Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

Postby GwenElf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Rose, what did you end up doing with the velvet and grommets? I've never sewn real velvet before, but I understand it's rather difficult to work with (and to iron -- you're supposed to iron it from the underside).

Stormcrow, sewing based on a 14th century manuscript has got to be a challenge! I can't even sew with a vintage pattern... all those little dots and no lines. :shock:

I finished my latest cosplay and am knitting a shawl/scarf right now. I've got a number of things on my mending pile, but that's just not as much fun! :P
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 am

I sew very little but I couldn't resist putting an oar in here. I'm in the SCA and I'm way overdue for new garb (I think my newest dress is over 15 years old!), and my husband's newest tunic is maybe 10 years old. But I do love seeing other people's work and it just might get me started on new projects, even if they're not actually clothing. I have a lot of fabric I bought for garb in recent years, and some older stuff I want to turn into pillowcases and so on. (I want to get back into knitting too, but that's for the Crafters guild. :) )
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:20 am

Hiya, Morwenna!! :hihi: I've always been intimidated by the SCA since I tend to hear stories about the absolutely hard-core members who do everything as historically-accurate as possible: period fabrics and materials, hand sewing, etc. I have immense respect for people who can do that, but I am definitely not one of them! On the other hand, I've heard from many other SCA members who don't have standards quite that high but still enjoy it a lot. For now I'm good with Renaissance faires, and I could use a new set of garb as well. I'm happy with my court garb, which I just keep adding things to (seriously, all the stuff than hangs off my belt must weigh five pounds..) but I'd like a set of archer garb, or possibly something like a book merchant. Or both! :D

In sewing news, I made a pretty coat! I have a bunch of fabric leftover, so I'm designing a skirt to go with it.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:34 am

Wow! That's great! Believe me, I'm only a rank beginner, even though I've been in the SCA over 30 years. I make simple T-tunics, dresses, chemises and skirts (I let others do the bodices!); I haven't even learned to do pants for my husband. It's building the item that's a problem, that and the fact that my seams look like a path made by a drunken goat. :) So there's no way I'm going to make anything complex to wear on the street! (But I do wish I could make credible blouses; I'm overweight so anything that fits me in the shoulders is too tight across the bust, you get the idea.)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby barrelrider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm in the SCA too! I know a very accomplished seamstress who makes her own period-accurate (modified for female figures) fighting gear, she's wonderful! I'm in school for costuming but haven't taken any classes just yet. I made a giant squid out of jeans if that counts!
Just yesterday I bought a dress that had a bunch of elastic in the bust, I guess so it would fit more sizes? it was way too small in the bust for me but I bought it anyways and just took the elastic out, it fits perfectly now! I don't know if that counts though. :P
barrelrider
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Morwenna » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:18 am

Well, the Pennsic War is right around the corner and my husband is begging me for new tunics, so I'd better get busy! And all my old overdresses are too tight in the bust now since I gained weight. I can't even find half my fabric. But I can certainly sew up what I do find!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:47 am

*performs CPR on the thread* I think I will sign up for thread notifications, because I always forget to check A&G these days.

How was Pennsic, Morwenna? Did you end up making those tunics?

:hihi: barrelrider! Sometimes I think I should have gone to school for costuming, but it's rather too late for that, so I'm just plugging away at it as a hobby. I'd love to hear about your classes and see any of your work you'd like to share! Especially a giant squid made of jeans! (Actually, a friend of mine just commented that she has almost a dozen pairs of jeans she can't wear any more; I should suggest that as a project. :D )
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 am

I made hubby 2 tunics but both need some modification. I didn't make a thing for myself. :( But now I actually have some time! And I found more fabric, only not the stuff I was looking for... :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 am

Morwenna wrote:And I found more fabric, only not the stuff I was looking for... :roll:

:rofl: Oooooooh man, do I know that feeling. I cat-sat for my advisor for a year while she was in Cambridge on fellowship, and when the cats moved in they gave me these three big plastic tubs to put stuff in (one of the cats likes to eat strings, thread, elastic, etc.) I filled all three with fabric and was so glad when they told me I could keep them. Not sure what I did with all that fabric before I had those tubs!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth