Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:57 am

Yay for getting work done! :clap:

Well, I had to move all my sewing stuff out of the dining room where I've been working because we're having company... I know this is going to make me procrastinate more, because I'll have to move it all back when I want to sew, and I'm a lazy bum B^ I don't have all that much still to go, though, when I think about it... I can forgo a bunch of the things I was going to do. So I think I'll be fine. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:04 pm

To my surprise I even got some work done! :Q Must be a productive day. The other sleeve is now hemmed with the "fur" so that leaves the bottom and neckline. Plus the cords! =:) (for some reason I dread the latter).

Luthy, I hate modifying as well!

There's and invisible zipper foot? Hmm, I think I do not have one and that I used the one for the regular zippers. Which makes me wonder how I managed quite all right with the invisible variety! :shock:

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:26 pm

Yay Undomiel!!! Congrats on the job!! :)

And yay for gettign work done! :) I've put the grommets in my bodice.... the top is a bit too big, and the bottom a bit too small, but I think it will work. I have to sew the straps together now, and then it will be done!

...except for the trim. Mef.

Has anyone cartridge pleated? I'm going to try it on my skirt, and I'm not looking forward to it. What I'm most worried about is that after I do it, the skirt will be too short and I'll have to take out the hem.. mef mef mef. :P

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby undomiel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:17 pm

I have no idea what a catridge pleat is. Or an invisible zipper.

Well, first day on the job went alright. I couldn't do anything for the first hour though because I forgot my SS card which was in the strong box at home. I didn't have the car, my husband had taken it to work with him. So I sent my mother into my house to find it. Of course the strong box was still packed away so it took her forever to find it. And then... the key was locked inside the box with my SS card and every other document I could use. So she and my brother smashed it open with a hammer. Great first impression. :roll:

And I'm so not used to being on my feet for hours. My back is killing me. So I'm not going to do anymore sewing until tomorrow.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:48 pm

They needed your SS card? My boss asked for mine, but she said my driver's license was fine... *shrug*

And yeah, being on your feet for long periods of time is hard. And it hurts. Especially when you're wearing your sister's boots. :D

Glad your day went all right otherwise! :hug:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:06 am

:hug: undomiel! My knees are the parts of my body that suffer from the long standings (I still find it hard to believe I have 12 hour work-days! Book-stores in malls! :roll:)

I have not the slightest idea what a cartridge pleat is as well. :?

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:44 pm

Has anyone done applique on anything before?
My grandaughter wants flowers, butterflies etc, appliqued on her skirt but I'm not sure how to do it.
I've pieced designs into a quilt but that was different.
I don't know if I should do the whole piece and sew it on or sew on the pieces seperately.
I'm planning on doing the applique before I sew the pieces together.
Any ideas will be a help.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:44 pm

sorry clicked off before I was done..the job will get better it just takes awile..
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:46 am

I've done applique before, Borin. The way my mom taught me to do it (she's done lots of that) is to draw the design you want on the paper backing of this stuff that fuses two ways (the brand we use is called Heat n Bond, I think, I don't know if there's any other brands), fuse it paper-side up onto the wrong side of the fabric, cut out the design, peel away the paper, then iron it applique-side up onto the fabric. I hope that makes sense... then it just stays where you want it to while you stitch around the edges.

What's cartridge pleating? :?
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:22 pm

The way I've done applique was similar, but without the paper. I just cut out the pieces and pinned them on the fabric, and then used a buttonhole-type stitch over the edge. :) It worked quite well actually, and after a washing and a pulling-out-of-strings it doesn't fray anymore.
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:46 pm

SMOR...I checked on my search web..I have Yahoo..I typed in "cartridge pleat" and it popped up a whole tutorial on how to do it..it is a specific way to put a large amount of material on a small waist...

I'll have to try that..I never thought of putting it on fusible bonding. We're never too old to learn..

good luck on the job
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:37 pm

I have done applique as Luthy did - no middle layer and just the buttonhole stitch. Usually I mend worn out jeans like that! :P

Oooh, I am dead-tired. Two free days but I wonder whether I will get some costuming done. The miserable coat still needs its bottom hemmed and then the cords and then that is that! However, I also want to read a few books and I got my paycheck so some money-spending is in order as well! :roll:

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:53 pm

Cartridge pleating is the most historically accurate way to get a skirt onto the waistband (HA for Renaissance, that is..). Basically, you do a running stitch with a very strong thread (my directions say a 1/2" stitch), then gather the fabric.. you stitch the tops of the fabric waves to the top of the waistband and the bottoms to the bottom.. it causes the skirt to stick out slightly at the waist..

That probably made no sense. If I actually do it, I'll take some pictures and post them on the site. :)

I've never appliqued...sounds dangerous. :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:10 pm

I did that to my jeans too, Aurelin! :D

They were my favorite pair... I had blue and gold and green patches. :D Then I grew (outward not upward :P) and they don't fit anymore. B^

(Love your sig pic, by the way. :D)

I hate pleating in general, so I have decided I ain't even going to think about cartridge pleating my skirts. :D

I haven't gotten any work done for ages and I'm getting a wee bit nervous. I only have two weeks from today to get it done! :shock::shock: Oh well, I'll be home pretty much that whole time, so unless I get distracted I SHOULD be able to finish...
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:37 am

The jeans in question were my favourites as well. I appliqued some cut out flowers from another fabric onto them but in the end I wore out the patches as well so i had to throw away the jeans.

(Thank you! :D I think this pic might be at the moment my most favourite of Jenny's).

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:52 pm

I'm actually making progress on my costume! :happydance: Finally had some time to spend sewing this afternoon, so I took in the sides where I needed to, added the trim for the faux-belt thingy (which really makes it look a thousand times better in front) and hemmed the inner sleeves. So now I just need to hem both skirts and add the beadwork, if I decide to go that route. Maybe I should take a poll...
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:11 pm

Well, I successfully finished my husband's costume (tunic, short pants and vest) and we went to the Ren Fest in costume yesterday! In hindsight, I should have hemmed my skirt higher and made the waistline a little slimmer but other than that everything went really well. I shall have pictures up soon. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:01 pm

Can't wait to see the pictures, Undi :D

I love Jenny Dolfen's stuff, Aurelin. :):)

I worked on my costume some today. I boned the bodice (had to go to Lowe's to get more cable ties B^) and made the straps longer. The fit is just a wee bit strange since it was supposed to go much higher on the body, but since I eliminated the princess seams it's all right. I just have to put the lining and the outer part together now... I'm nervous. :shock: Then I have to line the sleeves and attach them... :| And then I have to hem my skirts and make a chemise. I think I can do it by next Friday, though! :horse:

I finally modified my corset completely. With my sister's help I got it on and it's perfect. :) I was wearing it over my huge Michigan shirt while I was sewing and it looked soooo funny... :rofl:

Yay for getting work done, smor! :D:D

By the way, Sil, the busks came, right? Do you think you could mail me mine so I can get it in the corset before the Ren Fest? I can mail you the money if you need it now or I can give it to you at the Ren Fest. :) Thankyou! :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:17 pm

I got some more work done today. :D The bodice is completely done, save for finishing the raw edges of the armholes and putting the hooks and eyes in. Then I have to make the sleeves and put buttonhole thingies to attach them. Then I have to make a chemise and hem the skirts, but hey! The hard part is done! :clap:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Congrats Luthy - getting the hard parts done is the most important phase! :d And the most good.

*chants quietly Undi's pictures, Undi's pictures* (:o and mine are still undeveloped! :Q I did however think of another thing - I could try using the webcam we have to take pics. They would not look fabulous but perhaps something could be made out.)

SMOR's Eowyn dress is also one thing I am dying to see, probably since I loved that one of hers the most in the movie and did (in a way) a version of it myself.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:34 pm

I got so much work done today! :D I think I'm going to finish the dress, save for the headcovering and the bag, tomorrow. :D

First, I made my chemise, and, since I needed some help to pin my skirts up and nobody was home and I couldn't work on anything else, I made a bum roll. I wasn't sure whether I was going to use it or not, though, and I've pretty much decided I'm not because it looks silly under my skirts. Then, I made the sleeves and lined them. I ended up having to do a couple of hours worth of hand sewing because I decided I was smarter than the pattern, and screwed something up. :|B^

Then my help came home, so I put on my chemise and my corset and my hoop skirt and she pinned the skirts up for me. I haven't actually hemmed them yet, but they're ready for tomorrow. Also she marked on my bodice the line where I need to put the hooks and eyes (it's not straight because the top part of the bodice was a little too big because of the way I modified it). Now, I just have to put the hooks and eyes on; hem the skirts; attach the sleeves to the bodice; and make a cap of some sort and a bag, and I'll be DONE. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:16 pm

:D - it all sounds very complicated Luthy, so a big big yey for being near the finish line!

Finally, finally I can report that I have hemmed the Eowyn coat and only need to put the cords on the arms and then I am done, done, done! :happydance: I do not even want to think how long I have been making this one!
Edit. The cords made the upper arms look bulky, I guess since it was thicker and two layers of cloth than the simple one layer Eowyn Refugee chemise. So I decided to go without the cords which means I am truly D-O-N-E!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:35 pm

:clap: Aurelin!

Well, my dress (and all and sundry accessories) is 100% done! :D Unless I decide to add anything else, it's completely done. All the finishing and trimming and everything. I took pictures but I am too lazy to put them up right now... :P And I'll probably get better ones at the Ren Fest anyway. I'm happy with it though... it's very pretty.

The only wee problem is footwear... I don't have any even vaguely accurate shoes, and they're way too expensive for me. Actually... I do have one pair of red shoes covered in silk that are VERY accurate, but they're very uncomfortable and my feet would die, plus they're covered in pretty beading that's not accurate at all. B^ I'm not going to take the beading OFF, though!! So I think I might end up with my leather boots... it's not like you'll see them under my dress anyway. ;) They make me so hot though... B^

Re head covering: I decided to go with a simple caul (clicky). It turned out pretty well and stays on my head much better than I expected. I also made my bag and finished everything else off.

:)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:48 am

Yay for getting all these projects done!! Can't wait to see pictures, Luthy and Aurelin!! :)

Well, I got my dress back from the store and dismantled it, so now I'm in the process of cartridge pleating.. I did 3/4 of it last night and decided it looked pretty bad, so I took it out and am trying it again, with a slightly different technique. We'll see. :P

Also making a dress for a friend--one week to get it done... *sigh* There goes all my spare time. Oh well...

I think I'm going to wear tennis shoes under my dress... no one will be able to see them.. :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Ah yes, the ever-present footwear problem! I suffer from it as well. They do sell nice beaded shoes here but I keep thinking that the beading/sequin-ing will snag on the hem. Don't know? One colleague of mine has that kind of shoes and she said they do not snag but... Luthy - how about your shoes?

Caul seems like something that does not stay on the head, so :clap: for managing to coax it to, Luthy!

Good good luck with the pleating, Sil!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Mine don't catch on the hem at all. They actually look really gorgeous with the dress because sometimes they peek out when I have to lift my skirts and they match the dress really nicely. I've already packed them away but I'm considering getting them out and walking in them for an hour or so to see if they absolutely kill my feet. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:29 pm

I just wore simple black leather sandals because I was at the point of not caring anymore. ;) I was going to buy some shoes online, but I forgot. :roll:

Well, in the two weeks since I've worked at Joann's I've spent quite a bit of money. I justify it by reminding myself that nearly everything I've bought was on sale and I probably would have bought the stuff eventually anyway. 8) I've decided to make Luthien some clothes for the fall. Oh and I'm going to make her a cute little cape to go with the Christening dress out of some furry fleece. And I'm probably going to make all three of us pajamas and robes. And I bought new material for the dining room curtains. It's a gorgeous paisley print that was on sale for $6 a yard! That's really good for home dec fabric. I also got a ton of home dec fabric for $5 a yard to make my mother some slip covers for her couches for Christmas. They're a floral print that she hates. So I've got projects enough to last me a lifetime. :shock: I'd better get sewing.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:10 pm

Yay for having lots of projects, Undi! :D Now, first project -- show us those pictures! ;):P
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:10 pm

Garb is done!!!!

...well, not quite. I still have to make the handbag, adjust about 8 inches of the hem right in front, and sew down the second half of the clasp that holds the skirt on. But, essentially, it's done. Done enough for pictures, which are up at the site!!!

The cartridge pleats nearly killed my fingers--I used band-aids for thimbles, and they soaked up the blood when they failed at thimbleness! :D

Also.. A picture of the cross I'll be wearing around my waist and ...well... tee hee :D

Wow, Undomiel. :shock: :D You sound like me.. I just bought another three yards of random fabric this morning.. bad Sil!

And get those pictures up!! :P

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:31 pm

Yay Sil, Luthy and Undi for getting all that stuff done!!

Been making decent progress on the Eowyn dress thingy. I've got the outer dress completely hemmed, and am in process of putting the beads around the sleeves. (Since it's taking so long, I've decided to just add a few to the belt too and leave it at that.) And then I just need to hem the underskirt and it's done.

And it never fails... I had just determined that I'm going to stop buying fabric and getting stuff for new projects until I get all the in-the-works projects completely done. Because I've got waaaaaaaaay too many of them sitting around, waiting to be sewed together. And then I realized I may need to make something else to wear over my pirate shirt, because the weather here is way too hot right now for me to wear my Jack Sparrow-ish pirate coat from last year without keeling over and dying. And of course, I need to get this done by Saturday, since that's when Pirate Day at the Faire is. :bang:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth