The approppriate guild for the Sci/Fi Geeks

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Wilma » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:39 am

Well mild SciFi fans are OK I think. Mild scifi fans can watch Farscape PKwars on Sunday at 8pm (begging). I used to be a mild fan before I became the notorious enabler that I now am :twisted:

The thing for me now is changing people's views of us Sci-Fi geeks. So I'm quite vocal and considered quite strange by many people now. I'll be posting more later.
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby Klonkku » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:02 am

But being strange equals being unique, and there is nothing wrong in that, now is there? :)
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Wilma » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:50 pm

No there is nothing wrong with that, and frankly most strangers don't think I'm strange but my friends do. I think it goes back to sending my bra to the SciFi channel.

Anyway I think I'm approaching Farscape geek Nirvana. The Mini will be airing soon, and there is so much positive media coverage. It's just unreal. On one radio station they even mentioned that the fans in the Lobby were grown women with Jobs!!!!!!!

I hope you guys can allow my scaper heart to indulge a bit here.
First Ben Browder will on the late late show which is on right now!!!
Here is review from TV Guide http://www.tvguide.com/tv/roush/dispatches/
And here is a links to the radio interview where they mentioned the fans are grown women Part one, Part 2 and part3.

Here is where they mention the Bras!!!

OK OK that's it for now Oh I feel good. Ohh geek Nirvana!!!
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:15 am

Don't feel bad, WithyWyrm. I'm not sure I qualify for this guild either.

Fantasy geek yes!! :D :D :D

Sci-Fi geek, not so much.

I have been a fan of SG1 since the beginning. I have every season that's been released so far on DVD. I'd love to watch Stargate Atlantis, but I don't get cable. :(

I did read something interesting in the entertainment section of the paper the other day. It seems George Lucas has decided to play with the scene in the space bar where Solo shoots the bounty hunter. He's digitally altering it so that the bounty hunter shoots first, and Solo fires in self defense. According to the article, the revised version is the one shown on the DVDs. Star Wars fans are complaining---they liked the original scene better, and they're saying that unless one bought the movie when it first came out on VHS, or taped it from a TV showing, one can't get the movie with the original scene intact.

I have Star Wars on VHS.

The scene has not been changed.

WOW!!! I guess I got a collecters item! :shock: :Q

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Elfkin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:43 am

Ooh, spiffy! Collector's edition Star Wars! Just make sure George doesn't send round ninjas to destroy all original copies of the scene...

*ominous music plays*
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby Feline » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:03 am

May I join too?

I'm quite active in Finnish Sci-Fi fandom. I'm a board member at the Helsinki University Science Fiction Club, and I also take care of the Club library.

So I guess I am a geek. :D

Some of my favourites: Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke (Just finished The City and the Stars today. :)), the Valerian comics, and of course Star Wars.

And before I go... A reminder for all the Finnish Sci-Fi geeks: Don't forget the Helsinki Book Fair on 28th to 31st October! Sunday especially is a Science Fiction day, and you don't want to miss that! :)
Feline
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:15 pm

Feline, how did you like The City and the Stars? It's been ages since I read that one, but it's still one of my favourites of Clarke's novels.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Feline » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:36 am

I thought it was beautiful. :) I'm not a big fan of thick Sci-Fi books filled with endless details of how spaceships or alien societies function. That kind of writers can't usually hold my interest for long. Clarke's writing is very light, and easy to read, and still he manages to create these huge cosmic visions. (On the other hand, his characters tend to be kind of flat.)

I have only read his earlier works, though. I don't know if I'll enjoy the newer ones (which seem to be mostly collaborations). I've been told they are not as good as the early novels.

Anyway... Sense of Wonder. That's what I'm usually after when I start reading. (And that's why I never read ordinary prose. :P) This is kind of stupid, but there are some writers who can make me cry, because the ideas and descriptions are just so awe-inspiring. Or they fill me with longing or just plain sadness. With Tolkien this happens quite often.

OK. I don't know if I'm making any sense here, so I'd better stop before this gets any worse. :oops:

P.S. I can't believe I forgot to mention The Rocky Horror Picture Show in my previous message! The ultimate cult movie! :D
Feline
Ranger of the North

Postby MaidenOfTheShieldarm » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:56 am

Feline wrote: This is kind of stupid, but there are some writers who can make me cry, because the ideas and descriptions are just so awe-inspiring. Or they fill me with longing or just plain sadness. With Tolkien this happens quite often.

That's not stupid! I know exactly what you mean. Same thing happens to me.

I don't know where you lot live, but if anyone is from around Massachusetts, there's a Star Wars exhibit coming to the Museum of Science in Boston right after the LOTR exhibit leaves (tomorrow! :cry: :cry: ) Don't know much about it, as I've only seen the postcards that they had at WorldCon, but it looked interesting. Just thought I'd let people know...
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Ranger of the North

Postby Midgardsormen » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:17 am

Hmmm, seems like I belong here.

Not that big on SF movies........did like the first series of Star Wars very much and do watch tv series when they are not being showed at midnight, but I mainly read SF.

Started looooong time ago (30 + years) with Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and Frank Herbert's Dune.....and it took off from there.

I read the odd Fantasy, but I much prefer good SF!

Have virtually all of early Heinlein, Asimov's SF, a whole wall of SF organised alphabetically downstairs, but my favourites are all in the bedroom.
Favourite author? C. J. Cherryh........love her Foreigner Series as well as her early books!
One of my all time favourites is The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle (sp?).
A 'new' author that I absolutely love too is Julie E. Czerneda (LOL, try asking for that when you go to a bookstore!)
The first book in three so far............absolutely great AND funny!
( title: Beholder's Eye) Highly recommended!

In desperation I do read fantasy because there is so much of it around and I have to read something while waiting for all the good SF authors to write something.
I lean towards 'anthropological SF' ie. meeting aliens.........more than the technical kind of SF or ones that have lots of weapons in them.

Enough ranting..........just there is noone in my circle of colleagues or friends who has the slightest interest in SF!!

(I do LOVE LOTR........only fantasy I truly adore I must say although there are a few good other ones around)

Midgardsormen (MO for short!)
Midgardsormen
Shield Bearer

Postby MariaHobbit » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:47 pm

Hey, look what I just found: The top 100 sci fi books ever :) From this site:http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_books_rank1.html

I haven't read nearly enough of them! I'm going to put an "X" after the ones I've read. :)

Rank Author/Editor Title Year
1 Frank Herbert- Dune [S1]-1965 X
2 Orson Scott Card- Ender's Game [S1]-1985
3 Isaac Asimov- Foundation [S1-3-1951X
4 William Gibson- Neuromancer-1984X
5 Robert A Heinlein- Stranger in a Strange Land-1961X
6 Ursula K Le Guin- The Left Hand of Darkness-1969X
7 Larry Niven- Ringworld-1970X
8 Robert A Heinlein- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress-1966X
9 George Orwell- Nineteen Eighty-Four-1949X
10 Dan Simmons- Hyperion-1989X
11 Douglas Adams- The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy-S1]1979X
12 Joe Haldeman- The Forever War-1974
13 Frederik Pohl- Gateway-1977
14 Ursula K Le Guin- The Dispossessed-1974
15 David Brin- Startide Rising [S2]-1983
16 Walter M Miller- A Canticle for Leibowitz-1959
17 Harlan Ellison [ed]- [A] Dangerous Visions-1967
18 Ray Bradbury- [C] The Martian Chronicles-1950X
19 Alfred Bester- The Stars My Destination-1956X
20 Arthur C Clarke- Childhood's End-1954
21 Alfred Bester- The Demolished Man-1953
22 Roger Zelazny- Lord of Light-1967
23 Robert A Heinlein- Starship Troopers-1959X
24 Ray Bradbury- Fahrenheit 451-1954X
25 Isaac Asimov- [C] I, Robot-1950
26 John Brunner- Stand on Zanzibar-1969
27 Orson Scott Card- Speaker for the Dead [S2]-1986
28 Vernor Vinge- A Fire Upon the Deep-1991X
29 Arthur C Clarke- Rendezvous With Rama-1973X
30 Niven & Pournelle- The Mote in God's Eye-1975X
31 Gene Wolfe- The Shadow of the Torturer [S1]-1980
32 Philip K Dick- The Man in the High Castle-1962
33 Neal Stephenson- Snow Crash-1992
34 Theodore Sturgeon- More Than Human-1953
35 Ben Bova [ed]- [A] The Best of the Nebulas-1989
36 Kim Stanley Robinson -Red Mars-1992X
37 David Brin- The Uplift War [S3]-1987
38 H G Wells -The War of the Worlds-1898X
39 Philip K Dick- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?-1968
40 Daniel Keyes- Flowers for Algernon-1966
41 H G Wells- The Time Machine-1895
42 Aldous Huxley- Brave New World-1932X
43 Isaac Asimov- The Gods Themselves-1972
44 Connie Willis- Doomsday Book-1992
45 Arthur C Clarke- 2001: A Space Odyssey-1968X
46 Clifford Simak- Way Station-1963
47 Philip José Farmer- To Your Scattered Bodies Go-1971
48 Neal Stephenson- The Diamond Age-1995
49 Isaac Asimov- The Caves of Steel-1954
50 Gregory Benford- Timescape-1980
51 Gardner Dozois [ed]- [A] The Year's Best Science Fiction [S]-1984
52 C J Cherryh- Downbelow Station-1981
53 Anthony Burgess- A Clockwork Orange-1962
54 Lois McMaster Bujold -Barrayar [S2]-1991
55 Greg Bear -Blood Music-1985
56 Robert Silverberg- Dying Inside-1972
57 John Wyndham- The Day of the Triffids-1951
58 Pohl & Kornbluth- The Space Merchants-1953
59 Philip K Dick- Ubik-1969
60 Edgar Rice Burroughs -A Princess of Mars [S1]-1912X
61 James Blish- A Case of Conscience-1958
62 Clifford Simak- [C] City-1952
63 Hal Clement- Mission of Gravity-1953X
64 Mary Shelley- Frankenstein-1818X
65 Tim Powers- The Anubis Gates-1983
66 Jules Verne- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea-1870X
67 Isaac Asimov (et al) [eds]- [A] Hugo Winners/New Hugo-Winners [S]
68 Arthur C Clarke- The City and the Stars-1956
69 Robert A Heinlein- Time Enough For Love-1973X
70 George R Stewart- Earth Abides-1949
71 Kurt Vonnegut- Slaughterhouse Five-1969
72 Iain M Banks- Player Of Games-1988
73 Kurt Vonnegut- Cat's Cradle-1963
74 Stanislaw Lem- Solaris-1961
75 Niven & Pournelle- Lucifer's Hammer-1977
76 Philip K Dick- The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch-1964
77 Arthur C Clarke- The Fountains of Paradise-1979
78 Robert A Heinlein- The Door Into Summer-1956X
79 Samuel R Delany -Babel-17-1966
80 Poul Anderson -Tau Zero-1970
81 James Blish -[C] Earthman, Come Home-1955
82 C J Cherryh -Cyteen: The Betrayal [S1]-1988
83 Jules Verne -Journey to the Center of the Earth-1864
84 E E 'Doc' Smith -Grey Lensman [S4]-1951
85 Harlan Ellison [ed] -[A] Again, Dangerous Visions-1972
86 Joanna Russ -The Female Man-1975
87 Robert A Heinlein -The Puppet Masters-1951X
88 Joan D Vinge -The Snow Queen-1980
89 Brian Aldiss -Helliconia Spring [S1]-1982
90 Margaret Atwood -The Handmaid's Tale-1985
91 Olaf Stapledon -Last and First Men-1930
92 Arkady & Boris Strugatsky -Roadside Picnic-1972
93 Roger Zelazny -This Immortal-1966
94 Kurt Vonnegut -The Sirens of Titan-1959
95 Robert Silverberg [ed] -[A] Science Fiction Hall of Fame 1-1970
96 Ursula K Le Guin- The Lathe of Heaven-1971
97 Harlan Ellison- [C] Deathbird Stories-1975
98 Samuel R Delany -Dhalgren-1975
99 David Brin -The Postman-1985
100 Robert A Heinlein -Double Star-1956X
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby MaidenOfTheShieldarm » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:40 pm

I haven't read most of the books on the list that MariaHobbit posted (I'm working on it...), but it's interesting to note that almost all of those books were published before 1975. I was talking to someone about this at WorldCon about this.... All of the classic Sci Fi books are old, from the fifties and sixties. Heinlein, Bradbury, Clarke, LeGuin, Adams, etc. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why that is. Has the newer stuff just not had time to become 'classic' yet? Or is the quality of SF just not what it used to be? I haven't read nearly as much SF as I'd like to have read by now, and almost all of what I have read is 'classic'-- The Martian Chronicles, Stranger in a Strange Land, etc, so I can't really put forth my own opinion. Just wondering what you all thought.

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:48 am

I've read all of two books on that list. :shock: (Hitchhikers' Guide and Frankenstein. I love those classic monster books!) Though I have managed to obtain some of the Jules Verne and H.G. Wells on my thrift-store excursions, so once I can read for fun again (stupid school) they will get read at some point. I guess when it comes right down to it, I am more of a fantasy geek with a growing appreciation for sci-fi. (Though, truthfully, I wouldn't really consider Frankenstein to be sci-fi...)

Though I have been in SG-1 geekdom heaven lately... my mom bought all of the seasons except the current one on DVD, so I've been watching those to fill in the gaps (I liked the original movie but we didn't have cable until a couple years ago, so it wasn't until I stumbled across the show over the summer that I got hooked.)
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:02 pm

That's a nice list, Maria! I've actually read quite many books from it, though not even close to most of them... Especially I've missed most of the newer ones.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby MariaHobbit » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:45 am

One of the most amazing ones was Vernor Vinge's "Fire Upon the Deep". Some of the concepts contained within it were truely mind-boggling. I'd call it a classic already, even though it was only written in 1991. :)
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby Lindonbayne » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:49 am

Hey guys! Geek here, though not strictly sci-fi, I go for fantasy and horror too.

I'm not that keen on sci-fi novels, with the possible exeption of comedic ones like Hitchhiker's Guide, the Red Dwarf books and I'd put Discworld more in fantasy than sci-fi. I love distopia novels too, like 1984, Brave New World, and more recently, A Handmaid's Tale by Margeret Atwood, anyone read that one? Scary.
I usually go for Victorian 'sci-fi', like Jules Verne, R.L. Stevenson, Shelley, Broker, Wilde etc.

As for T.V. I watch anything and everything, was a bit of a trekkie for a while, but that seems to have faded with age, lol. As for Farscape, I think they stopped showing it when Aeryn died and I haven't had a T.V. since it came back.

Fare thee well John Wayne! (yes, I'm listening to The Pogues :D)
Lindonbayne
Ranger of the North

Postby Wasara » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:22 pm

Just saw Twelve Monkeys by Terry Gilliam.It was quite impressive,one of the best sci-fi movies what I have seen.

Lindon,I like The Pogues too!
Wasara
Mariner

Postby Lindonbayne » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:44 pm

Twelve Monkeys is an amazing film! Fantastically written and directed, not to mention the superb acting of Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. I just wish I had it on DVD as well as the video I can't play :roll:

The Pogues are great aren't they? I guess I have my aging punk parents to thank for introducing me to them (and letting me nick their CDs/vinyls :wink: ) My current fave is Fairytale of New York, it's that time again, lol.
Lindonbayne
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:33 pm

I just saw the re-make of Planet Of The Apes. It made for an interesting watch, but I was wondering about the originals and how they compaired. Has anyone seen them and can help me out?
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Wasara » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:56 am

Lyndon,Pitt got The Oscar nomination but I think Willis should had got The Oscar but this is only my opinion.Also Madeleine Stowe was great.I recalled her from Last of the Mohicans.

I got Very Best and Hell`s Ditch of Pogues and those are Great!

Patriotblade,I have seen only first and second original ones.
Wasara
Mariner

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth