Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi, and welcome to the Sewers/Costumers Guild! (Formerly known as the Costumers' Guild. ;)) This is the place to chat or show all your projects (LotR-related or not) or just talk about sewing in general.

To see some of the stuff we've been working on, you can check out our websites: Chapter I, Chapter II or Chapter III.

The old thread

Other useful links:
www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr
www.padawansguide.com
http://www.costumersguide.com/
http://www.costumersguide.com/costume_research.shtml

And if there's anything I forgot to put in this post, let me know and I'll add it.
Last edited by shieldmaidenofrohan on Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Alright! I figured it out! Pics of two costumes are there now. :) I'll get the Jedi costume up shortly. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:05 pm

:happydance::happydance:

I love the Gandalf robe and the dress, Undi! They look fantastic! :):)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:52 pm

Shiny New Thread!!!!! :happydance:

All right, I'm starting a new page on Chapter three, also! I'm going to put up pictures of the finished garb--w00t!!

Undomiel-- Those look great!! The blue one does look comfy! :)

SMOR-- As for title suggestions, maybe we oughta change it to "Sewers Guild" or something.... so that people who don't costume but do sew won't be scared by the title. ;) Or maybe... Guild for those who Sew, Knit, Embroider, and Do things with Needles! :D

....ok, maybe not the last one. :P Whatever. :P

Off to the site!
Edit: Done!

~Sil
Last edited by GwenElf on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby MithLuin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:56 pm

The only other thing indril had at the opening of the other thread was a link to ACS:

www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr

And, of course, I'd be tempted to add a link to:

www.padawansguide.com

Any other links from the old thread that should be here? I certainly wasn't around at the beginning!

No title suggestings; I'm not that creative. I do like the idea of saying "Costuming and Sewing Guild" to expand the horizons a bit....

Edit: Oh, undomiel, nice pics! The "nightgown" looks comfy. Can't wait to see your Jedi outfit! Luthien is lucky to have such a talented mum ;).

Edit2: Oh, and perhaps a link to the old thread, for anyone who'd like to find it later, after it is locked:
http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=70390

Edit3: It is an unfortunate coincidence that the word "sewer" (pronounced "so-er") is spelled the same as the word "sewer" (pronounced "soo-er"). Does that happen to bother anyone, or are we all smart enough to figure out that "sewer" refers to a person wielding a needle, not a pipe filled with muck?
Last edited by MithLuin on Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:04 pm

Done and done. I actually did want to put sewing in the title, but just wanted to clear it with all of ya first. ;)
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:12 pm

Thanks. :)

Sil, that dress is incredible. :shock: *Is honored to be in the presence of such sewing greatness* :wink: And I think it's so cool that you're designing clothing for your characters. I might do that myself one day when I have more skill. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:55 pm

Hehehehehe, I noticed it says Sewing/Costuming guild now.. :D

Thanks, Undomiel! :) As for designing for my characters... my drawing people skills are pretty blah, and my designing my own patterns skills even blaher...so trust me.. it doesn't take a lot of talent...just willingness to stare at your disformed models. :D
Now... actually sewing them.. that's kinda harder. :D But I'm working on the Alsia now.. they're fun.

Corset fabric is washed and ready to be cut out! All I need is the pattern. :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:00 pm

:happydance: *enters the thread like that* Nice shiny dagger...I mean thread!

I'd add another link: http://www.costumersguide.com/
especially from there the Research pages: http://www.costumersguide.com/costume_research.shtml

Undomiel - I love the dress-sometimes-used-as-nightgown and the fabric of the Gandalf robe looks very neat!

I love the trim/ribbon on your costume, Sil! The whole thing is to die for.

Mith wrote:Does that happen to bother anyone, or are we all smart enough to figure out that "sewer" refers to a person wielding a needle, not a pipe filled with muck

:rofl:

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:39 pm

Well, I am adding to my threads. I don't sew much. But I did add clasps to my litttle bro's new dark blue cloak. He is CUTE!

Actually, I do sew, but finishing..... :roll: I have a shirt and a color coordinated blanket to finish... :|
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:42 pm

Arrrgh! My corset is STILL not done! My brother was at his friend's house all day, and I don't want to do it without him. I want to make sure it fits before I do anything I can't undo! :x

Hi Maranwe!

I got a little bit more done on my dress, though. I haven't put the trim on the overskirt yet, but I did sew together the parts for the underskirt. Now I have to gather it and attach it to the waistband. I am SO not looking forward to that. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:08 pm

Alright! I put pictures of my first cape, my husband's nazgul cloak and the jedi costumes on the website. :D This should be very easy from now on since I now have a digital camera and roadrunner. MUAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

I'm off to the Sterling Rennaisance Festival for the weekend. When I come back I'm going to try my hardest to do some sewing. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:00 pm

*waves to Maranwe* Hello back!

Luthy - what is it about gathering that is frankly quite awful, I wonder? I mean mostly it is not that big a deal but I always dread and curse it also and gathering long pieces of cloth is of course just plain torture.

undi - I love the Jedi robes. The colour is so good (and I even do not like brown usually) and the cloth falls in a lovely way.

Wore the still-un-hemmed-and-corded Eowyn coat to the movie theatre today and it feels wonderful when on! I was even amazed at the amount of flowing of the sleeves for the coat and the lining fabrics together are pretty heavy.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Gwenare » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:06 pm

Nice pics Undi: I'll remember about those fabrics. We're going tomorrow to JoAnn's to try and find something.

I sent the website for the costumer's pics to Dan. He is looking at them now. He so wants a Jedi outfit. I'm going to make him one if it kills me. It may do that too! :wink:

I loved that you came out victorious! Dan and I fight with our lightsabers all the time. He says I'm too rough and might break something, like one of his bones, I think! :wink: I do get a little rough with the sabers. I don't want to break them. Mine is like Master Windu's! He rocks! :) :) :)

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:07 pm

I know, Aurelin! It shouldn't be that hard, but B^B^B^

I put the trim on today. Then I went to go gather, and the thread broke. Twice. I went :bang: and gave up. B^

Cross posted with Gwen!

I'm glad you're enjoying the site. :) Did you see all three of them?
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:30 pm

Undomiel- it all looks great, especially the Jedi stuff. And I love those dueling pics.

Sil- the garb is absolutely GORGEOUS. (And I'm really glad we call you Sil, now that Gwen is in here! That would be so confusing otherwise! ;) )

Gwen- at least the lightsabers are a little more sturdy than the plastic Rohirric-looking swords that one of my friends and I got for Halloween a couple of years ago... though, we've been known to break wooden swords while dueling too. :twisted:

Ok, not costumes, but here's my sewing update: I finished one of Tirian's seat covers, and worked a bit more on a shirt I've been making. I was hoping to get it done, but I still have to finish sewing down the bodice lining and hem it. And sew a hook on, because the zipper was too short to reach to the top. And considering I had to deconstruct and reconstruct a good bit more of the bodice than I wanted to, it had better look good when it's done. And I pinned/basted most of the second seat cover around the seat today, but haven't had a chance to start sewing it yet. I'm quite happy with the first one though.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Ketha-Baranduin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Hi! it's Rumil, but my comp has been crashing and acting funny so I got a new member ship. I hope that it's not against the rules.

Can anyone tell me: How do I post Pics????

Ketha
Ketha-Baranduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:36 pm

Rumil, email me (my email address is in my sig) and I'll give you the login so you can post pictures. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:46 pm

I'm afraid in our light saber battles it's my husband who usually wins by force of enthusiasm and the fact that he's a foot taller than me. :wink:

And unless you try to make the two costumes in the space of a week, like I did, it shouldn't kill you.

Well, I went to walmart and got some cheap satin today. I realize it's probably fake (I ahve no idea was satin is made from) but it feels nice and the colors were pretty. I held up the green I got to Luthien and asked her what she thought. "It's nice," she said. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:17 pm

Undomiel-- Do I know you??? You look exactly like a friend on mine in one of those pictures... scary. :P And the Jedi robes look great!! :) Sabre fighting is fun! :D

Hiya Rumil/Ketha! Of course it's not against the rules! Welcome back! :)

Thankuuu SMOR! :)

Gwen-- Jedi robes shouldn't be too bad. And if it gets on your nerves, make Dan help you. See what it's like to be domestic. :D =:)

Off to my cottage for a week, and mom says no sewing machine! Grr. Oh well. Be back next Saturday! :grouphug:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Gwenare » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Luthy: Yes I've seen all three. They're great! I have even showed them to Dan. He liked them too! :)

I am taking all my Jedi notes with me tomorrow when I go to JoAnn's.

*wants to know if Mith can get me a discount* That must be cool working there! I would get way to many ideas, if I was there! ;)

Seeing Dan try to be domestic with needles and thread is too frightening to comprehend! If I need help, I'll ask Mom or his mom. ;)

He helps around the house and does great, but not with needles and thread! He may hurt himself. :( Needles can be very sharp! ;)

Good night, everyone!

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:06 pm

Yep, sure I can get you a discount....all you have to do is take me with you when you go shopping ;). Alternately, you can come buy stuff at my store!

I mean, technically, the discount only extends to my household, but if I am physically present, then I can just technically buy the stuff and use my discount (I guess). I haven't really tried that yet, because the only people who come visit me at work are my family ;).

Jedi robes are way cool. I love yours, Undomiel! The first person I knew who made some was a TORCer, Magpie Jen. Some of her stuff is up on the Alleycat website. She was probably one of the first people on TORc to post links to pictures of herself, and it was as a Jedi - way cool! Then, one of my RL friends dressed as a Jedi for a skit, and it was such fun - I don't know where he got the outfit (didn't think to ask), but it was well done, and obviously made just for him.
And now, years later, I've finally made my own! Granted, they're not great, and if I had actually purchased the fabric, I would have picked different stuff. But, they still turned out well enough, and I did wear them in public and everything.
My family does have a digital camera, I just didn't think to ask anyone to take pictures of me. I have to do that at some point...and then figure out how to upload them and stuff ;).

You people have been so patient with me to listen to me talk about all these projects that I never let you see.....
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gwenare » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:51 pm

JoAnn's update! We found the fabric for the outer tunics that we wanted. It is lighter than some peoples but it is exactly what Dan and I were looking for. It is crinkled linen and the color is natural. I chose mine with small purple specks in it, just to be different! :)

We also found the perfect, I mean perfect fabric for the cloaks. It was dark brown, bottom weight cotton. Of course, they did not have enough for one cloak much less two! :( I made Dan write down the info on it while I stood in line to get our fabric cut. We are going to keep checking from time to time. They will have to get more in sometime! :)

I also found some different kinds of fabrics for my Elven dresses. I have some ideas, but I'm still not sure. I told Dan that I had a year to decide.

My mom came over tonight and gave me some excellent news! I have a sewing machine now! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: It is one of her old ones, that is still in excellent condition. I learned how to sew on it when I was younger. I used it a lot when I was in middle and high school. She thought she had already given it to me. She has it in her basement and I can go get it any time I want. :) :)

I'm so happy about that. I told Dan that I have to get through VBS and my 6 PowerPoint projects for work before I can begin on the costumes. I will keep everyone updated as I go along. Thanks for everything.

I did want to ask about the interfacing. I didn't know if I should use light or medium. I found some at JoAnn's, but I didn't know which to get. What do you think? I haven't used interfacing much, so I have no idea which to get.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:05 pm

*sneaks in, has nothing much to say*
Haven't used interfacing so I would not know which is better (just a wild guess that light but just because I imagine it would maybe become too bulky otherwise).

This week has really wrecked my sewing and reading schedule and all in all I haven't gotten a chance to do much of either, however the sewing-side has taken more losses. And I still do not know if I will make the inspired by Padme's Picnic Gown gown or I will use the coffee-coloured stuff for something else. The lack of a pattern for the shirt/underdress is what is hindering me partly in planning for I do not think I will pull off that one with just playing around and improvising.

Anyways, good luck to everyone on your projects! may you have more time to work on them than I. :roll::P

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:04 pm

Yay for the machine, Gwen! :happydance:

And for the interfacing, it depends on the project, I guess. I tend to use the same stuff for most things (I'm pretty sure it's lightweight)-- it just adds a little extra stability to some fabrics, like if you don't want it to get stretched out of shape or something. But I guess if you wanted it to be stiffer, the heavier stuff would be better.

Haven't been able to sew this weekend. Too busy partying. :P :wink: (In a good way, of course!)

Aurelin- is there any similar pattern that you might be able to adjust a bit? Maybe not even necessarily a costume one.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Alright, I cheated and bought a bodice at the Ren faire this weekend. I'm just really nervous about making one myself and I want to make sure I have one to wear next time I go and this one has embroidery. Also it's reversible.

I also got this gorgeous maile hairpiece thing and belt. I'll have to take some pictures so you guys can see!

Gwen, you don't have to wait for the brown fabric to come in. You can have them order it for you. So far I've always just used the same fabric for the interfacing. I don't think it really makes a difference. :wink:
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Gwenare » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll remember that about ordering the brown fabric. I'll get our tunics done and then go and check on it. I'll try the first tunic with the light interfacing. If I don't like it, I'll do Dan's with the medium. Thanks again!

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:54 pm

SMOR - I'm not sure, I need to check. The fact is that the Burdas I have at home are from like the start of 90s, and i cannot recall if that kind of slip-over-the-shoulders tops were in then but I vaguely recall seeing something of the kind in some sewing mag at home so I need to make a more thorough search.

undi - if something has embroidery on it, you need to get it for it is a crime to leave it at the store (especially if the thing itself costs a smaller amount than the fact that it has the embroidery-detailing on it would indicate)!
That's no cheating in my book! :D

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:05 pm

Well, I posted a few days ago and I see now that it was eaten.. stupid AOL.. grrrrrrrr :bang:

Trying to remember what I said, besides telling Gwen she could order the fabric from the store if she needed more (and I see someone else passed on the wisdom :))

Undomiel-- Cool! Please do take some piccies and post 'em! Luthy and I both have chainmaille headgear, and I have a belt.. they're lots of fun!

No sewing here.. just writing. Will be home Saturday and then I'm starting my corset!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:46 pm

I finished stuff! :happydance: I finished the seat covers for my car yesterday, and tonight I finished a shirt. I think. I still haven't tried it on yet to see if I actually like it on or if I need to do other stuff to it. :shock:

undomiel- yeah, embroidery's a pain. No shame in letting them do it for you. ;)

Sil- good luck on the corset!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth