The Guild for Anime Lovers

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:31 pm

lol, have I started a financial thing here? I was just bored and worked up how much I had....

Actually, I probably have about USD $210 if you could count the Chi figure from Chobits I bought, then about another USD $16 for two anime DVDs.....$226...heehee....Yes, Mom would have a serious cow. (Probably about $12 for the first Kenshin DVD and I spent about $4 on a Galaxy Angel one....lol)

Anyhow....I talked to one of my friend's tonight, and he said that he started a new anime called "Prince of Tennis." I've heard of the manga, but haven't read it. He said it was a decent waste of time.
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby TheFlamingMullet » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi! I'm so glad this thread is still here. I posted awhile ago but then moved out and had no internet hook up. Now I'm back home, ach, and again have the joys of the TORC.

Speaking of money...$2500 is the amount I estimate for my trip to Nippon :shock: If I take a cheap educational tour and only bring back one SMALL suitcase of stuff. At my current savings rate I should be going sometime in 2009. Anyone want to come? :P

I notice a discussion on Pocky sometime ago. I love that stuff. Pretzels, chocolate, together in an exotic stick form. heh.

Is Wolf's Rain worth buying? I love Yoko Kanno and the animation looks nice but I'm rather tight with my meager funds. I don't get Cartoon Network so I can't see hardly anything ahead of time...

Lurking around earlier I note that Klonkku claims to be an otaku…and he has a 10,000+ Ring. I think we should invite him as a celebrity guest of sorts 8)

LadyRionaofDromin: I like your sig pic:D Unfortunately, after seeing the OVA's, seeing Kenshin makes me all emotional and teary eyed.

Sincerly, Mullet Enfuego
TheFlamingMullet
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks, Mullet Enfuego. ^_^ I have been meaning to change it to another Kenshin picture, or something from another anime or manga, since that was kind of a Valentine's day thing. :P

My best friend watches Wolf's Rain, and she says that it is really good. If she said it was good, then it is great, since she's a little picky with her anime and manga.

Still haven't called my cousin concerning the anime cons...I meant to call him Saturday, Sunday, and Monday night, but no, I can't remember to! lol I need to set a reminder for myself, hmm? lol
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby TheFlamingMullet » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:15 am

Conventions, I'd have to ask my cousin as well. He's sort of my sempai when it comes to the realm of geekdom, which I fully embrace but have limited connections to. He, on the other hand, knows all, owns all and can be told nothing. A true otaku *eye roll*

I think for Wolf's Rain I'll rent it with Net Flix and then buy it if I like it enough. I'd like to just buy everything but pizza doesn't pay much :D

Has anyone seen any Samurai Champloo yet? Thoughts? I really loved it even though I'm not a hip-hop fan. :)
TheFlamingMullet
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:55 pm

Nope, never heard of it. But, it sounds pretty cool already because I take a hip-hop dance class. *cough*siggydescription*cough*

lol

I forgot to call my cousin again. -_- And if you want geekdom (though this has nothing to do with anime) I have won a game of Solitaire on the computer in 81 seconds as my record. *looks terribly proud*

Okay, back to topic.

But, I will call him tonight! I mean, just wait like another hour or something and call...(11 my time, 10 his since he normally gets off work around then or sometime, lol) *sigh* It WOULD help if we were on the same time zone still! lol

Haven't watched or ready any anime or manga lately...No cash or time for TV.
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen_Sol » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:01 pm

LoL! I try not to think about how much money I've spent on manga and anime 6_6' gah, okay, now that it's been mentioned I have to think about it and calculate... that's approx. $10/bk x25=$250 + $25/series season x3 =$75 for a grand total of $225. Not counting the stuff I've bought for my sisters and cousins. And then there's all the money I've spend on cosplays and being an otaku is a decidedly expensive hobby!

Riona I take hip-hop dance classes too! crazy... I'm thinking about choreographing a skit for the cosplay masquerade this year but I hate public performance so the two don't really mix. :roll:

Mullet That's a long ways away :D good luck with raising money and all that. I'd like to go but seeing as tuition fees just keep getting higher and I'm going to be in school for another few years, I don't know if I'll be able to afford it T_T

I started reading RuroKen and really... book 6 was a HORRIBLE place to stop! gah! Must ... know... what... happens!

*~Arwen
Arwen_Sol
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:52 pm

Hehe....finances are started.....muahaha!!!

Book six, book six....what happened in book six? *gets up to check and ignores blinking IM window of annoying person* Hmm....I think I felt rather satisfied with the ending, though I only looked at the pictures presently....*shrugs* I know the next couple books begin to make up for it, but Watsuki has a knack for leaving us hanging. So, just beware...
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby TheFlamingMullet » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:10 pm

The thought of dancing nearly puts me in a coma, but I love to watch. Classes sound fun:)

I only own two mangas, one of which was a gift. I know if I start a series I'll have to have the rest and then I'm finished. Also, I'm not very familiar with the good, the bad and the downright horrid. Anyone care to recommend a good one?
TheFlamingMullet
Shield Bearer

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:00 am

@TheFlamingMullet : About the OVA, if we're talking about the version where Kenshin died... I can tell you that the manga ends differently. VERY DIFFERENTLY.

I could recommend you a million and one GREAT series... But well, I don't know what country you live in, nor what mangas are published there. Anyways... My recommendations are:

1) Death Note (Not released outside Asia ATM, but you could try visiting [url]anime-source.com[/url] for scanlations)
2) Fullmetal Alchemist (May release, tentatively 20 books)
3) Hunter X Hunter (I think around May release too, but get ready to buy more than 20)
4) Naruto (I think it's published in English already... But it's another LONG series, 25 and still going strong)
5) Rurouni Kenshin (Definitely published in English, 28 volumes long)
6) Busou Renkin (By the mangaka of RuroKen, definitely worth a look. However, it's a new series, and one can read scanlations from http://www.manga-ton1x.net/Content/cid=22.html)

So yeah... take your pick. :wink: The best part is that some of the series come free, as long as you have an internet connection, thanks to scanlations.
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby TheFlamingMullet » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:28 pm

I was really going to be a super hero poster and pose regular thoughts and questions on a day to day basis, or at least show up more than once a year. I do love anime. I've eaten soup three times today. Maybe I'm eating too much soup and it's stealing my will to type.

Tobias of the Red Tail: Thank you for the recommendations. I've read through most of Death Note since it was, what’s that word...scanlated.:D
I'm most likely going to start buying the Rurouni Kenshin series soon since I really enjoyed the anime.
TheFlamingMullet
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:51 am

Arwen_Sol wrote:
I started reading RuroKen and really... book 6 was a HORRIBLE place to stop! gah! Must ... know... what... happens!

Ack, good thing I bought seven too!! I actually bought seven before six.. they didn't have it at Borders... but I got six last night, so I can continue. What's gonna happen?!?!?! ;)

Does anyone know anything about Immortal Rain? A friend is reading it, and I flipped through it... volume 3 probably wasn't a good place to start flipping, but.. ;) It looked interesting. Just wondered what you thought of it.

TFM-- I don't know what kinda manga you're into, but my cousin would recommend Fruit's Basket. Not a whole lot of battle, from what I gather.. more on the cute side. And I second the RuroKen recommendation. I :heart: Kenshin!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:11 pm

TheFlamingMullet wrote:
Tobias of the Red Tail: Thank you for the recommendations. I've read through most of Death Note since it was, what’s that word...scanlated.:D
I'm most likely going to start buying the Rurouni Kenshin series soon since I really enjoyed the anime.

Death Note!!! Love that series... One of the best I've ever read! Light is SOOO evil, but SOOO smart. :D And he won the first round. *smile* Feel so much happier with Light winning rather than L. *is extremely biased*

On cosplaying... I was thinking of trying out Raziel from Angel Sanctuary for fun, complete with the enormous wings. :P Should be all right, if I can pull it off.
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:46 am

Hello all, I am back! after a long absence. :P

Still haven't called my cousin yet, but I could probably call him about....three today, maybe....

I add into the suggestion of Kenshin! LUUUUUURVE! *huggles Kenshin* hehe Yeah, gonna put another Ken-san picture up.

While I'm on Kenshin, the next in the series is probably out now....but I can't buy it since the money I have is going into a dagger fund for another RL guild, and then any other money is going into conventions....*sigh*

I've been recommended to read Fruit's Basket, and have been told it's on the "cute" side, too. Um, another good one *for shojo readers* is Forbidden Dance, as was said around the time I got here....it's a ballet one. If you don't mind language, then read into "Girl Got Game" And beware number two and number....*gets up to check* seven. Though 7 is one to be wary of on a humorous note. :P At least, is your sense of humor is a little off, like mine is.

Naruto has been recommended to me....I have Galaxy Angel....which is kind of action-y with chicks starring in it. The anime is really different and very funny.

Yes, Kenshin dies in the anime movies....*sigh* 'Tis so sad....*admits to crying the first couple times of watching it* I have to filch it from my brother again soon!

Um, that's about all I can say....I have to get to work on installing some programs on my computer...

Riona
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:32 am

LadyRionaofDromin wrote:Yes, Kenshin dies in the anime movies....*sigh* 'Tis so sad....*admits to crying the first couple times of watching it* I have to filch it from my brother again soon!

If I didn't already know that, I'd beat you into a pulp. :D No, not really.. Kenshin is up to Vol. 11 in my neck of the world...
A friend has Samurai X on video, and I keep meaning to borrow it, but I can never get a hold of him...

Anyone seen the anime Strawberry Eggs? I saw a few episodes at Otaku and thought it looked like fun. Another cute one. Watching Hibiki's hair go from a tiny ponytail to really full and wavy was amusing. :D Not to mention the entire premise of the story.. :P

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:30 am

*wanders in, and since is unable to keep her mouth shut*

Kenshin lives happily ever after with Kaoru in the manga! (And the manga's the one that matters, ne?) They have a kid, if I remember right. Sanosuke becomes a fugitive of sorts, I think, and Yoshi inherits Kenshin's sword. *cannot remember anything else*

Btw, anyone got ideas on wings? Cos I was thinking of a pair for my tentative Raziel cosplay... And we all know AS wings are BIG. :P
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:39 am

Yoshi? Who is Yoshi? Is he related to Yahiko? And what's Kenshin's son's name... Kenji, or something? I forget.

Wings, huh? I take it you mean making them? Hmmm... I've never made a pair of wings before, but if you stop in the Costumers Guild, someone might have a siggestion for you. I'd suggest some sort of wire structure with lots of feathers... *shrug* Sounds fun, though. :)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:06 pm

Posting behind myself, bad Sil.

AUGH, I just finished RuroKen 7!! You think the end of 6 was bad?!?! *Dies* He can't just.... oh... oh... must read next book ASAP!! *Hypervenilates*
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:07 am

Ah, yes... Not Yoshi... Yahiko. *goes off to kill those idiots who put weird accents and results in me getting the wrong name* Yoshi's the name of Mario's green dino, but I'm digressing.

Wings-wise... I've got lots of advice already, and it appears that if I try making them myself, I run the risk of creating a most heavy and unwieldy structure, that might fall apart anytime. So, if I really want those gorgeous full-size ones... I'll need to go to a costume rental shop to try my luck, which is what I'm planning to do. If the wings fall through, then I'll look so much plainer, but hopefully still resemble Raziel somewhat.
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:18 am

I'm afraid I don't know what Raziel looks like. Link?

Hehehhe, yes, Yoshi... I love the Mario games. :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:48 pm

Mario is awesome.

I've seen pics of AS. Is Raziel the one on the cover of the first book? If yeah, then the wings should look awesome if you get the right kind. ^_^

Seven...seven....what happened? *sighs and doesn't want to get up, but does anyway to check book seven* Ah yes. He leaves. *pats Sil on the head* There, there, things will start to look up a bit in later books...much later books. *cough*13*coughcough*

Yes, Kenshin and Kaoru's son's name is Kenji. ^_^

Um...I read Girl Got Game #8 yesterday in the bookstore...and didn't buy it. Bad me. But it was so funny!! Kyo ended up "kissing" Yura-kun, by accident, as he fell through the bushes, and Eniwa admits something very personal. :happydance: Finally! It took Mr. Porcupine Head enough time to say it! Then, Eniwa and Kyo "go out" and Eniwa ends up lying to Hamaya that Kyo is his sister (Kyoko) and Hamaya spirits her away...and that's how it ended. Darn it! Why?! Why :bang: ?! Why :bang: ?! WHY :bang: ?!?! Not fair to leave me like that. *sighs* And what the preview description of 9 said, it's nothing happy until probably midway, then thing's'll prolly get ugly again after that. That's just my bet.

Anyway, I'm going out of town for a little over a week, so either Sunday afternoon or Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to post again. Maybe. I shall talk to you all then! Have fun, Sil, on the Kenshin books! And remember, no matter how bad things are in it now, they always look up.

Tobias, good luck to you on your wings. I hope they turn out well.

The Lady Riona
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:42 am

Hmmm... *goes off link hunting*

http://valefor.com/kinryouku/pictures/manga-raziel.jpg

Yep, that's the guy. :P And that's the outfit. The wings aren't drawn in that one though...
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:21 pm

Linky no worky. :P I'll just look on Google. :)

Riona--Thanks for the encouragement. :D Glad to hear Kenshin lives. ;) Not that I had any doubts. *Swooooons for Kenshin*

Didn't get any more books, but I did get Harry Potter in Latin!! :D Yay for summer reading!

erm, right...

Edit: Ooooh, thooooose kind of wings. Got it. Coolies.

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:02 am

I had a dream last night with Kenshin in it. As a real person, not a cartoon... except it was acutally Erin from the Renaissance Club here at GV, dressed as Kenshin... but she was realllly good with a sakabato and acted just like Kenshin... and we were trying to find some secret meeting spot, and alarms kept going off... stranggeeeee.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Oh, another funny story... I have computer lab session for my writing class, so to make the writing more fun, I got a picture of Kenshin and pasted it into the word file. And so my prof is walking around, giving instructions, and at the end of class, he walks over, glances at my computer, and says to the class, "All right, the exercises are due next week, 7.1 and 7.3, with as many pictures of InuYasha as you can find." And Jennifer and I, the only ones who got it, busted out laughing, and everyone else stared... :D It was great. :rofl: (Even if he didn't recognize Kenshin..)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby TheFlamingMullet » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:14 am

Ah! Haven't read any RuroKen manga! Must skim over spoilers :shock:
(yeah! He lives happily ever after:D)

Sooo, I joined Blockbuster Online in order to watch anime without forking over big money. After seven days of anxious waiting, the first anime DVD I received was CRACKED IN HALF. :x le sigh On a happy note, my friend is loaning me Samurai Champloo disc 2 today, so excited :) :D :clap:

I thought you guys were talking about Raziel from the video game until I looked up the picture :oops:

Well, must get to work and earn my fun... :roll:
TheFlamingMullet
Shield Bearer

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:20 am

Hehe... Funny dream, Gwen. And your teacher's funny... I had one like that last year too. He has more mangas than I do. :P

On a side note... I am now J-Rock crazy. :P My Discman's now blasting Malice Mizer and Dir En Gray all day... :roll: And I have a hunch my friends will soon tell me to shut up about J-Rock.
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:34 pm

A friend invited me to Penguin Con. Anyone know anything about Penguin Con? I sure don't... :P

Browsing FF.net and came across Kenshin fanfics... there was one where Kenshin was a vampire... the author had nicknamed him Batts for Battosai. :shock: And one where Kenshin is the captain of his university's Kendo team... and of course all the gang tags along.. Misao, Kaoru, Sano, Aoshi, and Sojiro.. no Yahiko though. :roll: Very strange indeed.

Got Samurai X the Movie! I've already watched it three times! Hehehehe.. :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:31 pm

lol, Sil. I've come across a couple Kenshin fanfics, as well.

I don't know about any other countries, but in the US, there's Sunday afternoon racing that the majority of my family gets sucked into watching...during the commercial breaks, they have little anime-ish segments about some of the racers...I think it's funny.

Yesterday, I was able to spend a good hour and a half or so in the mall. ^_^ Know where I went? The bookstore! Surprise! lol I read the first book of Hana-Kimi. I thought it was amusing, but I kinda had to really pay attention because it had a lot of little word bubbles and I had a hard time figuring out what was a thought or out loud speaking, and who was saying what for some reason. :P Probably because I hadn't read manga in a while....bad Riona.
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:20 pm

My mommy bought me the next three Kenshins!!!!! :happydance: They were on sale buy two get one free, plus she gets a school employee discount, so I got 8, 9, and 10 for $12!!! w00t!!!!

:happydance:

I am really on a Japanese culture kick right now... :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:09 pm

That's awesome, Sil! Three manga books for $12! You should be doing a happy dance for that one.

Does anyone else read Hana-Kimi? I'm in book four now, of the five...I had to stop in the middle of it two weeks ago because my friend called my mom and beckoned us to Cinema Cafe to watch a movie...for the 6th time. ^_^ And it was at a crucial point, to, so I must make it back the mall soon to finish it. :D
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth