The Guild of Beer Drinkers

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

The Guild of Beer Drinkers

Postby IamMoose » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:41 am

Okay I once before tried to open a guild and it sank without a trace - it's still down there on the list, looking unloved sniff sniff, if anyone is interested; the guild of fans of the nineteenth century - so I thought I'd have one more stab and if this one sinks, I shall remain forever Guildless..

Anyway, this is the Beer Drinkers guild!! I am rather a fan of beer or rather, I am rather a fan of lager which would get me shot in most places where hairy real ale fanciers gather. But this is a guild for people who like ALL kinds of beer - lager, real ale, bitter, stout. There will be weekly tasting sessions!! Is anyone with me?

(do go take a look at the nineteenth century guild if you've even a vague interest in that era and I'll be your friend for ever ;)).
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby olddwarf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:20 am

Guess three times, what is dwarf`s favourite drink? :o I dunno if you ever have been in Latvia, but i think here`s the best beer in world (especially Aldaris). you can try www.aldaris.lv - there`s lot of fun!!! Extra question - do you like vodka?
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IamMoose » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 am

I am not a huge fan of vodka to be honest.. don't really like spirits at all :). But yeah Europe is supposed to have some great local beers!

There's a beer festival coming up here soon .. maybe I should try and attend, broaden my beer drinking scope a bit.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:52 am

This thread should give you an idea as to what I like.

That's right. Guinness, Guinness and more Guinness. Its the main part of a healty diet and should be drank with every sort of substance.

I like goin' for a pint of the black anywhere in town but no place beats the Duke of Richmond down on Queen & Younge street here in Toronto. I buy it in cans and its not that bad really, expecially with the widget and all but really doesn't equal the pub pint taste.

I also like Belgian beers. Try Hoegaarten, a white wheat beer that's a little cloudy. Very unique. The Canadian beer St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is rated as the second best stout in the world by beer connoisseurs, a very rich drink with a dash of bitter that thankfully doesn't linger on your tongue longer than a few minutes after consumption.

I'm not big on really mainstream beers. I'd rather stab myself than drink American swill that is Budweiser, Milller, etc. I don't consider Canadian swill to be any better.

A good brew made here in Toronto is the Steamwhistle. Excellent pilsner with a unique taste and a long lasting head.

Other than Guinness my favorite beer would have to be:

Boddintons
Kilkenny's
Smithwicks
Newcastle Brown

In mainstream Belgian beers I do like Stella Artois. Lovely pint for a hot summer day.

C'est tout pour moi,

TWT
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Garrett_J » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:38 am

I don't like many beers(I usually drink spirits but I'm getting used to beer). I hate the brands that EVERYONE drinks i.e Bud, Labatt and Miller I prefer the obscure beers that few have ever heard of.

I had this particularly good beer at my friends house, it was called Schlenkerla Rauchbier(sp?) it was a smoked beer. . . the taste was definatly different, not something I'd drink while I was out with friends but more of something I'd have with dinner.

My favorite beer ever has to be Trois Pistoles(Canadian). It's a great dark beer, it's not too thick and it has a hint of chocolate.
*Garrett's mouth waters and he wishes it wasn't 10:30 in the morning*

Edit: I forgot about Stella, I love Stella but I wish I could afford it. . . $45/24
Garrett_J
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IamMoose » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:00 pm

I am not a fan of Stella I must say .. it's just too strong for me; I prefer to drink something that's about 4%. Don't like Guinness either, though my ex used to drink it quite regularly ;). It looks nice, especially when they put a shamrock in the froth, but I just didn't like the taste..
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby olddwarf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:17 am

As i`ve told before, my favourite is Aldaris, but from foreign beers i prefer Carlsberg and Heineken. About that American beers - i dunno if that drink can be named beer :( They even have non-alcoholical beer, can you imagine? I`m also not very fond of Guiness :wink: . Anyway, i thinkwe could to discuss positive and negative aspects of beer, `cause people have sometimes very funny views about that (do you know that there are quite a lot of proteins i beer :!: , that`s why beer drunkers have great stomach). I`l wait for your ideas, but now i`m going to get some beer :)
(besides, IamMoose, do you know something about Easterling`s war against Good? There`s a thread in Welcome, and i gladly would take part in, but it seems there are no others who want to.)
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IamMoose » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:51 am

Hiya! Ah I just replied to your welcome thread before I saw this :).

Yeah beer does have the unfortunate tendency to give one a stomach *sighs and looks down at hers*. I suppose there's a lot of calories in it .. much more than in spirits. It's more satisfying than spirits though!! A pint of beer is much more like a meal than a whisky or brandy is..
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Morieru » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:15 am

Well I am an American, and I can tell you first hand American beer is just fine. Of course most people don't drink non-alcoholic beer, that would be pointless. But, I would say Miller and Coors are up at the top of the list for me. As for foriegn beers I don't drink them, save Heineken which I enjoy. Fortunately I haven't drank too much beer, so my stomach hasn't managed to overpass the abs...yet.
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby olddwarf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:45 am

Hey Morieru, how about your war against Good? Have you forgot about this? But i`ve mentioned that there are not a lot people who want to join us. Maybe you want to come to prancing pony, where i`ve set up my RP(Grey Legion) - main storyline is written so you can continue (I soon will put some posts in which i`ll describe features of involved tribes, events and pre-history)
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby olddwarf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:50 am

To IamMoose: At last someone has answered to my welcome thread! i don`t understand why here are so little of dwarfs - it seems nobody likes them :(
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Bolg » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:48 am

How about Bitburger ? I have not heard too many German beers mentioned. I would not name it # 1 but it is currently my favorite. Newcastle Brown is great also. I do not prefer most American beer although I can stomach it once in awhile ( in preference to stabbing myself ). :lol:

With such a variety of great beer from so many sources, it would be difficult, in my opinion, to name an overall #1 choice. I think most would agree that tastes tend to change over the years and certain beer is perfect for certain occasions, although we all have that old veteran brand that we will reach for.
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby IamMoose » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

I live near Newcastle but I've never gone for Newkie Brown really :). As to Heieneken .. it's too weak for me, just as Stella is too strong. I prefer something about the strength of Foster's.

Anyone ever been to a beer festival?
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Morieru » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:53 pm

Our war against good is in the Guild forums, the Welcome thread was meant to attract newcomers to our home thread. But, it is going very slow, and most people are either good or not interested I guess.
Morieru
Shield Bearer

Postby olddwarf » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 am

I want to share with you in my new discovered words about beer:
[/list]beery - it can be a day or mood, sometimes meal (This bread tastes beery)
    beerish - something connected with beer(this is my beerish uniform/goblet)
beerful - that`s how you feel when about 10 bottles have been drinked - packed with beer!
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby olddwarf » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:38 am

to IamMoose: maybe it will be surprising to you, but in latvia beer with 4% is quite rare. Common strength is about 5% - 6%. But you cannot onlt drink -what`s your favorite food with beer?
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:22 am

On my trips to Britain, I've discovered bitter, and that's what I mostly favour when I'm there. But back home, my favourite is Border Gold, a Scottish organic ale.

Guinness is good, Kilkenny is also all right, and Newcastle Brown isn't bad either.

As for food - beer goes with everything. :D
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby IamMoose » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:19 am

Beer goes great with pub food .. traditional British pub food that is :). Steak and ale pie and chips, fish and chips, lasagna and chips.. well you get the picture :). Many British pubs do quite good food these days and it's great to go in for a lunch and a pint..

I've noticed that some European beer can be very strong .. 6% would be way too much for me!!!

(is anyone here interested in the nineteenth century btw? I have a nineteenth century guild that's slipped down to page two that nobody loved at all and I feel sorry for it :(. If anyone wanted to make a post or two there I would really, really appreciate it .. just to generate some interest :D).
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby olddwarf » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:42 am

baah, now i know another one word connected with beer - overbeered :puke: .
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby olddwarf » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:48 am

to IamMoose: Maybe you could remember me some interesting things that happened in 19th century, i just can`t found a theme (maybe beer i 19th century :wink: ). About British food - i`m not very fond of chips and so, i prefer dried fish (very popular in ex-USSR), it helps to better feel taste of that substance you are drinking.
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby olddwarf » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:07 am

to Morieru: nice tattoo :wink: , i`ve one which is pentagramm with skull inside(lil`bit interested in Dark Side and existence of Satan)
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IamMoose » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:48 am

Yay nineteenth century beer! MArvellous topic. Beer is really old you know .. the ancient Egyptians had it. Apparently their beer has been recreated though I don't know where you'd get it or how good it would be..
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:01 am

Bolg wrote:I have not heard too many German beers mentioned.

I had the opportunity to try the German Spaten Optimator some time ago. An aquired taste to most no doubt but I really enjoyed it.

And Moose, out of curiosity, how did you pick your name?
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Monoceros » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Wow!!! A Beer Guild!!! Great!

Yea, I like beer too. I have several favorite, but I'm not sure where they come from :wink: I like Gosser, Heineken and Guinness.

Great idea, Moo! :D

edit, ok, now I know the spelling :lol:
Last edited by Monoceros on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby olddwarf » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:37 am

I`m only not sure was beer popular in 19th century. From lessons of history i remember only about vine. If somebody knows something about this, you are pleased to share with us.
olddwarf
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Monoceros » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:19 am

Hmmm, not sure about beer, but I guess apple cider was really popular among common folks. Ale also.

I think grain was mainly used to make bread not beer. :?
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:35 am

Ciders were rahter common but so was beer. There was a drink called the Black Velvet which combines Guinness (or another stout) with champaigne, but since the poor folks couldn't afford champaigne they used ciders and the drink when made with cider became known as Poor Man's Black Velvet.

I have ciders here, I bout Strongbow the last time and am not overly impressed...
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby IamMoose » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:36 am

Guinness and champagne?! That sounds vile.

A popular drink when I was a student was strong white cider and a wine cooler called castaway. It was called a blastaway and it was the strongest thing I've ever tasted. Tasted just like fruit juice ;)

My nick is something I've used for years .. can't remember where it comes from :(
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 am

Ah, just wondering because you seem to live in the UK and it is to my understanding that there are no Moose in Europe. I know there are Elk and Alces and deer there but no moose. "Moose" is a native Cree word meaning 'twig eater'. I am part Cree seeing as I'm from the north in Canada. Here we hunt moose, as much as it might pain you to hear that. :D It is my personal favorite meat and makes for a wonderful sausage when mixed with bear and pork. It also goes great with beer. :D
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:22 am

TWT, there are moose in Europe; not in the UK and Central Europe, but sure here in the north, and all the way east through Siberia. And it is indeed the same species (Alces alces) that you have in North America. :wink:

And, we hunt them here too. :D
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth