Martial Artists and other Combatants

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Martial Artists and other Combatants

Postby Morieru » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Trained fighters rejoice!

I hope to establish a nice home for us here on TORC, so state your areas of study and accomplishments or anything else you want!

I am a yellow belt in Cross Training of Judo, Korean Karate, Kickboxing, Tae Kwondo, Hapkido, and Weapons Training.

I'm also hoping to begin training of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by summer time.

The Legendary fighters of TORC

Morieru
Gwenelf
Skuld
PrincessIlarian
Ketha-Baranduin
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Skyfiery
Dlloyd
Olddwarf
Luthriel_Greenleaf
Last edited by Morieru on Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby Gloamglozer » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:51 am

I have always wanted to learn martial arts. But unfortunately I never have.

May I stick around just to read what you fighters talk about :D

Gloam
Gloamglozer
Ranger of the North

Postby Morieru » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:06 am

Sure thing, I'm sure you could get some great info from us here.

Maybe we can even get you started ;)
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 am

Hiya Morieru!! Slightly belated welcome to TORC! :)

I'm certainly not a trained fighter in anything; I started Kung Fu on Wednesday and have had a total of one class. :D I'm finally over being sore (I'm rather out of shape, heh..) just in time for Monday's class!!

So I'll be learning right along with this guild. :) I am a big weapons fan and hope to learn some KF with weapons eventually.

I also might be taking Tang Soo Do, a form of Korean Karate, over the summer. Depends.. I've heard horror stories about people trying to "unlearn" one style so they can learn another. Any thoughts on that, Morieru? (Do you have a nickname?)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Well that's great that you're just starting, it's always rough in the beginning but is well worth the time and effort :).

Thanks also for the welcome :D

Weapons are deffinately interesting, in my opinion the nunchuks are especially fun. Our Master taught us a couple of tricks for flashiness just to impress along with useable movements.

I've heard some about Tang Soo Do but I do not know much about it, you may have quite a few conflicts trying to do that because learning from more than one person can cause a lot of errors. But, it is possible to do of course. I would speak to your current master before taking Tang Soo Do just to get his/her input.

as far as a nickname I dont have one im aware of lol
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 pm

We could call you Mori. Or... Ori? Or...Moru.. or...something else. :D

I don't know much about Tang Soo Do either. It's a new school which just opened up about two months ago; they're right next to the coffee shop where I practically live (:D), so I've watched a few classes. Being new to martial arts in general, though, I don't know what to look for in a style. My Kung Fu master did mention, however, something to the effect that karate moves are designed to be single (one strike and you're down) whereas in KF, the moves are designed to flow together, one after another. Or something like that. I was a little preoccupied trying to get the strike down. ;)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:55 pm

hehe well whatever you would like to call me, you may do so.

As for the different strikes, yes I understand that. Karate is meant to end a fight quickly by throwing the opponent to the floor and having the advantage. So far I know 8 different Karate self-defense moves and they all involve putting someone on the floor. Kung Fu on the other hand is a fighting style, not necessarily self-defense, so that will help you when you have a formidable opponent.
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Hehehe. There are some rather formidable opponents in that class. A bunch of big guys... ;)

Had my second class this evening. I've come to the conclusion that when the semester is over, all of my apprehensions about looking stupid in front of people will have been beaten out of me. :D Rocket kicks make me look stupid. ;)

Ok, Mori, I hate to have to ask this, but.. are you a guy or a girl?

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby skuld » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 pm

I did some Tae Kwon Do in Thailand.
I haven't done any since I got back to the States though.

I really need to get going though, get back into shape.
Maybe I will be able to motivate myself.

: )
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby Morieru » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:05 am

Well Gwen or Sil, whichever you prefer, everyone's a little embarrassed at first, but you'll get through it :). After all, one of the goals of Martial Arts is self-confidence. (Even if that sounds corny)

Ok, Mori, I hate to have to ask this, but.. are you a guy or a girl?

Heh, well it's not too easy to tell over itnernet, but I am in fact a guy.

And Skuld, that's awesome you did Tae Kwon Do in Thailand, I personally like that style, lots of good quick kicks involved. Did you live there or were you just visiting when you did?
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby PrincessIlarian » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 pm

I have taken Tae Kwon Do for....seven, eight years now, and I am a first-dan (degree) black belt. :D This may come in handy when I go to college in NYC. We must see. My girl friend is a first-degree and my guy friend is a second-degree. We make a weird bunch - she's 38, he's 26, I'm, well, not - but all three of us are best friends. :D

There is one really annoying older guy in my class, and my proudest moment may be when we were sparring and I knocked him down in about thirty seconds. I'm also pretty tough - I've taken kicks in the face and stuff, and for some reason, I stick with it....I broke a brick when I was....15, I think, and on one try. That was pretty cool. :D

~Ilarian
PrincessIlarian
Ranger of the North

Postby Morieru » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oh man that's awesome. A lot of Martial Arts classes can help you make friends, unfortunately for me most of the people I have to deal with are lazy, cocky, and not to be mean but weak. Some of the adults are really cool though, but the other teenagers pretty much suck :/. I can't wait to break bricks, we're still on boards for right now though, hopefully soon!!
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:41 pm

Oooooh, breaking bricks! Fun fun! That was just about the first question my sisters had when they found out I was taking Kung Fu: "When are you going to break boards??" I don't think we break boards in Kung Fu. But the advanced class uses swords; that's my goal. :)

Ilarian-- Eight years! Wow! :) That's impressive. One of my friends took Tae Kwon Do for about 7 years and is now un-learning it to learn Kung Fu. I guess we have a TKD class here, but everyone says they're just a little too.. odd.. :whistle:

Doing stuff like that with friends always makes it better.. someone to laugh with when you totally screw up. :P (Erm, did I type that out loud?)

Mori-- Mostly I go by Sil (short for Isilmë, who is a fan-fic and RP character), but I'll answer to Gwen. :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:14 am

Mori-- Mostly I go by Sil (short for Isilmë, who is a fan-fic and RP character), but I'll answer to Gwen.

Excellent, then I shall call you Sil :thumbsup:

Edit: For spelling error
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:28 pm

We musn't let it die!! *Throws a party to lure--erm, invite new members into the group* :)

More class tonight! My knuckles are sore and red and I burst some blood vessels or something right over them... Which means I'll have bragging rights tomorrow. That, and I won't be able to move my hand. :P (Which won't be good, because I have a paper due on Thursday and one due on Friday)

So how's everyone else? :grouphug:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Ouch, sounds like you were doing a hard workout, that is good bragging rights :thumbsup:

I just had clas last night, it wasn't too different from the norm, except I found out I have a belt test next month for green belt :), can't wait for that.
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby Ketha-Baranduin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:57 pm

Hey I fence dose that count :?
Ketha-Baranduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm

Ummm... I dunno! Up to Mori, I suppose.

I used to fence! It was fun! We mostly did foil, but every now and then they let us use the sabres, and since we didn't really know what we were doing, we just ended up beating each other. Which resulted in major bruises/welts and more bragging rights. :P Ok, maybe not the bragging rights. My university has a fencing club, but I'm too chicken to join. And too out of practice. Heh..

My knuckle-bruises are barely visible! Not fair! *Pouts* :P

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:33 pm

Sure that counts Ketha!

Fencing is deffinately a type of combat, so I welcome you to the Guild of Combatants :). I'd like to hear about the type of fencing you do, and how long you've done it for if you don't mind.

Aww poor Gwen, no bragging, but at least you're healed up to make some new ones :wink:
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:02 pm

every now and then they let us use the sabres, and since we didn't really know what we were doing, we just ended up beating each other. Which resulted in major bruises/welts

I've only fenced sabre once. I got a huge welt, but it was located in such a spot that I didn't care to show it; if you take my meaning. :P

I'd like to hear about the type of fencing you do, and how long you've done it for if you don't mind.

I do foil. I'd like to start sabre, but I can't untill I can drive myself. :cry2: I've been fencing for about four or five months.

EDIT. This Kata not mara
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Morieru » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:36 pm

Haha, I think I get your meaning.

Sounds like Sabre is for the hardcore, all these welts going around, i'm jealous, maybe I should give it a whirl :)

I've read up on it before, but I forget, what is foil exactly?
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby skyfiery » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:17 pm

Finally! A thread for martial artists! *grins*

I'm a blue belt in Taekwondo, but unfortunately, have stopped for a while. I did the Yang-style Tai chi quan for a while, but due to the impatience of youth, found it too slow for me.

Now, I just practice sporadically with a few friends who combine styles all on their own, with the aim of effectiveness, not sport. LOL.

I'm thinking of trying out Wing Chun though.

And GwenElf, a friend of mine in California is a certified Tang Soo Do instructor, I think. :) Too bad we don't have that over here.

Sky
skyfiery
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:28 am

skyfiery wrote:And GwenElf, a friend of mine in California is a certified Tang Soo Do instructor, I think. :) Too bad we don't have that over here.

Where's "over here", if you don't mind my asking?

I've never heard of Wing Chun; what kind of style is it?

Mori-- Foil and epee are both used for piercing/poking. Foil was originally practiced with the intent to kill, so the main target area for foil is the chest (waist to shoulders, if I remember correctly). The point of epee is to draw first blood, so you can strike anywhere; I've been stabbed in the toe. :D Sabre is a slashing technique; hence the welts rather than the bruises you get from the first two. The rules for sabre are slightly different; I don't think you can cross your feet (to move forward) or something like that. I've forgotten most of the details. :P

There were a few students practicing "Ninja 101" in the common room last night. It was pretty funny; the guy put a cup on his head and the girl was trying to jump and kick it off.

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Blue belt in Taekwondo, that's good work. I should be able to earn my blue belt in 3 months, that's the standard time it takes for a belt test. (also the reccomended time).

I have never heard of Wing Chun either though, what is that exactly?

And Gwen, I see, I hadn't really given much thought to the different paths you can take in fencing, but they all sound very cool to me. And what is Ninja 101? I've heard of it before but I do not know what it is.
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Actually it was a joke. 101 is the standard "beginner" class number here at my school. So Ninja 101 is the basics of being a ninja, but it doesn't really exist. Mostly they were running and jumping and kicking and trying to look cool. :D I mentioned ninjitsu to the girl and she looked confused.

I don't know the belt colour progression.. where is blue in the rankings?

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Morieru » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:08 pm

In my class blue comes after purple, it could be different at other gyms though.

I was asking about Ninja 101 because I saw some video of a bunch of guys doing crazy stuff like that in a huge training room, so I thought it might be real lol. I guess not :P
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby skyfiery » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:34 am

GwenElf wrote:
skyfiery wrote:And GwenElf, a friend of mine in California is a certified Tang Soo Do instructor, I think. :) Too bad we don't have that over here.

Where's "over here", if you don't mind my asking?

~Sil

In Singapore.

Wing Chun is a style of martial arts originally developed by nuns in China, I believe. It was developed by women, for women, and from what I heard, uses rather brutal and direct attacks as its moves.

Sky
skyfiery
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:57 am

skyfiery wrote:Wing Chun is a style of martial arts originally developed by nuns in China, I believe. It was developed by women, for women, and from what I heard, uses rather brutal and direct attacks as its moves.

Oooh, that's cool! Martial arts especially for women.. =:)

Singapore! Yet another place I'd love to visit but probably never will.

Speaking of visiting, the advanced Kung Fu class here is traveling to China this summer. They're going to go around to various schools and meet some KF masters.. I'm so jealous! ;)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby skyfiery » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 am

GwenElf wrote:
skyfiery wrote:Wing Chun is a style of martial arts originally developed by nuns in China, I believe. It was developed by women, for women, and from what I heard, uses rather brutal and direct attacks as its moves.

Oooh, that's cool! Martial arts especially for women.. =:)

Singapore! Yet another place I'd love to visit but probably never will.

Speaking of visiting, the advanced Kung Fu class here is traveling to China this summer. They're going to go around to various schools and meet some KF masters.. I'm so jealous! ;)

~Sil

LOL. Yep. For women. :D

Singapore is really too small to have much interesting things happening over here. Even the martial arts offered are pretty small, restricted mainly to the Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Malay arts.

Is the class going to visit Shaolin Temple also? Would love to visit that place, but heard that they're becoming more commercialized. And while I think they really should retain their tradition, it's a fine line and a hard balance between retaining their art for its own value, and making sure the art doesn't go obselete.

Sky
skyfiery
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:53 am

I don't know for sure if they're visiting the Temple, but I'm pretty sure they will. I know our sifu has been there before; he was telling us that his four-year-old son has t-shirts from the Temple and that all of his classmates wanted to know what it was. :D

Class tonight! Yay!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth