rather than trying to keep it super taught.
I bind by hand because I've never been happy w the results if machine stitched binding, though I have seen it done, and beautifully too. I like using a "invisible" stitch for the binding, I think it's called a blind stitch.

Sorry, I don't know Tarina. Hope you find her.

I'm off to tend my granddaughter, which is why I can't post a pic of my project just now. So here's a pic of her instead. [img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/pysava5u.jpg[/img]
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

Old_Begonia

Postby Old_Begonia » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:40 pm

crystal_seed wrote:Welcome Old Begonia!! :hug:

Hiya back!
I do have a little something in the works, (and a roomful of projects in the wings!) I will post a pic directly.
All the instructions I've read say quilt-then-bind. So far that has worked well for me. I do it pretty much the way CS described, but I stabilize w spray baste and big safety pins, rather than trying to keep it super taught.
I bind by hand because I've never been happy w the results if machine stitched binding, though I have seen it done, and beautifully too. I like using a "invisible" stitch for the binding, I think it's called a blind stitch.

Sorry, I don't know Tarina. Hope you find her.

I'm off to tend my granddaughter, which is why I can't post a pic of my project just now. So here's a pic of her instead. [img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/pysava5u.jpg[/img]

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Well just had to share this. I finished the dragon picture. :D And a whole lot earlier than anticipated. It needs cleaning and framing but at least it's done. :yippie:

Here's a picture. Finished Pic

Ahh now I can take a day or two off before starting another project...hmmm who am I kidding tomorrow will come and I'll be itching to get started. :wink:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:03 am

Holy Moley, Telta'! THAT is ah-MAY-zing!! Where will it hang when finished?

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 am

Alas Old_Begonia it is not mine to keep as just about every piece I have ever done. I tend to give them away as presents or do something for someone else who has asked for a specific piece. I don't think I have one piece kept that I have done. :Q But I do not mind at all knowing that the ones I have done have gone to good homes where they are appreciated. :D

Oh I forgot to say it is a larger piece ending up at about 20 inches x 20 inches.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Here is the most recent finished project: Tumbling Blocks
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/23/utubuqun.jpg[/img]

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 am

Old_Begonia is there another way you could post your pic here? I am not getting anything. :( I'd love to see your project.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Dimamarthiel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Just sneaking in here to see what you all are doing. I also do cross stitch. Not working on any right now. I am making crocheted lap blankets.

Old Begonia, I can't see your picture either and would love to. :(

Telta, what a beautiful picture that dragon is!! Awesome job! :Q :Q
The Bard's Guild~Bard of Renown~Bardic Daughter of the Stars
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel
Bardic Daughter of the Stars

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't know how else to do it. I tried sharing from my photos, but it said something was missing [in the code] so u used the camera icon here. I can see it, but you can't.
Check me out on Facebook: Old Begonia
The pic is there too.

Old_Begonia

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Ok, let's try this again.

Maybe not.

How about this...
http://flic.kr/p/g6PPCY

Old_Begonia

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 am

Yay that last link worked Old_Begonia! :yippie: What a lovely piece. I just love purple. :love:

I'm working on some smaller cross stitch now....a whole lot smaller only a couple of inches x a couple of inches and the first one is only one colour compared to the 88 for the dragon.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 am

:shock: Wow, Telta, that dragon is amazing! How long have you been working on it?

And also the quilt, Old_Begonia. As Telta said - wonderful colour!

:hihi: Dimamarthiel
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:35 am

Thank you Canamarth. :D The dragon took the better part of four months to do. Of course I was lucky to be able to spend many hours a day on it or else it would have taken a lot longer.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:20 am

Four months is indeed no time at all for such a project ...

The exhibition is over but I haven't managed to fetch the Flower Fairies pictures back home yet. :roll: But it can't be very much longer now (famous words those ... :|).
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 am

Hope you get those pictures back soon Canamrth. I'd love to see them. :D

Yeah four months is quite long and it was fun. I have four or five more that I think will take just as long but for now I am working on very small projects. A bit of a rest before digging into another large project. :thumbsup:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:30 am

Yay! First small project done. Only three day to make it. Done over one stitch on 28 count evenweave so it's about 4 inches x 2 inches.

Little Project

It will be trimmed and placed in a cover for an iphone. I have a few more to do and hopefully one for myself before moving on to another large project. :D :yippie:

Canamarth I know it's only been a few days but any word yet on your pictures? :)
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 am

Yes, Telta - they arrived yesterday! But as I only got home at 10 pm, I didn't feel like taking pictures in the dark. I'm not sure if there'll still be light when I am back tonight but I can definitely arrange for a photoshoot on Thursday when we have our national holiday. :)

Oh, what an adorable little project, Telta. And what a cool idea to put this in a phone cover.
And what long nails! Wow.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

Oh good Canamarth. Glad you have them now. I bet you are feeling a bit of relief now that you have them back in your possession. I know I would. :D I'll be sure to check for the photo/s,

Thank you Canamarth. It was a fun project and now I want to do others for iPhone covers (got one started already :D ). As for the nails...well so long as they do not get in the way of my cross stitching I shall keep them long. :wink:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I hate staying up, it's not healthy, I get grouchy, my priorities get skewed but there's a part of me that I have to apologize for and police which involves being bothered when I'm almost finished something and have to make a decision whether to finish it later in favor of something probably more important- like sleep.

The shorter version of this is thanks to a month of 2am/3am bedtimes the baby quilt is finished! :) I started quilting it first, got about halfway through stitching in the ditch, got impatient and started sewing the edging down (I cut the backing big, double folded it over and seamed it), realized I liked how I was sewing the edging, started using the same sewing technique 1/4 inch inside each of the squares and ripped out the threads in the ditch. This is my first quilt! :)
I had to knot all the quilting in the back and bury as many of the loose ends as I could. I think my sis will use it as a wall hanging anyway so I don't really have to worry about knots coming undone in the wash. I don't think the sparkley glue paint we used to decorate it would hold up either.
Will post pictures soon!
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Lithtaur16 I don't know much about quilting but I do know it is a lot of work. Hopefully it all holds together for you and your sister. Looking forward to the pictures. :D
I know what you mean about priorities. I usually find myself staying up later and later when I have a project I want to get done...usually telling myself just a few more stitches...or I'll just finish this one row. Never quite happens that way though. :roll:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth