Kindred Spirits - a guild for fans of L. M. Montgomery

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Tue May 11, 2004 8:32 am

I feel like it's been forever since I've been here!

I'm feeling much more Anne-ish these days, now that spring is finally upon us in all its glory. It lifts my spirits so much more to look out my window here and see the young leaves dancing in the breeze, and the butterflies chasing each other over the grass.

Of course, it also makes me wish I could abandon all my end-of-the-semester work and go revel in it. Which is a bit of a problem right now... :roll:

I had a very Anne moment a few weeks ago; I was on a camping trip, and we were hiking through the woods and came across a beautiful stream. It was so calming to hear the water laughing as it tumbled over the rocks. I suppose people used to be able to cross over the waterfalls, but the footbridge had collapsed to create another waterfall. It made me happy to see something man-made harmonizing so well with God's creation. And it would not have surprised me at all to see an elf or a fairy there- a person could believe in magic in a place like that.

It makes me sad to see trees die too. Even more so to see them cut down. :cry:

And LOTR is definitely that book for me- there's certain passages I could go back and read every day of my life and never get tired of it.

Buttercup- I love your description of the thunderstorm.

I hope that all of you are doing well!
~smor
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Hero's Song » Tue May 11, 2004 6:26 pm

Hello Kindred Spirits-
Just checking in. My lilacs are all brown and dead and the gorgeous dogwood across the street that was in my sig pic is just a green tree again and my favorite part of the year (late April to early May) is just about gone. Still, there is beauty everywhere. My peonies are about to bust open any day and the azaelas (can't spell that) are blooming everywhere.

We are getting ready for the appearance of the 17-year cicadas here. There are a nuisance more than anything else, but still interesting. They live underground for that long and then come out for one glorious "orgy" :D to mate and then they die. What a life! :P
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Harvestar » Wed May 12, 2004 2:49 pm

Thanks Buttercup! It was on May 3. :) I've always been scared of thunderstorms, but we get such bangers out here, that I've had to become a bit used to them. They often set off the car alarms out here. :shock:

HS, I too love this time of year - it's my birthday along with all of the lovely flowers. Here in the desert spring starts a big earlier than back home - so the March to now time is very lovely. And then the Ironwood trees come out all soft pink and purple - very subtle, but lovely. :) And the bright yellow palo verde are coming out too - nothing subtle about them! :D
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby ElaraElendil » Wed May 12, 2004 5:38 pm

of course, just when it was getting beautiful and warm...it snowed today. What's up with that? :( I was soooo ready for the sun and warmth. Hopefully it will be nicer this weekend. Alas, I am having a Jonah-day. Worked late, dark and cold weather, in a bit of pain...ah, if only there was a quick remedy for the doldrums.
ElaraElendil
Ranger of the North

Postby ElaraElendil » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:28 pm

Where is everyone these days? I was that last one to post? Surely this cannot be.

So...last night was the most incredible thunderstorm. I came out of choir practise and saw the most spectacular storm clouds rolling in over the mountains...lightning was flashing everywhere, thunder was cracking, and the wind was kicking up like crazy--with that lovely smell of oncoming summer rain. I rushed to get in and out the grocery store so I could see the storm--and the evening sun burst through the clouds enriching their beauty with amazing orange and crimson hues! As I drove up the hill towards my house I was heading straight towards a full-arc rainbow with a barely visible twin stretching high above it. It was the first good storm of the season--and felt lucky to be out in it. 8)
ElaraElendil
Ranger of the North

Postby Hero's Song » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:01 am

Wow, ElaraElendil - that "word poem" you wrote sounds wonderful! We have been invaded by cicadas (note my sig pic) and it makes it hard to enjoy the outdoors with those things flyng around humming and landing on you. Still, the sky has been so blue lately and the clouds "cotton-candy" fluffy. The sunsets have been gorgeous, too. I love how sometimes the lower clouds turn purple and look just like mountains in the distance even though we don't have anything close to a real mountain here in Indiana - it's almost surreal, it's so beautiful. 8)

Last weekend I noticed how beautiful the view was from the entrance to our local Wal-Mart - I'd never noticed before. It's built on top of a large hill and is surrounded by other tree-covered hills. I've got to take a photo sometime and maybe use it as a sig pic, but I'm sure if people saw me taking it, they'd think I was nuts. Do I care? Absolutely not!! :D
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf-princessButtercup » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:47 pm

Howdy y'all! (trying to speak 'merican. Do I pass?)

It's so slap-silly late that I'll be waking before I'm sleeping so I am not in the right state of mind to write anything pretty or whatnot. I was just thinking about this guild and was happy to see it on the first page again.

Today was my final exam for my spring class so that means I am now officially done university for the year. This class has made me realize that when it comes to Shakespeare I am incredibly stupid. I enjoy reading his plays for entertainment value, but can get absolutely nothing deeper out of them. Oh well. Why fuss? It all really is Much Ado About Nothing. :roll:

~Buttercup~
Elf-princessButtercup
Ranger of the North

Postby Hero's Song » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:41 am

Howdy, Buttercup! Good to have ya stoppin' by to see us. :)

Your attempts at sounding American made me smile. Hardly anyone really says howdy anymore, except to be silly, at least not where I'm from. But plenty of southerners DO say y'all and other fun stuff But then you probably knew all that :D

I'm jealous of you getting to study Shakespeare! I love the poetry and ryhthm in the Bard's writing, plus all the subtle meanings and learning about all the forgotten customs and words that have changed meaning or been dropped from our language - but them I'm weird :P Besides studying a little Julius Ceasar in sixth grade and Romeo and Juliet in ninth grade, that is all the Shakespeare I got in high school. I dropped out of college to get married before I could take it. Studying the Bard's works is something I really look forward to whenever I can manage to go back to college someday. But then, I'm weird. Oh, did I already say that? :P :D
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf-princessButtercup » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:15 pm

LOL, Hero! I realize that howdy is just a fun word. I believe those of us north of the 49th parallel use it just as often for that purpose.

If you ever get the chance to read or study any of Shakespeare's plays, I'd highly reccommend "Much Ado About Nothing". We didn't have time to read it (the class only lasted 5 weeks) but we watched the film version (with Emma Thompson, Denzel Washington, Keanu Reeves :roll: :twisted: , and a bushy eye-browed Kate Beckingsale). The film is pretty good and is essentially a comedy with one of the pluckiest Shakespearean heroines out there--Beatrice I think her name is. She is as outspoken as Kate from "Taming of the Shrew" but isn't as rude and her eventual spouse admires her for her wit.

I like Shakespeare, I just have to take him in pieces since he is a tad too wordy for me. Unless I have a load of footnotes by my side to explain all the ancient texts I really have a hard time figuring out what is being said. Add to that I normally despise the treatment of women in the plays... :x ...However, I do like watching plays. It was seeing a production of Shakespeare that convinced me that I liked his works (we had to read several in highschool...Merchant of Venice, MacBeth and Hamlet). "Twelfth Night" is another play that I really like. Feste, the play's fool, has plenty of word games that are fun to try and figure out.

~Buttercup~
Elf-princessButtercup
Ranger of the North

Postby Hero's Song » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:06 pm

Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays and movies! :) I loved the Emma Thompson version and that play is how I got my online name. My first experience with a message board was a Shakespeare message board and everyone had names from the plays. I picked "Hero" because I loved that movie. When I came to join TORC, someone already had that name, so I added "Song" to it and my alter-ego was born! :twisted: :D I saw Twelfth Night performed live when I was in high school and thought it was hilarious. Most of my classmates didn't get any of it, though and were bored stiff. :roll:
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Harvestar » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:52 pm

Hello all!

Ah, I love Shakespeare, though I will say that he's meant to be seen and not read! Though for some reading then seeing then going back again to get the things you missed can be a better way.

We went through several plays in HS - Romeo and Juliet - 9th grade, Julius Caesar & Merchant of Venice - 10th grade, MacBeth somewhere, Hamlet, King Lear (we had to listen to these AWFUL records of it :roll: ). My class also took a trip to Stratford, Ontario to see Twelfth Night which was great! I highly recommend going there to see his plays. They often have a few at once. I think Christopher Plummer played King Lear there a few years ago - but I couldn't get back home to go. :(

I finally did see King Lear here at a college production and liked it a lot. It was better to see the action than just listen to it. The Royal National Theater came to town as well with Simon Russel Peale (one of the best Shakespeare actors) as Hamlet. It wasn't set in a weird place or anything, just was straight up Hamlet - WONDERFUL! :D

I'd also HIGHLY recommend going to see "The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged)" if you have the chance - it's often performed on college campus. A HILARIOUS look at Shakespeare and the analysis of it! :D

My favorite is Merchant of Venice - I just love Portia. :D

A few weeks ago I got to go up the mountain to the telescope - it was so nice to see trees again! :) And there was even a little snow left up there - so weird with the near 100 temperatures down in the desert - but I guess that's why they call the mountains around here "sky islands". The amazingly different world up there at 9000 feet - just an hour's drive from the scorching desert.

The one nice thing about this time of year is that the baby quail are out - following their parents in a line across the road around sunset. Reminds me of "Make Way for Ducklings". :D
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby Harvestar » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:38 pm

I posted this over in the Followers of Eru Guild, and wanted to also post it here (for those that haven't seen it):

Saturday I went on a glorious hike with my boyfriend and a friend of ours. The company was good, it was a lovely day - a bit hot, but it was a mostly shady trail. The hike was difficult, but I felt an accomplishment from it and it was only one part that was hard. And there were so much wildlife and birds and pretty views! We mostly just walked along, stopped to take pictures for a while, then continued. Just my kind of hike! We stopped for a long time at this one place with some tiny, but lovely waterfalls with flowers around them. There were columbine flowers on the surface of the pool and butterflies everywhere! There were the loviest little purple ones that were so adorable - like something from a fairy tale! They would sit together on the ground, then rise into a cloud of purple when disturbed. Wow! :)

We just missed seeing an elegant trogon (one of the most lovely birds in the US - and very rare - they only enter the very southern canyons of Arizona) and a bear! We then went to the small produce stand outside the nature preserve just as they were closing and got some good deals! They were thrilled to have someone take a homemade peach pie off their hands and we got 4 lbs of plums for $1!!!! So we muched local apples - so sweet! - on the way home, then made dinner (grilled shark, ceviche YUM! - good salad - and had some pie! YUM YUM!!! And the sunset on the way home was the most amazing "God sky" I'd seen! (God sky = those amazing skies where the sun is behind clouds, shooting out rays of light) I stopped and got a picture though it doesn't do it justice. And then the sunset was so lovely - I thought the sky wouldn't get any better.... but then the moon rose! So beautiful and ancient looking...

Then we watched the Kenneth Branaugh's Much Ado about Nothing. And so ended a perfect day! :) - My boyfriend and friend hadn't seen it before, so it was great to introduce them to so wonderful an adaptation. That movie does evoke some real belly laughs. :D

I hope to get the pictures up on the web soon. :)
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:04 am

HAllo, fellow dreamers! I'll try to come back soon, but I lost my internet about three days ago and I'm trying to catch up. :roll:
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby venetia » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:16 pm

HI,
mind if I butt in?
i am a newbie ( but have been lurking for 18 months)
and I think I am a kindred spirit too!
I started to read LMM as a teenager, at that time searching for second hand books, absolutley loved Anne, and Pat of Silver Bush i also identified with..
Then when the miniseries of Anne came out, me and my sisters were crazy about it, we can still quote endlessly from it, we even has an Anne of Green Gables party more than once all dressed up. I recently got the DVD of the series, it holds up well, so well cast, I still get emotional when Anne and Matthew are driving for the first time down the blossom laden Way of white delight, and she says "This is the first dream that ever came true for me"
I still reread her books for pleasure, now I find I like the collections of stories, A Tangled Web is my current favourite,
and I loved her descriptions of nature and its beauty, the simple life, thats why I am drawn to the Shire also!
regards
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hero's Song » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:07 pm

Welcome Venetia!
Sounds like you are truly a kindred spirit to me. If you go to our first page you will see that we have a "questionnaire" of sorts for new members of our gang. That way we can get to know you a little better and you can know us better.

This guild is always most busy in the fall and in the spring - that seems to be when nature's "dance" draws our attention most and brings out the Anne in all of us. The sunset tonight was just gorgeous and there is that fall "tang" in the air and the leaves are starting to turn. Fall just brings out the poet in all of us.

Have any of you taken the Briggs-Myer personality test. I took it an it turns out I am an INFP - which, according to the test I took, is exactly the same personality type as Anne Shirley. :D I'm not a bit surprised. If any of you don't know your type and are interested in taking the test (it doesn't take long), let me know and I'll post a link.

Hugs to all!
Hero's Song
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby Harvestar » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:32 pm

Welcome Venetia! I'm also a fan of Pat of Silver Bush as well as Emily of New Moon. And my friends and I also had an "Anne Fest" where we dressed up, made cream puffs, and watched the mini-series. :) I also like her short stories and other novels. The Blue Castle is my favorite, but I like them all. :)

HS, ah, yes, the pulls of fall and spring do seem to be strong around here. :) Alas, fall is far off for me. It's been ~100 degrees until Friday when hurricane Javier moved in. I was up on the mountain top with Girl Scout Leaders for our Astronomy Camp and we had a LOT of rain, wind, fog, lightning, and cold. It also flooded areas of the valley. :( Though I will say that today has been nice. May be down in the 80's - quite cool even. ;)

Oh, and here's the link to pictures from the hike and sunset I described above:
[url]http://thorn.as.arizona.edu/~kak/Pictures/Hiking/RamseyCanyon/index.html[/url
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:39 pm

Wow! There's people in here! It's come back to life-like a smell of Spring air on an Autumn breeze.
Okeday. Enough of my silly attempts at "Anne-isms". Good to see everyone again!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby venetia » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:53 pm

Thank you Hero's Song _ that is one of my fav Shakespeare movies too -(all time favourite is "Twelfth Night " with Toby Stephens.)

And thank you Harvestar - I loved The Blue Castle too, that was the last book i tracked down so I was looking forward to reading it very much!

Your actual age : A woman who would tell you that would tell you anything.

How old do you feel? ie. How old's your spirit? About 22

Where do you live? Melbourne, Australia

Describe the beauty spots around your house- Well I live in the suburbs, but it's early spring here, I have a vase of the most beautiful fragrant jasmine on my desk, the sun is shining, everything is in bloom around here.

Anne had six children - If you have some, please tell us a little about them. - I was one of 6 children, but no children of my own - 12 nieces and nephews though.

Age when you started reading Anne of Green Gables Around 14.

How many of L.M. Montgomery books have you read? . I think I have read them all. I would like to find her biography.

What is it about L.M. Montgomery's writing that appeals to you? Her love of nature, her descriptions of how beautiful surroundings can make you feel, her humour, the warmth and strength of the bonds between friends, family and lovers, her positive wry outlook.

Describe an "Anne" moment you've had.
None that I can think of specifically, but the older I get the more i love rainforests, rivers, waterfalls, blossom, the smell of roses.

regards
------
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hero's Song » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:54 pm

I thought it was about time I resurrected this guild. I know it's the "dead" of winter, friends, but there is beauty out there.

The sunrises and sunsets have just been gorgeous here lately. Thursday morning I got to see the sunrise - a huge golden ball rising in ever-blueing skies with three deep purple short jet streams all in a row looking like a giant cat had scratched the sky. That evening on my way home from work, I was treated to the sunset - all shades of purple and pink behind the hills and treetops.

The nights have been gorgeous with a crescent moon and hundreds of twinkling stars in the crisp, windless air. I went to a live nativity last night. The stable was very picturesque with straw everywhere, a shaggy donkey and cow, goats and the cutest children all dressed up as the Holy family. The century-old Catholic church was in the middle of the country and the sidewalks on the block leading to it were lit with luminaries. Live music was in the air, mixing with the braying of the donkey and the lowing of the cow. It was truly magical.

I suppose by now you've all seen the ROTK EE. I was SO glad the put the bit in where Sam looks up at the sky in Mordor and sees a lone star twinkling above the wrack and ruin and "the beauty of it smote his heart" and he realized that there was lasting beauty beyond the reach of the evils in the world. I've begun to think of this as Sam's "Anne moment" - that queer ache or thrill that LMM described so wonderfully when a character was humbled by God's artistic splendor. I had one when I saw that sunrise and again last night at the stable.

Merry Christmas to all my kindred spirits!
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:47 am

Winter is pretty, but I can't see past the COLD most days. I don't like being cold.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:17 pm

I've always been partial to the beauty of the sky. I love the wind and the clouds, especially when they're full of light and color. Unfortunately, by the time I get out of work it's already dark. :( A sky full of stars can be a magnificent sight, but it's much too cold to be outside for long! :)

I'm finding most of my "Anne moments" while watching my 20 month old daughter. Just today while I was at lunch she was calling "Daddy! Love you!" to my husband with a huge smile on her face. She's just so incredibly beautiful. :D
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth