Guild for Pennsylvanians...and nearby folk too

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm hosting a night of poetry and music on South St, Philadelphia, August 6, 2009.

See Flier for details.

Some of you folks, like Rinon, Amrunelen, Mithluin, elfshadow that I have met before, let me know if you are interested. Anyone else is certainly welcome, but space fills up quickly.

It's been a while since I've seen you all. It would be great to see you again, and it should be a fun night.

BrianIs :) AtYou
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:23 am

I would love to, but I just can't make it. I'll be there in spirit, however!

The Clearfield County Fair is this week. Alice Cooper is the headliner Tuesday night, Kelly Clarkson is coming (I forget which night). I'm going to neither. I'm covering the parade and...the...*sigh*... Zooperstars! on Tuesday.

:roll:

Who came up with this as a concept anyhow?

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for responding Iris.

I pass through that area now and then on I-80 as my company has offices in western PA, and I live in Philadelphia.

Have fun at the county fair!

BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Postby Rinon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:04 am

Ahh! What I get for coming here as sporadically as I do. I'm sorry I didn't see this, because I would have gone to the poetry show. I was just on South St on friday, with a friend who decided on a whim that he wanted to get his tongue pierced. I squirmed a lot while watching, but it apparently didn't hurt.

How is everyone? Enjoying the summer? I am, for the most part, minus the rain and an awful job situation. It's been nice being home though. Minnesota just really doesn't hold a candle to PA.
Rinon
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:33 am

It was a nice summer until it got hot and humid. :) It was actually quite plesant.

Guess it had to end at some point.

But now...school is starting? What the heck? What happened to vacation time? I must be getting old...summer used to last forever!

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Rinon wrote:Ahh! What I get for coming here as sporadically as I do. I'm sorry I didn't see this, because I would have gone to the poetry show. I was just on South St on friday, with a friend who decided on a whim that he wanted to get his tongue pierced. I squirmed a lot while watching, but it apparently didn't hurt.

How is everyone? Enjoying the summer? I am, for the most part, minus the rain and an awful job situation. It's been nice being home though. Minnesota just really doesn't hold a candle to PA.

If you get the chance, head out to the open mic at Seven Stones in Media PA, last Saturday of the month. My friend Mike runs it, and it is usually a lot of fun. I hope to make it, but with the situation with my sister being what it is (I think you saw on B77 or HoF), I am not sure if I will be around. Also, there will be another South St show Sept 3. Check out the blog etc noted on the flier above for more info. I don't have a new flier online yet. If you check the thread about the show on HoF in the Bag End forum, I think I have links to youtube videos from the last show.

BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Postby Rinon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:31 am

Iris wrote: I must be getting old...summer used to last forever

The summer went just as quickly for me, and I'm very much a spring chicken. O well, Fall weather is hardly the worst thing. At least here... I hate to bring up MN again, but it starts snowing there in October. Scary scary scary.

Brian, I'll definitely try to check out one of those. I've been spending a lot of time down that way in Delco lately. Sadly though, I probably can't look at the youtube video since I'm not a member at HoF.
Rinon
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:37 am

Hellooooooo.....

Rune has arisen form the internet grave and returns to post once more.

Nice to see some familiar faces. :) I'm back down philly-ways right now, of course. Last year of University. yay! :D

Hope you're all having a lovely, colorful fall. ;) The leaves are just really starting to change here. I love autumn. :love: Heading up to Manheim tomorrow for the next to last weekend of Faire and Sunday actually looks to be quite nice. :D First in a while, it feels like.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Hiya, Rune! :hug:

Even after the snow storm we still had some nice tree color, but it's starting to fade. :(

A local family had a 600 pound pumpkin they were planning to carve for their sick little boy, and some jerks came in the night and destroyed it.

I would love to go back to the Ren Faire! Have fun!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:08 am

*runs in and jumps on a big pile of leaves*

:D

Rune, how was the renfaire? If I'd had know you'd be so close I would have tried to meet up with you!!

MoME memories. . .

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby MithLuin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:13 am

So...how is everyone enjoying the snow? :D

MithLuin
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:43 am

:rofl:

I'm thinking I need a St. Bernard just to find my car! And we're supposed to get MORE!! :shock:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Mith, the snow is awesome! But look past the pictures for an important announcement on Tom Shippey speaking at Swarthmore College next week!

A statue of Mary in front of the church a block from me.

-----------------

Tom Shippey speaking on Tolkien Swarthmore College Feb 16

This is just a hop, skip and a jump for me. I bike over to Swarthmore fairly frequently (though not so much in winter).

Tolkien Book to Jackson Script: the Medium and the Message, A Talk by Professor Tom Shippey

Start Date: 2/16/2010 Start Time: 4:15 PM
End Date: 2/16/2010 End Time: 5:45 PM

------------------------

Rediscovering Middle-earth: the Roots of Tolkien’s Myths, A Talk by Professor Tom Shippey

Start Date: 2/16/2010 Start Time: 8:00 PM
End Date: 2/16/2010 End Time: 9:30 PM

------------

BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Snow snow , melt away..........

Postby jaspur » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:03 pm

I`m ready for the snow to start melting already , I`m ready to get some maple syrup in the works here.

Oh yeah , I`m from Pa also , about half an hour east of Greensburg , near a couple of lakes.
jaspur
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:17 am

Greensburg, eh? :D
Not far from Latrobe?

That's near my original neck of the woods. I'm in the Harrisburg/Hershey area now.

Snow melted yet? Ours is.
Thank goodness. :P

Rune! Where are you????

MoME memories. . .

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 am

Snow? What is that, preciouss? :D

FINALLY!!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Amrunelen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:48 am

I am here, I am here! :P

Can it be Pennsylvania has found spring at last? I wasn't happy to drive home for spring break in the rain last Friday, but all of the rain melted the snow at least. :clap: And I see sun....SUN!!!! :D

Welcome, jaspur to our dwindled yet still present fellowship of Pennsylvanians. ;)

Brian, how was the speaker?
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Amrunelen wrote:
Brian, how was the speaker?

Professor Shippey was a brilliant and engaging speaker. There is a thread in the events forum with some pictures of the event, and links to info on the talks. The thread also includes pictures of Tom Shippey and myself and Mithluin, who came all the way up from Baltimore for the second lecture.

I got to speak to Professor Shippey extensively, as the seat I took at the first lecture was next to his coat (unbeknownst to me), but that gave me the opportunity to follow up some questions I had had after the lecture.

He mentioned the possibility of writing an academic paper on a topic that I had brought up in the question and answer session, which I thought was about as good a result as one could hope for in such a circumstance.

-----------------------------

On a different subject, I am doing a poetry reading at a local venue next week, Tuesday March 23 at 7PM, but the space is limited so they are discouraging too much advertisement.

However, if you or any other local (Philadelphia area) folks are interested, I have a thread on B77 in the Members' Lounge, and on HoF in Bag End, where I provide more details on the location and directions and so forth. (I chose those places because they are hidden from search engines, unlike the forums here. That is not my choice, but --as I said--the host is afraid of there not being enough space. They are expecting from 30-50 people, so there is some wiggle room, but not a whole lot.)

BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:36 pm

Alas.

Philly is so close, and yet so far.

:P

MoME memories. . .

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 am

Don't I know it. :) Got family down in Paoli.

anything else interesting happening? I saw on TV today that Stomp! is coming to Penn State at the end of the month. I'd like to go, but I don't think I have the funds right now. I never do! :rofl:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Well.. I'll be going to see George Benson in Shippensburg next month. There's some excitement for my life.

:D:D:D:D

MoME memories. . .

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Hmmm....you know what we all should do? Meet at Shanachie Irish Pub in Ambler for a drink or a pint or two. ;) :P

Quite a nice place though....and wonderful live music on Tuesday nights. Mmmmm Pubs. The pubbiest one I've ever been to on this side of the pond. :D And conveniently only 15 to 20 minutes away from me. :P YAY PA!

Pub here
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby BrianIsSmilingAtYou » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 am

Amrunelen wrote:Hmmm....you know what we all should do? Meet at Shanachie Irish Pub in Ambler for a drink or a pint or two. ;) :P

Quite a nice place though....and wonderful live music on Tuesday nights. Mmmmm Pubs. The pubbiest one I've ever been to on this side of the pond. :D And conveniently only 15 to 20 minutes away from me. :P YAY PA!

Pub here

I've never been there, though I have friends in nearby Abington.

We should see if we can get some folks together; sounds like it would be fun.

I just met up with Impenitent yesterday at the Bourse in downtown Philly; she's in the States from Australia for a bit and doing a multi-city tour--Philadelphia was the follow-up to her NYC stop and next is Washington.

BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:57 pm

I saw her in Washington ;)

I'm up for a road trip to Philly! It's not far for me, so if it's a weekend or Fri. night, I can make it. If you wait until after mid-June, I can even make a weekday night.

So....any dates?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Amrunelen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Hmmm, I guess not. Bit late now! And I'm back home, since May, in Central PA. Now a graduate! :D Passing time until I take a lengthy trip to the Netherlands this winter.

Warm almost-autumn wishes from Northumberland Country!
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

We're turning colors like crazy around here. :shock: Yet, it's in the 70s and 80s :roll:

I'm afraid I haven't done anything terribly exciting recently...made a trip to Lancaster about a week and a half ago. Funny...it doesn't matter how many times I see a buggy go by, I still go, "Oh, look! A buggy!" :rofl: Or, "HORSE!" :bang: Like I don't have two of my own.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Amrunelen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Always makes me smile a bit when I see them around here. :) Whole families riding around wearing their solid colors and black, straw hats. As long as they're not hard to be seen around a sudden turn....can make for some dangerous backroad driving. :shock:

I feel for the horses pulling those buggies up the mountain out of town, trotting along on the asphalt. Some rather fun hills here to cart their people over.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Blind Guardian in Philly on November 19th (Friday)

Anyone interested?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:19 am

Would be interesting but sadly my pockets are rather tight these days! Too bad I'm not down at school anymore or I could at least pop by and visit if you did decide to go.

I used to have a bit of music by them at some point....perhaps an album called Nightfall in Middle-Earth? I'll have to take another listen through those links you left in the other thread because I don't think I liked their sound much back then, despite being a big metal fan, but tastes do change. ;)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Haha, well, I like them a lot despite not being a metal fan at all, so maybe they're not for everyone ;). But if you only try one of the songs I linked, listen to 'Sacred Worlds.' It's one of their newest ones, and it's awesome. :) (long version, video game concert version)

I did go, and the concert was awesome! I had to work that day, so I missed the opening acts, but I was only there for BG anyway, so not a problem. I like Nightfall in Middle Earth (for the most part), and it is fun to hear someone on stage say 'This next song is about the Noldor....' or 'This song is about Fingolfin. He decided to tangle with a guy named Morgoth, and, well, that's not a very wise thing to do....'

You get the impression that they have this idea that they are contributing to the web of story...pretty neat.

But anyway, the Troc is a nice venue, and I felt like I was pretty close to everything without being in danger of having a crowd surfer dropped on my head. I did feel like my ears were bleeding towards the end, though! ;)
MithLuin
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth