Martial Artists and other Combatants

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Lebasi » Sat May 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello. I haven't watched much anime or had much experience in Japanese martial arts. In fact I've only been fencing since September and I haven't done any other martial arts, although I have considered it and would if I could afford it amidst all of my other sports. Japanese styles sound interesting so if I do start another I might try to find something like that. OK, I'll stop now before I start rambling too much. I hope you enjoy your kendo. :)
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Mon May 31, 2010 6:40 pm

First practice was fun. :) Hopefully I'll be able to make it back on Wednesday. The 'i don't have a clue what I'm doing' is going to take a long time to go away, I think. Right now, I don't know my left from my right, so that's not a terribly auspicious start. I also don't think I'll figure out how to yell when I'm still all tense and nervous.

But everyone was nice and didn't snicker at me or anything, so that's encouraging.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Dubatuluk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:01 am

Neatness! I've been here what? six years? And never knew this guild existed. I'm actually thinking of beginning some martial arts training this summer. There is a Budokan school across town that seems interesting, and a Taekwan Do school as well...I just am unable to decide between them at the moment. :P
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:46 am

Have fun with it, Dubs! Some schools may allow you to attend a trial practice so you can decide if it's for you.

In the news:

Ninjas rescue student from muggers

Ninjas scared off three thugs who had the misfortune to attack the 27-year-old medical student outside their warrior school.

My favorite part of the article was this:
They also failed to notice a ninja, Nathan Smith, standing in the shadows outside the dojo. Mr Smith immediately alerted his sensei, or teacher.
(emphasis mine)

Well, naturally!
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby MithLuin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Just thought I'd resurrect the thread to mention that I'm in bogu now. That means I wear armor, and people can hit me back ;). While I was reluctant to give up my 'immunity', it's certainly a lot more fun to practice in situations that are more interactive than someone patiently standing there and allowing you to hit them. :)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby notoriouskim » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 am

Any room for elves trained in Muay Thai? Haha if so then HELLO!
notoriouskim
Citizen of Imladris

Postby StormCrow_TheGreen » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:26 pm

I forgot if I already posted here, but I'll do my intro again.

I started in Shaolin, Kempo, and Karate. After that I got into Western Martial Arts with the Liechtenauer tradition, then Italian Armored Combat. Somewhere in there I started doing medieval/Renaissance Tournaments and also Epee and Saber fencing. I mostly am in Tai Chi Chuan (and some Tai Chi Dao) now.
StormCrow_TheGreen
Shield Bearer

Re:

Postby Lord_Cie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am

MithLuin wrote:Just thought I'd resurrect the thread to mention that I'm in bogu now. That means I wear armor, and people can hit me back ;). While I was reluctant to give up my 'immunity', it's certainly a lot more fun to practice in situations that are more interactive than someone patiently standing there and allowing you to hit them. :)

Are you still practicing? I stopped for two years since I last posted here, but I rejoined almost two years ago and I now practice Iaido as well as Kendo. It's been a wonderful trip so far, and I hope never to stop.
Lord_Cie
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth