Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:37 am

Pretty dress, smor!

Well, I'm done with the pirate costume for my boyfriend! (Except for a few more buttonholes on the coat, but that shouldn't take me more than 20 minutes or so). There's pants (with a fun closure :P), a shirt, a vest, and the coat. I did almost all of it in the past two days. B^ Now I have to make an inaccurate Renaissance-style dress for another friend before Saturday... :P
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Harvestar » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought y'all would like to see the pictures of my wedding dress (based on Eowyn's white wool dress). A friend made the dress taking pieces from several patterns. Our modifications were to make it princess cut (since that looked better on me), square neckline (for the necklace), and without the undersleeve. (it was June in Arizona!) The fabric was a lovely polyester shantung - it had the look of the silk fabrics, but not the price and just enough sheen to be "bridal". In looking for fabric we found the cool fabric store in town with the nice fabrics. :) My seamstress friend (who's actually just a science teacher) took 3 different sleeve patterns and put them together, along with reshaping the bottom of the sleeve to make it lay better.

And it's really fun to swing dance in!! I want her to make me a second dress in this same pattern but that's a different color to wear to Ren Faire and stuff. :)

Here's some dress pictures:
front view:
http://karenpatrick.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=Image00043_001
side view:
http://karenpatrick.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=Image00040_001
Portrait view with sleeves doing their cool pattern:
http://karenpatrick.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=Image00047_001
Dress trim all shiny in the sun:
http://karenpatrick.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=Image00078_001

All the pictures are here:
http://karenpatrick.myphotoalbum.com/
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:19 pm

First allow me to congratulate you and Glorfie! :hug:
Secondly - wow, what a lovely dress! The sleeves just wooed me but all else is wonderful about it of course too. Very very beautiful. Aren't we lucky to be able to make things like these for the most important days of our lives...provided, I'll be able to put my skills to the exact use after I find a man first of course! :P

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:49 pm

I agree with Aurelin - love the sleeves!

And CONGRATS! I wish you and your hubby many happy returns :)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 am

I've moved that much closer to finally sewing something again that I took the pattern of the coat I shall make of the black velvet. It is this one, a redingote from Burda but I'll skip the cuffs and will probably do the belt thing around the whole wait to make it look a little another coat of Fai's.
It was pretty tough to trace and cut out on paper so I left the actual cutting out to tomorrow or maybe Sunday.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Well, I finished my sister's wedding present. It was a wrap/cover-up type thing. A blue, satiny fabric (but it was delicate and frayed like a brocade) - started royal blue at the top and faded to a deep indigo at the bottom...which had golden butterflys on it (4 in. along the bottom, only). I used some of the butterfly stuff as trim down both sides, and a robin-egg blue satin (from the bridesmaid dresses, actually) as the edging and tie. Based vaguely on the outfit Keira was wearing at the end of the Third Pirates movie, but with some practical considerations ;). I'm not explaining this very well, but I don't have any pictures, sorry.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 am

but with some practical considerations

:P
The wrap sounds very lovely, the fabric and colours, butterflies...so sweet!

I braved velvet fuzz on Sunday (though I was half-certain I won't) and basted the coat together - it looked really cool in the back with those three folds. Once I will feel brave enough again, I'll get the work done on it on the machine. :)

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

Aww, too bad you don't have pics, Mith. It sounds really nice.

I've been sewing, just nothing exciting to report on that front. I've spent many hours quilting the lining for the winter coat I'm making, and have only gotten half done with it so far.

The exciting thing I DO have to report is, I get to go to a runway show at Olympus Fashion Week on Saturday. 8)
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:15 pm

So, SMOR, how was it?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:31 am

My modest progress on the coat has taken me to the body sewn, sleeves basted on but I do not like the result (in every Burda coat pattern I have taken the sleeves are too wide initially) so that needs tweaking which I am putting off in fear of velvet fuzz.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:16 pm

I need help.

I'm making a messenger bag for myself out of faux leather. It's a very dark brown and has a pattern that makes it look like it's woven. Anyway, I'm trying to decide what to line it with. I've narrowed it down to two options: a plain turquoise wool or a solid red batik with Egyptian figures on it. Any opinions?
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm voting for the red.

And I've been sewing... I just had to start the coat over. So maybe I'll start sewing it together again tomorrow. :roll:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:04 am

My vote is for the red too, because of the Egyptian figures. :)

I confess, I've not sewn at all. I fear the fuzz and that makes me incabable of taking it out of the bag...and of course it has gotten too cold for a velvet coat with no warm lining here already and so there is no strong incentive if I cannot wear it....I can only hope to come upon some really inspiring costumes from a movie or a manga soon...

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm studying abroad and couldn't bring my sewing machine--although there is an ancient Singer here!--so I haven't been sewing, either.

Undi--Depends on how dark the red is. Turquoise would lighten up the insides (and possibly make it easier for you to find your stuff), but Egyptian figures are always fun! Yay me and being indecisive. :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby undomiel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:49 am

I'm leaning toward red too. It's not a dark red. But there are so many other things I could do with the wool and I can't really think of anything else to use the batik for. There's not a lot of it.

MEanwhile, I'm also working on pajamas for Maedhros and Halloween costumes. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:14 am

Sil wrote:I'm studying abroad

Where, is I may ask! :) Are you enjoying it, is it what you hoped for, etc etc?

Halloween costumes! What are they going to be this time?

I've been so busy with reading and thinking about new ideas to write and watching anime, that I have not sewn one bit :o.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Luthien is going easy on me this Halloween. At first she kept changing her mind: Kitty, fairy, princes, pirate. And then she wanted to be a fairy pirate kitty. But now she's decided to be Dora the Explorer. So the costume is just pink t shirt, orange shorts, purple backpack and black wig. So I'm making Maedhros into Boots the monkey. It should be cute. I still haven't decided what I'm going to wear though.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Aww, but a fairy pirate kitty would have been so funny! :rofl:

Speaking of fairies... guess what I'm working on right now? I'm playing in a Halloween concert for a music school I teach at, and we're supposed to dress up, and I found these fairy wings for half off at Joanns. So I thrifted some fabric yesterday and will be making myself a fairy skirt. And a top if I have time, so I can wear something funkier for the party that just happens to be the same night. 8)

Also, still sewing that coat. At least it's finally starting to work!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:10 am

I found a fabric store!!!!! I knew Rome wasn't completely bonkers! :P Don't know if I'll actually buy anything, but it's nice to know it's there!

So yeah, I'm in Rome. It's been great so far--my one class is a giant field trip! :D Just got back from S. Nicola in Carcere, or rather, the Roman temple foundations underneath it. :P

Undi-- Fairy pirate kitty! :rofl:

Aurelin--Where are you, again? I could come visit you some weekend! :)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Estonia :).
It is very great to hear that you are having a good time in Rome...and found a fabric store to top it off! :P

Fairy pirate kitty! Ooh, good idea.

*hangs her head in shame...yet again* I've still not sewn anything. Right now I don't have the energy to fight the velvet. Funny, but autumn and velvet do not mix for me, last year I left the winter coat I was making where I got with it and I've done nothing on it since.
Maybe I'll knit something instead, there is this green yarn that has been waiting for years for me to make something of it.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 am

Sil, you're in Rome! I'm so jealous! I only got to visit there briefly several years ago on my trip to Italy. We never did find our way to the Sistine Chapel. Especially since we were shown out of the Vatican after some very immature, male and not to mention stupid members of my group were mocking the Swiss guards. They didn't think they would be able to understand English. :roll:

Halloween was successful! The Dora and Boots costumes turned out well. Though whenever someone asked Luthien if she was Dora she would say, "No, I'm Luthien dressed up as Dora." Our daughter likes subtle distinctions. MAedhros slept most of the time. I didn't get any close pictures of their costumes last night so I'll have to dress them up again to get clearer pictures to post. Maedhros was just so cute!
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Sunsilver » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:13 am

Ahem! Excuse me for interrupting, but when I saw undomeil's name here, I wanted to let her know we'd just been talking about her and Nazgul_Lord over in the "For the Fallen But Not Forgotten of TORC" thread. I was wondering if she and Nazzy might like to pop over there briefly and say "Hi!"

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... &start=810

Sounds like Halloween went really well, undomeil! I'll have to drop by again when you've got the pictures up! :)
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:59 pm

OH I am so excited to run across this sewing/costuming thread! I never knew this was here! ::Dances::

Harvestar... you look lovely in your wedding dress & all the trimings. I am guessing you live in the Tucson area?

Well, I have a 'hobbit' costume that I've made.. a matching one for me & my daughter... but I am considering making several more costumes... maybe rennaisance style but with a middle earthish flair. I just bought a whole bunch of patterns & I haven't decided what to start on first.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:05 am

Yay patterns! Now we need to combine your pattern stash with my fabric stash and we'll be unstoppable! BWAAAHAHAHAH!! :evilaugh:

*ahem* That is to say, welcome to the thread!! :) We'd love to see some pictures of you and your daughter's Hobbit costumes if you have them!

Back to the US on Monday, and then I'm headed to the fabric store to get stuff for a cosplay of Toph from Avatar. Not sure what I'm gonna do about her hair poofy thingy, but... :P
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:06 pm

Welcome, from me as well!
The one feeling so so guilty for now sewing for SO long. Partly I fault the Christmas rush that makes anything but work too tiring to do; partly laziness; there is a little of uninspiredness and some other things monopolizing my time (movie watching for example).

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:35 am

GwenElf & Aurelin.. thanks for the welcome!

That would be fun to combine pattern/fabric stash & create! I must say my fabric stash is woeful. There just aren't good fabric stores around here. It's mostly calico-stuff for quilting. :cry2:

undomiel... fairy pirate kitty!! LOL! I draw/paint & here is a small pirate squirrel Rum jug I made for a friend of mine who is into squirrels & was in the play 'Pirates of Penzance' Image

I have pictures of my daughter in her costume(s) but I don't know about me.. I am not thrilled to have my pic taken.. and I am usually the one taking the pictures! I'll have to look around
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:08 am

Pirate squirrel!!!!!!!! That's adorable!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: (And Pirates of Penzance is awesome, I must say. :D) Do you do commissions? One of my friends would love one of those.

Went to the fabric store yesterday--I missed fabric stores! Got a few samples for colour references, but neither of the fabrics is quite right...
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:40 am

Hi all! I've been making 17thC stays for the past 3 months - handsewing all those little channels for the whalebone (or in my case, willow) to go through. (Re-enactment kit). They are made to a pattern taken from a 1590 pair of stays - handsewn in linen and wool, using 100% linen thread, and linen braid. Not pretty - just functional. It seems a bit soul destroying spending months on making foundation garments that will never show but it makes a HUGE difference to how the authentic clothes hang, over the foundation stuff.

Also been knitting a copy of the Gunnister stockings - some 17thC stockings found on a body in Scotland, and analysed in Richard Rutt's 'The History of Hand- Knitting'. There's no pattern but his description's so detailed, I knitted from it! Have started handspinning wool to make a next pair out of handspun. And my third bit of re-enactment kit in progress is a blackwork coif (white linen 17thC hat with black silk embroidery on). I chose the motifs from a 17thC book someone's reprinted - flowers, bees and snails. I tend to embroider at the rate of one motif a session and probably have only done half of it, so far. By the end of January I hope to make a waistcoat (bodice) from wool I hand-dyed with madder. Camera's bust at the moment but will hopefully photograph things in the New Year when we get a new digital camera!
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:45 am

Hehe, pictures are good, though I never have any, either ;). It sounds like a lot of work, but I imagine having good stays would make a huge difference. I'm half tempted to make myself a good corset instead of going to the gym...but it'd probably be healthier not to! :P

That's beautiful, Rose, and I've always liked Pirates of Penzance too :D.

Going to make a simple cape for my cousin (and her doll) today. That's about the extent of my Christmas present projects this year. I'll make some mirrors for some friends, but that is sandblasting, not sewing...it can be done after Christmas, too.

Any one else have crafty projects for Christmas presents?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:09 am

Wheeeew, MrsSmeagol! That certainly does sound like a lot of work! :clap::clap: for having the patience to do things authentically--I think I'd lose my marbles hand-sewing stay channels. :D

Looked at some of the projects I have sitting on my desk this morning and just wasn't feeling the sewing.. plus, the one I might have worked on still needs lining fabric, and a new pattern since I noticed I bought the wrong size. :roll: Yay Sil...
GwenElf
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth