Powers of Arda- A Rebirth(Now Open And Awaiting New Members!)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:01 am

*coughBUMPcough*

:D
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby Daefaroth » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:25 am

Two identical guild threads is not acceptable.

Istariquendi, pick ONE to keep open.

Add "please lock" to the title of the other one.

Thank you.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:03 pm

Thank you everyone for reawakening this guild. I'd be more than happy to accept you. Let's just get everything straightened out with the mods before we continue forward! :D

I'll be using this thread as the real thread, seeing as how more people have gravitated to this one.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:59 pm

This looks like a very interesting Guild, and I'd be very interested in joining... though I really couldn't do much till after the WCAs. But, if you'll have me, I'll check in and maybe post occasionally till then? :)

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:47 pm

This thing didn't move that fast to begin with Luthy - you'll be fine ;)

Amanvilyaien's ready to get back in the game! Are we going to start over from the very beginning? I'd still like to study under Varda :D

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Monoceros » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:54 am

WOW, overwhelming...

Hi, everyone! Can I join? I want to study under Mandos.

Mono.
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:07 am

I would like to study under Lorien, please (How obvious was taht choice, do you tihnk? :roll: :P :D)

Hi Luthy, Evie, Mono, Andu, Shady... and everyone else.... *waves*
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby Monoceros » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:33 am

*Waves back*

One interesting thing came just now into my mind. I have a friend, her name is Aynur..... No her parents weren't Tolkien's fans. From Kazakh it means Moonbeam: Ay - moon, nur - ray, light....

But we call her Aynura or simply Ayka. I don't know why I haven't thought about until now.
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby -|---Anduril » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:31 am

Mono, that's a nice name.. *keeps it in mind for when/if she has kids*
:P

Erm..if we can pick whom to study under, I would like to study under Mandos please. Call me morbid, but I find that really interesting.

*waves to everyone else that she knows*
-|---Anduril
Ringbearer

Postby Monoceros » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:06 am

*hugs Andu* Already two under Mandos this is power.

I always wanted to know the future, hope we will succed.

*hints to Andu* "Guess what we will be able to do."
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby -|---Anduril » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:39 am

yay Mono!! :D

Istari, there can be more than one person on the same thing, right??
In that case, I'll pick something else...
-|---Anduril
Ringbearer

Postby Istariquendi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:43 am

Of course. I wouldn't expect you all to do the duties of the Valar all by your lonesome! That would be suicide!

Anyway, back to business. Since most of you have already gone through your time of meditation (Some more than others: Sorry...) I suppose it is time for the annointing.

Istari had called all into the main room, all the lights within it dimmed save for the central candle that lay upon the great altar. It's light gleamed pure ad bright as if a beacon in the darkness. Almost, its flame was crystaline... as if the light that escaped it were not emanating from the inside, but rather, it was gleaming from another source. All basked in the warmth of the light save for those who wished to be annointed. They instead hid their faces in the cowls of grey cloaks for which they were told to wear for the ceremony.

I know why you have come, and for that I thank you. This shall be no easy burden.

Istari held out his hand and in it was a basket full of pure white candles. He held them reverently, as if they were precious gems, knowing that they were even more. He walked silently across the crowd once more and smiled at those who wished to be annointed. Then he gave one to each, watching them cradle it in their hands. Already a good sign. Still smiling, he retreated toward the altar and placed a simple dagger before it, its hilt gleaming white in the light. He then turned to the people once more.

The candles are the symbol of your power, of the bond that connects you to me and to the others within your circle. That bond shall be cemented as you shed your own blood and add it to the candle's own. They are enchanted, these things. More than wax and wick they are. By your blood you shall be shown which aspect of the Valar you are to become. You shall then place the candle upon the altar and call out your true name.

Istari sighed and looked for a moment sad.

This is not a burden to be taken lightly. By performing this rite, you shall be taking upon the duties that once had been in the realm of the Valar and the Valar alone. It will not be an easy task...

Do any of you wish to continue?
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:17 am

Oops! I haven't chosen a Vala to study under :shock:

Well, I'm trying to decide between Manwe (all of you know my obsession with the wind, right? :roll: ), Varda (for the Stars), and Vaire -- it would be wonderful to study under the Weaver. What do you all think? Especially Andu and LadyG and Eve and those others of you who know me well :P

sighh

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby shadowseer » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:59 am

Greetings Istari! i am currently under meditation and you will recieve my reply shortly, but i just wanted to quickly post this message now that i see you are up and running in this thread again:
firstly i want to apologize that i never discovered this place sooner! if i had i would have never let it run into the darkness where it has collected dust for so long.
i admire your commitment to this and hope we can make it last for a long long time. i ask only one thing- dont give up on this thread and neither will I!

Shadow (Shady)
shadowseer
Shield Bearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:52 am

Amanvilyaien felt a stirring in the very depths of her soul as Istari solemnly distributed the candles and told them what needed to be done. She glanced quickly around her, but then strode forward, almost as if someone else were leading her, but she wasn't afraid. She took bold, purposeful steps and held her candle steady in front of her. She nodded to Istari and then took a step up, her figure looking small, but determined before the altar.

She set the candle down and pulled up the sleeve of her robe. Her pale skin looked strikingly white against the dark grey of her mantle. She looked up at the altar and taking a deep breath she picked up the dagger that lay before her. Without looking back she drew a small stripe across the inside of her ring finger. She bit her lip as the blade cut into her skin, pulling apart the very fibers that contained her life, her blood.

She watched as the liquid slowly filled the painful crevice in her hand, making a crimson bubble at the brim. She held her finger over the candle and squeezed a single drop of blood onto the wick. Before she had time to blink the candle blazed to life, the drop of blood trickling down the side.

Suddenly, she seemed to have forgotten the people around her, the call, the dagger, the cut, the candle. She was surrounded by a dazzling light and a womanly voice as ancient as the trees and as light as the very sun which she seemed to be standing in spoke to her.

"You are chosen, do not be afraid..."

The voice continued to speak to her and she felt her heart gladden. The light began to dissipate around her and she was aware of her surroundings once again. Smiling, she turned to address the group before her. She cast back her hood, her green eyes sparkling and her raven hair waving about her face in a wind that seemed to come from above her. She lifted up her arms, blood still trickling down one arm, her face skyward.

"Listen!" she cried, in a voice not wholly her own. "I have been called and I have answered. The Valar have spoken and I am Amanvilyaien no longer. Behold Egladien Telpëminuial - daughter of Varda!"

(OOC: So...I hope that was what we were supposed to do ;) )

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Istariquendi » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:59 pm

Sounds just about right ;)

Istari smiled as the one called Amanvilyaien stood upon the altar and performed the ritual appointed to her. He could sense the strength in her as she took her bold steps and cut her finger with her knife. As the blood touched her candle, Istari saw a dim white light settle upon her. A whisper of power brushed across his ears and Istari could feel the wonder of this place. With the smile still on his face he strode over to her and lifted the cowl of the cloak from her face and kissed her upon her supple brow.

You are welcome here, Egladien. Rejoice in your appointment and may you serve Varda well!

And what of the others? Who else will join us?
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:29 pm

(OOC: well, here's my bit, hope it's all right *gulp*)

Elena murmured a soft thank you and listened quietly as Istari gave them the white candles and told them what needed to be done. She watched as Amanvilyaien walked up to the altar and took up the dagger. As the drop of her life blood touched the wick of the candle, it blazed into sudden life, and Amanvilyaien went still, her head slightly inclined as if listening to a distant voice. She stood that way for what seemed a long time, until finally the light began to dissipate and she turned to address the group before her.

She cast back her hood, her green eyes sparkling and her raven hair waving about her face in a wind that seemed to come from above her. She lifted up her arms, blood still trickling down one arm, her face skyward. "Listen!" she cried, in a voice not wholly her own. "I have been called and I have answered. The Valar have spoken and I am Amanvilyaien no longer. Behold Egladien Telpëminuial - daughter of Varda!" Istari came forward to welcome her into the circle, and then turned to the others. “And what of the others? Who else will join us?”

Elena stepped forward, her heart beating fast, and said, in a voice that shook slightly, “I will answer the call.” Cradling the white candle in her hands, she walked slowly to the altar. She smiled at Istari and Amanvilyaien/Egladien, and took the single step up to the altar. Elena’s earlier nervousness melted away and she was filled with a sense of calm and inevitability. She set her candle down next to the first one and picked up the dagger.

Quickly she slashed across her left palm, and winced as blood began to well up from the cut and started to sting. Holding her hand over the candle, she allowed her blood to drop onto the wick, colouring it crimson, binding her to her call forever. Once again, light filled the room as her candle blazed to life, and the previously white candle was stained red with blood. The light of the candle seemed to grow brighter, filling her with warmth and suffusing her with life, while everything around her faded to the background.

Slowly, out of the light a figure appeared, robed in white and grey and soft blue. Wisdom was in his eyes, which were grey as the clouds at twilight, and his smile was gentle. “Welcome home, Daughter. I have waited for you a long time,” a voice soothing as a lullaby spoke softly to her. Elena felt herself return the smile tentatively, awed to be in the presence of such Power and Wisdom. The figure continued to speak, the words pictures in her head, a foreshadowing of the powers of dreams.

At last the voice grew quieter and the light began to fade, and Elena saw that she was once again back in the main room, standing at the altar. She blinked and raised her left hand to brush away an imaginary wisp of hair from her face, and saw, with a start, that it had stopped bleeding and the wound had closed and healed, leaving behind a white scar. She smiled slowly, and glanced at the candle, and noted that the blood on it had also disappeared. Only a faint crimson sheen on the wick gave any indication that her blood had been there at all.

Elena cast back her hood, revealing silver-black hair that tumbled down to her waist as it escaped its confine, and blue-grey eyes that sparkled with excitement and a sense of adventure. She turned towards her companions, and showed them her hand. Quiet gasps and murmurs filled the room, but she ignored them. Instead, she closed her eyes and saw. She opened her eyes again, and said, “My heart knew that one day, this day would come. Lo! I stand here today, I have answered the Call. The Valar have given me my true name. No longer shall I be called Elena Tinúviel, but from this day I shall be known as Meássë Lothilwë – daughter of Lórien!”
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:27 am

(OOC: Alright, here's my own poor attempt. Can anyone tell me how you make those cool little dots and accents over the letters for the Elvish words?)

Undomiel sat in silent watchfulness as first Amanvilyaien was initiated. She rolled the candle gently between her fingers. Her soul was in a state of unrest. She had come to the Haven of Light with the intention to become a student of Melian. It had been her fondest dream to learn from the Lady of Nightingales and give voice to her Songs of Power. Yet now she felt another Power stirring in her heart. She tried to ignore the sensation as she watched Amanvilyaien became Egladien Telpeminuial, student of Varda Elentari.

"You are welcome here, Egladien. Rejoice in your appointment and may you serve Varda well! And what of the others? Who else will join us?"

Elena Tinuviel stepped forward then and made her vows to Lorien, Lord of Dreams. Istari greeted her in her new name, Measse Lothilwe, and asked again if another would step forward. Undomiel's emotions were warring within her. She had longed to be as Melian, Ever-young and Ever-joyful, spreading the light and peace of Valinor among the peoples of Middle Earth. Yet now... Now she felt a great saddness growing within her, from she knew not where. There was a peace with the saddness, but it was the peace that came with endurance rather than joy.

Undomiel looked up in confusion, to see a tall figure cloaked in grey standing before her. At first she thought it was another of the Initiates who had risen, then the figure cast back her hood and Undomiel beheld a stern face and bright blue eyes filled with the Light of Reason. She knew immediately that she was in the presence of one of the Powers.

"Child, do you know my name?" spoke the Lady.

"You are Nienna," said Undomiel, knowing the answer instinctively.

"Yes. I have come to intercede on behalf of the lands of Middle Earth. There are dark times ahead, and the people will need the comfort and counsel that I can no longer give. Look," spoke Nienna. And she brought up a vision of Middle Earth suffering from wars, upheavals, famines and droughts. The images invoked such a well of grief within Undomiel that tears began to flow down her face.

"Lady of Sorrows, take me as your disciple and I will spread your hope through the world, as best I can," she said.

"Daughter, for this you were born," said Nienna. "Be known now as Seleranyeri Estelana. Grey shall your Raiment ever be, and your house shall stand alone. Come, take your candle and make your vows."

Nienna held out her hand and Undomiel took it. When she stood up, the Vala was gone. Resolutely, she took the knife from Istari can cut her wrist, letting the blood drip over the still dark candle. The blood and the substance of the candle seemed to fuse and at the same time the cut on her arm healed. A thin scar was all that remained, a permanent reminder of this vow. She placed the candle on the altar.

"Hear this now," she cried, turning to her fellow initiates and those yet to follow. "I have been chosen by Nienna, She Who Weeps. I am not Undomiel. From this day forward call me Selernyeri Estelana, Sister of Sorrows, Giver of Hope."
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Arianna_Silverstar » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:23 pm

Arianna watched as two of the other stepped forward and became disciples. She gathered all the strength inside of her and took a step forward. She claimed her candle from Istari, and took it to the altar. There she used the daggar to make a small, thin cut in the palm of her right hand. She ignored the stinging pain she felt, for she knew the task at hand was much more important than a simple cut. Upon placing her candle on the alter, a great flash of light surrounded her. She heard a voice call to her,

"Dear child, come forth and meet your mentor."

Arianna saw be fore her, one of the Queens of the Valar, Nienna.

"I offer to you my mind to fill with your great knowledge exhaulted one," Arianna replied while bowing down on one knee.

"Then arise and take your new name child. For now, you and another, Selenyeri Estelana, will be my students."

Nienna bent down and whispered to Arianna her new name. There was another brilliant flash of white light, and Arianna was returned to the great hall in front of the alter.

"I am no longer Arianna Silverstar, but am now Larien Carnesîr, disicple of Nienna and an ear to the prayers and voice of reason, to those with great sorrow and grief in their hearts. May I help them in their times of need along with Selernyeri Estelana."

Arianna, now Larien, went back to the line in her new grey cloak- a gift of the Vala Nienna.

(OOC: hope that was up to par with you all. I'm fairly new to all of this. I do not know when my next post can be, computer at home is broken, and in process of being fixed.)
Arianna_Silverstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arianna_Silverstar » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:24 pm

Arianna watched as two of the other stepped forward and became disciples. She gathered all the strength inside of her and took a step forward. She claimed her candle from Istari, and took it to the altar. There she used the daggar to make a small, thin cut in the palm of her right hand. She ignored the stinging pain she felt, for she knew the task at hand was much more important than a simple cut. Upon placing her candle on the alter, a great flash of light surrounded her. She heard a voice call to her,

"Dear child, come forth and meet your mentor."

Arianna saw be fore her, one of the Queens of the Valar, Nienna.

"I offer to you my mind to fill with your great knowledge exhaulted one," Arianna replied while bowing down on one knee.

"Then arise and take your new name child. For now, you and another, Selenyeri Estelana, will be my students."

Nienna bent down and whispered to Arianna her new name. There was another brilliant flash of white light, and Arianna was returned to the great hall in front of the alter.

"I am no longer Arianna Silverstar, but am now Larien Carnesîr, disicple of Nienna and an ear to the prayers and voice of reason, to those with great sorrow and grief in their hearts. May I help them in their times of need along with Selernyeri Estelana."

Arianna, now Larien, went back to the line in her new grey cloak- a gift of the Vala Nienna.

(OOC: hope that was up to par with you all. I'm fairly new to all of this. I do not know when my next post can be, computer at home is broken, and in process of being fixed.)
Arianna_Silverstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby shadowseer » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:05 pm

upon entering the Haven of Light the Great Altar seemed to be surrounded by shadowed figures in a pool of radiance. the Seer had travelled long and hard, and had eventually come to that which is both sacred and powerful.
the Seer took up his place and looked around, seeing that four had already been Annointed. they were fast leaving their mortal ties behind, and taking up the Fate that was to await them. without thought, only instinct, he knew it was his time and what must be done. he would be the fifth.
'Hail Guildmaster! i have been lured by your Call, and i have come to Answer thus: Bestow upon me the strengh to be a disciple unto the Valar Lorien, as i bind myself to the Light of the Candle with the flow of my lifeblood'.
the Seer looked at the candle given to him, and felt a dagger pressed into his hand. as if driven by an inner voice he cut the palm of his hand and let the essence drop onto the candle. for a moment, the Seer became nervous when the flame of the candle flickered, as if being blown by a harsh wind, but became calm once again and glowed more brightly. the circle was complete.
'henceforth i shall be Azulair and will join my fellow sister Meássë Lothilwë, but as the Son of Lorien, and will continue to use the Powers for good, as the great Lorien did, before He departed from the circles of this world.'
he looked at his hand once again, already the blood was drying. then he looked more closely at the cut that was made on the inside palm. he knew that no matter how much time had passed, there would always be a scar. that scar would remain there forever to remind of his deed, and the vow he made in commitment to his cause.
Azulair's raiment fell about him, revealing his dark, olive-colour skin and deep black hair which ran to his shoulders. for a moment he looked sad, just as Istari had done, for he knew also the sacrifices that would have to be made, and the terrible struggle that lay before him, like a heavy, never-ending task. but this only made him more resolute, and determined to carry out his work as a Power.
shadowseer
Shield Bearer

Postby Istariquendi » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:20 pm

Hey, sorry I haven't replied so quickly. This has been the first time I've been out of bed since yesterday. I had surgery yesterday and the doctors said I should be in bed for a couple days. I'll be sure to reply tomorrow.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:51 pm

Hey, no need to apologize Istari - you take as much time as you need, we'll still be here :)

*feel better soon huggles*

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:28 am

Yeah, Istari *huggles*

Take your time, and recover!

We'll all still be here :)
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby Arianna_Silverstar » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:05 am

Hope your make a full and speedy recovery Istari.

Everyone is right, take as much time as you need, we'll all still be here when you get back.

Get Well Soon!!
Arianna_Silverstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby -|---Anduril » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:13 am

Istari, i hope everything went ok and you'll get better soon!

In the meantime, sorry I haven't replied yet myself, but with uni, I don't have all the time I want anymore. I will try to get something by in the weekend.
-|---Anduril
Ringbearer

Postby Istariquendi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:13 am

Thanks all. It was nothing serious, so don't worry about that. :D

Istari felt overwhelmed by those who came forth. Many to be initiated in the cause. Two of Nienna, two of Lorien, and one each of Mandos and Varda already. The Valar would most certainly be pleased. He smiled as he welcomed each into the fold. It seemed all those who wished to be initiated this night had done so. For a moment, he gazed upon the five candles that had been added to the altar, glinting dimly yet steadily before the great crystaline flame that had been their source. Already, Istari could feel the connection between them all to him. The powers he had appointed to them singing in his veins along with theirs. He would have to teach them to control such things, but that would be another night. To that end, he took the ring from his pocket and placed it upon his finger, bringing the Haven back to its former glory of light.

I welcome you all in the Haven of Light once again. You have done well, but for now, it is a time of rest. Thank you.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:02 am

Well, now everyone's in and the first post adjusted. Jebus, that was annoying! Damn html transfer crap...
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby shadowseer » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:14 am

Glad to know your feeling better Istari!!!

Azulair looked at the Leader and saw that his initiation was at last complete. there would of course be more to follow, but that was for another time. he bowed low to the Appointer of Powers, the One who saw fit to give him this great strengh, and then begged for leave. Istari gave only a single nod to showed he understood, and as he did, the ring on his finger shimmered in the reflected glory of the Haven. the glory that once drew Azulair here in the first place. and suddenly the surroundings seemed more wonderful than ever before, as the ring weaved its magic once again, the inhabitants finally let their guard down, and decided to rest.
shadowseer
Shield Bearer

Postby undomiel » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:35 am

Well, I thought I would be the only one to choose Nienna. Nice to meet you, Arianna_Silverstar. I will be glad to study with you. :D

Glad to know you're doing fine, Istari. :D So what do we do now?

Luthy, Hi. :) I'd recommend you choose Manwe. He's got alot going for him other than the wind. I mean, he's the chief of all the Valar and the closest to Eru. I almost chose him myself. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth