Sewing/Costuming Guild, part II

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby undomiel » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:42 am

Sterling Renaissance Festival is in upstate New York. So you wouldn't have heard about it, Sil. I live about 2 hours from it and we went up there for our anniversary this year. We'll be going again in a couple weeks with my sisters and brother. :)

Well, I haven't finished the skirt. Maybe today. If I can finish cleaning my whole house this afternoon. :roll:
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:03 pm

Hello and welcome, Borin! Wow, bridal gowns! Though it has been asked of me whether I will make my own (the if comes to play thoughl ;) :P) and I might, I will need to feel very brave to actually try it.
:clap: for Borin!

Maranwe wrote:We have both decided we like the mediveal.....

Oh, yes, me as well!

I did hem one sleeve of the coat last night! :D :P So one more and then the collar and bottom still to go but the sleeve I think is the most annoying due to the bigger curve.

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:25 pm

Hey there Borin! Welcome! :)

I don't think I'd want to make my wedding dress. Since I make so many clothes I think it'd feel more special if I DIDN'T make it. :)

I finished my skirts! Well, not my hoop skirt... I haven't even started that yet, beyond having cut it out. :oops: But I finished the overskirt, trim and all, and the underskirt. They haven't been hemmed yet because I have to make the hoop skirt first. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:57 pm

I don't know if I'd want to make a wedding dress or not. On the one hand, it would be a fun challenge. On the other hand, I would probably drive myself insane and whatever guy who was crazy enough to want to marry me in the first place would be out of there faster than a speeding Mearas. :whistle:

I was cleaning my closet out a bit last night and I stumbled across my poor, neglected, unfinished Eowyn gown. *sniffles* On the other hand, I'm feeling motivated to work on it again. But I have to make another skirt first because I realized it's perfect to wear to the wedding rehearsal I have to go to next week. So the plan for tonight is to cut it out. The fabric is reaaaaaaally pretty too. :love: And my interesting challenge for myself on this one is I'm going to attempt an invisible zipper, so wish me luck.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:28 pm

I'd post pictures but don't know how. I've figured out how tp scan them onto my computer but don't know how to send the anywhere.

I'm taking my 8 yr old grandgirl (she's too grown up for grandbaby so she says) to joann fabric this week to get patterns and materials for school dresses and skirts.

I've been working with her on learning to sew with my machine..she is doing good with straight seams.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:59 pm

That's so awesome, Borin! :D My mom taught me to sew with the machine when I was very small. Around when I was 8 or 9 I made my first dress on my own. :D I think I still have it -- it was a little jumper dress with strawberries on it. Awww! ;)

If you'd like to put pictures on our website ( www.freewebs.com/costumers and www.freewebs.com/costumers2 and www.freewebs.com/costumers3 ) email me -- my address is in my sig -- and I can give you the info. :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:26 am

I just realized that I have to make a christening dress for Luthien. I don't think they make them for two year olds. (Yes, we've been lazy.) ;) There are some beautiful simplicity patterns for girl's dresses. She's suddenly developed a love of pretty dresses. I put one on her yesterday and she won't let me take it off. :D

I also saw a tudor dress pattern in the historical section on simplicity's site and I think it should be in the Renaissance section. It looked nice. :)

Alright, I'm seriously going to finish my skirt this afternoon. Luthien's going to grandma's house. :D
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 am

Ok. original plan did not work. the pink did not have enough give to do what I wanted, and I did not have enough fabric to cut them out again. they fit on my arms, but did not go up to my shoulder. Then Ketha said to make a cap of the plaid, and so i tried that. It worked, and so now I need sew on long plaid pieces for the sleeve, and then I'll sew the pink in....give it a layered look.

Eventually I'll get it.

Christianing dress? Cute! I have seen some utterly adorable dresses in simplicity. They are layered and soooo adorable!

I must ask. What exactly are these Ren Faires every one speakes of?
I am just wondering, cause the medievial fair here is just a week-end long, and the ones you speak of seem to be permenant features.....
just wondering.
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:52 am

It's different everywhere, Maranwe. The Holly Ren Fest here in Michigan runs from halfway through August until the end of September every year, if I remember correctly. But we also have a Ren Fest called the Silver Leaf Festival or something that only runs for a week each year. :)

It's storming deliciously and I think we're going to lose power, but if we don't I shall work on my hoop skirt today. :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:00 pm

SMOR, good luck with the invisible zipper (as a matter of fact I found those easier to "install" than the regular ones).

MY mom was afraid I'd mess up the sewing machine (:roll:) so that is why I got really really into sewing this late. :D

Luthien in a little christening dress - I can hardly picture the amount of cuteness!

*hopes Luthy will stay power-ed* :)

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:10 pm

We lost the power for about two seconds, but I could sew after that. :D I finished the hoop skirt... it was painful... :shock: and there's a small problem I have to fix... I sort of made the second bottom hoop a little larger than the bottom one. B^ But now, except for that and hemming, the bottom half of my Ren dress is done! :D

I still have to:

Fix the hoop skirt
Hem the underskirt
Hem the overskirt
Take in the corset
Make the bodice (including sleeves... I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do for those yet B^)
Make the chemise
Make the petticoat

Whew! It looks so gorgeous, though... I think my hoop skirt is a quite a bit larger than Sil's, because I just winged it. B^ I'm going to be a higher rank than you, Sil! :thppt: :P:P
Last edited by luthienelflover on Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Well, I didn't get to cut out my skirt last night (and no, it was not because I was spamming up the Emporium! That was because I couldn't cut out my skirt!) Turns out I didn't have enough of that fabric to use the pattern I bought to go with it, because it's a border print. Not to mention the hem was all curved and stuff, so it was hard to get the border lined up right. So I figured I'd just make a more simple A-line skirt. Then I discovered I didn't have a pattern for one. :doh: So I had to stop after work today and get one. That, and the zipper.

So now the plan is cut-out-after-I'm-done-teaching-tonight, take 2. :roll:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:55 pm

luthienelflover wrote:Whew! It looks so gorgeous, though... I think my hoop skirt is a quite a bit larger than Sil's, because I just winged it. B^ I'm going to be a higher rank than you, Sil! :thppt: :P:P

Welll..... mef on you! :D I can live with that. :P

Got my bodice cut out and the lining sewed on.. I have to rip out the sleeve seams and sew them again--they came out just a little smaller than I'd like. Then I have to clip curves, etc. and put in the grommets... and it shall be done, I hope!!

...I don't know how many times mom laced me into my corset today.. it was amusing. :D

Eewwwww, zippers. Maybe invisible will be easier than regular. Good luck!! :)

Maranwe-- Like Luthy said. Renaissance Faires are big events where the entire setting is "back then" themed-- buildings, clothing, food, activities, etc. People dress up for them, walk around, shop, and burn their brains out in ninety degree weather. :D There's a queen, and nobles, and people who sell things... lotsa fun. :)

Quick, someone check the coffee cam on the coffee shoppe's website! The owner's wearing my corset! :rofl:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby undomiel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:57 am

I put in an application at Joann's yesterday! So everyone keep your fingers crossed. I really want to work there. :)

This is the pattern I picked out for Luthien's christening gown: View B Isn't it beautiful? We picked out some fabric too, all white of course. But I'm hoping either to get a cupon in the mail or get hired so I have a discount before I buy it.

Of course I still need to finish our Ran Fest costumes first. I will finish the skirt today or die trying. Or both. ;)

EDIT: I've got an interview on friday! :D
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:00 am

That's fantastic, Undi! :D And the dress is gorgeous. :) She's going to look so adorable!

I fixed my hoop skirt and altered my corset. There's nobody home except my dad, and he flatly refuses to have anything to do with corsets, so I can't completely try it on to be sure, but I slipped it on and held it in place and it seems like it fits right. I'm not going to cut the places I sewed till I see Sil and she can strap me into it and make sure, though. ;)

I also started working on my bodice... I should have hemmed the skirts, but I didn't feel like long boring seams :P But, stupid me, I didn't know I needed piping for this bodice pattern. I had really hoped I wouldn't, because no matter what I do, I always seem to screw piping up. Every single time I've used it I've managed to mess it up somehow. :| So... I guess I'll go to the fabric store today or tomorrow to get some, but I'm really not looking forward to having to use it. :|

Also, I have to modify the front of the bodice... it goes down way too far, and while it's historically accurate I imagine it'll be uncomfortable to sit in. :P So I have to do that... then I have to figure out what I'm going to do about sleeves... I cut out some like on Sil's blue dress, but I'm not sure if I want them that way or if I want to modify them or what... I'm afraid of ruining it if I modify them. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:26 am

*feels so lazy amongst everyone being so industrious!* :o

I did redo the closing of a ballet dress I own (I never have danced but we got the dress, long story) and I went out to town in that! I have to say I got pretty incredulous looks! :P

undi - how cute is that pattern!
*crosses fingers for undomiel*

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:05 pm

Got a bit of a surprise today... I now own two sewing machines. :shock: My mom broke one of hers, and so my grandparents randomly bought her a new one to replace it. And since it has an embroiderer on it, she gave me the other one that has an embroiderer. The neat thing is, you can make up your own designs on it. The downer is, the software is at my grandparents' house because Grandmom has the same type of machine. Fortunately, they only live five minutes away.

I did manage to get my skirt cut out last night. I was going to sew it tonight, but I think it's going to have to wait for at least a while because judging by the view out of the window, we're going to get a massive thunderstorm any minute. Hope there's lots of cool :lightening: to make it worth it!!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:44 pm

That's awesome, smor! :D

I modified my bodice, and started sewing boning channels. I like how it's going so far, but I'm still afraid of the piping. :( I didn't go get it yet, because I'm pretending I don't need it for as long as possible. :|
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:03 am

I finished my skirt! :D:D:D

Well, almost. I only have to sew on the hook and eye closure and I couldn't do that last night because I can't get the stupid circular package of needles my mother gave me open. :roll:

But! Everything else is done. There was a TON of material to gather and I think it went very well. I even hemmed it and I almost always put that off. ;)

Now I have to cut out the fabric for my husband's cotume right away and get that done hopefully this weekend. I've got so much to do this month. Curtains for Luthien's room, Luthien's Renaissance costume and Luthien's christening gown which looks very complicated. They all have to be done before Labor day weekend. :shock:
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:46 pm

Sil! The very adorableness of it! Love it!!!!

I have my dress done. :happydance:

The hemming was fun, cause the center panel and sleeves(which, btw, I thought turned out pretty good, considering my experiance)are very ravely. Like, I trimmed off the stray threads from the sleeves, and their not all that wide, mid, and by the time i would get done sewing all the way around, it would be fraying again. So I had to hem it once, turn it over, and do it again. And since i had to do the center panel that way, I did the whole skirt that way. But it actually did not take that long.

Luthy, as to pretending that you don't need things, well, I was supposed to use trim. And interfacing. And a pattern for the sleeves.
Why do you need piping?

Yay for Smor!
Those embrodeiry machines are so cool. And oh so great for costumes.
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:21 pm

Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel wrote:Luthy, as to pretending that you don't need things, well, I was supposed to use trim. And interfacing. And a pattern for the sleeves.
Why do you need piping?

*Points* Like she said. :D

One of my coworkers is a hugggeee piping fan.. she pipes everything... :P She can help ya, Luthy. :)

Why does everyone but me get interviews at JoAnn? I don't know how many times I applied there... must be because I can only work during the summer, or something... yeesh. Oh well, I :heart: Hancocks.

Awwwwwwwww, Undomiel!! It's so cute!! Can't wait to see a picture of her in it!! :love: :)

:grouphug:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Since I didn't get to say it before (no time to look because I was racing against the thunderstorm), Undomiel, that dress is great! I hope it turns out!

I've only tried piping once, on a skirt I was making earlier this summer. The piping looked good. The skirt itself, unfortunately, was totally messed up because I made the mistake of trying to adapt a 3/4-circle skirt to an A-line, and I couldn't even get the thing over my hips. I'm going to attempt to salvage it, but haven't had the chance yet. Oh, and I didn't get to sew last night, because about five minutes after I posted, the storm knocked out the power until nearly midnight. :roll: My poor mom was going nuts because she couldn't play with her new toy. :D I really, really, really, really hope I get a chance to sew this weekend sometime now, because I really, really wanted to finish this skirt by the end of next week so I can wear it!!!

Yay for Mara finishing the dress! And undomiel finishing the skirt! And Luthy's corset!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:27 pm

I got my poor brother to lace me into the corset so I could check the size today... poor kid, he isn't that good with fiddly things, and he spent about ten minutes trying to get me into it... I told him to make the edges meet... and after those ten minutes they were still almost an inch apart. B^ So I told him it was fine and thankyouverymuch and all that and I STILL have to get Sil to put me into it so I can see for real. :P

I got a bit of my bodice done today. I got the boning channels all sewn and a few of the pieces sewn together. I had to modify the pieces a little bit because they had a slight princess seam and that won't work with my corset, but that was fine. What I'm worried about is the neck and shoulder straps... the shoulder straps seem to be a lot shorter than I'd think they should be. Unless I'm missing something, the neckline is going to be quite a few inches higher than I thought it would be. :|

I need the piping to keep the edges from being raw. I could just sew it and then turn it inside out, but the pattern noted that that might not make it lie right... :? :|
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby undomiel » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:55 am

I had my interview today and I think it went really well. I had to take this survey where they ask you all sorts of vague ethical questions and all you can answer is yes or no and that never answers the question sufficiently. :roll: So they have to review that before they decide whether or not to hire me. I think I've got a good chance. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:43 pm

:clap: and :crossed fingers: for undi! Having gone through the whole job interviews gauntlet, I know how the wait feels! Pretty much annoying.

My mother was cleaning one of our cupboards and found an old sea-green silk dress of mine that she said I could take apart and use the skirt part (for the bodice will be quite unsalvage-able) for whatever I figure out I want to use it for. Hmm, i did need a nighty....

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:03 pm

I took my granddaughter to the store (Walmart) today to get some material to make school clothes..we found all kinds of material on sale for $1.00 a yard..(her other gramma buys her jeans) I spent about $15.00 0n material and got a couple of patterns for different style skirts... I'm going to try to do some applique on the skirts..which will be interesting. I also figured out how to adapt the pattern I used for the wedding dresses to make Renaissance looking costumes. Gramma Santa at work. I also found a small dressmaker sewing machine for $30 it only does straight stitches but I put it on layaway for my grandaughter..she is having a ball learning how to sew on my machine...She wants to make a lap quilt for her other gramma for christmas..I have a bunch of scraps of cotton mybe we'll try a crazy quilt.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:53 pm

That sounds like so much fun, Borin! :D

I realized today I have to lower the neckline of my bodice quite a bit before I put the boning in. The neckline was a little higher than would be historically accurate to begin with, and then I accidentally made the straps shorter, making the neck even higher. B^ I hate modifying things. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:18 pm

I've actually managed to get some work done! Couldn't work on the skirt I had originally planned to because I have to wait for my mom to get an invisible zipper foot for her machine. So instead I worked on my costume. :D I have the underskirt done except for hemming as of yesterday, and then today I got the lace-up part in the back done. So I'm entirely done with machine work on it, except that I have to take the sides of the outer dress in a little bit. (Ok, more than a little bit... at least an inch and a half on each side. :roll: ) Then it's just hem everything, add the belt thingy, and try to figure a way to get the sleeve linings to stop coming out. I'm afraid I might have to resort to stealing from the original coronation gown and do beads all around the edge. :shock:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:15 am

I had a productive weekend. :) On saturday I managed to cut out ALL the pieces for Nazzy's Renaissance costume. (I usually severely procrastinate about that. ;)) Then on sunday I finished his tunic. I think it came out very well. It's just bordering on being a little too short but that's not my fault. He's 6'3". I even made myself do the hemming last night too. :) Now I just need to do the pants and vest but they should be much easier than the tunic. At the very least they have fewer steps! :D

Oh, and I start work at Joann's today. :D
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:40 am

Congrats on the job, Undi..I don't know if I could work at Jo Ann's I'd be spending all my money on material and stuff..

Good job getting the tunic done I think they are harder than the pants..I've got to get busy and get the skirts cut out for my Grandgirls school clothes. have a good day be back on later.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth