Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby undomiel » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:28 am

I tried to start on the shirt for the Rennaisance costume last night but everything went wrong! :x

I actually read the directions through ahead of time so I would know what I was doing, but it took me forever just to thread the stupid machine. I swear it comes up with a new way to make things difficult for me every time I sew! Then I realized that I did not have single fold bias tape in white. So I stomped off in a huff until my husband reminded me that the last time they had me use the tape to make a casing for elastic, it wasn't wide enough. So I decided to have another go and cut my own out from the fabric. Well, no matter what I did I couldn't cut it evenly until I realized that the top of my ironing board (where I was attempting this) is checked and so I used the squares as a standard for where to cut the material. So I get my first pieces pinned together and sit down to sew and do you know what happens next??? The thread came out dirty. :shock:

By the time my husband had cleaned it out for me (because I was too frustrated at that point) I had had enough. Maybe I'll try again today. :roll:

Anyway, did I mention that we got matching wooden swords at the Ren fest too? They're so cool! We got Luthien a dagger too. She loves to sword fight. As the man who made them said, "The family that slays together stays together." :D
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 pm

undi - :hug:, that's all I think I can say/do. That kind of days are :evil: and you hung on for real long, I'd have thrown the shirt into a corner long before.

"The family that slays together stays together."

:lol:

:clap: for SMOR! You are industrious! :):P

Well, I did a bit of sewing today, so to speak. I cut the fake fur into "ribbons" to hem the coat but then I needed to write a letter and go to a concert so there the progress was halted as well. I am delaying finishing this project, it seems!

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:53 pm

undomiel wrote:"The family that slays together stays together." :D

:rofl: !

Awwww, sorry the sewing didn't go well, Undomiel! We all have days like that--I flopped on my bed and cried one day because the shirt I was making was going so badly... *sigh* It'll go better next time, I'm sure! :hug:

Luthy says hi! I say hi! HI!!! :)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Ketha-Baranduin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:48 pm

sorry I havn't been here for some time, but my comp was fried by lightening on the 4th.

:lightening:

I havn't been doing much except planning to make a T-shirt that says I demand satisfaction and has a pic of two guys fencing.
Ketha-Baranduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 am

Hi everybody. I'm back. I didn't get anything done while visiting Sil, but I plan to start working on my dress again today, or maybe tomorrow (I'm SO SORE, I don't know if I can handle bending over the machine right now B^). The last time I tried, the gathering stitches kept breaking, so I'm just hoping it'll work better this time...

Sorry about your computer Ketha :(

And I want to see pictures, Undi! :D

And smor, congrats on finishing those seat covers. Things like that just don't work for me. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:59 am

:hug: Ketha!

:whistle: *slinks back into the shadows of I-have-still-not-progressed-on-the-coat*
I am hopeless, it seems! :roll: at herself. But perhaps I can blame the lovely weather outside.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Aurelin--Blame the weather! It's easy, and we can all sympathize with you! :D (Actually, I blame the lack of sewing machine.. but it's the same basic idea, right? ...no, I guess not)

*HUGSES* everyone!!

Eep, sorry about your computer, Ketha! :hug: I kinda hope something like that happens to ours at home, so my dad will get a nicer one.. :P Done any sewing lately?

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:58 pm

Ketha- eek. But the shirt idea sounds very cool.

Aurelin- sure, blame the weather!! :) It's not like you have a deadline... do you?

Luthy, I hope you're feeling better soon.

All I've done over the last few days was chop up an old T-shirt and make it into a different shirt. But now it's not too short-and-tight looking anymore. :angel:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Ketha-Baranduin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:49 pm

Okay I was gonna make that T-shirt last night But I couldn't fined the fabric in my costume over run room so I decided to make a dress for my wee little sis out of there scraps that were to big to throw away. at first I was going to use some purple chiffon for the sleeves but it looked like a cheap which costume from Wal-Mart like the way it looked so I used this red stuff, and now it looks allot like Blood Arwens red dress. :)

Aurelin- blame the weather!!
Ketha-Baranduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GwenElf » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:30 pm

Awwww, Ketha, that sounds cute!!! I wish I were small enough to make clothes for myself out of scraps! :D

So. I have 7 yards of happy purple fabric. What should I make? :)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:46 pm

7 yards? Lucky. I was just yesterday looking at a pattern and thinking: I want to make a costume. Not ordinary clothes(its more fun to shop for those), but a reall, honest to goodness costume. I even thought of how I could side step the need for trim....But, the suitable fabrics were too small. :cry2:

You should make a dress like Sil's. The blue one.
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Gwenare » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:43 am

Smor: I think I've found a way to make my daughter a R2D2 outfit for Halloween. My sis-in-law has a pattern for something else that may work. We are going to give it a whirl a little later! :)

:hug:s to Ketha and Undi! I'm sorry you've both had so many problems! Hang in there! :)

I agree with Gwenelf, you can blame the weather. In my case, I can always blame Dan! ;) But that doesn't work for everyone! :lol: So the weather will have to do! :)

I hope eveyone's projects go smoothly from now on! :)

Have a great weekend everybody.

:grouphug:
Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Smor: I think I've found a way to make my daughter a R2D2 outfit for Halloween. My sis-in-law has a pattern for something else that may work. We are going to give it a whirl a little later! :)

:hug:s to Ketha and Undi! I'm sorry you've both had so many problems! Hang in there! :)

I agree with Gwenelf, you can blame the weather. In my case, I can always blame Dan! ;) But that doesn't work for everyone! :lol: So the weather will have to do! :)

I hope eveyone's projects go smoothly from now on! :)

Have a great weekend everybody.

:grouphug:
Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

sorry about that

technical difficulties

st00pid computer :x
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:04 am

That's okay Gwen :D

Adorable picture, by the way. :love:

So, I've decided to make my quilt a patchwork quilt instead of any kind of design, because I tried the tree and failed. :P I can't work on my dress because my sewing table is covered with clean laundry that needs to be folded and I am SO not in the mood for doing that. B^

I'm not really in the mood for anything, though :P
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:12 am

Who is, when it is Saturday and a very nice weather (at least it is here, I hope where you all are too).

I got today a few trousers and tops from a trift store. Some I got for wearing at home but I did find two very neat pair of pants to wear outside. And I even will do some sewing on then because I need to turn in a pair of the pants and then I'll take off a trim from a top to make the collar bigger.

7 yards and purple - I thought of Arwen's Farewell dress, or something inspired by it.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:15 pm

Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel wrote:You should make a dress like Sil's. The blue one.

That'd be cool!! ....too bad I am Sil, and I already have the blue one. ;)

Aurelin wrote:7 yards and purple - I thought of Arwen's Farewell dress, or something inspired by it.

Wrong colour purple, but that'd still be really pretty!! Not sure that dress would look good on me, but.. *plots*

Maranwe-- What kind of costume? By too small, do you mean 45" instead of 60", or not enough yardage? You could always order extra if you need more yardage..

Gwen-- Oooooh, R2D2 costume! That'll be fun!! :)

Luthy-- Yay for patchwork!!!!!!!! :love: :hug:

Off to dinner and then I'm starting my corset! (Smack me if I come back and say I didn't...)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby undomiel » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:01 pm

Gwen, I'm going to be making my daughter a Darth Vader costume. :D We already have the Darth Vader voice changer (my husband is a huge Darth Vader fan). She'll wear it for short periods of time and my husband's been trying to teach her to say "You have failed me for the last time." :wink:

Hehehehe. I used to get confused about what your name was too, Sil. ;)

Well, it's 11:00 and I think I might clear the table of the myriad stacks of books I've unpacked that won't fit on the two new bookshelves we bought and take a another stab at that shirt.

*goes in search of caffeine*

:D
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:10 pm

Gwen- really? What did you figure out? I'm curious now!

That purple dress is quite lovely...

*gets smacking hand ready for Sil* :twisted:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Gwenare » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:36 pm

Smor: I'll email you next week about it. It will be too long for a post. :) I will tell you this, it does not involve a trash can or a diaper pail! ;)

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:09 pm

undi - when you finish the Darth Vader costume, you have to show pics! :D

Little Darth Vader - *gets all aww-ish* :P.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:18 am

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot you are Sil.... :roll:
So, you can have two dresses like that.

I have a problem. My youth group has been asked to construct a hippopotamus head, with a wide opened mouth, for little kids to stand in. ( for VBS.)

Any ideas on how we might do that? Lori(the youth director) told us about it yesterday, and we have two weeks to get it done. I was thinking a hula hoop frame or something.....

The costume was a simplicity, um, #9891. I was think of doing view B, with some adjustment to the sleeves so they would look more like view A, but not as wide, but instead of having trim, I was going to have the center panel and sleeves of this blue fabric that I found in my moms storage shed. It had some nice texture to it, and there was just enough to do the center, and I was hop9ing the sleeves as well. Then I was thing of using some more found matierial, a brown courderoy, for the back and sides. As I have no idea where the stuff came from, ordering extra won't work.

R2D2 and Darth Vader!!!!
CUTE!
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:47 am

I used that pattern Maranwe. I think smor did too, maybe? Anyway, it's a pretty easy pattern, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. :) Good luck!
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Gwenare » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:33 am

Mara: Is your VBS Kingdom of the Son? That's what Dan and my church is doing this week. It totally rocks! :)

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:02 pm

Maranwe - would papier mache (sp?) be too fragile for something kids will stand in? Or foam maybe?

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby ShadowSwallow » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Hi everyone :)

I promised SMOR and Luthy that I would post in here today. :P

At this moment the only costumes I have sewn "completely" on my own have been the bodice and skirt for the "celtic" one on this page (only the podice was some cranberry colored sheets that had been previously made into some curtains, and the skirt was a very subtle navy blue plaid) and I'm currently working on the chemise for the civil war costume (since I'm a hopeless perfectionist, I must start at the beginning, musn't I.... :roll: )

Undi/Gwen - Those costumes sound ADORABLE! :) *melts*

Undi - I loved the Jedi robes you made. :hug:

SS
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:37 pm

SS- you made it! :happydance: And now I'll tell you here, since I didn't want to spam up the Emporium with sewing talk-- that McCall's pattern you mentioned that you said you were in love with is actually the one I'm using to work on my current Eowyn costume. :D

...which I'm not going to work on tonight. :roll: A bunch of my friends and I are going to a beach-party themed swing dance :? this weekend, so I have to go try to whip up a shirt to wear. :twisted:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:40 pm

Thanks, ShadowSwallow. :) I'm making the skirt from that celtic costume. Tell me, was it easy or hard? And does it look good? :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:15 pm

I finally got my sewing table completely cleaned off... and then I had to put all my sewing stuff away because the table was needed for something else. B^ I swear, they do this to me on purpose... whenever I feel like sewing I can't.
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby ShadowSwallow » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:10 pm

SMOR - Coolness 8) :D I'd buy it, but I'd probably only get around to sewing it after I'd finished the other 68 bazillion projects I either have the patterns for or am in the middle of :roll: :whistle: One of the Jo-Ann's near us closed (because a bigger one opened up a little ways away :angeldevil: ) and they had patterns 7 for $5 no matter what brand they were, so I kinda stocked up. :whistle: :roll:

Undi - You can just call me SS or Shadow (which ever you prefer ;) ) The skit was pretty easy, and it has a nice swishy and full feel it it (because of all the gathering :D ) The only thing is that it has a zipper (had LOTS of help from mom with that :roll: ) And they expect you to hand sew the waistband to the inside. Mom just showed me how to stitch-in-the-ditch. :roll: So, yes, most of it's pretty easy, except for the zipper and waistband. (for me at least...)

:hug: Luthy

:grouphug: Everyone :D
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth