- The Mariners' Guild - All the rum you can drink for free!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

- The Mariners' Guild - All the rum you can drink for free!

Postby Ithilien » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:18 pm

Welcome to The Mariners' Guild!

Welcome Uinendili!

Welcome aboard the Calacolindo, our flagship and guildhouse of Mariners and Venturers. Whether your heart is set on the Sea and your eyes on the stars, or you feel like roaming the seas in search of treasure and adventure, we bid you join us as we sail on across Arda. From Harlond to Rómenna, from Andunié to Alqualondë on the very shores of the Blessed Realm, we've been to them all; we've heard the cry of the gulls and are bound never to rest ashore, but be lulled to sleep by the waves of the Great Sea.

··· * ··· * ··· * ···

Ahem, that was the official, more formal welcome. ;) Now, if you're only joining for the cute cabin boys or the pirate-girls we keep below deck, well, we won't blame you. Just get ready to swab the decks the first few months and the rest will be a breeze, as you get promoted.

All forum members are welcome, no matter their alliance; you don't have to display or favour the banner of Eärendil to join the Guild.

However, we Eärendilites are somewhat fond of tradition and knowledge, so we require something of you before you can join our ranks as a official crew member or the Calacolindo.

New members or applicants to the position of Deckhand (initial position), need to fill out the quiz below and email the answers back to Ithilien after making an introductory post to the Guild. It's easy and I don't bite (mostly ;)), so grab your copy of The Silmarillion and get on with it!

Deckhand Quiz:

1) Why did Eärendil sailed West?
2) Name his parents, wife and children.
3) What was Eärendil's fate after he pleaded his case to the Valar?

-Respond with the answers and your username at --> erendisblack-at-gmail-dot-com

The Mariners' Guild offers 5 different ranks, the lowest being Deckhand and the highest being Captain. We work on a promotion system based on Mariner knowledge, taken straight from any of JRR Tolkien's works (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings & The Silmarillion), eventually including the 12 tomes of The History of Middle-earth.

Also, all forum Mariners are invited to join us as Honorary Guild Members once they achieve 5000 posts.

··· * ··· * ··· * ···

The Mariners Creed

Children of the Sea Born Beneath the Beam of Earendil.

By oceans vast and blessed stars, the Mariner's spirit knows only freedom.

We sail or row in any ship after the design of our own hearts and deeply value expression of the individual.

We pledge to acknowledge and respect the thoughts and feelings of our fellow Mariners and all our brothers and sisters across TORc.

Bond only to tomorrow as we sail on from today.

··· * ··· * ··· * ···

Our Crew and their Ranks:

Ancient Order of Mariners - [Founders]

Almacundo of the Tree
Amarie of the White Wing
Gurtholfin of the Fountain
Ithilien of the Golden Flower
Star-of-Hope of the Heavenly Arch

Alassante_Estel - Sailhand
Angelus_Fontaine - Deckhand
Ar-Alexandros - Deckhand
Arish - Deckhand
Arithon - Second Mate
Aurandir - Deckhand
Avallon - Deckhand
Blacksword - Deckhand
boffuk - Deckhand
deathstar - Deckhand
Earendilyon - First Mate
Findis - Deckhand
Fingolfin_of_the_Noldor - Sailhand
gato - First Mate
Isengrim - Deckhand
IsildursHeir - Deckhand
Jatamansi - Deckhand
Legolas_Ringelf - Deckhand
LiMuBai - Sailhand
Lord_Asriel - Deckhand
lord_sparrowhawk - Deckhand
LordGothmog - Deckhand
Magnifidanicus - Deckhand
Nicasam - Deckhand
Olorin of the West - Deckhand
riseoverrun - Sailhand
Saelind - Deckhand
SilverScribe - Second Mate
Thalion_The_Steadfast - Deckhand
Tobeszijian_The_Great - Deckhand
Traveller - DeckhandTuor - Sailhand
undomiel - Deckhand
Valandil - Second Mate
Vingilot - Sailhand
Wayfarer - Deckhand
Winged_Balrog - Deckhand

Honorary Guild Members � TORc Mariners

Axordil
§ol*
Terry D
Mithfânion
Erinhue
sandra
enchantress
eliana
luthienelflover
fatcatdave
Amrunelen
Evenstar_of_Imladris
oldtoby
Thewhitetree
MithLuin

* beware of §ol, our current pirate on board and surrogate Captain (when no Ancient Mariners are around)

Note: I-am-Tigger is our sassy feline. Please make sure you don't step on her tail. [He may not be around bodily, but we�re sure he haunts the pantry, so watch out for the bounce!]

··· * ··· * ··· * ···
Last edited by Ithilien on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ithilien
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Ha I got first post! May the rest of ye be struck with scurvy! :twisted:

I read in the last thread that you wanted to make Toby an honorary member...

Hmmm. Mighty dangerous times we live in.

;)
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Ithilien » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Hmph. A non-member getting away with a first post. Terrible times, indeed. :P

Shall I list you as anything, good sir? 'First-post snatcher extraordinaire', perhaps? ;)
Ithilien
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:32 pm

I'm jus' a pirate rollin' the seas mate. ;)

I've posted for about a month in the previous thread... When Gil or seomeone else (don't remember who) resurrected the thread I came and joined in the fun. And since you weren't there I passed right by the initiation process. :wink: :P
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Ithilien » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:44 pm

Ah, that is fine, but don't be surprised if we chuck you off the ship, first port we get to. ;)

*mutters* Gondorian pirates, what is Middle-earth coming to... :roll:
Ithilien
Mariner

Postby §ol » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Eh, I didn't feel like being bothered to post. Let them have their tiny glory. They know where they stand. ;)

AF from last thread wrote:*Conveniently forgets to salute and awaits punishment* :twisted:

*grabs onto AF's wrist, steps behind him, dislocates his arm and throws him to the deck next to TWT*

I expected better discipline from one of the Easterlings than one of the sniveling dogs of Gondor. Apparently, I was wrong. Before EITHER of you can become Mariners, you must first understand the laws of the sea. On a ship, the Captain is King, and all due respect shall be observed. It matters not if you are the highest Admiral or the lowest scullion, you always defect to the Captain of the ship you are upon. This Law overrides all others, including all oaths of loyalty, until such time as you would leave her vessel. The only time in which you would not show such courtesy is if you should be attempting to commandeer the vessel. I think we can assume that you'll not be trying that anytime soon, now will you?

The next time such wanton lack of respect is observed, you two will not merely be cleaning the decks. You will be cleaning your own blood from them. With your tongues. Am I understood? Thewhitetree's actions could be explained away by ignorance. AF, yours was a purposeful disrespecting of authority after having seen what happened to Thewhitetree. Do your duties with your arm as it is. Only after they are completed will I reseat it for you.

Am I understood? :twisted:

TWT wrote: I'm jus' a pirate rollin' the seas mate.

I've posted for about a month in the previous thread... When Gil or seomeone else (don't remember who) resurrected the thread I came and joined in the fun. And since you weren't there I passed right by the initiation process.

See, this would be funny if you didn't actually believe it. ;) You have neither joined the guild, been a member of the Earendil alliance, nor hit 5000 posts. Ergo, you're just a stowaway at the moment, and will be until such point as you answer the quiz questions Ithilien posed to you in the last thread. Which means no rum. :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:58 pm

*wakes up to find §ol yelling*

*goes back to sleep*

;)

They know where they stand.

Actually, its more like 'wabble'. I haven't got my sea-legs yet. ;)

I've never been on a ship for more than four days straight. I really am a pathetic mariner. :P

Ithilien posted quiz questions? :?

Maybe I should read more carefully... *goes to check previous thread*
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Upon reading the quiz questions I have come to a complete assertion that the answers are as follows:

1. Spongebob
2. 22
3. Spongebob Squarepants

If that's not mariner enough for you than I'll summon the next mighty squid. :twisted:

*salutes Scribbles*

Sheesh, no appreciation when a fellow Canuck sticks up for you... :roll: :wink: Where did you develop those mariner skills out in the praries anyway? :wink:
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby spongebob_Spampants » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:27 am

Upon reading the quiz questions I have come to a complete assertion that the answers are as follows:

1. Spongebob
2. 22
3. Spongebob Squarepants

Did I hear my name being called?
spongebob_Spampants
Citizen of Imladris

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:25 pm

Thewhitetree wrote:Upon reading the quiz questions I have come to a complete assertion that the answers are as follows:

1. Spongebob
2. 22
3. Spongebob Squarepants

If that's not mariner enough for you than I'll summon the next mighty squid. :twisted:

Not even a Moderator Squid is gonna help you now . . . :P:D

*sigh* Seems you are not only a stowaway, but an illiterate one as well. Seems you missed the "e-mail the answers to Ithilien" part of the instructions . . . :D:D:D

TWT wrote:

*salutes Scribbles*

Sheesh, no appreciation when a fellow Canuck sticks up for you... :roll: :wink: Where did you develop those mariner skills out in the praries anyway? :wink:

Hmmm, I appreciate you sticking up for me, but ya see, I really didn't need sticking up for . . . you however, might just end up "stuck" to Sol's cabin wall with several very sharp cutlasses . . .

And you know, my ex-father-in-law told me something really interesting . . . apparently the boys from the prairies made the BEST Navy men - they suffered the least from seasickness. This was attributed to them not being bothered by the huge horizon's at sea - seems the rolling ocean and wide horizon was akin to the rolling waves of wheat fields under, you guessed it, an endless horizon.

Go figure. :P

:D:D:D

Ooooh look! A new Deck Swabbing Device!!

grabs Spongebob_Spampants, dips him headfirst into a bucket of bleach and detergent and hands him feet-first to Angelus

Get busy Stalker Angel, or I'll let Sol have at ya again. :D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Scribbles wrote:grabs Spongebob_Spampants, dips him headfirst into a bucket of bleach and detergent and hands him feet-first to Angelus

Way to go paisano! It's about time he got a bath... ;)

Seems you missed the "e-mail the answers to Ithilien" part of the instructions . . .

No I saw them, I just thought it much funnier (and stowaway/pirate-like) to post them here. ;)

I remember that my great uncle was in the Canadian NAVY years ago and he told us an interesting story. He was in the division that scuba-dives for dead bodies (what a nice job). One day when doing the above he encountered a giant lobster. Apparently he wrestled the lobster to the surface and subdued it (I think he might of had help with that part). Anyway the lobster was so big that they had a BBQ on the beach for the whole Navy section. (BTW, this is Canada I wouldn't be surprised if the anount of NAVY men here amounted to more than few people... :roll: )
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:08 am

Thewhitetree wrote:I remember that my great uncle was in the Canadian NAVY years ago and he told us an interesting story. He was in the division that scuba-dives for dead bodies (what a nice job). One day when doing the above he encountered a giant lobster. Apparently he wrestled the lobster to the surface and subdued it (I think he might of had help with that part). Anyway the lobster was so big that they had a BBQ on the beach for the whole Navy section. (BTW, this is Canada I wouldn't be surprised if the anount of NAVY men here amounted to more than few people... :roll: )

ROFL!! Wow, now that is a pretty good Maritime twist on the old "It was Thiiiiiis Big Fish Story" I've ever heard!!

Maybe Sol will waive your introductory bilge and scupper cleaning duties for that one . . .

SilverScribe

Postby §ol » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:23 am

SilverScribe wrote:
Thewhitetree wrote:I remember that my great uncle was in the Canadian NAVY years ago and he told us an interesting story. He was in the division that scuba-dives for dead bodies (what a nice job). One day when doing the above he encountered a giant lobster. Apparently he wrestled the lobster to the surface and subdued it (I think he might of had help with that part). Anyway the lobster was so big that they had a BBQ on the beach for the whole Navy section. (BTW, this is Canada I wouldn't be surprised if the anount of NAVY men here amounted to more than few people... :roll: )

ROFL!! Wow, now that is a pretty good Maritime twist on the old "It was Thiiiiiis Big Fish Story" I've ever heard!!

Maybe Sol will waive your introductory bilge and scupper cleaning duties for that one . . .

It was amusing enough, but I can't waive duties for funny stories. Of course, he seems to have no interest in joining the Guild, nor of pulling his own weight around here to pay for the fare of his stowing away, so *clamps a collar on TWT's neck and chains him to the deck* He'll start cleaning up around himself soon enough, otherwise it'll get a mite uncomfortable for him ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:27 am

We got any guns on this thing? I reckon since I am in the Navy I should handle those. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby §ol » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:50 am

Ah, but you're a Mariner, toby. You're telling me you don't have your own ship? :D
§ol
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:24 pm

oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby §ol » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:40 pm

Impressive. And here I thought that my ship manned by the souls of those I had killed was snazzy.

How did you get the metal to float? Magic of some sort? :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:53 pm

I don' need no steenkin majic, its all displacement. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:01 pm

oldtoby wrote:I don' need no steenkin majic, its all displacement. :wink:

:rofl:

Meester Mexeecan. You seem to dispense movie quotes at the correct moments all the time Toby! :D

Of course, he seems to have no interest in joining the Guild, nor of pulling his own weight around here to pay for the fare of his stowing away

Interest there is but, limited time is. Thoughtful are the questions, slow my brain processes things during the week while at college I am.

I'm going to ask my grandfather if there are any pictures of that lobster. I'm curious to see just how big it was. Probably no more than a couple feet long. I suppose a lobster that's 2-3 feet long could feed a bunch of people...

;)
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:15 pm

Thewhitetree wrote:I'm going to ask my grandfather if there are any pictures of that lobster. I'm curious to see just how big it was. Probably no more than a couple feet long. I suppose a lobster that's 2-3 feet long could feed a bunch of people...

;)

Oh, I think. ;)

Sol, make TWT fish for lobster to pay his fare . . . hehehe, I LOOOOOOOVE Lobster . . . goes good with the rum.

Toby . . . :roll: That's hardly Middle Earth Marinership there! Y'all need something more like this . . .

Tall Ship

Mmmmmmmm . . .

SilverScribe

Postby §ol » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:13 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Thewhitetree wrote:I'm going to ask my grandfather if there are any pictures of that lobster. I'm curious to see just how big it was. Probably no more than a couple feet long. I suppose a lobster that's 2-3 feet long could feed a bunch of people...

;)

Oh, I think. ;)

Sol, make TWT fish for lobster to pay his fare . . . hehehe, I LOOOOOOOVE Lobster . . . goes good with the rum.

If he can catch and cook, I'd be up for it ;)

/was on a deep sea fishing trip where someone caught a swordfish. And where he almost caught a baby shark. ^_^
§ol
Mariner

Postby Angelus_Fontaine » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:00 am

I suppose a lobster that's 2-3 feet long could feed a bunch
of people...

Yes, but best be careful TWT a lobster that size would have fairly
good size pinchers, could pack quite a wollup. :D

You will be cleaning your own blood from them. With your tongues. Am I understood?

*shivers neath the timbers and thinks that sounds absolutely scrumptious* =:)

I expected better discipline from one of the Easterlings than
one of the sniveling dogs of Gondor.

agrees about sniveling dogs of Gondor :P

I'm a fairly cheeky Easterling §ol, least that's what I've been told
BUT I do know when to shut up and take orders unlike some around here. :wink:

Salutes and pulls off his shirt revealing a bronzed and muscular chest with just a spattering of chest hair in all the right places and retrieves the spongy squishy thing from the Scribe to dutifully compy, for now :whistle:

Edits in attempt to not stretch the page :roll:
Angelus_Fontaine
Shield Bearer

Postby §ol » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:15 am

Angelus_Fontaine wrote:
I expected better discipline from one of the Easterlings than one of the sniveling dogs of Gondor.

agrees about sniveling dogs of Gondor :P

I'm a fairly cheeky Easterling §ol, least that's what I've been told BUT I do know when to shut up and take orders unlike some around here. :wink:

Salutes and pulls off his shirt revealing a bronzed and muscular chest with just a spattering of chest hair in all the right places and retrieves the spongy squishy thing from the Scribe to dutifully compy, for now :roll:

Good to hear, sailor. I think we'll get along nicely. I'll have the scullion maid *nods at TWT* prepare you a meal. :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:30 am

Angelus_Fontaine wrote:Salutes and pulls off his shirt revealing a bronzed and muscular chest with just a spattering of chest hair in all the right places . . .

:roll:

Then again, y'all just might make a decent sparring partner for this grouchy and somewhat bloodthirsty peredhel . . . :P=:)

Oh Scullion Maid!! I need a fresh rum n' . . . er . . . rum.

SilverScribe

Postby oldtoby » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:31 am

SilverScribe wrote:Toby . . . :roll: That's hardly Middle Earth Marinership there! Y'all need something more like this . . .

Tall Ship

Mmmmmmmm . . .

Well, What can I say? When I comes to fighting ships I'm more of a Isengard man than a man of Numenor. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:33 am

*snicker*

Silly studmuffin, Isengard didn't have any ships . . .

Oh.

Right.

Still, I say we dress you up in a Royal Navy yew-eeeee-form and make you stand before the mast for a few days . . .

But first, drinks for the officers and Second Mates! Erm, with the Captain's permission, of course . . .

SilverScribe

Postby §ol » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:05 am

SilverScribe wrote:
Angelus_Fontaine wrote:Salutes and pulls off his shirt revealing a bronzed and muscular chest with just a spattering of chest hair in all the right places . . .

:roll:

Then again, y'all just might make a decent sparring partner for this grouchy and somewhat bloodthirsty peredhel . . . :P=:)

Wow. I am slipping. I had to look up what that meant. ;)

But first, drinks for the officers and Second Mates! Erm, with the Captain's permission, of course . . .

Knowing her, I doubt she'd mind. Unless we polished it all off without her. *knocks one back* Let's get started on making her mind, shall we? :D
§ol
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:52 pm

§ol wrote:If he can catch and cook, I'd be up for it :wink:

Can, can, and won't. ;)

OK, alright.

*catches world record lobseter and makes the world's most delicious meal*

Yes. I'm that dam good!

;)

I'll probably answer those questions on the weekend. College is calling me now... :roll:
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Ithilien » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:02 am

*comes up from her cabin below deck*

Ahoy there! On yer toes!

What's that I hear? The crew attempting to do away with all the rum? :shock: That's absolutely inappropiate. Put those bottles away, ye wharf-rats! I have announcements to make, so be quiet.

Firstly, glad to see higher ranking officers imposing some discipline unto these urchins here. §ol, Scribe, extra ration of grog for you tonight. But don't let me catch you at the bottles without permission again! Yes, that goes for you too, §ol.

*walks around the deck, examining the new faces*

Uhm.

Well, I have on my desk the examinations of two new crewmen, and it's fallen to me to see whether they're sea-worthy or not. Upon careful consideration, I've decided to officially welcome them aboard the
Calacolindo.

Angelus_Fontaine, congratulations on becoming Deckhand!!

*shakes hands with the tan Easterling and awards him with a bottle of rum*

Keep swabbing, then. :P

I've also to congratulate one Nicasam, but he appears to be on French leave. If anyone sees him, send him to me for his bottle of rum and his sponge. :wink:

And it appears we have a kitchen helper! That is well, for the moment. I've been itching for some salmagundi, TWT. What say you? :D

By the by, Scribe... You've been Second Mate for so long, would a promotion quiz interest you? ;)

That's that, then. *sniffs the wind, looks up to the clear sky* All right, ye rosewater sailors, weigh anchor! Let us away. This brig needs to stretch her legs. :thumbsup:

*wanders off to the prow, trying to remain captain-ish and not to dissolve into a fit of 'squee-ing'*

8)
Ithilien
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:51 pm

Its nice to see this thread sailing along at such a nice pace. The previous thread was dead for sooo long... :roll:

I'll be dropping you a note on the weekend Ithilien. :)

That is well, for the moment. I've been itching for some salmagundi, TWT.

Sorry. Ghandi's dead, he can't help you now. :wink:
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth