Alliances and Guilds Forum Cleanup - Update

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Alliances and Guilds Forum Cleanup - Update

Postby Daefaroth » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:58 pm

The long awaited clean up of the Alliances and Guilds Forum is now at hand. New Guidelines have been posted at the top of this forum. The actual clean up process will begin a month from the posting of this notice.

Here is how it will work:

- Guild or Alliance threads that have been inactive for over 6 months will be locked. Returning participants can request re-activation by e-mailing the Moderators. If the thread falls within the posted Guidelines and no other thread of the same theme has been started in the meantime, it can be restored to active status.

- The originator or current active 'manager' of any Guild or Alliance threads that may require movement to other forums will be contacted via e-mail prior to action.

- Guilds or Alliance threads that fall outside of the posted Guidelines will be locked.

Concerns or questions may be posted here or addressed to the Moderators via e-mail.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby Daefaroth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:24 pm

The first pass through the Forum has been completed.

The remaining reviews will occur slowly over the next few weeks.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby truehobbit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:45 am

Yesterday, I stumbled over a Guild thread in Books (other) and heard of the new rules. So, I came here today to see what's going on. I read the new guidelines and am using this thread, as mentioned in the first post, to ask questions. :)
I must admit I don't understand what this is all about, so apart from the question I had meant to ask yesterday, I should like to ask some more questions.

Firstly, what is the aim of this reform? Is the Guild forum going to be closed? Or is it just getting too big?

I hardly know this forum, so I'm not aware of any problems that might have occasioned the new rules (and I ask your patience if that makes me ask stupid questions :) ) , but I seem to remember that a restriction on duplication of themes etc had already been in place for a while.

Also, the Talk forum currently allows more spammy posts and threads than it used to a year or two ago, and IIRC this change was on the reason that bandwidth issues aren't so big anymore.

Lastly, I think that surely every Guild theme is covered by one of the other forums, as they are either about themes like literature, movies, games etc or just for sociable purposes and therefore belong in Talk (by the new guidelines). Hence every Guild and Alliance should find itself in one of the other forums soon.
That's why I'm thinking that maybe the forum is meant to be closed eventually?

But the above question is just out of curiosity. What I'm really confused about is the status of the Guilds now that they are in different forums.

I hardly ever venture in this forum, so when I do, I know I'm in unfamiliar territory, and accordingly tread very carefully. I know that these are communities and that you don't just barge in casually - I treat them much like I would an RP.
When, however, I come across a Guild thread in books I'm not so aware of this. I'm in my home territory (so to speak) and I post the way I'm used to posting there. So, yesterday, I barged in a Guild thread and before I remembered about Guilds, made a casual post as I would in any discussion thread.

So, now I'm wondering if the special status of Guilds is still to be respected as it used to be, even when they are in different forums?

And if so, I think it's not a very good thing to scatter them all around the place and still expect people to be aware of their special status.
True, it usually says "Guild" in the thread title, so maybe I'm being silly, but I see an essential difference between "normal" threads and Guild/RP threads. I always thought the idea was that all the "normal" threads in all the other forums are open for all, while RPs and Guilds may make membership dependent on certain conditions and the thread-starter's "ok". And I've found that for them to have their separate forums helped to make this distinction visible.
So this new rule is a bit confusing to me.

I hope this doesn't come across as undue criticism, it's just meant as an attempt to understand. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Daefaroth » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:33 pm

Good questions, all.

Q: Firstly, what is the aim of this reform? Is the Guild forum going to be closed? Or is it just getting too big?

The aim of the reform is to tidy up this forum, similar to the way the Prancing Pony was tidied up a few years ago. There is no plan to close the Alliances and Guilds forum. It was not getting too big but merely too cluttered with very old and mostly inactive threads.

Q: I hardly know this forum, so I'm not aware of any problems that might have occasioned the new rules (and I ask your patience if that makes me ask stupid questions :) ) , but I seem to remember that a restriction on duplication of themes etc had already been in place for a while.

The previous Guidelines were only temporary, since the owners had not yet settled on what they wanted to see for this forum. They have now decided and the new Guidelines have been posted.

Q: Lastly, I think that surely every Guild theme is covered by one of the other forums, as they are either about themes like literature, movies, games etc or just for sociable purposes and therefore belong in Talk (by the new guidelines).

Originally, the "themes" of most Alliances and Guilds were more Tolkien in nature, and so did not fit in the Talk or "off topic" forum. While this is not strictly true any longer, the new Guidelines do state that Tolkien themes are "preferred".

The Talk Forum is already large enough. There is no plan to move the entire contents of the Guilds and Alliances forum into Talk. Only very specifically-themed threads that the staff feel have a definite, and better, fit elsewhere have been moved.

Q: What I'm really confused about is the status of the Guilds now that they are in different forums.
-and-
Q: So, now I'm wondering if the special status of Guilds is still to be respected as it used to be, even when they are in different forums?
-and-
Q: I always thought the idea was that all the "normal" threads in all the other forums are open for all, while RPs and Guilds may make membership dependent on certain conditions and the thread-starter's "ok". And I've found that for them to have their separate forums helped to make this distinction visible. So this new rule is a bit confusing to me.

The threads that have been moved are no longer "Guild" threads, so there is no longer a "special "status" for them. They are simply threads that were started up in the Alliances and Guilds forum. In retrospect, e-mails to the thread originators should have included a request to remove the word "Guild" from their thread titles, to avoid confusion.

Anyone may now post in these threads and not have to request to be "allowed to join".

Q: And if so, I think it's not a very good thing to scatter them all around the place and still expect people to be aware of their special status.

They are not being scattered all around the place. A very small number of threads have been moved to Forums where they are a more accurate fit. And as has been mentioned, they no longer have special status.

Q: I hope this doesn't come across as undue criticism, it's just meant as an attempt to understand.

I understand perfectly. I hope the information has helped answer your questions.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby truehobbit » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:26 am

Thanks for the detailed answers, Daefaroth! All cleared up now! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby EntwifeLost » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:34 pm

Hooms Daefaroth...
Did the Original List of Guilds fall by the wayside? Figured alot of those on the list were oldies but goodies... I see someone else has posted a list, although small.... I still have the full list saved as text... Any suggestions, or should i just forget all my years of hard work on THE LIST OF GUILDS?? boo hoo.... Enty whimpers away in the dark forest... :cry2:
EntwifeLost
Ranger of the North

Postby Daefaroth » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:07 pm

EntwifeLost wrote:Hooms Daefaroth...
Did the Original List of Guilds fall by the wayside? Figured alot of those on the list were oldies but goodies... I see someone else has posted a list, although small.... I still have the full list saved as text... Any suggestions, or should i just forget all my years of hard work on THE LIST OF GUILDS?? boo hoo.... Enty whimpers away in the dark forest... :cry2:

EntwifeLost, all your years of hard work are preserved.

The original thread has been saved, completely intact, in an Archive. However, it was quite out of date since the clean up of the Forum.

What assistance can the staff provide you?
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby EntwifeLost » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 am

Ah - Thanks for the answer. I suppose the old list, was just that...Old... Like the Ents! its just good to know , its still there.... in the dark forests.

No assistance necessary... Although the offer was tempting... (hehe)

Enty-Hugs
EntwifeLost
Ranger of the North

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth