The White Tower: The Proud Continuation of the AML!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:31 pm

"I'm not going to abandon you to certain death."

"Yes, you are; you won't kill Melika."

"There's other ways to save your life without resorting to murder."

"I won't marry you, if that's what you're hoping."

"We'll see about that." Cody muttered, then spoke up more loudly. "Do you like whippets?"
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Whippets? Why in Melkor's name was he asking her about dogs? She was going to be killed, one way or other, soon enough, and he was asking her opinion of whippets.

"Yes, I like whippets. Why? What does it matter? No one is allowed to walk free from attempted murder, I know your laws. Conspiring to kill the Stewardess of the White Tower isn't sitting down for a cup of tea. I'm going to be executed, and you're talking about dogs."
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:53 pm

"There most certainly is a way, and for you, it will involve whippets. Lots and lots of whippets."

Her brow furrowed. "What exactly are you talking about, Tarquin? Have you gone mad?"

"I have not gone mad, but I have come upon a plan to save you from being executed."

"What is it, Tarquin? Tell me that I may judge for myself the degree of your insanity."

"I will not tell you so much as one iota."

"You're being impossibly stubborn."

"Thank you; follow me." He rose and led her into the hallway.
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:59 pm

"Those guards will be back soon. They went to fetch a priest, remember, and since I am not pregnant, they have no reason to not haul me off to jail." She protested as he led her out.

She wished she was a mind-reader. Was Tarquin actually mad? "Tell me what in Melkor's name you're planning."

Perhaps he was simply toying with her, making her think that she could escape the noose, only to lead her personally to the executioner. Like how a cat plays with a mouse.
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:14 pm

"They certainly will haul you off if you don't follow. Come along."

"This is madness. Where are you going?"

"Keep following."

"I'm staying right here."

"If the guards find you, you will die."

Spurred on by her desire to avoid death, she followed him...right to Melika of Dale's door.

"Are you mad, Tarquin? She'll kill me." Rien snapped, practically spitting as a cat does when it sees a strange dog.

"No, she won't; trust me, and don't say one word."
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:19 pm

"Why should I trust you? I hate you. You have every reason to see me dead." She said shortly. "I'm not going in there. She's surrounded by guards who will run me through with just a glance. I won't accept your false hope of living; no one gets away with attempted murder. I know that like I know the back of my hand."

(apologies for the short post. my creative juices are ebbing as my migraine increases.)
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Without waiting for her permission or consent, Cody bent down, grabbed Rien's waist, and carried her into Melika's chambers sans ceremony, Rien beating on him all the while. "Put me down now, Cody!

Cody ignored her, but instead saluted Melika. "Are you sure you are willing to accept the cost?" Melika asked seriously of Tarquin.

"I am; Riencuran is worth it." was his eager reply; while his Dale companion looked doubtful at the worth of the assassin, she nodded in acceptance. "Very well; take her to her new duties--and remember your promise."

"I will, m'lady." He replied as he carried her out of the room.

"Now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Cody asked Rien as he walked her down the hallway and down a flight of stairs.

"Put me down you hairless gorilla and tell me what that was about."

"I won't put you down when you're in a bad temper, and I certainly won't explain things to you; now be quiet and we'll be there soon."
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 pm

"We'll be where?" She said impatiently. "Tell me what in Melkor's name is going on. I'm worth what? Why didn't Melika arrest me? And set me down!"

She had never been down these stairs before, but then again, the White Tower was huge. She had never been down a lot of stairs.

"Tarquin, tell me what is going on right now!" The assassin pounded on his back, still struggling to get down.
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:09 pm

"You'll find out our destination soon enough." He replied as he held her tightly onto his shoulder with one hand and fumbled about for a ring of keys in his other, unlocking a wooden door before them; Rien felt the breeze rushing through her hair and knew they were outside.

"Are we going to the gallows?" Rien demanded.

"No, we are not going to the gallows."

"You're going to tie me up in a sack and toss me in the Anduin, aren't you?"

"Nothing even remotely that unpleasant." He replied; out of the corner of her eye, she saw him walk past a fenced yard where two horses were being kept.

"Then where are we going?" She demanded. Just then, something licked her naked ankle.

"It seems Jewel likes you." Cody replied mildly.

"Who is Jewel? What are you talking about?" She demanded as Cody finally set her down.

"You are now the assistant dog-keeper." He handed her a shovel. "Follow me and I'll introduce you to the dogs that are kept here."

Jewel, a sleek whippet, followed them to the first pen, then she laid down to nurse ten squirming, whimpering ten-day old pups.

"You've met Jewel already; she's had her fifth litter now."
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:51 pm

(Rien's first two lines are very un-Rienish =P You lightsider...can't properly capture the spirit of my character. =P)

Riencuran was still looking rather blankly at the shovel and then the dogs.

"Assisstant dogkeeper?" She repeated. "I attempt to murder the Stewardess of Gondor, and I'm given a job?"

How was this a punishment? She found it beneath her, yes, but hardly a punishment. What had Tarquin arranged with Melika? Her eyes narrowed.

"What deal did you make with Melika of Dale? Why aren't I imprisoned?"
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 pm

"This is your prison; you are not permitted to leave the kennels; you will sleep in the kennel house, take your mealsl in the kennel house, and work here for no pay under my supervision; if the dogs go hungry, you go hungry; if they ae not groomed, your provisions for grooming will be taken from you; if their waste is not removed, neither will yours be; if one of them becomes sick, you will remain up all night with it; if their fleas are not treated, any insects you pick up in your hair and skin will not be treated"

He saw her look at him in mild disgust.

"and if you attempt to escape..."

"Yes?" Rien demanded, knowing that if she left, Kain's other assassins would track her down to kill her.

"I will be executed."

"You're a fool." Rien snapped. "If I escape, you'll be executed."

"Consider that as long as you stay here, your life is safe from Kain Kadoa and his henchmen; if I die, your death will be upon your heels. Your first task is to water the dogs, then to take them out one at a time and scrub out all thirty kennels. With a sponge and a water bucket and lye soap. Do it quickly and well, and you'll be permitted a bath tonight." He paused.

"So Melika has ruled; since her life once hung on your need to keep me alive; so your life and existence will hang on your need to have me report your work satisfactory; justice is served."
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 pm

The elfess was silent, bitterly reflecting that in Gondor she was as much as slave as she was in Khand. In Khand however, she had not been reduced to keeping dogs. Her new treatment was worse than her past punishments in Khand.

"Justice." She scoffed under her breath. "Being the slave of dogs, both the beasts and their masters."

She was an assassin. She was an elf. She had been submitted to humiliating things, but scrubbing kennels, cleaning dogs...be permitted to bathe, permitted to eat, permitted to receive treatment...

"I refuse to be a slave. I'd rather you killed me."
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:18 pm

"I seem to recall that you once made a certain mortal a slave--living under worse conditions that you are now under--without any qualms."

"You didn't have worse conditions." Rien insisted.

"Sleeping on a pile of coal when I wasn't shoveling them on the fire to keep Kain Kadoa's fire roaring?" Cody pointed out to remind her.

"That was as rough as conditions became."

"Used as an attack dummy for three new mastiffs he wanted to train? You know I still bear the scars from those attacks, Rien."

Rien remembered; remembered tending to his wounds while he lay, unconscious from the loss of blood; it was the first time she had seen him without a shirt, clean, without coal dust in his clothes and on his skin.

"This is still slavery."

'You are an assistant, and I am here to train you until you can do the entire job yourself; let's take water to the dogs." Cody replied, motioning he to follow him to the pump next to the kennel master's house.
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:52 am

"Is that how lightsiders get around their feelings of guilt, by calling them assistants instead of slaves?" She said, still unmoving from where she stood.

"Slaves are beaten, harassed, forced to procreate with their masters. You will be treated as well as you treat the dogs; treat them well, and you will not notice any difference in your life."

She laughed. "Not notice a difference? Yes, it's just like home, taking care of dogs, having to depend on your good will, living in the dog kennel. I've barely noticed I'm not in Khand anymore. What other things will make the relocation unnoticed? Worshiping your cursed Illuvatar? Scampering off to do whatever I'm bid?" Just then Jewel came up and nosed Rien's hand, a pup in her mouth.

"She wants you to have that one, it seems. What will you name her?"

"I don't want a dog when thirty of them are now my brand-new masters." The elfess growled.
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:04 am

"Would you prefer Kain's assassins to find you and kill you?" He asked; she did not answer.

"Come on, then." He replied

Jewel pressed the pup into her hands and Rien reluctantly took it; the trusting look in the dog's eyes touched her.

"So you do want the pup." Cody noted with a smile.

"To train it to kill you, as payment for what you have done to me."

"I seem to recall you threatening to sic Kain's dogs on me as your slave; you never did. I highly doubt you'll do so now." Cody replied as they approached the water pump and Cody placed the bucket which was propped upside down upon the pump's handle underneath the spout. "I'll hold the pup while you pump."

"You will never touch him." Rien growled. She didn't want the pup to get used to Tarquin's touch; wanted the pup to trust only her so she could pay Tarquin back.

"Actually, 'he' is a 'she'." Cody corrected.
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:27 pm

Riencuran began mumbling a myriad of curses in the Black Speech, curses that would make some of the most hardened orcs blush. Cody took the pup from her arms, and she didn't stop him. She hoped it bit him. The elf was discovering a new dislike for the beasts.

"The water, Rien." Cody reminded her.

She pumped the water into the cursed buckets, and when finished, glared at him.

"Carry it, and we'll take it around to the dogs."

Seething with fury, she picked up one of the buckets, and dumped it on Cody, and kicked over the other one.

"I'm not going to be the slave of dogs, Tarquin."
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:23 pm

The pup leapt from Cody's arms and shook itself, wetting both man and elf as it trotted back to its mother for a thorough drying.

Cody did not attempt to dry off before swooping down, grabbing Rien's waist, tossing her over his shoulder as he bent down to grab the buckets and walk into the kennel.

Rien screeched and kicked but to no avail; in the end, she was brought into the kennel, the door was locked, and Cody had the key; he was too strong for her to wrest it from him. Perhaps she would try later to relinguish it after some..persuasion...on her part.

Before she could attempt to do so, he took a pair of shackles and attached them to her legs, preventing her from running off; he then locked them to a second pair of shackles on her hands.

"Your mobility is extremely limited, but you have enough mobility to go abount your basic tasks. March ahead of me, and learn well, and the chains will come off."

If the chains came off; she could seduce the brat, take the key and leave. Perhaps she'd find a new dark lord to work for, one who would offer her protection from Kain's goons.

The same pup Rien had drenched earlier came up and sniffed her chains, gnawing at them as though to attempt to remove them.
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:45 am

Irritate , she pushed the pup away. "I do not march, and I do not take your orders." Somehow, no matter how much she thought to, her pride wouldn't let her succumb to him, even to escape. "I am not your slave, kennel assistant, servant, whatever you want to call it."

Rien glared at himly steadi, her grey eyes narrowed. "Why was I kept from being executed? Others have been, and for lesser crimes than attempted murder. What did you say to Melika? Why?"

(apologies for shortness.)
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:47 pm

Book Meme!

(Just for fun...and to liven things up...)

Fill out each of the nine categories with your answers:

1) A book that changed my life:

2) A book I've read more than once:

3) A book I'd take to a desert island:

4) A book that made me laugh:

5) A book that made me cry:

6) A book I wish had been written:

7) A book that should never have been written:

8) A book I'm currently reading:

9) A book I'm planning to read:

My answers

1) A book that changed my life: Bible.

2) A book I've read more than once: Bible; Lord of the Rings; Ivanhoe, Pride and Prejudice...I have to pick one? This is hard...

3) A book I'd take to a desert island: the US Army Survival Manual I picked up at Barnes and Noble once; hey, this is a desert island; I'd kinda like to survive the experience. :P

4) A book that made me laugh: The Hobbit

5) A book that made me cry: Les Miserables

6) A book I wish had been written: anything published by "Oyarsa Elentari"; she is required to pubish something for me to read. Yes, Oyarsa, required. :P

7) A book that should never have been written: Gone with the Wind

8) A book I'm currently reading: "Kingdom of Priests"

9) A book I'm planning to read: "Telling Stories to Touch the Heart"
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Riencuran » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:57 pm

1) A book that changed my life: Ralph Waldo Emerson's Essays

2) A book I've read more than once: Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, LotR,

3) A book I'd take to a desert island: How to Survive a Zombie Attack. Because the desert island might have zombies.

4) A book that made me laugh: Babe

5) A book that made me cry: New Moon :(

6) A book I wish had been written: There's not a book that hasn't been written :P Name a topic or a plot, and someone, somewhere, has written something like it.

7) A book that should never have been written: Slaughterhouse-Five

8 ) A book I'm currently reading: Wuthering Heights and Doctor Zhivago

9) A book I'm planning to read: Someone Like You :)

What do you have against Gone with the Wind?? :shock:
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Can I just say what an admirable job you guys have done in keeping the spirit of the AML alive? :)
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Riencuran » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

I'm not part of the spirit. I just rattle around here to bother PM :)

And to mock her "good wins all" yadda yadda.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, PM. So stop being consistent; join the forces of darkness :wink:
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Riencuran » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:57 am

Riencuran strolls inside, wondering why the AML is so quiet. She notices the dust on the floor, the cobwebs in the candlesticks, and the "Condemned" sign on the door as she walks in.

Hello?

The sound bounces throughout the empty halls in a lonely echo.

The White Tower is looking more like The Dusty and Abandoned Tower. Where have all the good men gone?

The assassin supposes this means that the forces of darkness can move in, seeing as the AML has been abandoned by all the followers of good and light.

I'll just make myself comfortable then. :twisted:
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:55 pm

*sighs*

I couldn't agree more, but really, this is even MORE of a ramshackle pile of dirt and debris than normal.

tsk, tsk

:wink:
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Riencuran » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:10 pm

I think PM has rather given up on any attempts at housekeeping...or living here, for that matter...

Such a pity...
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:16 pm

(OOC: Riencuran "Do not insult the Lady of the White Tower, lest you wish to remain a permanent guest herein."

Oyarsa: *pulls a lever on a nearby wall which instantaneously opens a conveniently positioned trapdoor. The hapless elfess falls through and lands in a cell from which no force, strategm, illusion or magic can free her.* That's for not replying to the book meme. ;)

Will you be next, Rien? :D

Denethor: Good to see you back, m'lord. *bows* )

IC: "Because I intervened on your behalf." Cody replied.

Rien smirked. "I expected that much; once a slave, always a slave."

"No, Rien; I was once your slave, but it was not out of a slave's devotion to an old mistress that I spared you from death."

"Then what was it, then?"

"The dogs, Rien. They want their dinner."

"I refuse to feed them."

"Then I refuse to tell you anything further." Cody replied; he knew she still needed his assistance to get to Melika; she would surely struggle against him, perhaps refuse him even now, but in the end she would listen, at least outwardly. He wondered what had caused the heart of one so fair to harden. How such a beautiful elf maiden had turned to evil and darkness. But he could not reveal these thoughts to her now; she would be frightened and repulsed at a declaration of love; to disguise her feelings, she would mock him and rebuke him. If she was in the mood to torment him, she might try to manipulate his affection to gain her freedom. No; he must be silent on that score, at least for now.
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 pm

(OOC: I replied to your book meme, and you're abusive enough to me without trapdoors :P So no, I'm not next.)

Rien regarded Cody with resentful, angry grey eyes, her former slave, her current captor. She then looked at the shackles on her ankles and wrists, symbols of her new slavery to this mortal she hated, and to the dogs he was forcing her to tend. She didn't care if she and the dogs starved. Filthy, vile beasts. Just like Cody. Just like all men. The dogs were just as disgusting as their light masters.

"Go away then, Tarquin, and let me be while your beasts suffer dehydration and hunger because your assistant won't take care of them." She growled. "At least those of us in darkness don't hide what we do. We don't cover things with glitter to make them seem like gold. You've made me your slave and the slave of dogs, and you insist that I'm an assistant." The bitter elfess scoffed.

"So run along. Go tell Melika you've chained the beast, yet again. As always, my feeble attempts are no danger to anyone, least of all your precious Steward. I'm tired of you and your sickeningly light ways. You and every lightsider in this tower disgust me." She turned away, anger burning bright in her smoldering eyes.
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Cody sighed in disappointment. How was he going to reach her? The pup licked at Rien's shackles and worried them; Rien did not appear to notice. Cody reached for the pup to pick him up.

The pup whimpered and squirmed as Cody lifted him. "See how he's already become attached to you?"

"I don't care about any of the dogs."

"Including your own?"

"He is not my dog. All of my dogs have been vicious, rending traitorous slaves to pieces."

"He is your dog, but I will not permit you to train him to viciousness."

"Then he is not my dog, is he? You are controlling what I can do with him, and what I cannot."

"He likes you; he wants to get to know you."

"I'd like to know him better; you just don't agree with my terms."

"I don't approve of abusing any dog."

Riencuran mentally promised herself that after she enticed Cody to kill Melika, she would see to it that he became drunken to the point of violence, then have him stumble over one of the dogs so that he would be inclined to beat it.

"Anyone can become an abuser, Tarquin; and you're easier to manipulate than most."

"You underestimate me."

"Do I?" She replied; he was irritated at the smirk on her lips and spoke to her coldly:

"Either you will care for the dogs, or I will write a letter to your brother Luin and ask him to bring you home."
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Riencuran » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:06 pm

One would think that after over a thousand years in darkness, with a hard heart that enabled her to be a swift, skilled assassin, the Dark Crescent of Minas Morgul would hardly be ruffled by a threat to have her brother come collect her, and yet, the elfess grew very still. Luin was just as bad, if not worse, than Cody in her mind. Her brother was also very aware that it was his sister that had been setting fire to the property on a yearly basis, as she was nearly always in the area once a year. Last year she had started a fire in the orchards, and he lost more than half the trees. The year before that it had been the northwest garden.

Luin would love nothing more than to both bring his wayward, dark sister back to light, and at the same time, punish her for what she had done over the years. Cody's punishment, while degrading, was still better than being executed, Rien had to admit.

Her brother was also impossible to manipulate.

"I'll take care of the filthy creatures." The elfess grumbled after a mental pros and cons of Cody versus Luin. "But I won't care for them."

"Even the slightest neglect, and a letter goes to your brother."

"I said I'd take care of them." Riencuran snapped. "Is your mortal, light ego satisfied now? Care to gloat? The high and mighty Dark Crescent is tending dogs. What you only imagined in your dreams has now become your reality. Congratulations, Tarquin."
Riencuran
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Tarquin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:19 pm

"Then lift up the bucket; I'll show you how to feed them." The remainder of the evening was spent in feeding the dogs, exercising the dogs, cleaning up the kennels, and checking all the kennels to make certain all the dogs were locked into their kennels. Cody observed that Rien did not lock Jewel's pup with its siblings. The pup followed Rien's every move, sometimes stumbling, but always eager to be behind her.

At the end of her shift, Cody could see that Rien was weary. Elfess though she was, she was ill-used to the labor of feeding an entire kennel of whippets, mastiffs and hounds. She did not complain when Cody removed her chains and carried her to the kennelmaster's house. "Your chains will be returned to you in the morning." He informed her as he locked the door to the kennelmaster's house. "You may sleep with them off, so long as you behave yourself. Misbehavior will result in the composition of a letter to your beloved brother Luin."

"I hate you."

"I'm sure Luin would love to hear such a sentiment in my letter to him--"
Lord_Tarquin
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth