Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:28 pm

MrsSmeagol.. that's quite a lot of work! Do you belong to some type of guild or group that attends faires? If so.. is it for pleasure (hobby) or profit (crafter?). I have been considering joining the local Society for Creative Anachronism in which you attempt to dress authentically to period and learn various arts/skills/crafts as they were done in a certain time period. I love costuming.. but I am not sure if I have what it takes to be so detailed in such an authentic way.. I mean, spinning your own wool!! :shock: You go girl!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Harvestar » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the compliments on the dress. It was fun to be involved in making it, even though I didn't actually sew it.

I only do small sewing things, but I want to take a class to learn more. And get a good book to help out. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sewing reference book?
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Ooooh, sewing books. Afraid I can't help you there; I learned to sew from a combination of "home ec" in Junior High, my mom, and trial and error. However, I'm sure if you went to a fabric store, they'd be able to point you towards a good one, and offer sewing classes, too.

Good luck! Do keep us posted on how it goes! :)

In other news, my elven shirt has been nominated for a WCA award, so you should all go vote for it! ;)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby undomiel » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I have a "Simply the Best Sewing Book" or something like that by simplicity that I use for reference sometimes. I find the pictures and the easy explanations useful. Mostly though I figure things out for myself. As a person who previously wouldn't touch arts and crafts with a very long stick I found that it really isn't that hard to pick up sewing from just doing it. I also find that pattern directions make much more sense when you read them aloud very slowly.

Well, I haven't done any sewing in a long time. My project lately has been sorting and packing away my tremendous amounts of fabric into bins and putting them in the basement. Maedhros finally has his room to himself.

I've come up with an awesome idea for Luthien's birthday though. She wants very badly to be a fairy and in particular she wants to wake up in a flower every morning. So I'm thinking of buying a plain sheet and sewing a large satin flower onto it so that she can wake up on it every morning. I'll probably have to get help from my mother to help design the pattern pieces. It should be really cool.

In other news, I was going to spend the winter finally making myself a really cool dress from LOTR, but it's happened again. I'm pregnant. I swear it's the last. So my expanding middle is thwarting my plans. Perhaps next year... And yes, we'll be using another Tolkien name no matter how hard my mother tries to dissuade me. :wink:
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Congrats, undomiel! I was happy to see your name here, and thought, I wonder how she's doing with two little ones underfoot? Apparently, quite well! That flower idea sounds awesome for Luthien.

Tolkien names are of course wonderful. I'd love to hear what you're considering! Can you appease your mom with the middle name, at least ;)?

And the relationships could become problematic, if the kids ever read the Silmarillion:

Luthien: Apparently, my father didn't like your family very much.
    Maedhros: Hey! My brother killed your son! Or did your son kill my brother?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Actually, funny you should mention it. I was telling Luthien the story behind their names one day. She never minded when someone died, but got VERY upset when someone lost a hand.

:roll:

For a girl, I'm pretty set on Elbereth. I would really like Gilthoniel too, but my husband wants the middle name to be Mary. He's humored me so far so I figure I better let him have it.

Boy's names are much harder. You could name a girl anything and get away with it, but a boy can't have a name that's too weird or he will probably get beat up. I was considering Paul Muad'dib from Dune, that way at least the weird name would only be a middle name and I LOVE the Dune books. But if we have a boy so close in age to Maedhros I am strongly compelled to name him Fingon. It would be so perfect. We'll see which one wins. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:49 pm

:hug: Congratulations, Undi! To you and Nazzy! Wow, that's really awesome!
But are you sure you want to let the naming-monsters at it again ;)?! LOL!
Elbereth is very very lovely, even without Gilthoniel.

But if we have a boy so close in age to Maedhros I am strongly compelled to name him Fingon. It would be so perfect.

I agree, of course I like Finrod as a name and a character a lot too :).

Edit on Thursday.
Oh, I managed to sew something, even if it was two seams to attach lace to the front edges of a shirt. The buttons need to be sewn back on too for I had to cut them off to do the one seam.

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:12 pm

I think Fingon and Finrod are both good. And I think "Finn" is an Irish name in it's own right, so it wouldn't even be that weird!

Oh, and congrats, Sil on your WCA win!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:19 am

undomiel wrote:

I've come up with an awesome idea for Luthien's birthday though. She wants very badly to be a fairy and in particular she wants to wake up in a flower every morning. So I'm thinking of buying a plain sheet and sewing a large satin flower onto it so that she can wake up on it every morning. I'll probably have to get help from my mother to help design the pattern pieces. It should be really cool.

In other news, I was going to spend the winter finally making myself a really cool dress from LOTR, but it's happened again. I'm pregnant. I swear it's the last. So my expanding middle is thwarting my plans. Perhaps next year... And yes, we'll be using another Tolkien name no matter how hard my mother tries to dissuade me. :wink:

Oh how lovely to have a little princess (Luthien) *sigh* My little girl (her name is Rose) is 17 (Where has the time gone?!) so cherish those little precious ones!! I wish I could help you with the bed-flower thing -that type of project is right up my alley!

And congratulations on your pregnancy.. I was lucky to have the one child I have (wanted more, but oh well) so cherish them..even if you have to put off making your dress. And I agree with Mithluin.. Finn is a nice name. Different..but not too much so.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi everyone! I know I vanished for a good long while -- I was in semi-retirement -- but I think I'm mostly back now. :) I'll read what I missed shortly; in the meantime, tell me about your projects! :D

And Undi -- glad to hear Maedhros is doing well, and CONGRATULATIONS about the third little one!!!! :hug::hug:

I haven't been doing much costuming or any sewing unfortunately, but I have been knitting quite a bit. I made three hats, two for Tim and one for myself, and I have two more to make -- but right now I'm in the middle of making a gorgeous sweater. Here is a link to a bad picture of the sweater in question, and here is the yarn I'm using, a kid mohair/silk blend in lace weight -- what do you guys think? It's pretty much the softest thing I've ever felt, and easy to knit, too. I think it's going to be beautiful, and I'm really enjoying myself. :D It's about half done, I think.
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks. :D

Well, I finally did a little sewing the other day. I re-hemmed a pair of pants that have been sitting in my to do pile forever. And I sewed together a no sew fleece throw blanket set. I don't normally like those sets, but this one had the original star wars art printed on it and I had to get it for my husband. OF course, in my opinion, just sewing the two sides together is alot easier than cutting out all those stupid strips and tying them together. :wink:

The blanket somehow ended up on Luthien's bed. Most of the time she thinks star wars is too scary (darth vader anyway) but for some reason she loved the blanket.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Harvestar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:03 pm

undi, that's really cool! Where did you find the fleece set? (star wars fans here too)

I need to sew some flair pants for my bellydance recital and I've never sewn knit before. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:38 pm

GwenElf wrote:Edward Elric is a character from Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a really simple coat except for the alchemist motif on the back. But yeah, my sister and I decided we wanted Ed coats. :D

I found this browsing through the older parts of this thread (from about the time Maedhros was born ;)). Sil, my FMA obsession is now officially all your fault - you introduced me to it!

(At least, I'm pretty sure this was the first time I ran across it....)

Actually, I have to thank you - the series is great.

And I'm going to start by making myself a Trisha Elric outfit for Saturday. It should be pretty simple.

I thought I had some lavender linen-blend laying around, but I can't find it. :roll:

Did you ever make the Ed coats? They look like they'd be fun to have....
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:39 am

Yay, Trisha! :)

And yes, we did make Ed coats! Well, I made one. I think my sister wants one in weird colours, but she hasn't picked out any fabric yet, so... Here it is! Wore it to the mall one day, and some girl practically tackled me in her excitement. :D

Speaking of cosplaying, in addition to Toph from Avatar, I'm also doing Zefiris from Scrapped Princess. Now to find a blue wig...

Undi-- Dunno if I've congratulated you yet, so CONGRATULATIONS!!! :hug:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:02 pm

I feel so so bad for now sewing for a long time, although I have made small things by knitting and crochet - a scarf for a friend, a small 2D rabbit for a co-worker, that kind of things but I do miss the excitement of finding something to make that I absolutely just had to do. My time has been eaten up by other things at the moment and I have not stumbled on that absolutely-necessary-to-make item.

Wore it to the mall one day, and some girl practically tackled me in her excitement

:rofl:

Mith, have fun with the Trisha costume! :)

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:28 am

Good luck finding a wig for that! Past your knees, blue/purple, with layered bangs can't be that common....

The closest I know of is THIS, which loses on all counts ;). Or maybe this one, though it's waaaaay too short.

It is a cool outfit, though - it looks like it will be fun to make (if a bit challenging with those shoulder things....)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:15 pm

MithLuin wrote:Good luck finding a wig for that! Past your knees, blue/purple, with layered bangs can't be that common....

The closest I know of is THIS, which loses on all counts ;).

:rofl: That's #1 on my list. I'm planning to get it in white, cut bangs for it, and then dye it.

Going to a costume shop tomorrow, though, to see what they've got.

Sounds like we're all kinda behind on the sewing these days. Shame on us!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:03 am

I took myself to hand today and finally sewed something. This dress has been waiting for about half a year, I made it in black and Ive not yet decided what colour to make the belt and band of. I got stuck when (after having taken the pattern according to my size) the upper part was too big for me and it was not so easy to take it in because of the loops for the belt that I would then have to redo as well. Therefore it waited and waited, then it got too cold for the material anyway...and then it waited some more.
However, today I decided that I HAD to sew something and that was the obvious choice since of the dropped projects I have around the flat at the moment, this one interests me the most.
So I took it in, made two new loops and also sewed the buttonholes (not my greatest skill, so I was dreading it). I might start working on the sleeves and collar or might not but I have made a start and with a two-week holiday coming up in March, I should finish it by the end of it at least.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:15 pm

That looks like a cute dress! Good luck with finishing it.... I hate projects I drop for so long.... (I have a shirt and a skirt that I cut out, and then never got around to sewing, for some reason.)

I made my Trisha costume on Friday. It went something like this....

Get home from work. Find out that the fabric I thought I had doesn't exist - I *did* have a pretty lavender linen-like fabric...but it had tulips embroidered on it. Very nice, but not terribly helpful!

So, I got to run to the fabric store. And they were having a sale, so there was about an hour wait at the cutting counter. I should know better, but oh well. I got a lovely crepe-back satin because it was half price and I could use the wrong side for my dress and get insta-lining ;).

I had sketched out what I wanted to make, and worked out all the measurements, but since I had to hang out in the store for an hour anyway, I found a pattern that would work for $1. It was three panels each front and back, with princess seams (not my favorite, but hey, it worked), and no buttons or zippers or anything like that. Usually I'd be worried about it looking like a shapeless bag, but I knew I was tying an apron over it, so no worries.

So, here's the time table.

8:30 PM: Begin cutting out pattern. I had to alter the shoulders and the length, but pretty straightforward. Wish I'd had a bigger pair of scissors.
10 PM: Begin cutting out fabric. Say goodnight to parents.
11:15 PM: Plug in sewing machine
2 AM: Realize that it is difficult to adjust a hem by yourself; decided to go to bed and wait til morning. Leave dress on hanger.
7:30 AM: Get up. My dad jokes that elves must have come in the night and made a dress. I ask him to pin my hem for me. Being a good sport, he does. In return, I let him practice his sermon on me.
Thrilled to be finished the dress, I do something for my sister for her b-day.
Then I remember that I haven't made the apron yet, and it is suddenly 8:45. I get started, managing to finish, put on my outfit, pack an overnight bag, (sorta) clean up, and get out the door by 10 AM. Whew!

I must say that crepe-back satin is *wonderful* to work with. It didn't give me any problems at all. I managed to make most of the dress without rethreading the needle, replacing the bobbin, or tearing out seams. Well, for the first one, I was stupid and forgot that right side of the dress was wrong side of the fabric, but that was my fault ;).

I have one of those pincushions that has a wrist strap on it, but I've never used it like that before. I strapped it on for the evening, and it was awesome how much easier that made it to keep track of pins!

I was very, very lucky it was such a simple thing to make. I am obviously not terribly fast at sewing, and if anything had gone wrong or if I'd had to do anything more complicated I would have *died*

It was worth it, though. No one took my picture (as I said, it's a pretty simple outfit!), but I did have some people recognize me and some Eds came up and hugged me :) Also, I was the only one, so that was cool.

And this was the first time I've sewn since *September*! (Well, except for a little cape for my cousin for Christmas).
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:00 pm

I've done small projects and large ...no.. HUGE projects.. but I cannot fathom how in the world those designers on 'Project Runway' get their outfits made in the limited time they have.

Right now I have a pile of mending to do before I think of sewing anything new.... although I had thought of making my daughter a prom gown.. but when I saw what she wanted I knew it would probably cost me more, or almost as much, to make it as to buy it. And save myself a lot of headaches about 'getting it right'.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:31 pm

w00t! Go Mith! :clap: Which con were you at on Saturday?

And your dad pinned your hem for you? :shock: Wow. I have enough trouble getting Mom to pin mine, let alone Dad! :D

Got fabric for my Toph outfit and some for Zefiris, and also a Toph wig. Should be really cool once I get it styled correctly. (First I need a Styrofoam head, or something..)

Been doing some embroidery, but nothing else yet. Research paper first, yay.... :P
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Mith, it sounds like it came out great! :D

Sil -- pictures of the wig?! :D

I haven't been sewing (still), but I've been knitting up a storm. Recently I made this hat for my boyfriend. It's cabled really nicely (I am referring to the pattern not my mad knitting skillz :P) which you can't see very well in this picture:

I also made this hat for myself with really fun butterfly stitches!:

Then I made this hat, my first attempt at knitting lace, for my roommate from last year who is in England right now.

ALSO, I made my little sister this kitty and made my boyfriend a bunch of little hearts like this one for Valentine's day and made for myself this tiny elephant:

And I've still been working on my sweater which looks like this currently:

And now I'm working on a pair of socks -- never made socks before! I was making a crazy complicated lace pattern but I got tired of it after about an inch, as cool as it looked, and ended up tearing it all out and starting over with a simpler pattern. I still want to use that lace pattern for something though! I also have some soy wool coming for a head band tomorrow, and sometime this week I should have some natural cotton coming for a lace blanket. ALSO, I have a few skeins of nice dusky rose I want to make a chemise or something out of.

I've been pretty busy. :P
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:23 pm

KNIT KITTY!!!!!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! *hyperventilates*

Want.

:D

I also looooove the lace hat! Now I feel inspired to go learn how to knit lace... hmm......
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby MithLuin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Katsucon

All that knitting looks awesome, Luthy! I have to agree, the kitty is pretty sweet. Good luck with the socks.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Holy Knitting Needles! :shock: Luthien.. that's quite the yarn-tastic you have going there. I especially like the 'butterfly' stiches and the kitty :heart: The only knitting I have done is on a loom. I am not too talented in that department (or maybe it's a lack of patience :P )
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 am

So much lovely stuff! :)
Mith, I am glad that you got the costume done and in such a short while! it's especially great that you were the only Trisha at the Con, that made it even more special.

Sil - have fun with the wig :P.

What fun hats, Luthy! I like them all, perhaps the butterfly stitches-one the most but they are all great. Oh, and the cat and the elephant are the cutest! *considers stealing*

Oh, of course I have knitted something too - a scarf for my friend, whose birthday is on the 28th. It is of simple leaf-green but I threaded some different tone green ribbons to both ends.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Dubatuluk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Well, long time no enter for me here. :P

I've got the sewing bug again, but am in no position to do anything about it. (I need to get my new house unpacked and organized first. :roll: )

But, in the sewing mood usually means something wayyy out of my league, like, say...corsets, or, Civil War gowns. :P I was looking up corset patterns and stuff, and I found This
and This
and This

Really disturbing in my opinion. But, the ladies' things are nice, and they have amazing supplies for DIY underthings of many types. Needless to say, I'll probably be drooling over this for a while until my house is in better sewing shape. :P

I love the hats Luthy! *is jealous of mad knitting skillz* :P And your boyfriend's hair is gorgeous! :love: *is jealous of that too*

:lol:

*waves to everyone*

Hi all! :D
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Dubatuluk funny you should mention civil war gowns...

I have made a few of those in my day.. back BEFORE they had patterns for them in McCalls & Simplicity. It seems like most of the things I end up sewing I have had to improvise or struggle through making on my own.

Recently I thought about making my daughter a prom gown because we are having a difficult time finding what she would like at less than a small fortune. I was surprised when I looked at the patterns because judging from the measurement sizes I would have to make my daughter a size 16 gown!?! :shock: She normally wears a Missy 8 or a Junior 9. Does anyone know if these patterns run ridiculously HUGE and am I going to end up having to alter it wayyyy down, or do the patterns run small? I was looking at something simple like a McCalls 5321

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5321 ... dal&page=1

and then doing some heavy embroidery/beading work on it.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:55 pm

That's weird...I don't know why you would have to make a size 16 for her...Unfortunately I haven't had much experience with McCall's patterns. I much prefer the Simplicity ones.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:44 pm

:shock: If she wears a Junior 9, I have a feeling she'd be swimming in a 16. I've never made a gown, but I have had patterns come out ridiculously large before. I'd suggest doing a mock-up of just the bodice area to give you an idea.. or even just pin the pattern pieces together. (Then again, once you cut the pattern pieces out, you're stuck with it... :P)

Dubs-- That is disturbing. Poor little bodice-wearing kids...
GwenElf
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth