Discipuli Conlegium (The Students' Guild)

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Discipuli Conlegium (The Students' Guild)

Postby Echo_Starlite » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:31 am

This guild is founded in the hopes of uniting and aiding college students, and high school students on their way to becoming college students. Therefore, students (and non-students :P )of all age levels are welcome, though the main focus will be in the area of post-high school education.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Upon entering college, I found myself extremely uncomfortable; I knew where I was going, but I didn't know any of the other students. I thought of it as an extreme change of schools; not only is there the adjustment to new faces and places, but coupled with intense course work and ambiguous contact with professors, it seemed a bit overwhelming.
So I went home and got on the Internet, hoping to find some communities or chat rooms handling the subject, and to my surprise, there really weren't many.
And so I began to think.........

I would like this to be a place for people to share their school experience and advice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Here are a few helpful links:

1) www.CollegeBoard.com

2) www.mycollegeguide.org/

3) www.fafsa.ed.gov/
***(This is essential for student aid!)***

4) www.petersons.com/

5) www.college-scholarships.com/
and
6) www.scholarships.com/
are good for scholarships.
*~____________________________________~*

So, I would like to ask all new members to please:
1) Post university/college and major
2) State one thing they regret about entering college/freshman processing
MEMBERS

1. Echo_Starlite (SUNY Albany/ Journalism+Theater)

That said, I declare this institution open.

:angel:

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education."
-Mark Twain
Echo_Starlite
Ranger of the North

Postby Rinon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:27 pm

Awwww, i feel bad that your all alone :P Im going to college eventually (hopefully USC), and i am in high school, so I'll be a part-time member. Are you from near albany? Im only one state and about 10 hours below you :roll:

ehh, I really do NOT want to take the new SATs.... I took the old ones (dont ask) before, but they dont count.
Rinon
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:42 pm

Not bad Echo, thats a nice set of links. :D

But did you know theres already a students guild?

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=81390

The mods might not want two. Just a heads up for you. :D
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:48 pm

I saw the title and thought for sure someone had finally opened a Latin Speakers Guild. Drat. :D

Hiya Echo and Rinon! :) Echo-- Love the sig quote--yay for Wicked! :)

Well, I will be a college sophomore this fall and am ready to join the institution of TORC College Students (Unite!). I go to Grand Valley State University in Michigan, where I am a Creative Writing major and a Latin minor, or, as I tell most people, "I'm majoring in unemployment with a minor in "What do you do with THAT?""

(By the way... the Latin you have now uses the word 'students'' as an adjective, while your English translation uses it as a noun. If you really want it to say "Students' Guild, it should be Discipulorum instead of Discipuli. Sorry.. just had to say it. Feel free to smack me. :P)

One thing I regret about freshman year.. only one? I can think of many. Here are two.

1) Because I am not tall, thin, pretty, and outgoing, I am of the opinion that everyone is out to get me on a personal level, or perhaps not so much out to get me as just certain that they won't look past my exterior. Dumb and immature, I know. But it's the way I am. Blame it on Junior High.. :roll: Anyhow, because of this, I had a hard time making friends because I was not willing to just bounce in and say "Sure, I'll come along!" when people said they were going places, doing things... I was sure that they would take me along, but really think I was just in the way and rude to invite myself. You see all those people with their little groups and are afraid to ask to be included, even if they share your interests.. or at least, that's me.
So yeah, regret in a nutshell: Not being more outgoing.

Related non-regret-- Joining the church choir! Fun fun fun!! They practically attacked me when I told them I played the violin. :)

2) Going to that "opening ceremony" thing. Waste of time and really hot. No one wants to see a bunch of professors get awards when they have no idea who those people even are!

I can think of more if you like.. :D

Rinon-- I didn't take the SAT's.. took the ACT, though. I know they added a writing section to the SAT's.. even though I'm a writing major, I'm still sorry for you. :hug: ;)

That said, I'm going to bed! G'night!

~Sil

Edit: Hmm, Toby has a point. Perhaps this would be better suited in Talk as an "Advice for incoming College Students" thread? I'll let the mods decide.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Daefaroth » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:47 pm

oldtoby is correct, there is already an existing Student's Guild thread.

Please continue to use it.

Thank you oldtoby for providing the link.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth