The Guild of Beer Drinkers

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby undumiel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 am

how's aboot this for a list????

http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers?c_id=US

while i can't say i agree with everything on here (sierra nevada celebration makes the list and mac & jack's doesn't??? IS THERE NO JUSTICE???), it certainly sounds like a list worth working my way through . . . even if i just complain drunkenly about how much i disagree :P :twisted:
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Undumiel:
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What if I don't agree with your list?
A: We don't care.

Q: Why isn't {insert beer} listed? That's just wrong!
A: It didn't make the cut. Did you review the beer? If not, then you have even less to complain about.

Q: How can {insert beer} be better than {insert beer}?
A: Ask your first grade math teacher.

I guess we have only ourselves to blame if our favorite brews did not make that list. :P

Anchor Steam and Anchor Porter (#86 on undumiel's list)! Good brews!

On Mac n Jack.. the Redmond brewery that made it used to make a 'Mordorian Red' ale that was great. but when they closed/moved the only name to survive is Mac n Jack.

So Dark Lord Imperiel stout tops the list? :thumbsup:

I like porters, and Stone Smoked is number 86, but its Hair of the Dog Fred (#80) that really kicks!
:drink: :drink: :drink: :doh: :woah: :zzz:
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby undumiel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:20 pm

:P :P :P

hey, i'll drink 'em anyway. bottoms up! :drink:

i'm taking you up on your suggestion, rt . . . going to swing by bottleworks and pick up some hair of the dog fred . . . with a name like that i can't believe i haven't tried it!! :oops:
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:03 am

Looks like a good rainy day project :drink:

And I'm with Undómiel, I'll drink anything, even Budweizer. But only if it's free and there's nothing else.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:10 pm

Yes, bu Dogs Head Brewing. Hair of the Dog Adam is good too!
So Undumiel, since you live in Seattle, where is the Seattle equivelent to Bellevue's Taphouse? They have 160 brews on tap, but I hate Bellevue so I rarely go there.

And Rainier always seems to find its way in the fridge at the house. My husband likes it.
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 pm

Parmamaite wrote:Looks like a good rainy day project :drink:

And I'm with Undómiel, I'll drink anything, even Budweizer. But only if it's free and there's nothing else.

Ditto!

One of my favorite Canadian beers is Steamwhistle. Really delightful beer.
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby undumiel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:52 pm

RavenTinuviel wrote:[color=indigo]
So Undumiel, since you live in Seattle, where is the Seattle equivelent to Bellevue's Taphouse? They have 160 brews on tap, but I hate Bellevue so I rarely go there.
[color]

i hates me some bellevue too :evil:

but there is no real equivalent to taphouse. closest i can come up with is brouwers in fremont (http://www.brouwerscafe.com/bier.html). they have about fifty beers on tap, and it's associated with bottleworks in wallingford - and that place kicks butt.
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:01 am

I went out on the town (Toronto) last night.

Had a Guinness at the Elephant & Castle (wanted to start off with something familiar). After that we went for supper at Allen's, the best hamburgers in Toronto and their other food is amazing too. I had a Sgt. Major's IPA (Scottish brew I think) and then finished off my meal (a hamburger :D ) with a Black & Tan. I forgot to ask what they used for the tan, I presume it was Bass... The place always has about 20 beers on tap.

There's another place that I frequent downtown that has over 200-250 bottled beers at all times, Smokeless Joe's. Only a few beers on tap but Joe goes to great lengths to import many beers from all over the world. You can get a big steaming place of mussles or oysters for around $4 or $5 on special nights.
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby RavenTinuviel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:17 am

Bottleworks! Excellent place! :lol:
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby undumiel » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:31 pm

bottleworks rocks my world. on monday nights they have "microbrew mondays" and for a dollar you can sample brews from a featured local brewer. s/he is ususally there too discussing the finer points of brewing and word-slurring :P.

whitetree: can you smoke in smokeless joe's??
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:43 am

I tried Monty Python's Holy (Gr)ail yesterday. Not bad. :)
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby IamMoose » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 am

250 beers at a time? Oh man I wouldn't know where to start. I'd just have to do it alphabetically and sit there until I'd, erm, tried all of them :D
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby undumiel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:52 pm

:shock:

yeah, the guy covered in hair at the end of the bar said the same thing . . . he's on #127 :wink:
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:17 am

lol!

When I was a student I took part in something called 'around the world' which involved trying a beer from - well, obviously not every country in the world but there were quite a lot, anyway. I didn't do it all in one go.. I think it took me two or three. Igot a T shirt at the end :D
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby undumiel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:50 am

i thought bars always gave out free shirts . . . if you ruin the one you wore in ;) :lol:
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:02 am

I actually prefer pubs with less choice, e.g. 3-8 good draught beers. 250 different beers is just overwhelming, how would I ever find out which one I prefer?

In other words, I prefer quality over quantity :P
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Parmamaite wrote:I actually prefer pubs with less choice, e.g. 3-8 good draught beers. 250 different beers is just overwhelming, how would I ever find out which one I prefer?

In other words, I prefer quality over quantity :P

That is why I order the samplers when I go to the Taphouse! If you do not like one after a sip, they will give you another, but I would say 3/4 of what they have is quality, and if you wish something familiar, then it is likely to be there as well... even Budweiser. :P
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 am

well it would take a long time to sample 250 :D. And I suppose also, by the time you'd tried three or four, you'd not really be up to an intelligent evaluation of anymore :D
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:24 am

250!! It deserves the extra exclaimation mark! Wow. sounds like my heaven, but saying that going to the brewery and spending a pleasent day testing is always nice, especially if it is really good beer.

Anyone know about this new guisness (sorry, i really cant spell) they are going to bring out. Its Red Guiness, or something like that?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Parmamaite » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:59 am

Red Guinness? :shock: Never heard about it.

I'm going to try it when I see it, but I'm not expecting much. The Guinness Ice for example is just a less tasty variation of the ordinary Guinness.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:50 am

I prefer the Ice one when not in Ireland. Normal tastes like black gold (not oil :) ) there but not as nice anywhere else.
Apparently for the red one they are going to roast the barley a little hotter before the brew. Should be interesting.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Parmamaite » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:33 pm

I had a Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn last Thursday, that was extremely yummy and highly recommendable.

And what was really special was that when I poured it in the glass, small drops formed on the surface: perfectly round tiny black pearls that slid over the surface when we blew on them :love: I've never seen anything like it.

We tried to recreate the effect with the next glass, but failed.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:11 am

I l;ove it when that happens? Whats in a black chocolate then? You ever had a black velvet?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Parmamaite » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:26 am

This is a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout: http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=482

There's not actually chocolate in it, but I have tried another stout that had small pieces of real chocolate in it, an interesting experience, but it wasn't very good.

Black velvet isn't that some sort of mixture with Guinness and something else? I've never tried that, I always drink my Guinness pure.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:52 am

Guinness and pure are not words that should ever be used in the same sentence ;).

It does look so delicious though, that's the tragedy of it.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:20 pm

At the moment, I'm enjoying a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier - a German dark lager made of smoked malt. I think it's quite good; but then, I like the smoke aroma in general.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby IamMoose » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:26 am

Smoked malt? That sounds interesting, how does that work? I am pretty unadventurous when it comes to lager but then again it's difficult to know how to get different kinds than the standard ones. Real ales and similar are readily available here but lager tends to be just what is popular in pubs and things.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:05 am

The best bet is always to try and get into the strange bars, or the ones in like china town or little italy, places like that. They tend to have some strange brews in places where there aren't a lot of english people. :P 8)

How can you say Guiness is not pure!!! Thats an abomination against good drink!! :x :lol:
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby IamMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:44 am

Heh we don't HAVE a Chinatown or Little Italy where I live :). We have lots of real ale pubs, like I said, and there are often beer festivals here which centre around real ale or bitter but I've never seen such a thing for lager. Someone needs to host a lager festival, that would be cool!
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:13 am

Germany is probably your best bet. I know they do some awesome ones out there. Not my style of thing but i know a few Germans and travellers who have seen such things that you talk of. I think Munich has a few goodun's if you get a chance its worth it.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth