- The Mariners' Guild -

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Thewhitetree » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanks!

*switches to Firefox*

I hate Active X on IE. It bugs me to no end... :evil:

And it looks like in a few hours I might too be a mariner.

:whistle:
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby §ol » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:42 am

No longer a few hours. Looks like you're no longer a stowaway :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:28 pm

§ol wrote:Then there's the features. Popup blocking is something that I HOPE every IE user has a plugin added to handle. It's built into Firefox, but not something that I would expect to be a huge change.

Windows 2000 Pro and XP now have Pop Up Blocking built into the browser as well . . . no plug ins required . . . :P:D

Actually, we are not allowed to install Firefox for two reasons - inventory standard and client standards.

The technical folks simply cannot support a wide range of products, and if folks were running everything but the dog, the tech support folks would die of overwork, not to mention having more problems troubleshooting due to the proliferation of different products over thousands of workstations. So, they have a standard installation configuration and since the base Operating System is Windows . . . :roll:

The clients we support are Government, and the Government standard is presently Microsoft. Go figure.

Well, lookie there. TWT is an honorary member now . . . does this mean he now gets to swab decks for a few months ?

=:)=:)
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby §ol » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:55 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
§ol wrote:Then there's the features. Popup blocking is something that I HOPE every IE user has a plugin added to handle. It's built into Firefox, but not something that I would expect to be a huge change.

Windows 2000 Pro and XP now have Pop Up Blocking built into the browser as well . . . no plug ins required . . . :P:D

Incorrect. It's included in Service Pack 2, which is a subtle difference from the OS's themselves. Whch means that there's a good number of people who don't have it at all, while using those OS's. Furthermore, it's not something that should be an OS problem - it's not the OS's responsibility to take care of those sorts of things. It should be the web browser's responsibility, which brings us back to the problem of IE being integrated into the OS in a hackney way.

Actually, we are not allowed to install Firefox for two reasons - inventory standard and client standards.

Firefox right now is more standards compliant than IE7 Beta, which is (obviously) still a beta and not in public release.

The technical folks simply cannot support a wide range of products, and if folks were running everything but the dog, the tech support folks would die of overwork, not to mention having more problems troubleshooting due to the proliferation of different products over thousands of workstations. So, they have a standard installation configuration and since the base Operating System is Windows . . . :roll:

Alternatively, it wouldn't surprise me if they unilaterally changed to not supporting IE, they would get less actual technical issues, although a steady stream of "why isn't this working." But the point is that more than 1 in every 10 people uses something other than IE. That's a significant enough portion of the population to necessitate support of others OS/web browsers.

The clients we support are Government, and the Government standard is presently Microsoft. Go figure.

It's because they're the people who pay for 'em to get into office. One would imagine that the government would be concern with....say....security ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:38 pm

§ol wrote:[Incorrect. It's included in Service Pack 2, which is a subtle difference from the OS's themselves. Whch means that there's a good number of people who don't have it at all, while using those OS's. Furthermore, it's not something that should be an OS problem - it's not the OS's responsibility to take care of those sorts of things. It should be the web browser's responsibility, which brings us back to the problem of IE being integrated into the OS in a hackney way.

Hey, I'm not arguing. I just know that when I bought a new computer and had Windows 2000 XP installed, it had popup blocking already there. So I guess the Technician automatically installed all the current Service Paks while he was at it . . . ;) And if Windows users don't keep up with the upgrades, it's not Windows that's to blame . . . well okay it is because Windows is a pure crapola OS . . . but if folks are going to run it, then they should at least keep up with it.

§ol wrote:Firefox right now is more standards compliant than IE7 Beta, which is (obviously) still a beta and not in public release.

No, you misunderstood me when I said "inventory standard". Not "standards compliant" as in W3, but it is the company's "inventory" standard. They don't want to have to track more than one browser product . . . though lord knows, we've petitioned and complained and asked often enough . . . :D

§ol wrote:That's a significant enough portion of the population to necessitate support of others OS/web browsers.

Unfortunately, the portion of the population that our company is concerned with aren't Firefox users and aren't likely to be in the near or forseeable future.

§ol wrote:It's because they're the people who pay for 'em to get into office.

Bingo!!! And that's pretty much the pivot that any 'service' business turns on, "Client Pays Bills". ;):P:D

§ol wrote:One would imagine that the government would be concern with....say....security ;)

LOL, not in our lifetime . . . as we all know.

I swear I'm going Linux next time.

:D:D:D
SilverScribe

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 am

Well I know enough about compters and can generally solve all my problems but I'm not to savvy when it comes to programming and software building. I know that service pack-2 has some good things and some very bad things, the least not being that it can erase everything on your computer. :roll:

Would you consider it advisable to upgrade to XP professional? I have a friend who offered to do it for me I just haven't bothered yet...
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby §ol » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:34 pm

I don't find Pro to have enough advantages over Home to warrant updating for the average user.
§ol
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:12 pm

Pro could be useful if you think you'll do much with Excel or Powerpoint. I found myself wishing I had Pro instead of home cause of all the Powerpoint presentations I have had to make in classes the past 5 years.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby §ol » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:18 pm

I assume he was talking about Windows XP, not Office XP, toby.

Furthermore, who needs MS Office? ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Yes I know, Windows XP Pro comes with Excel and Powerpoint in the Office bundle in addition to Word, XP home only includes Word.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby §ol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 am

Perhaps through whatever vendor you purchase your computer with, but Windows and Office are not bundled. That was one of the things that was solidified in the anti-trust lawsuit (and should Microsoft have been broken up, separating Office and Windows was one of the large splits).

If you look on their Home and Pro pages there is no mention of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or Office at all. Note that Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are all editions that can be purchased separately.

Sounds like you just got a decent deal from your vendor, toby.
§ol
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:12 am

Ahhhh ok, I see what yer saying.

I bought a Gateway with the various programs already set up and what not (I know "gasp! you bought a prepackaged computer!? Sacrelige!!) Loaded with XP Home, MS Word and Works. When I bought it I could have paid a bit more and instead got XP Pro, Word, Works, Powerpoint and Excel all loaded on it.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:39 pm

Well IMHO OpenOffice has been miles ahead of Microsoft office in certain aspects at least for years. Not to mention the money factor. ;)

Gateway desktop you mean Toby? I made the mistake of buying a Dell desktop... *grumbles* Gateway's line of products have greatly improved over the last few years putting its desktops and laptops at a high value for a low price. I almost bought a gateway laptop but opted for this Toshiba.

My precioussss...
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby §ol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 pm

oldtoby wrote:I bought a Gateway with the various programs already set up and what not (I know "gasp! you bought a prepackaged computer!? Sacrelige!!) Loaded with XP Home, MS Word and Works. When I bought it I could have paid a bit more and instead got XP Pro, Word, Works, Powerpoint and Excel all loaded on it.

It's not anything to be ashamed of. You're just paying more for less, ultimately. But to be fair, the computer under this desk right now is the first one I built from scratch (my parents' is added to that tally now, and I'll probably be making two of my roommates ones after this semester is over), but it does add a great deal of simplicity.

OO.o has not been ahead of Office for the most part. Its word processor is fine, spreadsheet and slideshow portions leave a bit to be desired (although I've not tried 2 yet).
§ol
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:56 am

Thewhitetree wrote: I made the mistake of buying a Dell desktop... *grumbles*

Funny, I bought a Dell 3 Ghz screamer this spring, and haven't regretted it for an instant. My last desktop was a Dell 450, and until all the spyware and adware weighed it down to a crawl, it was a workhorse.

Now, I have a D-link hardware router (firewall) and have my system set up as a managed desktop. That way, no one and nothing has rights to write to my C:\drive, not even me when I'm not logged on as the Admin.

And I only log on as the Admin when I purposely want to install something, then run NoAdware right away to kill the few parasites that inevitably manage to glom on during that teensy time . . . :roll:

Personally, I think spyware and adware inventors and programmers should be lined up against a wall and shot with a bullet of their own excrement . . . but that's just my opinion . . . :twisted:

SilverScribe

Postby §ol » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:21 pm

SilverScribe wrote:

Personally, I think spyware and adware inventors and programmers should be lined up against a wall and shot with a bullet of their own excrement . . . but that's just my opinion . . . :twisted:

Then best start shooting Dell....or at least reformat before using. ;) They ship their computers with a hidden partition on the hard drive set aside for some stuff that I'm not really sure what it does....we found it on one of the peoples' desktops in my dorm when one of my friends was trying to change his Windows password via a boot-from-CD linux distro.

Oh, and for the "I need IE to work" thing, problem solved ;)

And wait a second...we're asea. What are you folks doing yammering about computers? Swab the deck! Set the lines! We've fallen too far into disarray! What would the Captain say if she were here?

Probably make a disparaging comment about me being high and mighty when it comes to computers :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:17 am

§ol wrote:Then best start shooting Dell....or at least reformat before using. ;) They ship their computers with a hidden partition on the hard drive set aside for some stuff that I'm not really sure what it does....we found it on one of the peoples' desktops in my dorm when one of my friends was trying to change his Windows password via a boot-from-CD linux distro.

Well, if you're not sure what it does, why are you assuming it's bad? Maybe it's for something good, like protecting configuration parameters or initialization routines for restoring the hard drive or Desktop in case of corruption. Maybe it's for power down settings. Why do you automatically jump to the negative conclusion? Sheesh.

I think y'all might get the facts from a Dell technician before y'all start rumor mongering . . . ;)

On another note . . . :P:D

Hmmm, yeah, the decks do need a good swabbing. Where's those new swabbies?!!

starts handing out mops and buckets

SilverScribe

Postby §ol » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:34 am

SilverScribe wrote:
§ol wrote:Then best start shooting Dell....or at least reformat before using. ;) They ship their computers with a hidden partition on the hard drive set aside for some stuff that I'm not really sure what it does....we found it on one of the peoples' desktops in my dorm when one of my friends was trying to change his Windows password via a boot-from-CD linux distro.

I think y'all might get the facts from a Dell technician before y'all start rumor mongering . . . ;)

Don't need to. It's actually there to restore the comp to factory settings - the recovery disc won't work without it. Ie, it has all the crap that everyone immediately removes from their comp installed on it. I just don't trust corporations in general :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:32 pm

SilverScribe wrote:

Funny, I bought a Dell 3 Ghz screamer this spring, and haven't regretted it for an instant. My last desktop was a Dell 450, and until all the spyware and adware weighed it down to a crawl, it was a workhorse.

I know Dell is good, what I meant is I wish I'd done more research before buying Dell. I soon after found much, much better computers for as much as half the price. My complaint about Dell is that they are extremely overpriced. I should have paid more attention to user comments. :roll:

*swabs deck with virtual mop*

;)
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Angelus_Fontaine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Angelus wrote:Will someone please tell me the secret to keep quotes from stretching the page, please?

Internet Explorer sometimes stretches the page on quote boxes. The way to stop it is to put a carriage return right before the closing [ /quote] tag.

I just do it as a matter of course now since I find quote boxes that stretch my browser page exceptionally annoying :P:D:D:D

smacks TWT

Now stop fooling around and put Angelus back! How many times do I have to tell you to not go sticking just any old thing in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!!! Sheesh . . . :roll:=:):D:D:D

:roll: mmmm and no salty aftertaste right TWT?

I'm almost sold on Mozilla tell me more :D
Angelus_Fontaine
Shield Bearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:45 am

More!

;)

Well I'm in class again and things are kind of boring. Last week we studied Legal Citations and we had a lot of fun and learned tones but this week we're doing legal writing and its kinda boring... :|
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:40 pm

Thewhitetree wrote: I soon after found much, much better computers for as much as half the price. My complaint about Dell is that they are extremely overpriced. I should have paid more attention to user comments. :roll:

Actually, that annoyed me when I went to upgrade my old machine too, Dell's used to be much more competitively priced . . . but . . . I also found that with "cheaper" machines you very often don't get what you don't pay for, i.e. Service, technical support, warranty on parts, etc., etc. With these "much, much better computers for half the price" the half of the price that you're not paying for is the service aspects, so after you've bought the thing, you're pretty much on your own. Not ALL of them, of course, but I did shop around before I bought another Dell and that's what I found to be generally the case. Buyer Beware. :D

hands Angelus a mop

You too Angel boy, innuendos aside, you still swab like the rest. ;):P:D

SilverScribe

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:33 am

And a BUMP.

I'm in class anw we have the worst teacher. WE complained about her so this is the absolute final class we have with her... Thank goodness! :roll:
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Ithilien » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:20 am

*wakes up from an overlong nap*

Uh... is the tech-talk over? :P

Anyway.

Congrats on Marinership, TWT! Extra rum for you! :D

*edits first post* Meep, I haven't been around in while.

Scribe, I still owe you something, bad me. I'll dig it up from the depths of my hard drive and you might have a promotion before New Year. :oops:

Hugs and cookies and rum for whoever is around!
Ithilien
Mariner

Postby §ol » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:16 am

Bout time you got back. ;) And I can't guarantee the tech talk is over, but I'm starting to wonder if I should resign here and go join the Pirates Guild to wage war upon you folks. ;) :twisted:
§ol
Mariner

Postby Ithilien » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am

It's a free sea, you can do as you wish, of course.
However... don't expect to hold your honorary position here. Nor all the benefits that come with it. :P
Ithilien
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:58 pm

This barge going anywhere or is it just a pier queen? :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:02 pm

Ithilien wrote:Scribe, I still owe you something, bad me. I'll dig it up from the depths of my hard drive and you might have a promotion before New Year. :oops:

Hugs and cookies and rum for whoever is around!

Oooooo, finally, my promotion? Huzzah!!

Seriously though, I'm just happy to see you back on board, and with rum! Hehehe . . . I'll get the glasses and maybe decorate that plank with §ol again . . . =:)

Now, where's that rope?

SilverScribe

Postby §ol » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 am

Ithilien wrote:It's a free sea, you can do as you wish, of course.
However... don't expect to hold your honorary position here. Nor all the benefits that come with it. :P

Ah, but I'd get those back when I comandeer your vessel ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby Gloamglozer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:58 pm

"Avast yer dogooders! I be Gloam, the Quartermaster of the Nox Intempesta the flagship of the Pirates guild. We be havin some trouble with a floatin island at the moment, but I'm sure we'll get round to either waging war on you lot or just robbin a ship or two. Aharr me hearties!" :twisted:
Gloamglozer
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth