QUILTERS AND CROSS STITCHERS GUILD- We'll keep you in Stitches;)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby crystal_seed » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:02 am

Rina- Well honey, you're far ahead of me :)... that Christmas Stocking project I mentioned... eh.. I started it when we got married... and that was something like 14 years ago.. :oops: And I still have one for me to do that is just as detailed. If I ever get so far- I shall take a digi-foto of it and put it up here.

Speaking of which- if any of you has a project that you've finished and want the rest of us to be green with envy because we have a heap of projects gathering dust... (I am speaking for myself of course :roll: :P )
PLEASE PUT UP A PICTURE OR A LINK!!! :D:D

I am not sure about bandwidth restrictions and such for this site- if it is a picture here- keep it to a reasonable size and /or make a thumbnail that can be clicked to see a larger version. That being said- I have absolutely NO idea how to do it (thumbnails) - so if any of you do, could you let me know ;) )

I'll see if I can dig up something I've actually FINISHED :lol:
crystal_seed
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:01 pm

Oh my!!!!!!! Hi everyone!! :clap:

Alas I have not picked up any cross stitch since I can't remember the last time.

I have been working full time but now my place of work has closed so now I have time for crafts. And my choice of fun right now is crocheting...but in miniature. :woah:

Yup that's right I have found myself taking regular patterns and crocheting them with smaller thread and very small crochet hooks.

What a hoot!! Hey keeps the fingers nimble and in good working order. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 pm

Hey Telta! :hug:

Crochet in miniature? Sounds scary! :shock: But what do I know? :P

Okay, CS. You wanted a pic or two, you got a link instead.

Link!

The first is my kitty baby, not a cross stitch. The second one is the project I'm currently working on. And the third pic is a project I finished about 2 years ago.

And if you're very lucky, I'll find a pic of my most recently completed project and post it.[/url]
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby crystal_seed » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:28 am

Okay Imi, I'll call you Evie ;) :D

Telta- honey, I just KNEW you'd be back...:D WHAT'S THIS- you've set aside your needle for... needles?? Did we burn you out or what on the quilt project :oops: WOW! Miniature crochet? Are you making miniature clothing then or just pattern pieces... come on. cough up a picture or two ;) :lol:

Rina- hey those are some beautiful projects- I love the Teddybears. :heart: Do tell what guage material and what type of thread you used (if other than DMC- it seems so much new stuff is on the market, and since I have no access to major Craft stores, I'm a bit outta the loop :roll: )

NIce to see some life in this thread again- now all we need to do is dust off the Weavers guild and coax the lovely Wisteria back in there :D

Speaking of cross stitch- I don't know if I shared this one in here- during a bit of housecleaning and renovation- I came across this lovely piece... check out the date :Q (and NO, I did NOT do this sampler.... :nono: .... :rofl: )

crystal_seed
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:50 am

Hey Rina! :hug:

Nope miniature crochet is not so scary. It just takes some patience I've found out.

C.S. :hug: For the time being I have set aside my crossstich needle and taken up the crochet hook. I find that I work when the mood strikes me...and right now it's crocheting that has bitten me. :happydance:

And don't worry you ahven't done me in on the crossstitch. As for pics of what I am doing now I'm not exactly sure how I will go about it. Still learning what is new here.:D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:58 am

Hello Crys, Evie, Rina, Telta!

:)

Oh, I will try to take pictures of my projects soon - before I pack them away. (I was dragging my heels on that project, now I know why!) I have a new Flickr account so I can link photos.

You are all inspiring to pick up my latest, stalled project. I was stitching it while my mother was ill, before she died, so I think I need to just start again and think of her as I carry on with it. She'd want that.

Crys- for a sampler stitched in 1874, I am amazed at the vibrancy of those colors.

Rina, I am absolutely smitten by your kitten!! :love:

And Wisteria, lured back here? Is there a chance?? Oh, that would be wonderful! :D

EDIT: To add these photos. First of a sampler I finished 6 years ago now.
Second of a 9/11 commemorative finished in '03.

I have also stitched a lovely teddy bear which I gave as a gift to a friend - and the Dale and Easterling Banners, which went on the Torc Quilt.

Crys - did you or someone take pictures of the banners?
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:50 am

Bardy! The sampler is absolutely lovely. :) And the commemorative piece very nice.

I too have a tendancy to give away most of which I make so I haven't got much around here to show what I have done. I just love to give them away because family and friends do appreciate the hard work and effort put into the pieces.

C.S. if you had done the sampler considering the date then you would be alot older than we think. :wink: :P
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:12 pm

CS, I actually got the teddy bears in a kit. It's one of the Dimensions Gold Collection pieces.

Here's the website with the fun little description about the design and a link on where to get them, because the Dimensions website doesn't sell their stuff directly.

And Telta's right. If you stitched that there's something you aren't telling us! ;) :P But that is really cool.

Oh, and here's the most recent project I finished.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby MariaHobbit » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Ohhhhhh! That's pretty, Tarina! :)
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby Teltasarewen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:17 pm

I'm with MariaHobbit that is a beautiful cross stitch piece Rina. :clap:

Now see what happens...I've gone and dug up some cross stitch patterns that I want to work on plus my miniature crochet. I haven't got enough hands to do all of it. :roll:

I found one project that I had started work on and had set it aside. It has a large portion of it done. And of course i like to make things difficult (it's done on 28 or 32 count but only over one square and with single thread.:D

It's called Fire and Ice done in red and blues....
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi Maria! :D

Telta, that sounds like a very neat project.

The last project I completed was probably the most expensive project I've ever done. You can't tell from the pic, but there are 13 different colors/types of beads, 5 of which had to be specially ordered because the local shop I use for my specialty cross stitch stuff didn't have them on hand. Then there was the two different shiny colors I had to buy. And to make things even more fun I had to buy 6 skeins of silk floss at $6 a skein. Well, actually, I didn't pay for it. My mom did because it was my Christmas project that my mom gets me every year. All told, she spent about $70 for the whole thing, and that was with getting the fabric for free. :shock:
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:19 am

Rina isn't that the way of things. Some projects can be real expensive especially when beads and specialty floss is involved.

But I just love the cross stitch done with beads and metallic floss. I'm a fan of shiney things.:D

There is alot of work involved whether there are bead or metallic floss or just plain floss. Yet when it is finished it gives one a great sense of accomplishment. :happydance:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby crystal_seed » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:11 am

Bardy- I'm not sure, but we can ask Rina if the site still exists for the Quilt Project. Since I stopped my PM, I lost all the links..... :bang:
Which reminds me- does anyone have a decent digital photo of the quilt? I only had 35mm film, and I don't have a decent scanner.
Beautiful sampler and commemoration piece Bardy!! :heart:

Tarina-
what a gorgeous piece !! WOW!! I am currently working on something that I cannot mention (whoops, already did :oops: ) plus a few other things for gifts and such. But when I say 'currently working on' I mean it in a rather hypothetical sense... as in... when I finally get done with the stuff I have to do, and clear away the stuff I'm supposed to do, I'll be working on the stuff I WANNA DO!!! :roll: :wink:

Telta- all the more power to you!!! :thumbsup: - I am afraid age is catching up with my eyes- and sooner or later I will need those rather funny optical pieces that allow one so see near and far. I just hope I can continue to cross stitch for years to come .... says a silent prayer...... Your piece does sound pretty.

Hi Evie, Hi Maria-:clap:

And NOPE, I'm not telling my age... (though most of you probably know I am ...... :whistle: (extremely well preserved ) :P
crystal_seed
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:50 am

The site might still be up... haven't visited it in quite a while, so I'm not too sure. However, my comp is on the fritz and not working at the moment. So I don't have access to all my links to try and get to the site. And I don't have access to all the pics that are on my comp.

Unless I try something.....
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby crystal_seed » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Thank Goodness for Google :D

You may find close-ups of most of the patches (I say most, because I think the last one or few didn't get up on the site due to time, or because we didn't have an image in time... you understand... I am sure..

Right, ... yes... without further ado..... the site you've all been waiting for...

and some maybe longer than others.... eh.. oh.... :oops:.. yes

CLICK HERE

:D:D Enjoy the trip down memory lane.... 8) I did, and my knees survived the knocks :lol:
crystal_seed
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:34 pm

Oh sure! I have to get off the net to help my mom. Then I dig through Yahoo for about 30 minutes to find the link only to find out CS beat me to it!
Hmmmph!!

:thppt:
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Lithtaur16 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi everyone!

Tarina- That link of your project was incredible! :shock: Do you have a better picture of it and how big was it when you finished?

Crystal Seed- Now ya done it. :lol: I know you're busy but now I gotta beg the question from you... are we going to get a chance to buy a booklet of the patterns in the near/distant future?

Pweeety Pweeety Paw-wease? :angel:

:) Good news: I finished the horse crossstitch I mentioned months ago. I have no idea what my room mate decided to do with it though. She's not living in housing anymore.

Bad news: I forgot to take a picture of it finished. :( It was so pretty too.

More good news: I'm getting ready to turn a bunch of small projects into Xmas bulbs and mini-frames. :shock: Does anyone have any suggestions about making stitching lay flat against round styrofoam?

I've got a few kits to work on too and one thing that I really want to share... I just have to wait until the holly berries come out at my place so I can finish the pattern. :) Playing with my scanner and Pattern Maker are so much fun. :D
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:25 pm

Lithtaur16 wrote:Tarina- That link of your project was incredible! :shock: Do you have a better picture of it and how big was it when you finished?

Umm... better pic, not sure if I got one of those. Pic of how big, most certainly. And I actually know where that one is on the net. However, I have to leave to go to an internetless graveyard shift in about 10 minutes. So I'll post that link tomorrow.

As for booklet of patterns... not sure what we're doing about that. But I can tell you that as of this moment all the patterns I worked on for the quilt, and everything else I've done, are currently buried in the depths of my non-working comp. :bang: As soon as it's working, or I just plain get a new one and transfer all the files over, I'll let you know.

I love Pattern Maker! All sorts of fun can be had with that program. :D
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:40 am

Oh my!! :shock:

So many projects to do so little time. I knew I shouldn't have gone looking on the internet. :roll: It can be a dangerous place....

Now I have found a whole lot of cross stitch that I would love to do. There are at least 14 or 15 patterns that I would like to get my hands on. I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas.:D

A trip down memory lane and what a trip it was. I had forgotten there were so many squares done.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:23 am

Ok.. this is the THIRD time I've tried to write this post... :pull:
I downloaded some windows updates and now, everytime I open the 'view more emoticons' IE crashes... grrrr.....

Anyway...

HELLO Fellow Stitchers and Crocheters!

I managed to open the Link showing your xstitch Rina, very nice! The other link kept crashing my web browser (see above :| ). Never mind - I have a project going that will keep me for a long while yet. :)

Crys - and Rina, thanks for finding the Quilt project site!! I got all sentimental looking at it. :love:

I too would love a TORC pattern book. :D

Rina - if your non working comp's hard drive is intact and undamaged, (and everything else is a write off) you can just yank the harddrive out, buy a casing for it and use it as an external drive - thus gaining access to all the files on it. ;) That's what I've done with three different hard drives. :)

Telta.. I had to read what you wrote three times: "I found one project that I had started work on and had set it aside. It has a large portion of it done. And of course i like to make things difficult (it's done on 28 or 32 count but only over one square and with single thread. " :woah: I bet it will look stunning when you're done!!

Lith so you like Pattern Maker? I downloaded a trial and fiddled with it - at least I think it was Pattern Maker? So, you think its worth it??

And thanks for the compliments on those two pieces, everyone! Hehehehe... I won't tell you what the BACK of 'em look like. ;)

Ok, work break over :D :angeldevil:
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:37 pm

Bardy if I get it finished in this century I'll try and get a picture of it up so you and anyone else that would like to see it can.:D

In order for me to do that how would one go about it when one doesn't have a PM? Any suggestions?

And what project might you be working on? Is one allowed to ask? Is it a secret? Hmmm???? :)
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Telta, why not create a photobucket account for yourself and then you can imbed a link in a post??

:) Or email me the piccy and I will do it for you.

My project? I am stitching a lovely long cross stitch piece on a fabulous piece of Irish linen - my first time working on linen - that reads simply: 'Welcome Friends'.

The intent was to mark this new phase in my life - in moving back to the UK, my parents having both passed - and I want to welcome old and new friends into it. I have felt quite solitary this last couple of years. *sigh*

I will take a picture of what I have done so far and post it up. :)

I bought and Ott true color spectrum light. Anyone else have one? My sister had one for her knitting and I fell in love! It is so clear and bright. :)
I will take it with me to the UK and even though it is 110v I will find a step down transformer and use it!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Tarina » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:31 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:Rina - if your non working comp's hard drive is intact and undamaged, (and everything else is a write off) you can just yank the harddrive out, buy a casing for it and use it as an external drive - thus gaining access to all the files on it. ;) That's what I've done with three different hard drives. :)

I don't know if I'm brave enough to play with the insides of my comp again. Last time I opened it up, I managed to static electrify something inside and unded up spending something like $70 to get it working again. And it's a not booting up problem anyway. Luckily my supervisor's husband builds and repairs comps for fun and profit, so all I have to do is get through the really expensive portion of the year, meaning October, and then I'll be able to afford having him fix it. I'm just happy my mom has a comp that I can use.

Okay, pic of the size of the quilt. Or rather, pics since there are two. Top and bottom.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:06 am

You know Bardy some of the simplest designs can mean a whole lot just by the care, time and effort one puts into them. I think a sign that says Welcome Friends is a great idea. :hug:

And thanks for the suggestions. I shall finish my project and go from there. As to this Ott true color spectrum light, I have never heard of it. Then again I wasn't exactly looking for it either. :roll:

Rina the quilt certainly looks impressive when seen altogether. Just look at all the work that went itno it. :thumbsup:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi everyone! Despite loads of homework I am happy! :)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/B ... nament.jpg

My foray into photobucket... I think I'm in love. It beats the shoes off Kodak and Tripod! :lol: :D

It's also my first ornament. I made it last year but now I've found a way to do them better. I have to either fix the sewing machine or lose my annoyance with the glue gun though. :P :roll:
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Shaal » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:13 pm

Wow, it's been so long since I posted a message I hope I do this right! I'm so glad to still see people hanging out here in the craft boards!

CS- You were looking for a picture of the quilt. I don't have any great photos, but I do have this photo here: http://flickr.com/photos/28955251@N00/150503128/in/set-40776/

As for my own recent cross-stitch work I keep a set of photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/28955251@N00/sets/40776/

Also, I was involved in an ornament exchange project this year and I recently posted this set of the cross-stitch ornaments that I made: http://flickr.com/photos/28955251@N00/sets/72157594379482818/

I still think back fondly on the quilt project we did together! Hope everyone has a fun holiday season!
Shaal
Rider of the Mark

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:43 pm

Shaal wrote:Wow, it's been so long since I posted a message I hope I do this right! I'm so glad to still see people hanging out here in the craft boards!

Wow!! Now, I have been meaning to meander back here ever since I saw this thread pop to the top a while back, but seeing "Shaal" as the last poster was such a wonderful surprise!

waves at Shaal

I truly hope you stop by again, it would be wonderful to hear how the filk music is going too . . . :D:D:D

((I had the immense honour of meeting Shaal a few years ago, she was the very first "TORCer" I met in person and boy, was I nervous!))

;) :D

Oh, right, how unutterably rude of me . . . :blush: waves and grins shyly at the rest of the Guild . . .

Sooooo, howzit goin', eh? :D

Oh, and I have some pictures of the quilt too, somewhere . . . I'll try and dig them up and load them into my Photobucket account if you like . . .

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:55 pm

walks through the quiet workrooms and brushes dust off of the tables and chairs

Wow, this place sure got deserted . . . Maybe a picture or two will brighten the place up again and perhaps lure a few quilters and cross stitchers back? ;)

Or maybe I just wanted to share a couple of my next projects. The first is a Tolkien themed cross stitch picture that I'm going to do for my office/library here at home:

Ford of Isen

The second is a "Celestial Dragon", very beautiful but very, very complex. I'll have to get a picture of it and put it up as well.

Puts the kettle on to boil, then sets the lamps in the windows and settles down to work . . .

;):D:D:D

Edited to add: Here's the Celestial Dragon, as promised. I think this one may be a touch beyond my present skill . . . :shock: . . . (yes those ARE glass beads) . . . the pattern says it's not suitable for Aida cloth, but should be worked on Monaco fabric (which I've never done). Eeeep.

But it's soooo beautiful, so too complex for me or not, I couldn't resist buying the pattern. I'm thinking of changing it as well, I'd like to take the corner panels out and work them separately, and move the shaded dark blue corners out to fill the spaces. I figured then I could frame and hang the resulting five pieces as a set . . .

:D:D:D
Last edited by SilverScribe on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Lithtaur16 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:00 am

Scribe, those are beautiful. How are they coming? :)

Christmas ornaments are back on the front burner. :) I'm learning how to make bulbs! :D No cross-stitching is going into them yet, though. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the fabric lay flat and how to give them a finished look. Their coming along.

And there's three different big projects online now. Two are dimensions patterns and one is a northwestern-style beaver that I adapted from a picture with PatternMaker. The beaver'll be joining a raven on a very large quilt... eventually. :whistle:

Pictures are forthcoming. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:06 am

Here're the ornaments that are either finished or else very near to it.

Does anyone have suggestions for the blue bulbs? I can't find any doily type tops and bottoms right now so I either have to use the gathering shown on the one bulb, or bundle a sheer fabric around the bulb and twist it like a tootsie roll where the hanging cord is. I could stick something like sprigs of holly on it too but I'm nervous about glueing something on that I'll realize I don't like later.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth