The Even Greater Aussie Guild - Celebrating 10 YEARS!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby notlistening » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:34 pm

MO, there is a convention in Brisbane. Tinewen knows about it and has posted something in Events so go have a look-see.

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Midgardsormen » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:40 am

Went and had a look but I cannot get to the site........just time-outs on me, so I still do not know when or where (besides Brisbane!!)

Pretty annoying........how come I am so slow to find out about these things in my own back yard????
Midgardsormen
Shield Bearer

Postby lotrgrrrl » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:08 am

I'm definitely up for a LotR Exhibition Moot! January suits me better, though. I'll probably be pretty busy with work in December, and more likely to get time off after the busy Christmas period & then busy post-Christmas sales!

Yep - I''l be at the November BOBW convention (Saturday convention, Thursday Workshop, Cocktail Party, Banquet & Wrap-up Party). Don't know what sort of status tickets are, though I'll hazard the guess that there's some around. Would love to see any other TORCers there!

Ta for the Events tip-off nl. Put the updates in at the Aussie Events site too... just in case a lonesome figure wandered in there.

Sean Astin!!! In Australia!!!! But... all the way up in Brisbane? *wobbly bottom lip* waaaaaaaah! I l :cry: ve Sean! And have ever since The Goonies. (I recently spent all of 'Fifty first dates' going "eeee! It's Sean-y!"). We wantssses to goooo!
*pouts*
lotrgrrrl
Rider of the Mark

Postby notlistening » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:25 pm

MO, I put the address details over in events for the Brisbane thingy.

lotrgrrl, an exhibition moot sounds grand. If you need accomodation, I have a cosy hobbit sized fold out couch that you're quite welcome to use.
Maybe Sam will come too and we can finally meet Midgardsormen if he's keen to come along.

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Midgardsormen » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:03 am

LOL notlistening............MO is actually female :wink:

Have you got your tickets for the 'Brisbane thingy' or are you getting your ticket at the gate??
I will probably be heading over midday Saturday, but if it is really good, I might go both days........(leaving 6am Monday morning so I cannot stay there the whole weekend!)

I am also going to the BOBW November gettogether.......just the Saturday and the banquet........would love to catch up Lotrgrrrl !

Have to go for now, but it would be really fun to meet some of the people from here seeing we missed each other at the Sydney Opera House.

Cheers............MO
Midgardsormen
Shield Bearer

Postby notlistening » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:01 pm

oops, sorry MO. For some odd reason I thought you were a guy. The men in your name perhaps.

I can't make the Brisbane thing as I will be in Melbourne that weekend. Shame but it was booked a while back before I knew of the convention.
Hope you have a great time!!

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby samaranth » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:34 am

Maybe Sam will come too...

I can't make Brisbane, :( and I can't make BoBW (unless a miracle happens) :cry: but I'll be at the exhibition, with bells on. :D The reports from those who have already seen it elsewhere are very good - and it will definitely be time for another Moot by then!

(I'm still waiting for GU or Hoyts to do the Complete Three Movie Marathon - no luck on that yet, either.)
samaranth
Rider of the Mark

Postby Midgardsormen » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:03 am

Well, I got my plane ticket for Canberra so BOBW is definitely on!

I won't be going to the Exhibition............after Toronto I went on to visit friends in London.........and they had organised for us to see the Exhibition there!!

It is fabulous and absolutely worth seeing!

If anyone else is thinking of BOBW then I can highly recommend it...very relaxed and lots of fun. Since I started attending they have run about 2 LOTR Conventions a year. I don't go so much for the 'stars' but because you meet lots of other interesting people and the party is always good fun.

Last time I did not know anyone and still had a ball!

Take care all of you, and I will write a report about the SF Convention next weekend...........both the good, the bad........and hopefully nothing ugly :shock:

MO
Midgardsormen
Shield Bearer

Postby lotrgrrrl » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:35 am

Ta-muchly for the accommodation offer, nl :) Cosy and hobbit sized? Sounds fantastic :D I probably won't need it this time though - am hoping that my friend in Sydney is both around and not so busy that I can visit her for a week. But thankyou very much anyway :)

MO - will definitely see you there! Am not sure if John Howe is still coming :? There was the email saying there were VISA issues, and then the next one didn't have him on the guest list, but he is still up on the website...
Can't wait to hear a con report! :)

sam - Am sorry I won't be seeing you again this year :( Glad to hear you'll be at an exhibition moot, though!
No lotr Movie Marathons up there yet? they're running a bit late... I managed to catch one in Canberra in March (must admit to dozing off a little - but it was the night after all convention things so I was pretyt tired!). Maybe they'll do something in December to honour the lack of release of another lotr movie :P
lotrgrrrl
Rider of the Mark

Postby prettygaladriel » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:20 am

Hey, guess what guys??

I just found out that there's a LOTR exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney coming Christmas this year!!!!!

But y'know what sucks....i'm going to be overseas in that time :( :( :shock: :roll:

Still, some of you might be able to go. Just thought you guys should know :)

Later days!
prettygaladriel
Mariner

Postby Gilvala » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:15 am

oooooh Powerhouse museum here we come!!!

Hey guys sorry I haven't been around for a while - been doing the HSC student routine..... School finishes on Friday... woooohoooo!!!! then 3 more weeks until the HSC :( (aah that's really scary I didn't know it was 3 weeks until I typed it just then!!!! :| )

The concert sounds like it was a lot of fun (whatever it was...) and so does the rest of the stuff coming up (whatever it is.....) - I think I've been out of it for a bit too long...
Gilvala
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:59 pm

Gilvala, best wishes for the HSC!

PG, sorry you won't be around. I will go twice to the Powerhouse, once for me, once for you...

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby lotrgrrrl » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:36 pm

Just a quick post regarding the Powerhouse museum - just checked the site and it says tickets on sale October 16. Am curious as to how much tickets cost (I thought it might just be the standard powerhouse entry fee charge), and to whether we should buy them in advance?

Also - for a moot/trip to Sydney/Powerhouse museum visit, I doubt I'd be able to get up to Sydney any time before January 17th due to work (xmas time & January sales) & accommodation issues (have to move house on January 15th. Fingers crossed I find and obtain somewhere I can move into!). If this is too late in the holidays and inconvient for everyone else, then I shall just have to make the trip myself and try and twist sydney-sider arms into coming to the exhibition a second time.
lotrgrrrl
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gilvala » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:42 am

thanks a lot notlistening :D

and the star wars thing at powerhouse had seperate fee to the standard entry (although you could get both and save a bit) so I'm assuming the LOTR exhibition would have the same thing going...
Gilvala
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:52 am

hey guys! there is going to be a LOTR marathon at Greater Union beginning the 25th November. How wonderful! I think I will either see it the saturday or take the tuesday off.

Sam, are you interested in seeing it together, and any others in Sydney??

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby gobarg » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:40 am

Gobarg peeks into the room sees a pair of thongs and a jar of vegiemite on the table and relaxes.

Hi all I saw this Aussie thread so I thought I woud put my hand up as a true blue.

I live in Melbourne at the mo but am from W.A. originally.
gobarg
Shield Bearer

Postby Dunthule » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:33 pm

Hullo All!

May I join this guild? I'll be visiting your wonderful country in a few weeks. (My second visit! :) 8) )
sighs I won't be there for the LOTR marathon though. bummer!

What will the weather be like in the Sydney area in early December?
Will the beaches be open?? :) 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:57 pm

hello noobie Aussie guilders Dunthule and gobarg. Nice to meet you!

Dunthule, the weather here in Sydney should be fine and sunny and hot! I'm sure the beaches will be open. Where are you from?

Gobarg, we won't hold that against you :D:D Never been to WA but there are Torcers in nearly every state capital.

I'm going to ring the Powerhouse and find out....hang on a mo.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Dunthule » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:56 am

Hello and thanks for the welcome notlistening! :)
That's great news about the weather. 8)
It'll be early winter here in the states.
Last edited by Dunthule on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:43 pm

there's such a thing as late weather??? :D:D I think I know what you mean. It's autumn/fall over there right now, correct?

no news on ticket prices as yet. :(

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby samaranth » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:36 am

count me IN for the marathon, notlistening...I'll go into training now :P

(the Saturday is probably better for me, but I could wangle the Tuesday off, if necessary)

w00t! and all that... :D
samaranth
Rider of the Mark

Postby notlistening » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:37 pm

sam, that sounds good! we can work on it when they have session time maybe?

I sent you and lotrgrrl an email regarding Powerhouse stuff. their website has more details now for those thinking of visiting and let's face it, who wouldn't???

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby lotrgrrrl » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:40 am

Thanks for the email, nl. I followed the link but am a bit confused about prices. It seemed that for any particular day, ticket prices range from $9.50 - $48... yet it seems to give no information regarding the difference in prices (what do you get for the different dollar amounts?). All prices seem to get you 4hours.

To me the price variation itself seems weird. It sounds like a concert with different prices for different seats, rather than a wander-through exhibition. Though I did find this bit of info:
'Special exhibition entry is specific to the timeslot booked to comfortably accommodate entry and full visibility of the special exhibitions.'
So I guess the more you pay, the more you see... but I would like this clarified. Have emailed the powerhouse museum, so will hopefully get more info.

Having rambled on about that - if paying more gets you more then I am almost garuanteed to do that.

How is everyone else for dates? Is after January 17th too late for everyone else?
Also, buying tickets in advance seems like a good idea, so if we manage to settle on a date and time, would I be able to send a Postal money order thing to someone and they get my ticket for me? (I have no credit card, and that seems to be the only way of purchasing them).

Greeting Dunthule and Gorbag! Welcome to our humble abode....
Any interest in coming up to the exhibition at Sydney, gorbag?
lotrgrrrl
Rider of the Mark

Postby Dunthule » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:27 am

LOL notlistening!! :lol: :lol: :oops:
I meant "winter" (versus weather).

Thanks for the welcome everyone!!
Very soon .. I will be having an ale at an Aussue pub!
Victoria's bitter perhaps?? :wink:

But much more importantly ... enjoying chatting with new and old Aussie friends!! :) 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:22 pm

Yah! I have tickets to LOTR exhibition on the 28th December (first viewing)
Tickets are $19.50 for adult types and less for others. Not sure how long you can stay inside but will hope for a long while! Noi photos allowed though. boooo! Gonna be sooooo good.

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Varda2779 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:25 am

HI everyone, this will be the first time I've posted in the Aussie guild but I am as true blue an aussie as you will find! I'm a Queenslander. And doing bloody law at uni, what keeps me going I'll never know.........

I read in the earlier posts that you were talking about the Brisbane exhibition with Sean Astin: I went to it, waited in line for ages and ages to get an autograph with John Noble, Sean Astin and John Rhys Davies......but it was so worth it. Earlier before getting my autograph I had just bought sean's new book, and after he signed the photo that I had purchased of him we talked a little and he asked me if I'd bought his book...........and when I said he had he asked if I wanted him to sign it for me (each individual autograph cost $35-it was a rip off but I'd pay any money for those autographs....and I had only paid for one from sean astin). So I said to him, are you allowed to do that, and he just goes, well no, but I really don't care........hehehehe it was funny. And he was even kind enough to write a nice little message for me in it, then let me take a photo with him..............john noble and john rhys-davies were both so lovely, john rhys-davies was one of the funniest people I think I've ever met.

Anyway, enough of a ramble. You know how long its been since I've been to TORC? AAAAGGGGGEEEESSSS. Notlistening, do you remember me from aunty ethel and sister saro's thread like last year? For some reason I just didn't come here for ages and ages........I think too busy with uni........damn law.........

But yes, it is nice to be among aussies, considering that it doesn't seem there are many of us on this site. I look forward to having long gossipy discussions about australian idol :roll: and all the other things our country is crazy about

Cheers!

Varda

P.S. Did anyone win anything on the melbourne cup? I backed the winner and got the quinella!!!! Ya, finally some luck......
Varda2779
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Midgardsormen » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:09 am

Hi everyone!

Well, I did put a couple of dollars on a few horses......and got number one and two, but since I only bet 1-2 dollars it was just enough to almost cover what I spent! :)

I am off to Canberra next weekend for the BOBW Convention.
(I also went to the Supanova here in Brisbane, and got some signatures...cost a fortune but I had a great time.

Anyone else going to Canberra? No big names there this time, but they are always enjoyable events, and there is always someone to talk too.

It is really sad that they had some visa problems.......but I mainly go for the fun and to meet others, so I am sure I am going to have a good time.

My back is killing me today so I am stopping for now.......besides the Orc ( that is my son for those that are not in the know!) has an assignment to finish....... :roll:

So I will say good bye for now!

See ya...............MO
Midgardsormen
Shield Bearer

Postby sh_wulff » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:23 am

would love to join in the Sydney exhibition thingie

ecept my suis is due to give birth around then ( warming my catchimg mit)

so would only be able to commit at last minute
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:52 pm

Midgardsormen and others going to BOBW, we expect reports and photos!!

sh wulfy, hope all goes well for the birth. Hope to see you in Sydney sometime soon!

Sam, I haven't heard anymore about the trilogy at GU. May have to ring them soon.

only 24 days and 4 hrs until ROTK EE will be in my dvd player! woohoo!!!

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby lotrgrrrl » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:54 pm

Well BOBW is underway, and I have been taking notes :) Am hoping to start to get them typed up today, so that last time doesn't repeat itself, where time slips away and I still haven't put up any sort of report.

I shall keep an eye out for you Midgarsormen! Like you said, no big names. But I still had a ball at the workshop yesterday. Could not attend the WETA workshop today ((do I look like I'm made of money??)), so hoping its not as fun as yesterday was :)

Welcome Varda!

NL - I heard at the con yesterday that all EE movie marathons have been cancelled (worldwide), when I asked if anyone knew anyhting about them (cos I hadn't been able to find any more info online).
As for Sydney - I will be travelling up Thursday the 20th of January, and returning Tuesday the 25th. So if anyone was wanting to do Mooty things (EXHIBITION! EXHIBITION!) on the Saturday and/or SUnday, I am definitely up to it. Am also wondering if the only way to get tickets is by credit card (and if so, if someone might be able to purchase one on my behalf, and I either send them a Postal money order, or give the money to them at the exhibition in January).

Will let you guys know more about about convention reports ASAP!
lotrgrrrl
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth