The Even Greater Aussie Guild - Celebrating 10 YEARS!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby cherbarina » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:40 am

Yeah...I'm already back at Uni. I am itching for time to read. I have just received all of John Green's books from Amazon, and I really really want to read them!! I might dig out my Lord of the Rings and give it a go, while trying to fall asleep maybe :) How went your book writing? Anything I can have a squiz at? *smiley face*
cherbarina
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:01 am

Good Lord!!!! Aussie guild has been resurrected!!! :Q

Hail and met met, all :hihi:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 am

Hails JudyA :D

I don't think we met back in the Aussie Guild hey day, yet you have been a member longer than me!
Thanks for helping it not to sink into oblivion :wink:

(Hands over free tshirt)

What do you get up to when you're not sustaining the life of old TORC threads?

Cherbarina wrote:How went your book writing? Anything I can have a squiz at? *smiley face*

Surely you jest Cher, it's uni time! I have no life beyond calculus and quantum mechanics!
As it stands I have 3000 words give or take. I didn't let the plot mature enough before I started though so I keep thinking of things to add. If I can clear the uni schedule a bit I might be able to fix up the flow a bit.
A first draft is a long way off, let alone a version that will be ready for beta readers, so don't be holding your breath now.
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 am

*puts T-shirt on... nice colours*

Eowyn, I'm a bit of a Luddite, it took me more than two years before I discovered the messageboards existed. (sad but true!!!)

What I get up to is writing and editing, doing stuff at church (lead singing, co-ordinate meals/whatever for people who are sick or need help) and doing even more stuff at home (have two school-age kids). Another 10 hours in the day would be a big help! :D

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:I have no life beyond calculus and quantum mechanics!

That was the most amazingly nerdy thing to say... :P ;) and can I say that if you're at uni doing calculus and quantum mechanics, you must be fearsomely smart :shock: *is impressed by Eowyn's braininess*

Where are you studying?
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:28 am

I admire anyone who can raise kids and still accomplish things outside the house :D Cherbarina, a couple of posts up, is similar in that respect. I assume I'll find myself in that situation one day, but it's a little way off.

My degree truly does eat my life, but if I was better at time management I could probably fix that!
I'm either smart, or very very stupid... At least one thing comes up each day to make me feel dumb, but I enjoy creating problems for myself and surmounting them.
Perhaps I'm just crazy :P

JudyA wrote:That was the most amazingly nerdy thing to say...

Haha, that's saying something considering we're on a Tolkien forum!

Anyway, stick around. If a few more people wander back in we might be able to make the guild as it once was...
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:27 am

Gah! So much for the Bledsoe Cup. The All-Blacks stomped the Wallabies!

And yay for nerdiness and smart folk!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:09 am

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:I'm either smart, or very very stupid... At least one thing comes up each day to make me feel dumb, but I enjoy creating problems for myself and surmounting them.
Perhaps I'm just crazy :P

Naaah, you just like figuring stuff out. That's a good thing :)

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:
JudyA wrote:That was the most amazingly nerdy thing to say...

Haha, that's saying something considering we're on a Tolkien forum!

Well, now that you mention it, the other day my brother sent me a link to the photo of all the hobbits together for the film. He thought I'd probably seen it - I said I had, and told him about Peter Jackson's video of what was happening in the first few weeks of filming. I sent him a link. He responded that I was a nerd. :D So the cap certainly fits...

Arassuil: Oh don't get me started on the Bledisloe... or the Swans losing by a point to Essendon last nighrt - aaaaarrrrggh! :hair:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I tried teaching some physics kids how to speak Quenya a while ago. We nearly created a black hole of nerdiness :D

Hi Arassuil! I did reply to your original question when I first came back but it's now on the second last page!
I'm a bit out of sport at the moment (refer to comment about physics eating my life).

But :hihi: Essendon supporter here! My mum's been following them for nearly 50 years and she keeps me informed.

Funnily enough I think the first couple of pages of the original thread of this Guild were taken up with talk about sports, hehe.
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:I tried teaching some physics kids how to speak Quenya a while ago. We nearly created a black hole of nerdiness :D

:roflmbo: Almost spat out my drink onto the keyboard when I read that :lol:

Eowyns_elvish_sidekick wrote:Essendon supporter here! My mum's been following them for nearly 50 years and she keeps me informed.

I figured at least one of you here would be an Essendon supporter... at least someone on this thread was happy about it :P
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:30 am

Well.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the Wallabies surprise us with a win over the Springboks in South Africa! :clap:

Yeah Miss Manya, I did see your reply awhile back, but never had time to get a reply in. I think Campbell will go far in politics if he keeps it straight. As for his tunnel and I, well, I rarely use it any more. I didn't get my ticket dismissed, they saying I sped up before the next speed limit sign after the 'incident'. So I got an instalment-pay plan from them, and I have saved more than enough in tolls to pay the fine. Still, they can wait until December to get their last.

In other news, they laid charges against a man for the disappearance of Daniel Morcombe in 2003. They are searching the Glasshouse mountain area for his body. Hope this trial doesn't become a media circus.

I can feel the gravity pull of Quenya-speaking physics students......
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:42 am

I'd be amazed if it didn't become a circus. These days it's almost par for the course, sadly - and the public's right to know overrides any sense of decency or privacy for anyone (except, of course, the journos themselves...)

Aaaaaaand - another weekend, another bloody awful Swans loss. :roll:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:24 am

Ack, yes... if either of you have Facebook accounts you might have seen some of the groups calling for the guy they arrested to be named. Some of the stuff written on pages like that makes me lose faith in humanity...
That being said it's good news that they had a development in the case, it was a long time coming.

Judy - I'm very sorry for you team's continued bad luck :) Once again I'm not really up with the news. If you want to know about special relativity, that was my weekend.
Actually, I don't think I'd be much good at explaining it...

Arassuil - That all sounds very annoying. I don't have a car so I don't use the tunnel much. Took the bus to Chermside once and it was pleasantly fast. Til we hit Lutwyche Rd and got stuck in traffic for an hour...

Maybe after the folks at CERN find their Higgs boson they can look for the nerdiness field that permeates space :D

Namarië :P
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:00 am

Ah well, our next game is tomorrow and if we don't win a finals berth is looking pretty shaky.

On a more cheerful note, Poppet (my older daughter) and her netball team played like champions today and resoundingly beat a team they had never beaten before - and they're in the grand final next Saturday :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby cherbarina » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 am

:angry: I wish I didn't have to work.......so many stupid people!! So tempted to ask for a store transfer. I know that there will be stupid people there too...but it might take another 3 years to affect me like it has here, and I'll be right to start a day job by then.
If only I could work from home....I can continue to dream :)
So how has everyone else been doing? I'm angry, frustrated, exhausted, stressed...(can't think of any more describing words, my brain is fried)
Cher. xx
cherbarina
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Mmmm... Swans playing Geelong today.... what are the odds... *sighs*
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:25 am

... and I thought spring was coming as I saw my first Jacaranda flowers already. But just when it was starting to warm a bit here in Brisbane, a cold front brought wind and rain Friday arvo, and it's been downright chilly at night. Back to July and August temps!

Started a new job at the same company I work for. Not sure if I will like it though as its a job I've been doing anyway. Haven't negotiated the pay increase yet, and if there isn't one, then I'll be seeing about other opportunities.

Footy finals are here! The NRL West's Tigers managed to take it from the Dragons, and the Broncos beat the Warriors!

And the Wallabies managed to take round 1 of Tri-Nations!
Good stuff!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:38 am

Dude, jacarandas already?!?! Wow! But things happen earlier in Brizzy ;) Down here we won't see them until next month at least...

... and the Swans won yesterday... WOOOT!
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 am

Brisbane is jacaranda capital right?
That was some lovely return to cool weather. Except for the wind on Saturday. It managed to find every gap in the walls of my house.
Apparently we're back to 27 deg or so on Friday so you'll be pleased Arassuil.
I on the other hand will probably need to go clothes shopping :|

On the sport front I can finally comment - great work by Sam Stosur winning the US Open!

Look at us all talking about the weather and sport. Next it'll be beer!
*takes swig from bottle nearby*
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:55 am

Well, I've given up my Little creatures Pale Ales for som Sierra Nevada Pale Ales for a couple weeks. Nice change, but the cost is a bit steep. Will be cack to the Little Creatures again next week :)

And the Jacaranda tree in the Days Road-Kedron Brook Road roundabout has one branch that thinks it's spring and is in full bloom. The rest of the tree is still dormant. Of course, those Jacarandas seem to go from nothing to flowering in hours!

Our local girl Sam! What a final! Way to go!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:44 am

I didn't honestly think that Stosur had a chance, but it made it all the nicer to have her beat Serena Williams, who must honestly be one of the most unsporting people I have ever seen. :roll:

I always thought that Grafton was the home of the jacaranda? But that could just be hearsay from my childhood...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:49 am

Yeah, Grafton has streets lined with Jacarandas, and even have a Jacaranda Festival. It's really beautiful on a clear sunny morning when the trees are in the prime of bloom. Very vivid! There is quite a few around Brisbane too. With the warmer days, more will likely be blooming now.

Gah! My typing in my last post was horrid! Must have been the beers. :P
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:23 am

Phew - my memory hasn't completely deserted me. My best friend's dad is from Grafton and when we were in primary school he came in one day and taught us all the Jacaranda Dance. Basically an old-fashioned bush dance :)
There are a lot of jacarandas in some of the streets of Redfern as well, oddly enough...

On the sport front, :shock: for the world cup rugby loss to Ireland. I was in the supermarket this morning and a woman next to me in the veggie section was wearing an Irish rugby jersey. I remarked that she was pretty brave to do that on the day Ireland were playing Australia - she said she figured she was safe enough before the game was actually on (!) and he was wearing it for her grandad. And I said to her that you never knew what could happen - losses by us in games like that had happened before. Oops :roll:

But :thumbsup: for Australia in the Davis Cup. Could beat Switzerland even with Federer in the team...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 am

Hmm, Grafton sounds familiar now that you mention it. I've never been there though (I think). Brisbane seems to have less Jacarandas now than I remember from visiting as a kid.

Once again, can't really comment on the sport, though I some tennis news did trickle through to me I think.
How was that haze over the weekend though? Sounded like it was in a lot of places from here in Brisbane and further up north. I'm really not ready for summer I think...

Little Creatures is a good beer. I myself was drinking White Rabbit White Ale at the time. Cannot afford such luxuries for a few weeks though as the lab I'm teaching isn't running for a few sessions :)
Still haven't kicked the Oreo habit though ($1 a packet? :shock: )
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:36 am

MMmm... White Rabbit! I like the Dark & my wife likes the White on tap. We visit the Archive Bar in West End every now and then just so we can have one!

A new good beer bar opened last week here in Brisbane in New Farm called Bitter Suite! Good local craft brew and some yummy wedges!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Sounds good. WIll get some for Mr JudyA if it makes it down to Sydney.

Meanwhile, my brother is a happy camper as Manly beat the Broncos last night (sorry if you're a Brisbane fan, Arassuil). And we saved ourselves from disgrace in the rugby world cup. For the moment ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Judy, I first tasted it in Melbourne, so if you go to the right bottle shop you might have it there already!

Archive has White Rabbit on tap? That's awesome.
*sigh* I miss having a social life. Can't wait til end of exams.
That new place looks nice. I've never really hung out in New Farm (except this last Saturday when I went to New Farm Park). Looks like there are a lot of restaurants I'd like to try out.

There was a house fire in my street last night. Not a bad one judging by the amount of time the smoke was wafting around. Nothing like that time when I was a kid on the Darling Downs and the house next door burnt down...
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:45 am

Really? Thanks for the tip. We will make inquiries...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 am

:D
I hope you find some (try Dan Murphy's - they often have obscure stuff!)

I came back on here so soon to share this with you all:
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/902-Benjamin_Harff_Interview_Edel_Silmarillion.php

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on these boards but since I'm not around much I couldn't know for sure.

It's quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, and I know I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for a copy...
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby scotspine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:34 pm

I am Scotspine..one of the last ENTS

I am searching for ENTWIFELOST

Have you seen her?
scotspine
Shield Bearer

Postby Arassuil » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 am

No. Now getting past the spam...

How about those Sea Eagles? Beat the Warriors in a decent game! Geelong beat Collingwood but I didn't see it.

And spring is well and truly in progress!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth