Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby undomiel » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:02 am

Hmmmm... I have not done a zipper myself yet but I think I can figure that out. Hand stitch the waistband? Does this have anything to do with the fusible interfacing? I have no idea what that's all about. WHat does fusible mean (in this sense)? And how does one "Stitch in the Ditch"? I usually improvise with the instructions a bit anyway. :wink:
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:59 am

Hi SS! :hug:

When it says to hand stitch the waistband, I.... don't. :D

Fusible interfacing means you iron it on, and it sticks, instead of sewing it around the edges. ie it fuses to the fabric. It's kind of a strange concept. B^ I usually just don't use interfacing at all, though.

Most people hate zippers, but I enjoy them. I think I'm nuts. 8)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:16 am

Hiya SS!! Welcome to the Guild! Pull up a chair and a table and get out your sewing machine! :D (Oh, and help youself to anything you'd like off the dessert table.)

Undomiel-- Fusible interfacing is just what Luthy said--you iron it on (there's a fusible side that sticks to the fabric--the directions should tell you what side to put down) and it sticks, and makes the fabric stiffer. Do the directions say to put it on the waistband?

I think zippers are the devil. That reminds me.. I have to fix the zipper on Nen's skirt. Mef. :P

Well, I cut my corset out.. I was going to draw the lines on it, but then I had to go to work.. so no more progress on that. I have to make three pillow cases for work, and then I'll be back to the corset..

*HUGSES*!!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:38 pm

Hello everyone and a special welcoming hi to SS! :)

Fusible interfacing! :Q I do not think we even have something like that here. Sometimes the lack of sewing materials and tools is just depressing!

I have come to like invisible zippers a bit since I find those easier to sew on than the regular ones, but that may be just because of the two particular dresses and fabrics I have sewed them on.

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:30 am

Hmmm... so I can just ignore the instructions then? Works for me. :D Well, I did do some work on my shirt. I only have to do the neckline and hem the bottom now. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:39 pm

Corset is done! Had to resize it at the top, which was a surprise.. but now it fits and I can still breathe! :D .............sorta. When I'm standing. :P

Undomiel-- Ignoring the directions is fun! :D

Wow, Aurelin. You don't have fusible interfacing? That's depressing! I'll mail you some!

Ok, so I bought 5.75 more yards of random shiny fabric. I have so much fabric and nothing to do with it! What shall I do?!?! :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby ShadowSwallow » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:18 pm

:bang: I typed up a long post, then navigated away from the page :bang:

undi - "stitching in the ditch" is when you sew on the right side of the fabric in a seam or "ditch." Mom and I just ignored/altered the directions from the zipper part on. :twisted: :D

This afternoon I was stuck in a music store for 3 hours, so after playing all the songs I could, multiple times I seam ripped part of my quilt which I had brought. It was really nice since it was thunderstorming and I was freezing (dead of summer... figures... :roll: ) I also attached the neck band to the shift I've been working on for ages. :) So all in all it was a productive day. :)
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:32 pm

I'm so happy... I designed a shirt and it WORKED!!!! :happydance: My mom got a subscription to Threads magazine :love:, and the most recent issue had a method for making patterns from pre-made clothes using tape. And I have this swing dance coming up on Saturday with a beach theme, and some free Hawaiian-print fabric lying around, so I decided to try it. So I took a shirt that I liked the fit on, used that to make patterns for the bottom and the armhole part of the bodice, and then changed the bodice to get the look I wanted. And I just tried it on and it WORKED!! And it's not falling off my shoulders (my usual problem when I attempt to design shirts :roll: )or too short or too low-cut looking! So I'm sitting here in front of the computer sewing the shoulder linings closed, and then I have to get a zipper so I can do that after work tomorrow night, and then I have to hem it, but other than that it's done. :D

*is hyper*

And I'm also in the process of attempting to fix the shoulder problem on two of my shirts, one of them being the starry mantle shirt that I made back over the winter. I :heart: that shirt, but it's so hard to keep on my shoulders where I want them, so I'm hoping I can fix it. :P
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Ketha-Baranduin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:27 am

Hi I'm back no costumes but I think I'm going to finish a dress I started a while ago

I swear, they do this to me on purpose... whenever I feel like sewing I can't.

your not the only one.

Ketha
Ketha-Baranduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:46 am

Sil, if you feel you have too much Fabric, just start sewing like there's no tomorrow. Or, you can send it as presents to people who appriciate such things.
*nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

:whistle:
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:52 am

Sil - I think we don't have it, at least in the stores I frequent. Hehee, thanks for the offer but you need not bother since I have not needed interfacing or used it :P.
yey for shiny fabric!

:clap: SMOR :D
I have the staying-on-shoulders trouble with some of my dresses as well but most of those have been fixed more or less.

I think we all here :heart: your starry mantle shirt!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:34 am

I have officially started a costume, using a pattern! YAYNESS!

Thursday I was soooooo desperate. I really wanted to sew, and I could not find fabric enough for the patten. It was driving me nuts. And it was not like i would be able to go to JoAnnes or Hancock Fabrics, as 1; i was home babysitting, and2; I have no money. I had money thurday, but, I had a set purpose for each penny. Quite literaly. No, I still have a dime free....what will I do with it? :wink:. But, anyhoo, I finaly ventured into the depths of my moms storage shed, and all I found was what i knew to be there. Courderoy. Ugly, brownish grey courderoy. And then, I found it! A box containing three pieces, each 45'' wide, and a good three yards (or more) in leangth each, of red and blue plaid! And then I found, deeper in that box, some kind of pinkish fabric, which I shall do the sleeves out of. So, I was all like, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: , and I cut out the main pieces thursday. Except sleeves and interfacing, which pattern pieces have disapeared... :x I have the back of the sleee for the drapey one, and the flounce for the other. But both? Nooooooo. I also have the back interfacing pattern piece(found it underneath my desk) but i cant find the front one. And I found that the pinkish fabric ravels terribly, so I think I really, need interfacing, but I am not sure on how to do that...Or the sleeves....Any suggestions?

(If you would like to what I am doing, look in SS's link a few posts back, Fantasy, Cultural. There is a pic of the pattern, I believe)
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby eilona » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:02 pm

I checked out the previous thread, and found the website. Wow! Very impressive. I'm very jealous :P . Thank goodness I have a very talented sister who is the seamstress of the family. :)
eilona
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:23 pm

I finished the shirt! :D

I've felt absolutely no motivation to work on my Renaissance costume lately but today I finally did. I think it came out pretty well. Now I just need to figure out how to make the skirt...
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Yey for undi!

Welcome, eilona! Seamstress in the family - I do envy you! It would have been a lot easier for me figuring out some things, still would be.

I basted the fake fur hems on the coat but not having had the will to figure out how I am going to sew them on, I have again neglected the work. Now I have 3 days off in a row and hope to manage to get some sewing done and finish the coat, at last!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:41 pm

Hey, I am almost done with my dress! Yayness!
All I have to do is zipper, sleeves, and hem!

Just wondering if any one might have suggestions. See, I could not find the pattern peices for the sleees, and then when I tried it on today it was super-plunging low. So I took up the should parts some, and added a piece to the front to make it wearable in public. Ketha thought maybe add sleeves that actually are off the shoulder, like, I would have the strap, and they would just dangle there, but I must think on that.

ya for all who hae found sewing time and finished progects!
We wants piccies, precioussssss.
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Hi, elonia!!

Undomiel- Yay! :happydance:

Managed to sew every weeknight this week. :happydance: (Except today. :roll: ) Let's see... I had a shirt that I had to chop up and redo to get rid of ink stains earlier this summer, and I had to tighten up the sleeves (me and my too-big shoulder curse :P) and add length to the bottom because when I fixed the sleeves it became too short. So now it looks layered. And I made a pair of capris for work. Wearing those now. I have a couple other quick projects I need to get out of the way, but then I'm going to work on that Eowynish dress! I'm determined!!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:35 am

I made a costume piece! Not sewing, but... :P I made a hat like the blue one Elphaba wears in the beginning of the show version of Wicked. :rofl: click me!! I'll get pictures of the actual thing up as soon as I can. :D

I'm not a huge knitter so it isn't perfect, but it was fun. :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Gwenare » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:10 am

That's great Luthy!

Haven't had time to work on costumes for Dan and myself. :(

I promise I will work on them, Halloween will be here before I know it, so I'll have to get them done. :D

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:18 am

Nice hat, Luthy!

Smor - you sewing monster! How on earth can you manage all that, I do not know! :Q :)

Sleeves off the shoulders work for some and don't for others. Could you try the look out with some cheap cloth or something and then decide, Maranwe?

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:22 am

Maranwe-- Do you have any other sleeve patterns that you could use as a basis for your costume sleeves? Most sleeves have the same basic shape at the top, so you could make a mock-up of one (got any muslin or cotton around?), pin that to the armhole, make any adjustments you need, and then use that as your sleeve pattern.

Aurelin-- I looooooooooove your sig! Where did you get it? It's soo cute! :)

I may be making someone a Renaissance dress like mine.. she wanted to buy mine but it was too big for her, and I'm not a good alter-er. So I offered to make one for her... I'm picking out colours for it now. :roll: Looong, dumb story, not worth telling... :P

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Aurelin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:30 am

Sil, thank you! A TORCer wished me to put up Legolas, Will Turner and Paris chibis and I used one for a sig in the process. In fact I have seen a composite with chibis of all Orlando's character's so far.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:53 pm

Does "Thank you Luthy!" mean she drew it, or .. what?

Working on the mock-up of my new bodice... I basted it together and had mom lace me into the corset and then the bodice... she was amused. (At least she rolled her eyes. :D) Fit pretty well.. I was surprised. So now I have to take it apart and use the pieces for the actual thing. *Nervousness*

Well, I just about bought out the store's supply of that blue fabric.. I kept buy extra "in case I mess up". :D So now I have three extra yards.. that ought to be plenty. Unless some dumb kid gets mustard all over my dress like last year.. :bang: :angry:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:24 am

I hope the corset works out, Sil!

Aurelin- because they were quick projects. Basically all I had to do was add length to the shirt, so that was basically a strip of fabric, and then the capris were really basic and easy because it's four pieces, a drawstring waist and I had used that particular pattern before. I'm going to be making a third pair with them soon, because I'm trying to get all these quickie summery-type projects out of the way while it's still warm enough to wear them. :roll:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:04 pm

Even if they were quick projects. :) I seem to find more and more reasons not to sew - laziness, I know. However yesterday I did something I meant to for some time - took the coat's waist in a bit. Still it needs to be hemmed and cord-ed. :roll:

Sil - corset! :clap: I used the more convenient - find a corset from a thrift-store scheme. :oops: ;)

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:25 pm

I've made huge progress with my Renaissance costume skirt over the past two days. The pattern turned out to not be what I thought it was, but I think I'm going to be able to modify it to my liking. *Note to self: read the pattern before you start sewing.* Anyway, I think it's going well. It should be done by tomorrow. :)

Then I need to start my husband's costume. Then I need to make curtains for mine and Luthien's bedrooms. And then I need to make the Jedi costume for my brother's birthday. Unless he's changed his mind back to Frodo. :wink: Then will be a princess dress for my sister's birthday. I never should have made the Gandalf cloak for my other sister's birthday because now they all want something. :roll: So it probably won't be until next year that I get to do something for myself again. Oh, I forgot Luthien's Renaissance costume in there. *Sigh.*
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:47 am

:Q Nice list, undi!!!! :lol: You do have your hands full, I see.

I finally started to sew the hem on the coat! I alternate between thow techniques right now until I figure out which will be the quickest and more effective one.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:49 am

Hi there everyone. I had time to check out some other guilds and found this one. I don't do much costuming but do sew alot.right now I'm making shorts and sun dresses for the grandgirls.. they are 2 &1/2 and 8 and growing like weeds. I had to take a break for awhile because between the end of March and May 14th I made 3 bridesmaid gowns and a bridal gown. my daughter got married and it is much less expensive and alot more personal to make them. I'm going to try to get into the sites to check out the pictures but haven't figured it out yet.

Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:29 pm

Hiya Borin!! Welcome to TORC and to the Guild! :) Pull up a chair and a sewing table and help yourself to anything you'd like off of the dessert table! :D

That's awesome that you sewed your daughter's wedding dress-- I hope I'll be able to sew my own ..if I ever get married. :P And I'd love to see pictures of the grandkids in their new clothes if you take any! :)

Sterling... never heard of it. Or maybe I have. But I don't know where it is. :P

Ok, so I scratched the bodice I was making because it had princess seams and my chest is realllly flat due to the corset. So I got a template off a website and have been working with that.. it needs sleeves still, and that's going to be the worst part. It'll be fun.. :D :P

Dinner!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:26 am

Thanks for all the advice!
I think I've figuered out how to do them. I probably start on that as soon as I get off the computer..... :roll:

Hi, Borin!

wow. The wedding dress and the bridesmaids. My mom did that. And she'll probably do mine too.

It was funny, that this should come up here.
I was at a wedding saturaday, and we got to talking about what styles are avalible now, and then we went to Wal-Mart and looked at patterns.

We have both decided we like the mediveal.....
Not that I need a dress....a bit too young yet...But I can dream. :love:
Someday....
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth