The KL/LK Guild IV

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:45 pm

The answer to Oyarsa's thrice accursed poem.

"Kin", by Jean Valentine is the answer to the poem beginning with "A Woman's face in the window...

Source: Door In The Mountain: New And Collected Poems, 1965-2003 (Wesleyan Poetry) by Jean Valentine ISBN:

"Change is Not Always Progress" is the missing title to the Don Lee poem I identified previously. (Source: Creativity in Exile ISBN: 9042018437

By the by, I think we may have been using different editions of Nortons, mayhap that was the reason for me saying "It's not bloody in any Norton Anthology" and you replying "It is too!"

Oh, and by the way, you should be able to find this now. ;-)

And I don't want to hear anything about "bumping" this thread from you, Oyarsa. :-P
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Oyarsa » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:31 pm

Bumping? I can't believe I still recall what that means. :P *takes a little time to dust off keyboard* I know, I know... wow, I can't believe my username hasn't been usurped yet. ;-)

Oh my goodness! :-O That must be some kind of record, Mel. ;-) Was that a year between question and response? Mayhaps we need a different game? Any ideas? Currently I'm posting from work because my moniter decided to expire, and I'm not sure if I should try to: 1 ) fix it, 2 ) try to have someone else fix it, or 3 ) purchase a new one. Yeesh, those flat panels just do not hold up like the regular ones. Or else, mine was defective.

So how is the moldy, old WT going? Has someone managed to burn it to the ground again? Or is it, as the song goes, 'just dust in the wind...' *weg*

Hmmm...it has definitely been a while. I wasn't even sure if I remembered my password. :oops: (Actually, I didn't. I had to go look it up.) If that isn't a symptom of senility, I don't know what is. Dank sei Gott elves don't get wrinkles. :-D
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:32 pm

Oyarsa wrote:Bumping? I can't believe I still recall what that means. :P

That's the advantage of having, in the words of Khammie-bear, "a memory like an elephant". (Yes, that's the exact quote; look it up if you don't believe me. Poke your head in the AMMM Fed II thread you've yet to update; it's in there, that's your only clue. :P ) You forget nothing. =:)

Oyarsa wrote: *takes a little time to dust off keyboard* I know, I know... wow, I can't believe my username hasn't been usurped yet. ;-)

Eh, if I wasn't finishing up a graduate course during the time you posted this, I would have put on my hacker hat. You got off the hook easy this time. :P

Oyarsa wrote:Oh my goodness! :-O That must be some kind of record, Mel. ;-) Was that a year between question and response? Mayhaps we need a different game? Any ideas?

Ideas

Dunk Oyarsa in the KL/LK swimming pool
(I seem to recall you were rather keen on that one. :P )
    Redecorate Barad-dur in pink trappings
    Tolkien/Shakespeare trivia
    archery contest
(No, I will NOT be the target, next question? :P )
    Finish FA/Altariel battle

Oyarsa wrote:Currently I'm posting from work because my moniter decided to expire, and I'm not sure if I should try to: 1 ) fix it, 2 ) try to have someone else fix it, or 3 ) purchase a new one. Yeesh, those flat panels just do not hold up like the regular ones. Or else, mine was defective.

Sorry to hear that your monitor "kicked the bucket". :( If possible, I would have someone knowledgeable with computer hardware fix it, or fix it yourself if you have the know-how to resolve the issue. If neither is convenient or cost-effective, (I hate to say it...) you should probably buy a new one.

Oyarsa wrote:So how is the moldy, old WT going? Has someone managed to burn it to the ground again? Or is it, as the song goes, 'just dust in the wind...' *weg*

We're still going strong, unlike the AMMM; seems the denizens of evil gave up. :P The White Tower released its new first post some time ago and we're currently in the middle of a stalled rp. Take a peek at it, if you haven't already. However, I should warn you, you cannot burn down the WT except at your own peril. =:)

How is the condemned AMMM going? =:)

Oyarsa wrote:Hmmm...it has definitely been a while. I wasn't even sure if I remembered my password. :oops: (Actually, I didn't. I had to go look it up.) If that isn't a symptom of senility, I don't know what is. Dank sei Gott elves don't get wrinkles. :-D

Figures, the person who boasts of the superiority of elvenkind shames them all by her rather unelvenlike forgetfulness. :P I rest my case. =:)

(Eh, fairness comples me to disclose that when I recently tried to visit a messageboard I frequented back in high school, I had forgoten my password as well. Of course, on that messageboard, you are assigned a password, and it's a combination of letters and numbers...so it's not as easy to remember as a password like "altarieliswaycoolerthanOyarsa!1!") :angel:
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Oyarsa » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Altariel_the_Wise wrote:That's the advantage of having, in the words of Khammie-bear, "a memory like an elephant". (Yes, that's the exact quote; look it up if you don't believe me. Poke your head in the AMMM Fed II thread you've yet to update; it's in there, that's your only clue. :P )

Yes, I do believe I do recall that particular quote. What situation it alludes to, well, it's teasing the edges of my subconscious, yet I cannot put my finger on it. I think I'm getting old... :wink: :D

Altariel_the_Wise wrote:Eh, if I wasn't finishing up a graduate course during the time you posted this, I would have put on my hacker hat. You got off the hook easy this time. :P

See AMMM about my contemplation of pointy metal equipment... *weg*

Altariel_the_Wise wrote:Ideas

Dunk Oyarsa in the KL/LK swimming pool
(I seem to recall you were rather keen on that one. :P )
    Redecorate Barad-dur in pink trappings
    Tolkien/Shakespeare trivia
    archery contest
(No, I will NOT be the target, next question? :P )
    Finish FA/Altariel battle

Do you by chance have the link to our little FA/Altariel 'turn-the-little-wanderer-of-the-Light-into-shish-kabobs' rp? :angel: Hmm, mayhap the trivia contest since I do believe true rp is now banned in this forum. How about notable quotations from the LotR (book, not movie), that way, if anyone else felt like stopping in, they could try it as well.

By the by, I got my moniter up and running. I'm not sure what I did, but it worked. :D ...not that I have a lot of time to be on my computer. :-S

Altariel_the_Wise wrote:We're still going strong, unlike the AMMM; seems the denizens of evil gave up. :P The White Tower released its new first post some time ago and we're currently in the middle of a stalled rp. Take a peek at it, if you haven't already. However, I should warn you, you cannot burn down the WT except at your own peril.

If that isn't a challenge, I don't know what is... A nice, quaint little bonfire to cleanse that musty, old bundle of twigs sounds like just the thing to get me back into the posting mood. :wink:
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:08 pm

If you think I'm going to jolt your memory by giving you the details of the situation, think again. :P :D

One day, Oyarsa, your username will be mine....it's my Precious. :P

I'll look up the exact starting point of the FA/Altariel rp, which is within this thread and get back to you on that. :) But Notable quotations from LOTR sounds just fine. Though we could always make it notable quotations from HoME. =:)

*checks White Tower for said bonfire*

You dark-siders really get lazy as you get older. :P
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Fallen_Angel » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Your precious? Yeesh, soon you’re going to be a bald, nearly toothless, hunchbacked little gnome with a preference for raw fish. KL/LK pond fish beware! :Q :D

*chuckles* My dear little lightsider, patience is a virtue. We of the Night are more august than you rash younglings racing around the off-White Tower like impulsive pups. :wink:

Seriously though, I do not consider HoME in the same class as LotR, Hobbit, The Sil, and Unfinished Tales. I’m not especially fond of Christopher Tolkien. What is your take on them?

- Oyarsa
Fallen_Angel
Shield Bearer

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:34 pm

Nah, that'd take a certain ring which was cast into Mount Doom already. My precious doesn't have such abilities to extend my life unnaturally, no, it doesn't, my precious. :P

I'm rather patient, I just enjoy taunting darksiders. :P

Truthfully, I haven't read all of HoME, but I'd classify it as "interesting" at the very least. I've been reading through the history of LOTR, and I find the changes Tolkien wrote fascinating. For instance, "Strider" once being called "Trotter", etc. I don't recall (at the moment) any of CT's commentary in UT that bothered me. What is it about CT's work that you don't like? Just curious. :)

Where is my precious hiding? :?

*Holds out a bag of popped kettle corn*

Munchings and crunchings?

:wink:
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Boromir209 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:59 pm

you guys like this place dont you? As youre the only ones here
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:46 pm

*quirks eyebrow* You know Boromir m’dear, your post makes three people currently. :wink: Nice to see that you’re still around TORC. :)

PM/Altariel: << I'm rather patient, I just enjoy taunting darksiders. >>

Ahh, so that’s what you’re calling it. You know in psychology, we diagnose that as ‘attempting to compensate for one's shortcomings by blaming someone other than oneself.’ :P :wink:

Seriously though, why do I dislike CT? Many, many reasons. None of which I'll go into considering the breadth and depth of my dislike.

*laughs* Munchings and crunchings? Very inventive. :D Is that from a commercial?

Currently, I'm in a Ben & Jerry's mood. Phish Food anyone? :D
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Boromir209 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:25 am

Phish food!!! :shock: *loves the B&J*

So you still "knightless" oyarsa? I dont think you were ever really looking for a knight were you? You always seemed the married to a dictorial leader type ;)

And CT is a money grubber, plain and simple
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:13 am

Dictorial type? :Q Eh, I prefer 'Evil Despot of the Night' but that works too. :wink: :D *weg* Anywho, hmm, Neithen was my Knight for a couple years, but as we are no longer a couple IRL, he is no longer my Knight. He is still a good friend though :) , and in the AMMM/AML rp, Oyarsa gets to kill him off, so that should be diverting. :D =:)
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessMelika » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:22 am

Oyarsa: Check your email when you get a chance. :)

Munchings and Crunchings? It's from the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. The phrase is a trademark of Gurgi; a one of a kind creature; he's neither fully animal or fully human, and both shun him. At least, until the protagonist of the story grows to love and respect him. :)

Is Phish food your new favorite? :D I'll try some. :) *holds out empty ice cream bowl*

Oh, yes, the link to our fight.

*watches Oyarsa rub her hands together in glee like a Saturday Morning cartoon villain at the thought of killing Neithan the Wronged*

How the mighty have fallen. ;)
PrincessMelika
Ranger of the North

Postby Boromir209 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:34 pm

didnt you used to have a blue flag PM?
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Boromir209 wrote:didnt you used to have a blue flag PM?
Boromir209

Why yes, she did, Boromir, m'dear. However, due to fact that she finally came to her senses and decided that she did not want to be a drudge of the lackluster-Light :wink: =:) , she donned the illustrious raiment of the Night. :D
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Boromir209 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Ill be the sole banner carrier in this thread then, not a problem
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessMelika » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 am

Actually, I was wearing black to mourn the absence of the Lady Oyarsa from TORC; since the Lady has returned, the black banner will be gone shortly and will not be donned again until next April 1st!

:D
PrincessMelika
Ranger of the North

Postby skyfiery » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:49 pm

You guys are still posting? Whoa. :shock:

Okay if I pop back? :)

Sky
skyfiery
Mariner

Postby Boromir209 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:53 pm

absoultely! Nice to see you all, and that pretty blue banner on you PM. :)

But I may not be ladyless to be honest, I have a lady in the real world now but she doesnt post...I dont know if that counts or not. :?
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Well, if I were you, I wouldn't go for it; if your girlfriend finds out about your online "Lady", more than a few sparks will probably be flying as one or both parties may be uncomfortable with the existence of the other in your...ahem...love life.

Even if you were to make it clear to both women that your "real" girlfriend is your offline one, there's still a chance that one (or both) may be uncomfortable with the situation.

But, it's up to you...you're the one that has to live with whatever you decide. Just my unsolicited .02. :)

Oh, and danke for the banner compliment!
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Oyarsa » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:58 pm

*espies Mel’s change in clothing* Sad, just sad. You know, in psychology, we call this denial. :P =:)

By the by, it’s not as if I was gone. I was checking up on my two ‘babies’ when I had a free moment, and should I have needed to post, I would have. Personally, I was getting a great deal of amusement from your choice in colors. :wink:

So how’s the perpetual student tonight? Brrr… I hope you’re in the ‘hot’ and not the ‘not-so-hot’ category. As warm as I usually am, I really have to admit that it is a little chilly up here in MN. By the by, my friend got my computer up and kind of running. I can’t turn off the monitor for fear it will not turn back on, and my CPU tends to crash a lot; however, I just do not see a point in purchasing a new computer until after Windows: Vista comes out. *shrugs* The computer odyssey continues. :|

You’re always welcome here, Skyfiery. It’s nice to see a familiar face around here after all this time. :)

Congrats on the RL lady, Boromir209. :D Eh, and just because one posts herein, does not mean that one is looking for a mate. Feel free to stop by and chat whenever you feel like it, regardless of your current ‘paired’ state. :)
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Boromir209 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:16 am

Oy- you can buy comps Vista ready. Just a note. :)
I had no luck with online babes anyways Alt. Thanks for the advice though. I know my limits I only jest online, no real stuff :) I was just asking if I could still post in here even though I have a lady but she doesnt post. I was afraid Oy would make her register and post in here or something ;) just kidding. So I guess I truly am unladyless...*le sigh* :P

Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby skyfiery » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:45 am

Like Boromir (just different in the gender sense), I'm not knightless anymore. At least not in RL. LOL. Haven't been knightless for over a year. :)

Online though...it's a whole different matter? ;) :P

So how have everyone been? :)

Sky
skyfiery
Mariner

Postby Oyarsa » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks for the note regarding Vista, Boromir. :) I didn’t know that, although I’d still prefer to wait a few months after it’s launched so that Microsoft can get some of the usual kinks out first.

Glad to hear you have a special someone in RL, Sky. Have you been a regular poster herein or have you been taking brief sabbaticals as well?

I’m pretty good. Received a promotion, raise, and extra work, so things have busy, but in general a ‘fun’ busy. lol. How have you and Boromir (and any other lurkers) been?
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby skyfiery » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 am

I trust Microsoft only as far as however long they take to come up with the newest OS. -_- I bought a perfectly legitimate Win XP Pro for over $300, and have been using it perfectly without significant problems for over 3 years. And recently, I've been getting balloons popping up on my taskbar saying that my version of Windows is a counterfeit.

Meh. If Apple weren't so user-unfriendly, I'd have long ago switched to using their platforms (although 3 years of using Macs haven't endeared them to me :P).

I took an extremely long hiatus, actually, Oyarsa. Maybe for about a year or so, and posting only sporadically. Only recently have I started posting in more than 3 threads at one go.

Guess I can't give any excuses other than I've been busy with schoolwork, graduation, horse-riding classes, and work. LOL.

Sky
skyfiery
Mariner

Postby Boromir209 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:48 pm

I dislike Microsoft as much as anyone else, but given the other OS options Id just rather fume.

As for what Ive been up to, school just started a few weeks back and I have a job starting up on Tuesday working as a sports store salesman (ie basically a shoe salesman B^ ) And thats it, plus of course the tons of time spent with the real lady.
Borry
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:45 pm

Skyfiery: Lol. I would definitely have to agree with the description of ‘user-unfriendly’ for any Apple out there. Just the word brings up memories of that evil Mac that crashed right as I was finishing up a perfect score on my MIDI final in music comp. I have avoided Macs like the plague since then. …Not that PC’s are much better. They are just the lesser of the two evils.

Okay, I’m finished with my Apple-rant. :shock:

Wow, it sounds like you are both pretty busy! :D Eh, it’s better that way because time goes faster and it makes one savor one’s vacations that much more.

Boromir: Personally, I think a shoe salesman is a very nifty job. It’d be great to get a discount on all those shoes. :wink:
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:12 am

Oyarsa: Sine you were not posting (and thus, presumably unable to visit) you were counted as absent. What can I say? PM doesn't do so well when you're not around. She mopes. And yes, I realize that I'm talking about my rp persona in the third person. :P

Doing all right; just checking email before going to bed and work tomorrow.

How's the weather? Well, let's just say today was a pleasant 60 degrees. I know; you're going to kill me. :wink: Eh, at least you didn't move during a 30+ day heat wave of 100 or above...:Q :Q :Q

Sorry to hear about your computer troubles; have you gotten a new computer yet? Or at least gotten your computer to work better?

BTW, I do believe that Microsoft is going to withhold selling computers with Vista until you cave and buy a new computer; so for pete's sake, buy a new computer so that the rest of us can get a nifty new Vista OS due to the sacrifice you made. :wink:
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Boromir209 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:10 am

Yes but lets just say im not as "into" shoes as other people...mainly women...:D
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:29 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OYARSA!

:horse: :drink: :clap: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :clap: :drink: :horse:

Here's a birthday :hug: for you.

Heck, everyone join in!

:grouphug:

Remember, Khamul is forever the pink one.

:D
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyNicta » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:01 pm

Boromir209 wrote:Yes but lets just say im not as "into" shoes as other people...mainly women...:D
Boromir209

Not all women. My biggest concerns are "Is it comfortable?" and "Does it make me taller?"

I'm a bit of a midget.... heh. Four foot eleven and a half... So short, I was thrilled when the guy at the ID place said we could round it up to an even five!

hehe... Simple pleasures, eh?
LadyNicta
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth