The TORC Canadian Guild: Enjoying warm summer days

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Scroozle wrote:Sssscccrrrrriiiiiibbbbbblessssss!!!!

What!!!???? :P:D Geezum dude, I'm ancient but I ain't deaf. Not yet anyway . . . :D:D

Earendil81 wrote:O Silvery One, why don't you open it since you are always and ever treading these halls

Well, I'm not always treading these halls, I just swing through once in a while to see what cute pictures the Kitteh Guild is posting up. :P

*sigh*

But when the time comes, I guess I can start the next good ol' Canuck Shack. Not that there seems to be a whole lot of us left . . . :( Maybe we need to open an on-line Maple Syrup, Back Bacon and Canadian Beer store . . . 8) :P

And, since I'm here . . . how about our Olympic athletes, eh? Derek Drouin was absolute poetry to watch in the High Jump, pity he just couldn't crack the 2.29 ceiling . . . but a Bronze is still nice considering Canada has only medalled in that sport three times since the 30's. :D

Alas, our sweet Tara Whitten just missed the podium by a hair (or a few seconds) . . . :( We had everything but our eyes crossed for her, but she's still a champion to all Edmontonians. :D A Bronze medal in the Team Sprint is still an Olympic medal, no matter how ya slice it.

And of course, the heartbreak for the Canadian Women's soccer. What a robbery . . . the ref's 6 second call on our goalie and that incredibly blatant "hand ball" call??? Good grief. But I guess it's all part of the sport and the competition, rotten as it is and we'll still be cheering them on to a Bronze of their own.

How about you folks? Anyone else catching lots of Olympic coverage?

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Scroozle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:39 pm

I haven't really watched anything, other than glimpses I caught in airport lounges when I went to Japan. I've been keeping abreast through online news articles though.

I was trying not to fan the flames when the Canadian judge initially disqualified the Korea swimmer, on the very first day of competition :D
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Well I have to bow out of cheering for Canadian women in the football's bronze game as they play against France. One has to cheer their team.
But I do agree they should be playing the Gold medal game not the Bronze...

France was tight on the handball 1/4 finals this afternoon. I missed the final goal by a minute. It would have been a shame considering they are World and Olympic champions...

And I still haven't seen volleyball it's playing while I'm at work :( :( :(
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Scroozle, another swimmer got away with a false start, not sure if it was a Korean or Chinese, but he should have been disqualified too . . . there's been quite a bit of criticism about a lot of the judging this Olympics, which is a shame for the athletes who lose out because of a bad call, and the ones who win for the same reason. :(

LOL Eari, no worries. We'll both cheer and may the best team win (and may the reffing be fair). :D

I caught a bit of Ladies Volleyball in the highlights a few nights ago, looked like a fierce competition going on. :)

The time difference makes it hard to catch anything live for me too, since the action starts well before I'm awake for the day, and then is over before I get home from work . . . :roll:

But CTV has been pretty good about re-running some of the events, and last night Brian Williams even had Derek Drouin in for a short interview. What a nice young man.

I've also been very impressed with that young USA gymnast, Gabby Douglas. What a modest, lovely gal she is, and shows remarkable poise and good sense for one so young. I'm thinking she has a bright, bright future ahead of her.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:51 am

It's nice to read you all, with this OG enthousiasm... but I have nothing to say about the OG... almost saw nothing but what replays on the new of the morning (that is VERY little !), and I heard that Alexandre Despatie (diver) ended 11th, he must be broken hearted. This year has been tought, with injuries, and some say that it was his last OG. Sad thing.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 pm

LOL, Isildime, I haven't caught very much this year either, mostly whatever coverage CTV re-runs in the evenings.

Our "water boys" did great this Olympics, taking a Silver in Single Kayak and a Bronze in Single Canoe. They both looked very, very happy especially the Canoe guy (can't recall his name just now) who comes from a family that has been competing in the Olympics since 1948. That's quite a history!

His family must be very proud of him too . . . :)

Last night all there was on was wrestling . . . not for me I guess because I fell asleep right away, LOL. :blush:

SilverScribe

Postby earendil81 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:26 am

I didn't get to see much of the OG either but since I landed in Paris Saturday I have seen more in 2 days than in the past 3 weeks.
I saw the final handball game - France vs Sweden in a remake of the 2008 final with the same result: France in gold :D :D :D.
It actually was an amazing game with great play on both sides loved it.

And saw the final set of the Russia/Brazil volleyball final. It was interesting to see Russia end the Brazilian domination over the sport. Brazil if I recall won the past 4 olympic gold in that discipline.
And the Cubans lost their domination in the women's competition as well...

In fact yesterday while walking along some of the avenues of Paris we were stopped as the "Blue bus" was coming. It's essentially a victory tour with all the French medalists of the olympics in a bus touring Paris. It was kind of cool. I would not have gone and looked for them because it tends to draw a crowd but seeing them by sheer chance was nice.

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Wow, Eari, you're in Paris! Or were . . . I'm not sure how long you were planning to be there and I've been utterly swamped at both work and home for so long that I haven't checked back here since the Olympics ended . . . :blush: :whistle:

Are you still in the City of Light? :D Or have you had to wing your way back to Canada . . . in either case I hope your time there was matchless perfection and you have (or already have had) a safe flight back. :D

I have no news worth typing, LOL. I'm packing a small suitcase and getting our "Christina Lake duffel bag" together today. I work tomorrow but then on Tuesday, hubby and I are jumping on our pony (translation: the Mustang), putting the top down and heading west for BC for a week of sun, swimming, golf and just plain relaxation. After the hectic summer I've had, I'm more than ready for this.

Hope everyone is having a lovely tail-end of summer!!

Last edited by SilverScribe on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverScribe

Postby earendil81 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi Silvery One,

I am back in Toronto. Flew back yesterday in fact.
I was in Paris for 5 days before heading to Brittany where my brother got married and we remained for 7 days and then back to Paris on Friday for a couple of days.

Paris remains as beautiful as it ever was and Brittany was magical in its own way. It was great :D :D. But back at work. And in bed within the next minutes because my brain is turning into mashed potatoe :P :P

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Re: The TORC Canadian Guild: Enjoying warm summer days

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:55 am

Hey Canadians folks ! What is happening ! No posts since August !

What are everyone talking about these days ? Appart from this lock-out... poor little hockey players, who have so little pay checks.

With that I should start a new discussion ! Who would think I would do that... I have no interest in such things... I don't miss these hockey nights at all. In fact, I enjoy that :)

Please don't throw rocks at me.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tarathiel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

Hows Canada?

Did you all persuade Scriibles to be the new guild Boss?

Are you all drowning in snow?

Life on this side of the atlantic continues.
We have recovered from the Olympic excitement and are now suffering from rain, rain and more rain :roll:

On a sad note, for anyone who remembers Scroozles 'Up a Creek' cartoon series, the real life Mutt that the Seafaring mutt was based on died just before Christmas.

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 am

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but here in Québec we are indeed drowning in snow... we broke the records. And it's freaking cold. Something like -25 with the wind factor I think. It will get worst, of course, but it's still already too cold for me !

Sadly I don't think that we persuaded Scribbles of anything :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tarathiel » Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 am

hmmmm.

Seems to be deserted in here!

Where did everybody go?
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Thu May 16, 2013 9:00 am

We were all in space ! With the "cooler" astronaut ever ;)
It seems difficult to maintain this thread alive !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby earendil81 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:24 pm

I do not know about the others but the past two weeks have been crazy for me. I have been working non stop (as in no day off) for the past two weeks and I can say I am looking forward to the Victoria Day weekend. Three days will do me good after 14 days of working 14hours a day :P :P. Today I actually left work early at 9:15pm instead of 11pm but I was there at 12pm - and working from home since 9am - so that was a long enough day :P

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Isildilmë » Sat May 18, 2013 5:32 am

Wow, crazy-enough-day ! I also had crazy weeks lastly... a lot of news (good, mostly !), work, students in internship, projects, etc.

And I don't know how's the weather over there, but here we had abnormal hot temperatures for a few weeks, and then back in normal (no, under the normal) temperatures... that is unfair... we should never have 25°C in spring if it's going to go back to 12°C right after and then be around 15°C for weeks again ! I want to jump in my pool !!!!!!!!

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tarathiel » Sun May 26, 2013 2:42 pm

well we've had hail, rain, snow, wind, frost and now sun so I guess it's what you'd call a traditional British :roll: summer
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:20 am

Oh... mmm... not cool... that is the kind of reasons why even if I would be interested to see England someday, part of me keeps refusing the idea... ;) The weather over there has a very bad reputation

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tarathiel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:27 pm

where'd everybody go? :shock: :(
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:19 am

Maybe we can bring them back starting a subject from our actuality ? ;)

Canada Posts and their project of abolishment of the postal delivery at every home ? :D

I never had my mail at home except for a little moment when I was living in Montreal (and there were many errors and sometimes the postman just didn't feel like taking the stairs to join our appartment, so he was returning the envelopes saying that he couldn't find our address (!). Stupid guy.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby earendil81 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 am

So I have received my "invitation" to go write my Canadian citizenship exam.
Which means that within a couple of months I should officially be able to get my Canadian passport and have a queen :P ; I applied 3 years ago so it's nice to see it happen finally :D

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 am

Wow ! That's a wonderful new ! I don't know if the exam is difficult, but I'm sure that if you study just a bit you'll get far better results as many (if not most) of Canadians... *caughs*

Really, I'm curious to know how many of us would stay Canadian if we had to write an exam ! :P

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby earendil81 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Isildilme... I do have a little bit of a leg up if you will since I wrote my Master's degree on Canadian foreign policy in the interwar period: the birth of a sovereign state. I am quite knowledgeable on some levels and on some others not as much. To be honest though I have never been a very good exam taker so we'll see what goes :P :P ...

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:17 am

Oh ! My apologies, I didn't really know who I was speaking too ! :P

My, my, we are getting new elections in our province... again. :angry:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby earendil81 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Isildilmë wrote:Oh ! My apologies, I didn't really know who I was speaking too ! :P

Ah I think my phrasing might have sounded more arrogant than I knew :lol: :lol: ... that "if you will" is my guess after a re-read :lol: :roll:

So I was away on vacation but I officially became a Canadian citizen on March 18 2014. Very excited to get to exercise my right (duty) to vote this upcoming October and probably before since Olivia Chow vacated her seat at the Parliament to run for mayor of the city and she's the MP of my ward... (for the ones who care to search that gives you a pretty good idea of where I live :P )

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:09 am

earendil81 wrote:
Isildilmë wrote:Oh ! My apologies, I didn't really know who I was speaking too ! :P

Ah I think my phrasing might have sounded more arrogant than I knew :lol: :lol: ... that "if you will" is my guess after a re-read :lol: :roll:

Oh no, don't worry, I just adopted a pompous tone for kidding, because I'm impressed in fact :)

I was like "oh sh**, he might be much better than me with Canadian questions ! I better bow or I'll end looking like an idiot if the subject goes further !"

lol :lol:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby earendil81 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 am

Isildilmë wrote:
earendil81 wrote:

Oh no, don't worry, I just adopted a pompous tone for kidding, because I'm impressed in fact :)

I was like "oh sh**, he might be much better than me with Canadian questions ! I better bow or I'll end looking like an idiot if the subject goes further !"

lol :lol:

I think it's true of anyone who has studied another country than their own.
I'm fairly certain there are many non French people who know more about French history than I do. I actually know two already :P and they shame me every time so we're all in the same boat really :lol: :D :D :D

To be honest I'm just glad it's done because I applied way back in 2011 so it's been a long process. And I am so excited to get to vote; as I was mentioning earlier I will get to vote very soon maybe even sooner if the Ontario Liberals' budget doesn't pass.

To answer the question you asked about Canada Posts not delivering at home... I guess what I find stupid is that they are cutting down on services and yet the price of the stamp just went up by almost 30c. They took a page from the TTC book really; increase prices diminish services, it's not like people have a choice anyway :roll:. Hence my excitement to be finally involved in political life in Canada in a way that actually counts. These are important questions in our society...

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby tarathiel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 pm

congrats on your new passport :)

i haven't bothered to vote for the last three years because we have had some much political playground rubbish i just can't get interested.
Tony Blair has done for GB politics what the computer did for the envelope: it's a good idea but frankly who uses it!
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Scroozle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:58 am

*slips in unnoticed*

HI GUYS.

Long time no post!
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 am

indeed !

Canadians don't have much to say actually it seems ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth