The Dancer's Guild

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

The Dancer's Guild

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:54 pm

Okay, I did run a search. I am not sure if I saw anything like this. If there was something already, please forgive me. Feel free to delete, MODs.

Anyway, this is the Dancer's Guild! Be it Adagio, Ballet, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Tap, or anything else, it's welcome here! Feel free to discuss your dance routines, if you have any going, discussing a famous dancer, or your favorite dance movie(s).

When posting, if you are going to be a frequent poster, please state what dance you take and how long you've taken it.

To start it off, I am taking Ballet and Hip-Hop. Ballet, I've taken for two years, and this is my first year of Hip-Hop. Later, starter, yes, but interests change frequently.

Feel free to dance around whatever subjects you like! :happydance:

IMPORTANT NOTE: As posted in the first few, there has been issues of the meaning of this group. All questions answered, but please do not let this become a mini-chatroom, as it was put, and try to avoid one-liners. If you can't think of much to say, please try to think of more before posting. Thank you very much.

Dancingly yours,
Riona of Dromin
Last edited by LadyRionaofDromin on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:58 pm

This looks interesting! I LOVE dance! Once I get my car and I get settled from my new job I'd like to start taking some classes.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Tigerlily_Goldworthy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:37 pm

Hey! It's a Guild I can actually justify being in! W00t!

:happydance: <== Who votes we teach the little guy how to actually dance? :twisted:

Yeah, I've been dancing for... *counts* eight years now. I took one year of ballet my first year, was bored to death by it, switched to tap and jazz, did that until last year, when I started ballet up again, so I take all three now.

I'd like to do hip-hop, too, but I don't think I've got the upper-body strength for it. :roll:

I've actually got Tap and Jazz tonight... for tap we're doing "Carwash" from Shark Tale, that new movie... and I'm so excited-- I get to use props for the first time. :beams happily at everyone: And of course, the costumes are gonna be fun, too-- jeans and teeshirts! No nassssty uncomfy sequins or long sleeves! :D

And in jazz we're doing "Turn the Beat Around" from Dirty Dancing... it's really fast... :pants: We're not very far into that one yet, which is starting to worry me, since we've only got until late May to learn two minutes' worth of dance... I think we've got about 30 to 45 seconds' worth. :woah:

So, yeah... I like to dance a lot. But I come by it honestly... my Mom was a pointe ballerina. :D
Tigerlily_Goldworthy
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:46 pm

Alright, alright, I'll come. :D TG made me do it. :P

Hi everyone!! *Waves* I took dance for about 7 years; my favourite was ballet, but I also took tap and jazz. I was on pointe for a year before the owner of my studio had some trouble and had to close (needless to say, mom wasn't happy about the lack of toe-shoe use...), and that was at least four years ago. :(

Since then, I've hardly done any dancing (I don't exactly have dancer form.. :roll: ), but what I'd really like to get into is Irish Step Dancing. There's a guy in my town who teaches it, but right now it's only a kid's class... So I bother him about it. :D

TG--*Edited because TG explained the difference between long sleeves, and big floofy sleeves. :D* Personally, I like the fun skirts. :D:P

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aerin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:27 pm

I've had formal training (ie, under a certified teacher) for seven years in jazz, tap and ballet (no pointe), then quit that. I took some informal lessons under a friend of mine in modern dancing, then incorporated that and elements of ballet into my own version of interpretive dancing, which I do every year.

Tigerlily - I have "Turn the Beat Around" on my computer right now. You're right, it's very fast to dance to!
Aerin
Mariner

Postby ThreadStalker » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:34 pm

Excuse me for interrupting but I wonder if you have read the announcement about new guilds in this forum. It is stickied at the top of the forum first page. You seem to have little more than a title and the idea of dancing around. Admirable but not a guild, just a group that likes to dance around. I suggest you put a bit more thought into this if you want to establish a guild with any chance of survival.

From the sticky at the top of the first page:
If you start a new Alliance or a Guild you should have more than a title. What is your group about? Do you have a goal? Do you have any sort of membership requirement or can anyone just walk in and chat away? Is there a group leader? How is your group structured? What will you talk about in the thread? Why should someone want to join your group? What does your group offer to its membership? To the boards in general?
ThreadStalker
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:27 am

Ooh, I'm very sorry, ThreadStalker! I didn't read the sticky...and no excuses will be offered.

Should I move it elsewhere if I can't think of anything to meet the requirements?

My apologies again.

~Riona~
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby Tigerlily_Goldworthy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:03 pm

:bang: :bang:

Whoa, Riona, we can work this out! This thread doesn't have to close! :P (I've had lots of experience reforming threads... B^ ;))

Last night, I spent half an hour going through each of TS' questions and answering them... then TORC wouldn't let me connect to the database and I lost it. I'm still a little irritated. But I'll do it again, since now instead of being energized by a dance class, I've been energized by two huge chocolate cookies and a large soda. :twisted:

I'm just kind of laying everything out on the table so I can see what we've got... feel free to ignore me, people. Or suggest things to add, since I didn't start this thread, and therefore don't know exactly what Riona was thinking. :D

The Sticky wrote:If you start a new Alliance or a Guild you should have more than a title. What is your group about? Do you have a goal? Do you have any sort of membership requirement or can anyone just walk in and chat away? Is there a group leader? How is your group structured? What will you talk about in the thread? Why should someone want to join your group? What does your group offer to its membership? To the boards in general?

What is your group about?

Well, obviously, dancing. :P (Sorry, couldn't resist that)

Do you have a goal?

Um... good question.

Do you have any sort of membership requirement or can anyone just walk in and chat away?

Well, this thread probably wouldn't be interesting except to dancers, and people who'd like to dance, but don't currently... so, I'd assume a requirement would be to have an interest in dance.

Is there a group leader?

Riona started this thread, but there are a couple of us in here with more dance experience, so this would have to be discussed.

How is your group structured?

Ummm? Good question?

What will you talk about in the thread?
Dance stuff, obviously. But specifically, probably talk about routines we're working on, songs, costumes (Like which companies have really crappy ones and which are good, which companies ship promptly, etc). Maybe talk about things like how to do a step or combination, or how to take care of your shoes. Tell anecdotes about funny things that happened during class or at a recital. Just thought of something- maybe each month someone could compile some sort of quiz for everyone to do...

Why should someone want to join your group? What does your group offer to its membership?

Those questions go together, I think. I think people'd want to join the group, 'cause dance is cool. :D But it'd be a chance to learn some things about dance, and to talk to people who know what shuffle-hops and jetes are. And who don't look at you strangely when you randomly start practicing a combination while you're waiting in line (Oh, wait... that's probably just me... :D)

To the boards in general?

Hey, look another good question! Sticky's very astute! :P
Tigerlily_Goldworthy
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:28 pm

Mr. Stalker wrote:How is your group structured?

Sit-down warm-ups such as butterflies on the floor first, then plies, tendus, etc. at the barre. If it's tap, we'll do shuffles, flaps, dot dot dot... After this we'll probably move to our routine on the floor.

Oh.. you meant... *shakes head*

That TS guy--again wrote:To the boards in general?

We'll be sharing our love of dance with TORC in hopes that we can inspire others to try. Dancing is great exercise and lots of fun, and people who go to see "The Nutcracker" once a year might not realize how much work it takes.

Other than that.. *points at TG* What she said.

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:35 pm

lol, yeah. I thought of posting answers like...five seconds after I clicked out of the window to read somethin' else, lol. But it all works. :)

I've got dance again, tonight! Ballet, lol.

And yeah, the experience-leader thing is fine with me. So, maybe once we have more people, we can decide that. :D If everythings fine with TS.

Anyhow...
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Postby ThreadStalker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:33 pm

Now that you have put on your thinking caps don't stop. You are doing just what needs doing to get an orgainzed guild/alliance off the ground.

We ask you to ask those questions to avoid having a group start a mini chat room that we will only have to come along and lock down. that does not make anyone happy.

A guild/alliance is not a substitute for a Chat/IM service. That would be against the TOS. Since you have decided to put some thought into this and try to get organized, I shall not close the thread as of yet.

Good Luck.
ThreadStalker
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyRionaofDromin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:59 pm

*bow* Thank you, ThreadStalker! We won't let it become a mini chatroom! I'll edit the first post and mention that. :)

Okay...hmm...don't wanna be spammy, so....

Oh! We're over a minute in my hip-hop dance class! Ballet, we started over again, but didn't have much done originally, either. And, there's one boy in my classes (same boy in both), and he's in the group I'm in in ballet, so me and another girl or two (lol) have separate parts where, while the first two groups are doing their own thing, we take his hands and make a semi-circle 'round him, and then two other girls undo that. So, he winds up with his hands crossed around him at first, then uncrossed. But, before that, we all run out there and strike a pretty pose, lol. :)

Hip-hop is fun, but last Monday night, we nearly died! It was so hot, but we got a lot done on the dance. The song is 'Souljahz Don't Stop' by the Christian group 'Souljahz.' (Note: My studio is Christian organized/owned/etc) No clue what the song is in Ballet, but it's a pretty classical song. It makes me think of blue, yet our costumes are red. :| lol Whatever the teacher thinks, though.

We had a sub this past Tuesday in ballet, and she was Russian. Her accent was very cool...

Looking forward to dance again.

And certainly looking forward to having this threat set off well!

Dancingly yours,
:heart: Riona of Dromin :heart:
LadyRionaofDromin
Ranger of the North

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth