The AMMM Federation II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Oyarsa » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:18 am

Khamul, m’dear, you always threaten but rarely follow through. :wink: I believe I’ve survived your ‘merciless demise’ at least twice now… So bring on the bunny pics, Mel. :D

Mel? Huh, I guess she didn’t like her graduation gift… (By the by, can it really be called graduation when you’re only graduating into more school???) Hmm, mayhap she’s avoiding our little game; however, for someone who has survived being set on fire (multiple times), punctured by blades (upon occasion), and any other general torture, I’d truly be surprised if a little game of darts causes flight.

By the by, apparently my new nickname is Murrey. :angel: Don’t ask, long story. However, if anyone has seen Stargate SG-1, you may intuit the reason for my rather extreme amusement. :D

So, question of the day: Who said/wrote: “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby §ol » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Oyarsa wrote:So, question of the day: Who said/wrote: “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”

You, just now.
§ol
Mariner

Postby Oyarsa » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:07 am

§ol wrote:You, just now.

:P

Much as I'd like to take credit for any great quote, I am not the originator of suchly. Who is famous for saying/writing that quote?
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn_In_Black » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:49 am

* picks her teeth with the tip of one of her Daler Darts *

Er, Norman Cousins?
Bardhwyn_In_Black
Shield Bearer

Postby Oyarsa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Yup. I guess that means Bardie gets first shot at Dart the Daler when Mel (or Bard's 'good' twin) shows up.

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: <-- just because I like this one.
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby §ol » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:34 pm

Oyarsa wrote:
§ol wrote:You, just now.

:P

Much as I'd like to take credit for any great quote, I am not the originator of suchly. Who is famous for saying/writing that quote?

Given that this supposedly famous person did not leave an impact large enough for me to remember them, I'm sticking with my first answer.
§ol
Mariner

Postby Khamul'sshadow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:18 pm

One would think, Oyarsa, that being buried alive so long ago had taught you a sharp lesson. Then again, some people are gluttons for punishment :wink: I've never heard of this Cousins fellow myself, though the quotation is quite excellent.
Khamul'sshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:27 pm

*pauses from her current task of taping up 'Khamul, Favorite Bunny-Wraith of the Year' posters on the walls of the Great Hall.*

A sharp lesson? Hmmm...mayhap with your 'fun' idea of a mask, I can see your point, but I'm afraid being buried alive didn't leave much of an impression. :wink:

*decides to make a quick exit, before someone murders her for her puns* :shock:

Seriously though, how's it going Khamul? Still teaching? Any change in local?

Lol, §ol. To be honest, I had to look up the author of that particular quote, since I could recall the basics of the quote but not the person who penned it. *shrugs* Counsins isn't high on my radar, I just thought the quote was nifty. :D
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Khamul'sshadow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes I'm still teaching. However, now I'm located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
It's a great city and the country is fascinating. Also, there's so many interesting countries to visit nearby; I'm off to India next month for a conference, so that should be most interesting as I've never visited the Subcontinent before. Next year I plan on going to Vietnam and probably Indonesia as well. At somepoint I want to get down to new Zealand and from there take a cruise to Antartica, which has always been on my list of "must visit " places.
Khamul'sshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:50 am

Wow, you are quite the 'globe-trotter' Khamul! It must be extraordinary to visit all of those places. :D
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessMelika » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:11 am

Just a brief note to say that classes and work has kept me insanely busy, hence my lack of a reply till just now; haven't read through all of this thread (more of a cursory glance of this page) so I'm undoubtedly missing a lot;

Oyarsa: Since you have apparently sent my graduation gift (and you presumably sent it to my current address, as opposed to my former address, I can only assume that it is lost in the vaccum that is the USPS mailing system, (:roll: )unless you have sent it in the past week. I have not gotten it, but when I do, you will receive confirmation in the form of a thank you note. :) By the by, approximately what size is the gift? If it came in a package, it may have been too big to fit in my mail slot....but I will check. :)

"Khamul, Favorite Bunny-Wraith of the Year" ROTFLOL!

Re: Murrey: Yes, I have to ask. I know, I know...curiousity is ever my undoing... :wink:

Re: Puns. I'll o-PUN the door for you to escape. :P What? I'm a dead duck here anyway? Why not? :P

In regard to pictures, I will endeavor to finish off my roll and get them uploaded to Flickr; a link will be posted here when it is ready.

Khamul: So, is that brutal, swift, and merciless demise anything like my inevitable breaking to darkness I was supposed to have received in the AMMM/AML rp? :P

Wow, Khammie-bear, you're quite the wayfarer. Keep us updated in here. :)

*waits non-chalantly for the dart throwing to commence*

....so is my character about to die again? Oh well, not the first time. If I get around to it, I'll write up a daring and dastardly escape that will confound Oyarsa "Saturday Morning Villain Wannabe" Elentari. :wink:
PrincessMelika
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:43 pm

Hey there Mel, actually it was a card and giftcard for B&N, and I sent it out the Tuesday after told you I was going to. I'll have to find the receipt for the giftcard, and see if I can get a replacement. Else wise, I'll just get you another one. :-)

Apologies for the late response, must get back to work now. :-)
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Oyarsa wrote:Sent it out the Tuesday after told you I was going to

That would be *reads through old emails*

Holy Guacamole! That's nearly two months ago!!! :Q :Q :Q :Q

Wow. Of all the things for the Post Office to lose....I'm surprised it wasn't "returned to sender" by now...

Have fun at work. :) Did they have a celebration or anything for your upcoming birthday, today? If not, may I have your supervisor's phone number so I can tell him/her to remedy that? :wink:
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:29 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OYARSA!!!

:horse: :drink: :clap: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :clap: :drink: :horse:

Here's a birthday :hug: for you.

Heck, everyone join in!

:grouphug:

Remember, Khamul is forever the pink one.

:D
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby Khamul'sshadow » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Greetings all. The year of the Dog is almost done and the Pig is upon us. Let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2007 !
Khamul'sshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Oyarsa » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:51 pm

Yeep, just wanted to pop in and say a great big 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' to Melika!!! :D :D I know, I know, it was yesterday, unfortunately, my computer had a bad day yesterday and refused to boot-up. :doh: I truly hope you had a great day, surrounded by family and friends and lots and lots of beer, er, cake, yup, that's what I meant. :wink: :drink:

Best wishes always. :)
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessMelika » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Thanks Oyarsa. :)

*pops the cap of a bottle of root beer, begins drinking*

"One day Oyarsa threw a party, root beer was the drink of choice...."

*waits for the Lady O. to show up.*
PrincessMelika
Ranger of the North

Postby §ol » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm

On a completely random note, I saw Verc on MSN last week.

I completely forgot I had him on my list.
§ol
Mariner

Postby Oyarsa » Fri May 25, 2007 7:06 am

The Lady of the Hall slipped noiselessly into the dark demesne. Cool, ebony marble greeted her in elegant whispers as her heavy cloak swept along the floor as she walked. Timeless were these halls, though history ever echoed within.

The main hall rose before her, and though empty for the moment, stood pristine, everything in order. …Or at least almost everything. Two glasses, one empty, one full, stood silent sentry on a table, next to a note. With one look at the graceful letters, Oyarsa realized, her closest friend of the misguided Light had been and gone. Though hopefully, she was somewhere still safely in the Tower, and had not met her end as sport to some of the more sadistic creatures in the hall. :wink:

Hey there, Mel, §ol. :D How goes things? Mel, did you get my new phone number? I finally had it changed after my friendly neighborhood stalker called one too many times. Things are going okay here, and I’m definitely looking forward to this long holiday weekend! :D

Does anyone have any big plans? Trips, cruises, or just hanging out with friends? *looks at above posts* By the by, Mel, I hope you’re not adding any more stanzas to that rootbeer creation of yours…

Anyway, for anyone around, I thought we could re-energize some of our sleeping brain cells with a few mind teasers.

Here are some riddles:

1. I contain faces of different colors, for fun they get mixed with one another. It's easy for them to hang outside their 'race,' but it's quite tricky to put them back in their place. With time and patience it can be done, but to mix them up again is way more fun. What am I?

2. With pointed fangs I sit and wait, with piercing force I dole out fate. Over bloodless victims proclaiming my might, eternally joining in a single bite. What am I?

3. I'm sometimes white but always wrong. I can break a heart and hurt the strong. I can build love and tear it down. I can make a smile but more often a frown. What am I?

4. You grasp my handle and give me a push. I rotate and roll, doing my job. You put pressure on me, and I cause division. Then you enjoy the fruits of my labor, while I lie, cast aside, feeling cheesy and red of face. What am I?

5. I have legs but walk not, a strong back but work not, two good arms but reach not, a seat but sit and tarry not. What am I?

6. I have keys that open no locks, I have space, but there is no room, You can enter, but you can't go in. What am I?

7. I have a hundred legs, But cannot stand. I have a long neck, But no head. I cannot see, and I'm neat and tidy, As can be. What am I?

8. They have not flesh, nor feathers, nor scales, nor bone. Yet they have fingers and thumbs of their own. What are they?

9. Many things can create one, it can be of any shape or size, it is created for various reasons, and it can shrink or grow with time. What is it?

10. While exploring the wilds of Canada, Wild Man Dave was captured by hostile wood fairies. Brad, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be boiled in water. If the statement were true, he would be fried in oil. Wild Man Dave found neither of this options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation.

What is the one statement he could have made?
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby §ol » Sun May 27, 2007 12:54 pm

Oyarsa wrote:Hey there, Mel, §ol. :D How goes things? Mel, did you get my new phone number? I finally had it changed after my friendly neighborhood stalker called one too many times. Things are going okay here, and I’m definitely looking forward to this long holiday weekend! :D

Does anyone have any big plans? Trips, cruises, or just hanging out with friends? *looks at above posts* By the by, Mel, I hope you’re not adding any more stanzas to that rootbeer creation of yours…

Things are well enough. Just being lazy this weekend, going to be going to a coworker's wedding in Kentucky in a tad under a month, and later this summer a friend from Norway is going to be staying with me for some undetermined period of time (between a day and a week at this point). That's about it right now.

1. I contain faces of different colors, for fun they get mixed with one another. It's easy for them to hang outside their 'race,' but it's quite tricky to put them back in their place. With time and patience it can be done, but to mix them up again is way more fun. What am I?

Rubik's Cube. I'll leave the rest for someone else ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby Bardhwyn_In_Black » Sun May 27, 2007 1:33 pm

Oyarsa wrote:6. I have keys that open no locks, I have space, but there is no room, You can enter, but you can't go in. What am I?

A computer connected to the internet.

§ol. Strange how, just earlier today, I was calling you to mind - the details I will keep to myself. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. My thanks, again.

*With a sigh, BiB settles back into a leather bound, overstuffed chair off to the side.*
Bardhwyn_In_Black
Shield Bearer

Postby §ol » Sun May 27, 2007 10:52 pm

Bardhwyn_In_Black wrote:
Oyarsa wrote:6. I have keys that open no locks, I have space, but there is no room, You can enter, but you can't go in. What am I?

A computer connected to the internet.

§ol. Strange how, just earlier today, I was calling you to mind - the details I will keep to myself. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. My thanks, again.

*With a sigh, BiB settles back into a leather bound, overstuffed chair off to the side.*

Erm...you're welcome? I don't know whether to be pleased or scared. :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby Bardhwyn_In_Black » Mon May 28, 2007 4:16 am

(totally IC:)

*smiles*

A bit of both should suffice.
Bardhwyn_In_Black
Shield Bearer

Postby Oyarsa » Wed May 30, 2007 5:34 am

§ol wrote:Things are well enough. Just being lazy this weekend, going to be going to a coworker's wedding in Kentucky in a tad under a month, and later this summer a friend from Norway is going to be staying with me for some undetermined period of time (between a day and a week at this point). That's about it right now.

Sounds like a relaxing weekend. :D I much prefer relaxing and not doing anything to running around like I just did this last weekend. :-J Have fun in KY and with your friend from Norway! When were you in Norway, or how did you meet someone from there? College? By the by, how's the job going? Still great to be out of college?

§ol wrote:Rubik's Cube. I'll leave the rest for someone else ;)

correct :D
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby §ol » Wed May 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Oyarsa wrote:Sounds like a relaxing weekend. :D I much prefer relaxing and not doing anything to running around like I just did this last weekend. :-J Have fun in KY and with your friend from Norway! When were you in Norway, or how did you meet someone from there? College? By the by, how's the job going? Still great to be out of college?

So how come you nver get on MSN anymore, anyway?

I was never in Norway, she's someone I know from the other site I (still, yes :P) work at. I've known her for over half a decade now, and she's met with a guy I met last summer multiple times, as well as dozens of other people I've known for a while, so I don't really have any problems with her staying here *shrug*

Work's going well enough, although it doesn't vary much day to day. You know how it is. I miss every aspect of college except for the whole "school" part ;)

Bard: Whatever works for ya ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby Oyarsa » Wed May 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Because MSN will not let me log onto IM anymore. :( (Feel free to e-mail me whenever though :) ...although Mel can attest to the fact that I'm pretty terrible at writing long e-mails back on a regular basis :oops: ) A long time ago, when I tried to download their multiple and unceasing updates, something got messed up, and long story short, I haven't had IM for I think a year or more. :bang: <-- that was me the last time I tried to fix my IM. Currently, I'm just waiting to get a new computer.

Yup, work tends to be rather monotonous at times, but at least we get $ for being bored. ;) *laughs* I’d most definitely have to agree with your school statement. I loved the atmosphere, energy, etc. I just had a rather extreme dislike to the tests, quizzes, 20-pg papers, and all that.

Heyla, glad to hear you’re still around on the other site. Is your friend a torc’er as well? Yeesh, things have really slowed down here. Almost a bit of a ghost town.

So...any more answers to my mind teasers? I rather liked number 2. Reminded me a bit of Khammie. :P
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby §ol » Thu May 31, 2007 12:25 am

Oyarsa wrote:Because MSN will not let me log onto IM anymore. :( (Feel free to e-mail me whenever though :) ...although Mel can attest to the fact that I'm pretty terrible at writing long e-mails back on a regular basis :oops: ) A long time ago, when I tried to download their multiple and unceasing updates, something got messed up, and long story short, I haven't had IM for I think a year or more. :bang: <-- that was me the last time I tried to fix my IM. Currently, I'm just waiting to get a new computer.

http://www.meebo.com Problem solved, no download required. Should work in any internet browser :)

Heyla, glad to hear you’re still around on the other site. Is your friend a torc’er as well? Yeesh, things have really slowed down here. Almost a bit of a ghost town.

Nah, don't think there's anyone over there that's also over here, except for possibly The Kahn, but if he goes to wotmania, it's on the WoT board which I avoid like the plague. ;)

So...any more answers to my mind teasers? I rather liked number 2. Reminded me a bit of Khammie. :P

2 - stapler. ;)
3 - LIES!
4 - a rolling pin?
5 - A chair

Once more, leave the rest for others :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby Oyarsa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:05 pm

§ol wrote:http://www.meebo.com Problem solved, no download required. Should work in any internet browser :)

Heyla, I tried this with my YM. Very nifty! :D I'm not sure how secure this is, so I have not tried it with my MSN IM though... :?

2 - correct! I liked this one :D
3 - correct!
4 - nope
5 - correct!
Oyarsa
Ranger of the North

Postby Altariel_the_Wise » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:39 pm

Oyarsa: No, I did not get your new phone number nor have I heard about your stalker problem. Are you safe? He hasn't taken to following you in public, I hope?

Hope you had a good Memorial Day weekend. Was your family able to get together?

No big plans; work, a class, a mini-vacation here and there. If you're able to get to Hawaii, I want pictures....*dodges sharp, pointy, metallic objects....* I know, I KNOW! I'll get them up soon, I promise!

No, I haven't added any verses to "that root beer creation of mine"; not since I posted a few stanzas on a part 2 a few years back in here, but apparently my muse left me at that point, since apparently my inspiration quickly evaporated. :P

Answers/Guesses to your riddles

4. A pizza cutter???
6. Bard guessed a computer. I'll be more specific. A keyboard.
7. A broom. (No, you can't use it on any un-named lightsiders here-in, next question? :P )
8. gloves????
9. A hole???
10. "I wiill be boiled in water". The chief can't claim the statement true without instigating the true-statement punishment (fried in oil), thereby rendering the statement false.

Regarding MSN IM, I rarely use IMing programs myself anymore, except Google Chat/Google Talk. (http://www.google.com/talk/) If you elect to use it, email me, and I will give you my username and add you to my list.

Eh, you generally reply to my emails eventually...and I enjoy them whenever they do come.

By the by, has anyone purchased or read "The Children of Hurin" yet?

PM quietly waits for the Lady of the Hall to return, that tales may once again ring in the hall as of old. Idly, her mind turns to thoughts of Ulairi and the color pink...
Altariel_the_Wise
Shield Bearer

Postby §ol » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:34 pm

Oyarsa wrote:
§ol wrote:http://www.meebo.com Problem solved, no download required. Should work in any internet browser :)

Heyla, I tried this with my YM. Very nifty! :D I'm not sure how secure this is, so I have not tried it with my MSN IM though... :?

Secure how? It's not like Yahoo or MSN encrypt messages to begin with. The only IM system I know that does is Trillian, and then only between other Trillian users on ICQ or AIM - the protocol supports it, but the main clients don't bother.

If you mean is meebo trustworthy with your password, it's your call. They seem as trustworthy as any other company you give a password to as far as I'm concerned :P

But yeah. AJAX rocks. And you logged in but didn't say hi to me? Woe :(

PM - no, I haven't read it, actually. Shame really. Also, Google Talk is just a variant of Jabber. not to take away from it, but there's a lot of people who can talk to it/be talked to through it that don't use Google Talk at all ;)
§ol
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth