The Guild of Beer Drinkers

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Ilmarinen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:23 pm

Beeeeerrrrr...*gurgles*

I've never liked the taste of beer, and after some hard thinking I landed on the obvious conclusion: I just haven't drank it enough.

So, I raided the local Alko (Finnish booze monopoly), and for the past month I've been doing some serious, but civilised, sampling. And what can I say...I'm a believer.

Not that I can speak with any authority, but I'd say Innis & Gunn is a pretty darn good ale. It's aged in old whisky barrels, and the flavour is indeed whisky-ish.
Ilmarinen
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:11 am

I like those ones, especially as i am a wiskey fan. But i had a delicious Scottish one last night. Its brewed with heather and honey so the taste is quite unusual and rather sweet all at the same time, but if you ever see it is worth the hassel. I can't actually remember what its called, but then i am a dyslexic fool. :lol: 8)
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby RavenTinuviel » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Innis & Gunn? I wanna try it!

I have to say I have been into the Pike Kilt-lifters tonight and should get offline before I make a fool of myself.... :Q
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby StormCrow_TheGreen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:29 pm

oh a beer guild that's nifty. I mostly drank ales. I am still tasting different types though.
StormCrow_TheGreen
Shield Bearer

Postby IamMoose » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I have drunk rather a lot of beer in the last week as my boyfriend has been visiting but I've still lager I am afraid :). Antti has been experimenting in bitter and ale though though I think he is secretly a lager drinker too!
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby RavenTinuviel » Thu May 10, 2007 10:04 pm

A good ice cold lagar in the summer when one is thirsty is great! :)
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Sat May 12, 2007 4:32 am

And a Berliner Weisse mit grüne Schüss on a warm and sunny day is delicious. 8)
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Sun May 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Gosh I am sorry I have not been here for ages! Into this thread I mean but I am glad to see that it's still on the first page :). I bought a couple of weeks ago an 'ice glass' .. a plastic glass with an inner layer filled with some liquid which you put into the freezer and take out when it's frozen and put your beer in .. brilliant stuff :D
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Liadan » Wed May 23, 2007 8:21 am

I have to say my favorite beer brand is Sam Adams... people say America doesn't have great beer but Sam Adams is THE best, Cherry Wheat is beautiful and they have more to suit your unique taste... god I sound like I work for them don't I? I wish I did. A lot of my friends (girls) tend to not fancy beer too much... they don't like the taste and another main reason is they don't want to gain the weight. :roll: But once they get a sip of Sam's Cherry Wheat it's all over for them... it's delicious, I'm telling you.

The other American beers, like Miller, Bud, Natte Ice, the Beast are really what I consider cheap college beers. Those are the beers that college use when playing games, beer pong, a**hole, flip cup... etc., etc., (I just graduted college, can you tell?) :wink:

My dad's from Ireland so we frequent the mother country often and I have to say a pint of Guinness from a pub in the village is absolute heaven. I don't drink it over here cause I personally don't think it travels well but when we're over it's the first drink I have when I'm off the plane.

Also, I'm usually down in NYC and myself and the boy went to a brewery. They had this beer called Indian River Light, made with corriander and orange... that was beautiful. We ended up have about five pints of it. :twisted: I do love beer!
Liadan
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:35 am

I wonder if it's possible to get hold of these beers here in the UK? We tend to only have the really well known American beers and I am not fond on any of those but perhaps I should not dismiss the entire country!!
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Parmamaite » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 am

Budweiser, Miller and such stuff is hideous. But I'm well aware that there's plenty of good American breweries, they just don't export much.

Here in Denmark the only good American brands that we see regularly is San Fransisco Steam Anchor and Brooklyn. They're both quite good, I'm especially fond of the regular lager from Brooklyn.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:14 pm

I've spent the last month or so in England, and I made a habit of jotting down a few notes of each pub I visited. Ending with a grand total of 52 different pubs in 39 days :D
I lost count of how many different cask ales I tried, but it was quite a few. I even attended a beer festival in Buriton :D

English ales are the best: Otter Ale, Donkey's Delight, Adnam's Broadside, Old Speckled Hen, London Pride, HSB, Sussex Best Bitter, Umpel Ale. ......... mmmm :thumbsup:
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Parmamaite wrote:Budweiser, Miller and such stuff is hideous. But I'm well aware that there's plenty of good American breweries, they just don't export much.

Here in Denmark the only good American brands that we see regularly is San Fransisco Steam Anchor and Brooklyn. They're both quite good, I'm especially fond of the regular lager from Brooklyn.

Hey, I don't know if I've ever posted here, but may I?

Anchor Steam brews excellent ales in my opinion. Goose Island out of Chicago brews great lagers and ales. As mentioned, there are a lot of great micro-brews in the US, but most aren't exported.

Does anyone brew their own beers? I do every once in a while.
I love porters and red ales. :drink:

On a somewhat sad note, I read the other day that Michael Jackson ( Not the singer but the beer enthusiast) passed away. I love his videos on different beers throughout the world. I believe he called himself the "Beer Hunter". Here's to the beer hunter himself! :drink:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:22 am

You're welcome Dunthule :D

Michael Jackson died much too soon August 30th this year :( He was THE writer on beer and whisky.

Here's to Jackson :drink: I hope there's beer in heaven.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby dna » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:13 am

Parmamaite wrote:I hope there's beer in heaven.

If not, I'd welcome you to join me in the other place, but wouldn't want to unduly transgress :wink:

I know I owe you at least 2, from the Turf meal you got me! And my family's going to be in Salzburg next summer, so it's within the realm of possibility. :)
dna
Shield Bearer

Postby Parmamaite » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:02 am

dna wrote:
Parmamaite wrote:I hope there's beer in heaven.

If not, I'd welcome you to join me in the other place, but wouldn't want to unduly transgress :wink:

I know I owe you at least 2, from the Turf meal you got me! And my family's going to be in Salzburg next summer, so it's within the realm of possibility. :)

Great news. As we all know, Salzburg is just around the corner from Copenhagen, so feel free to drop by :D

.... or we might run into each other at a european m00t.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby eilona » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:37 pm

Hello..

Just reading some of the posts. My! It's quite an education. Love different beers,ales, porters, stouts,lagers.
Wheat beers are not bad, but not favourites,much like fruit beers. With the exception of Belhaven's blueberry. That IS phenomenal!!! Even my friend who is a true connoisseur and a purist, said he liked it.
In the greater Toronto area, there are microbreweries that promote fruit beers and I just can't drink the whole half let alone a pint.
eilona
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 pm

I was intrigued by "fruit beer" when I visited the Steam Plant in Spokane Washington. They had a blackberry ale, but it was quite strong and reminded me too much of wine.

Lately my husband and I have been enjoying Sam Adams Oktoberfest, and New Belguim 2Below. :D

So today I read that hops prices have gone up 567% and malts 75%, causing the price of beer to go up! :cry2:
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:10 am

RavenTinuviel wrote:So today I read that hops prices have gone up 567% and malts 75%, causing the price of beer to go up! :cry2:

:woah:
We'd better drink as much as we can, while it's still cheap!
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:13 am

I think that this coming weekend, there will be a good opportunity for it. :D
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Arvegil » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:47 pm

There's a microbrewery right behind where I work. They have the standard over-hopped Northwest IPA and a good amber ale, but also a barleywine that can put you on the floor...

Friday, 3pm... About time...
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 pm

You're right Rowanberry, and we certainly did :D

Four days in Cologne, and still I didn't taste all the brands of Kölsch, though I did my best.

Kölsch is a type of beer specific to the Cologne area, it's light in colour and top-fermented and really nice. Traditionally it's drunk from "stangen", which is straight, slender glasses of 20 cl, so you can really drink a lot of them.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby eilona » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Just came home from work, and not one beer ldft in the house! What's a girl to do??? :shock: :shock:

Look to the malts.. :wink: :wink:

The local around the corner from me has some of the best prices in town for beers and drinks and I must confess, the urge to leave you all now, is very strong..
eilona
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Hey, just the other day I started a new batch of what the 'Complete Joy of Brewing" calls 'Winky Dink Marzen'. A golden lager. YUM.
I just checked it and it's fermenting just fine.
In about another 7 days, it's bottling time.
And 10 days after that!! :drink:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:36 am

So you brew your own beer, cool! :D

Do you buy ready-made brewing-sets, or do you make your own recipes?
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:56 pm

I don't like the ready made kits. It doesn't feel like I'm really brewing in that case. :|
Yet, I'm not good enough to develop my own recipes.
Sooo, I'm using recipes from 'The Complete Joy of Brewing Beer".
I go and buy the grains and grind them. The extracts and hops come pre-packaged. But, I found a beer supply store that allows me to choose from a variety of malt extracts that are in barrells. And "pour" what I need.
The reason I mention this is that malt extracts that come prepackaged in cans can be 'flat'.

I do experiment with bottling though and have been known to add honey instead of malt extract into the bottle. It gives the beer a smooth taste and an extra kick. ;)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:09 am

Recently, I tasted an American beer that wasn't too bad: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It beats the most universally known American brands singlehandedly. Although, I'm sure that, there would be many even better ones somewhere out there.

I also tried some German Schwarzbier. If you like dark beer that is far from sweet, go for it. :)

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

rowanberry

Postby Dunthule » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm

I agree, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my favorite US beers. Though, there are a lot of micro breweries that put out a product just as tasty as theirs. And yes, they all beat the major breweries (Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc) hands down.

My batch didn't turn out as well as I hoped. The lighter chocolate malt (versus what the recipe listed) ended up not providing enough taste.
On a scale of 1-10, about a 4-5.
I should have known better! :x

Oh well, relax and have a home brew, right? :drink:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:19 pm

I just enjoyed some Bad Elf Winter Ale.

I can highly recommend this one. :thumbsup: It's strong, but doesn't taste like it; and, especially if you like the aroma of hops, go for it. :)

rowanberry

Postby Kur » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:59 am

I discovered Alexander Keith's when I was 16 and I've been in a drunken stupor ever since!!! HOORAH!
Kur
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth