The Even Greater Aussie Guild - Celebrating 10 YEARS!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby JudyA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:58 am

My brother will be one happy camper, he's a dyed in the wool Manly supporter ;)

I did find White Rabbit at Dan Murphy's, but I saw it was dark ale and it may be something that Mr JudyA shouldn't have. So I will make a few more inquiries before I purchase. On tihs occasion I bought Four Pines pale ale (Made, oddly enough, in Manly - prophetic ;) )
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah the name is a bit confusing. The White Rabbit White is in a orange label wheras the White Rabbit Dark is in a green label.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:17 am

Ah, right. White Rabbit White wasn't an option on the day I looked. Only had the dark ale. So will keep an eye out for the other on a future occasion...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 am

I see White Rabbit is still on tap :)
Judy, I see the dark ale more often than the white, but my local bottle-o has both. Hopefully you'll turn it up eventually!

So there's been a bit of excitement around uni the past couple of days with Brian Schmidt (Australian astrophysicist from ANU) being announced as one of the winners of the Nobel prize in physics. Several of my professors know him personally, and the astrophysics department's major area of research directly follows on from his discovery. Many are hoping it will attract funding for everyone!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 pm

If you're referring to the Archive Bistro, then yes it is. It and the Dark are pretty much always on tap there except when they have something special going on. These days the specials are usually held in their extension taps called Archive Next Door Cellars, and so you will find the Rabbits, Burleigh Hef, Blackbeard's Delight, Alpha Pale, Little Creatures, etc. at the main bar.

Well, off to do some work around the place. :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:
So there's been a bit of excitement around uni the past couple of days with Brian Schmidt (Australian astrophysicist from ANU) being announced as one of the winners of the Nobel prize in physics. Several of my professors know him personally, and the astrophysics department's major area of research directly follows on from his discovery. Many are hoping it will attract funding for everyone!

I knew you were doing physics and quantum mechanics - are you actually doing astrophysics?? What does someone studying that, you know, do fora job when they graduate?
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:07 am

I did an astro course last year, but not currently studying it, though I may be doing a summer research project in the area (working with some of the data the aforementioned professors have gathered). At this stage I don't know if it's the area I want as a career.

Opportunities outside of academia are pretty much the same as anyone with a physics degree would have - same generic skills and all that. Research in physics isn't limited by things to study so much as funding, but the field seems pretty healthy at the moment (not sure about NASA - but that's more an America problem than a problem with the field!)
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:37 am

Well, it's full of fascinating possibilities. And I am, as ever, totally impressed by your brain ;)

btw I reeeely can't believe that the Wallabies beat South Africa this arvo. Which means that (barring the biggest upset of all time) we'll be meeting the All Blacks next week. So, you know, I guess we should make the most of the moment :roll:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 am

We shall have to pay the NZ Guild a visit methinks. They're very quiet over there as it is :D

If you're impressed by my brain, that makes one of us at the moment. It's letting me down on this Mechanics assignment!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I know what you mean - I'm not very impressed with my brain either when I've got to write a story and have a very finite amount of time and it just isn't coming together... it's just that what others can do that we can't always looks more impressive ;)

The fact that the NZ Guild is so quiet speaks volumes. Either they're so confident that they don't need to bolster each other or, more likely, they're all at the footy... :roll:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 am

Well I guess the Kiwis had the last laugh in the end!

I know what you mean about others doing things we can't - I'm surrounded by them everyday :P
On that note, I'm going to be scarcer than usual for the next week or two. Lab reports and programming assignments all over the shop!
Going to have to lay in a few beers to help get me through ;)
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:31 am

Sounds like a barrel of laughs - not :roll:

Hope it goes faster than you expect (and not due to the beers!) :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:05 am

It's sure been a long haul. Last day of classes was yesterday. One more assignment to do and I can start studying for exams.
If I'm really good I get to have some beers tomorrow :)

In Aussie news - good thing I didn't book flights home for Christmas with Qantas :roll:
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Where is home?

And don't get me started - I'm a frequent flyer with Qantas and I've been saving points for EVER so I could get us and the kids to and from Adelaide for Christmas. So now the frequent flyer points are spent on flights that may or may not happen :hair:

Mr JudyA said well, we hadn't lost any money, but we still want to have our holiday and see friends and rellies - and if the dispute isn't resolved, we're looking at $1200 or more going west :roll:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Looks like it might be going to be okay now? I haven't been following any updates in the last couple of days though.
Yeah that's a lot of money to be throwing around just to have it lost cos of something like this. I've done a lot of flying this year - but only once with Qantas as it happens. Sadly I always thought of them as the most reliable of the options though.

Home is Central Queensland - not somewhere I would visit as a rule if it weren't for family and old school friends :P

Edit:
Oh and I managed to have a lovely afternoon at Archive in West End last Sunday. Many beers were tasted. I really must try the laid back social outing more once exams are over - if my students' wallet can stand up to it :D
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 am

How many exams to go? Or haven't they started yet?

And yes, it looks like the Qantas thing is sorted out... fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong in their negotiations to reach a settlement or it could all go pear-shaped about the time we plan to get on the plane :roll:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:27 pm

I quit flying Qantas a few years ago when they wouldn't serve me anything to drink on an overseas flight because the toilets in the middle of the plane backed up. Been more than happy with Virgin & Air NZ. Sure Qantas may have been great once, but of late they have gone down the toilet, and this didn't help none.

Sundays at the Archive are always nice! Thinking of heading there tomorrow for a lunch and a brew. Or I may go to Bitter Suite... don't know yet.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Arassuil wrote:I quit flying Qantas a few years ago when they wouldn't serve me anything to drink on an overseas flight because the toilets in the middle of the plane backed up.

Gee, that's pretty sad. I have to say I haven't had any particularly bad experiences on Qantas yet. Although I tried Jetstar once and thought NEVER AGAIN...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 am

I have never had a problem with Qantas or Jetstar. Even Tiger, though I made a point of never having check-in baggage for those flights. Don't think I'd ever want to risk flying international with them.
The best airline I've been on was JAL though. They serve Yuzu juice :)

Well I had four exams and I did the first one this morning. Completely bombed out on it because I didn't study all week. I just... couldn't? My brain must have had enough. It's been a long year.
Well I've hopefully shocked it into making sure the other exams go well. Pity the lesson had to be learned so hard.

Definitely hanging out for my next trip to Archive - soon as exams are over. Also pretty keen on checking out the Bavarian Beer Cafe this summer!

Oh and my annual re-read of LotR!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Mmmm... I haven't done the annual read of LotR yet either. Possibly won't get around to it this time, I dunno.

Sorry to hear about the exam - happens to us all from time to time. Hope you blitz the others...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 am

Well, I have one exam to go, finally. The last two went much better than the first (thankfully).

I have nothing particularly Aussie or LotR-y to add though :P
Hope all are well!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Done that exam now, Eowyn? Hope it's all over and you can relax.

My niece has just finished her HSC as well, so it's celebrations all around :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Just got back from the last one :D
The relaxing shall commence... well at least til I have to go shopping for my cousin's wedding.
Now I wait to see if I passed that first exam as to whether I have to do a supplementary one.

Yes apparently today marks eight years since I graduated from high school (not to reveal my age or anything :P)
HSC seems tough, so congrats to your niece Judy!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 am

She's worked really hard and I'm confident she's done well. Such a together and mature girl - very refreshing amid all the stupidity of schoolies that I'm seeing on the telly...

Happy wedding shopping - or not. The shops are starting to get that manic edge to them that I hate around this time of year. :roll:

... and congrats for finishing up. Am sure you'll pass :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Congrats on the academic achievements everyone! :)

I need to do something on getting the paper for my certs. Employers always want to see them, and as Frodo told Bilbo .. I'm afraid I lost them. That's what too many manic moves does to you.

Brisbane is getting some more cool beer bars now! The Scratch opened right next to the XXXX brewery, and on a laneway off Constance Street in Fortitude Valley, there is the Kerbside Bar!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:11 am

Hi all,

Well it's one week down in my research project. Learning two new programming languages by the seat of my pants. And simultaneously trying to study for an extra exam for the course I failed.
Yeah, I failed. The happiness that my instincts were true is far outweighed by the damage to my GPA and the inconvenience of having to study for the same course when I'd rather be catching up on my reading/tv/cleaning/getting sunlight/etc.

Judy - how long til your niece finds out how she did? I never did the schoolies thing myself. In fact I can't remember what I did during that week!

Arassuil - Cool beer bars seem to be becoming trendy. You'll have to scout them out for me to see if they're any good :D
I hear you about moving - each one I seem to lose something!

Wedding went off well - I ended up being the only extended family member who could make it so I think all the money and effort was worth it. Next task is Christmas shopping though. Hopefully it's not too late to get some of it done online!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:Arassuil - Cool beer bars seem to be becoming trendy. You'll have to scout them out for me to see if they're any good :D

Manya, maybe it's trendy, or we're just trying to catch up with so many other parts of the world. so far, I highly recommend The Scratch on one of your outings. It's a very interesting place. A bit different than the Archive, but in a good way. This review seems to echo what I think about it. Since they're totally independent, they don't get any subsidy from one of the mega brewers, so the draught beer is a bit more, but in my opinion, well worth it. I enjoyed their cheese plate with my brew.

Also, The Bitter Suite is worth a visit. A quieter, more mellow place with both good food & beer. Their plate of wedges are to die for! Yum! Tempted to head there right now!

Of course, you will have to go AFTER you pass your course!

And condolences to the family of Jason Richards, Kiwi V8 Supercar driver who lost his battle with cancer. The motorsports world have suffered a lot of death this year.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:28 am

maybe it's trendy, or we're just trying to catch up with so many other parts of the world.

Ah, sadly you're probably right there...
I know I said it not long ago, but before uni kicks off again I *have* to get to some of those places.
I even noticed that new coffee place in an alley off Albert St in the city, Brew, has some local beers going. It's nice to see!

I passed my supplementary exam with flying colours if anyone was wondering (bit of a waste but at least I know I can do it now - lessons shall be learned from this!)

Oh and Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings, and Happy New Year.
Although at the moment there are only three of us here, it's great to see the place kind of still alive. In a month or so it'll have been ten years since I joined!!

Manya
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 am

Hey Eowyn, glad you passed your supp. :)

My niece did brilliantly in her individual exams, but was scaled down for her ATAR which she was really disappointed about. She gains extra points for choosing her local university, and we're hoping the score will be high enough for her to get into the course she wants to do. Fingers crossed...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:57 am

Happy New Year! :)

Its good to see young folk passing their courses and getting on into what they wish to pursue. Hope it all works out for your niece Judy!

Been listening to 4ZzZ's Hot 100, & a proper song took the #1 honours...
Gotye ` Somebody I Used To Know.

May triple J's 100 list be so accurate! I like that song! It hits home on a couple occasions in my life going all the way back to school days! ... The girl that broke my heart in year 11, and a little side step that lasted a mere 10 months in 2002-03. A good song this!

And yes, Manya, these small bars are popping up all over the city. There is another one off Albert Street called 'Super Whatnot' on the Burnett Street Laneway. Cool vibe this place! The Yardbird in Fortitude Valley is pretty nice too!

Happy New Year ! :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth