The TORC Canadian Guild: Enjoying warm summer days

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

The TORC Canadian Guild: Enjoying warm summer days

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:08 pm

You walk up a wooded path, past a couple of canoes resting on the shore of a small lake, to the door of the large log cabin.

A brass plaque attached the door reads:

Welcome/Bienvenue to TORC Canadian Guildhouse, the fourth edition of the thread for fellow Canucks and honourary hosers.

Canucks

Silverscribe - Goes by "Scribbles". Mistress of the Western range and defender of the Edmonton Oilers...

Prmiller - Goes by "Parm". A master of poetry who's on a mission of teaching in the Land of the Rising Sun. His team of choice: The Calgary Flames...

Sunsilver - Resides in the GTA, and likes to take her canoe out for a bit of paddling...

Scroozle - A Nova Scotian who cheers on the Ottawa Senators. He also has a webstrip going on...

Thewhitetree - Goes by "TWT". Connoisseur of beer and poutine. Living in the T-Dot, he cheers on the Leafs...

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* - Goes by *E*. A proud Maritimer hailing from New Brunswick, and a big fan of the cinema...

Ivriniel - Goes by Ivvy. Coming from Mississauga, she's a teacher and a big ecologist... Not a big hockey fan, but if she has to chose a team it would be the Leafs.

Durin's_day - hails from Calgary and supports the Flames. As such we had to place her as far away from Silverscribe as possible to prevent the Battle of Alberta from breaking out. ;)

eilona - from somewhere in the GTA. No surprise then that she's yet another Leaf fan.

Honourary Hosers:

Elfshadow - Goes by "Elsha". Elsha hails from Colorado (but now attending school in Washington DC), and she's a proud supporter of the Colorado Avalanche...

Tarathiel - Goes by "Tar". Tar is from Great Britain. Watches hockey when she can, and also cheers on the Avalanche...

Nicasam - Nicasam joins us from California but is a supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Enjoys curling, poutine and hockey. More Canadian than most Canadians.

You go in, and take off your shoes inside the door. You find yourself in a large room, comfortably decorated, but not at all as rustic as it may have seemed from the outside.

The most obvious feature of the room is the bar set near the opposite wall. Behind the bar you can clearly see a number of beer taps, marked with the names of various Canadian beers, including Alexander Keiths, Creemore Springs, Moosehead, Kokanee and Steamwhistle. Several taps with no label are also there, leaving you with the impression that your favourite brew could easily be added to the inventory (provided you are of legal age, of course. ;)). Set into the wall behind the bar are a couple of wine racks labelled as Ontarian and British Columbian vintages. For those who do not drink, a variety of other beverages can be seen through the clear glass door of the bar's cooler.

To the right of the bar along the side wall is a kitchenette with a deep fryer sitting prominently on the counter. Looks just right for making french fries or maybe doughnuts. A note on the fridge reminds Guidmembers to buy more cheese curds or there will be no poutine.

To the left of the bar along the other wall, a big comfy couch, some big arm chairs and a rocking chair (for those who like to rock) are set around a widescreen HD TV. Judging by the team pennants hanging on the walls nearby, you imagine that hockey games are frequently viewed here. The shelves on either side of the TV are packed with books on Canadian Culture, Politics and History. In among the history books you notice three titles:

The TORC Canadian Guild: Who Doesn't Love a Good Toque?

The Second TORC Canadian Guild: Snow, snow, sn.......rain???

The Third TORC Canadian Guild: A Mari usque ad Mare

On the coffee table in front of the TV, you notice another book entitled:

Froshies Go Up the Creek: The best of Scroozle

All in all, the atmosphere of the Guild is very inviting. You feel like you are welcome to stay and enjoy the Guild's ammenities.
Last edited by Ivriniel on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:25 am, edited 55 times in total.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:52 pm

*gives thread noogies*

Good job on the new digs, Iv!

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby elfshadow » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 pm

Hey, I suppose I should grace this new thread with my presence, eh? :D

Look, I even used "eh"! That shows you how Canadian I really am. Right?
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Oh, Ivvy!! You've done an absolutely FABULOUS job with the place! HUZZAH for the new GuildMistress . . . okay, so I happen to like the delineation, sue me. :P

I especially love the nod to The Friendly Giant, a true blue Canadian gentleman if ever there was one. And the note on the fridge about the cheese curds made me laugh out loud! My hubby truly thinks I'm deranged . . . ;)

plops down on the big sofa with a cold Canadian Export (I can't help it, I just got a sudden craving for an Ex ;) )

Of course, if you happen to hail from Alberta, you only have to be 18 . . . although they've been talking about upping the age to 19 or 20 for years. I sort of hope they do it . . . the discussion has been that when the age was 21, they had 19 year olds sneaking in, but now that the age is 18, they have folks as young as 15 trying to sneak into the bars. I can personally confirm that last statistic . . . :blush:

Edited to add: Elsha, good going, eh! ;)

:D:D:D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Thewhitetree » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Oi, I didn't think I'd make it here before Scroozle. :D

Just here to touch base. You might want to watch out for *E* though, she brings "touching base" to a whole new level... ;)
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:38 pm

SilverScribe wrote:Oh, Ivvy!! You've done an absolutely FABULOUS job with the place! HUZZAH for the new GuildMistress . . . okay, so I happen to like the delineation, sue me. :P

Thanks. I looked over the first few posts from the other threads, and wanted to come up with a different way to give the same information. :)

SilverScribe wrote:I especially love the nod to The Friendly Giant, a true blue Canadian gentleman if ever there was one.

Funny thing is I didn't plan that. I was describing the furniture, typed "big arm chair" when "and a rocking chair for those who like to rock" just popped into my head. At that moment I knew I had to use it. :D

SilverScribe wrote: And the note on the fridge about the cheese curds made me laugh out loud! My hubby truly thinks I'm deranged . . . ;)

All the other threads made reference to poutine, so I had to fit it in somewhere. :)

SilverScribe wrote:Of course, if you happen to hail from Alberta, you only have to be 18 . . . although they've been talking about upping the age to 19 or 20 for years. I sort of hope they do it . . . the discussion has been that when the age was 21, they had 19 year olds sneaking in, but now that the age is 18, they have folks as young as 15 trying to sneak into the bars. I can personally confirm that last statistic . . . :blush:

Oh, I thought it was only Quebec that had 18 as the drinking age. I'll edit the post. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:01 pm

It's every second province.

Qb: 18
Ont: 19
Man: 18
Sask: 19
Alta: 18
B.C. 19
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:17 pm

What about the maritimes? And Nunavet, the Yukon and the NWT?

Hmmmmm . . . time for a google search I think . . . :D:D:D

Yep, Google has it all:

The legal drinking age in Canada varies between the different provinces and territories: In Alberta, Manitoba and Québec the legal drinking age is 18 years, for all remaining provinces and territories the legal age is 19 years.

8) :lol:

SilverScribe

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:03 pm

Oh yeah, and speaking of Classic Kid show references:

If it weren't for the fact that the Tickle Trunk was really stolen, I'd be tempted to turn the coffee table into the Tickle Trunk. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 pm

SilverScribe wrote:What about the maritimes? And Nunavet, the Yukon and the NWT?

It's 19 here, which would fit into TWT's theory.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby Nicasam » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:38 am

Oooh I likeey the new digs...

Settles in and grabs an Alexander Keith, Ahh for Low legal drinking ages and mexico...

:wink:

Shineh!!!

:twisted:

Good Job Ivvy!
Nicasam
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:08 am

Manchester United 3, Aston Villa 1.

The only problem?

It wasn't on the bloody television!!! :x

I got up today and was anxiously awaiting the start of the match, in fact I had been looking forward to it all week. Instead of playing the match of the best team in the Premiership they played the !@#$%^&* Chelsea match! I HATE Chelsea. I'm so pissed off.

At least I'll be able to watch ManU vs. Arsenal next sunday.

Hockey Day in Canada is officially underway. A friend of mine in Pettawawa has his nephews on the show, I don't remember why. I think their father died in Afganistan or something...

Anyway. Where has our resident artist gone off to? Perhaps he's being held captive by some rice crispy squares. :D
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby tarathiel » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:45 am

Nice job Ivvy.

The new guild house looks cool.

Shame about the TV coverage TWT.
You should have swapped places with me today; i was stuck in a car with two rabid Man U fans listening to the match on the radio :roll:
every time i tried to sabotage the radio i got wacked on the back of the head :shock:

But i got my revenge: i asked them what they thought of Beckams move to the USA :twisted:

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm

tarathiel wrote:But i got my revenge: i asked them what they thought of Beckams move to the USA :twisted:

Tar

Beckham is moving to the US? David Beckham, as in married Posh Spice, Beckham?

Oi vey. Well, at least he's not moving to Canada, LOLOL! =:)

Hmmm, yes, where is our Scroozle? Did someone forget to give him a passkey?

SilverScribe

Postby Thewhitetree » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Oi Scribbles, what hole have you been living in? There's been non-stop Beckham talk for days now. He transfered for $250m CAD over 5 years to play for the L.A. Galaxy.

I personally don't care what he does. Its obvious that once he left Manchester United he comitted career suicide. He never regained his form in Madrid, Spain. He was brilliant back in the day for ManU, not anymore though, he's lost it...

Tar, I can't even listen to it on the radio here. BBC blocks me out and all other stations that broadcast it are always jammed. Speaking of which, I've noticed that british radio stations, the ones that play music that is, are quite bad. They're not very diverse and play the same boring music. :|
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:54 pm

Thewhitetree wrote:Oi Scribbles, what hole have you been living in? There's been non-stop Beckham talk for days now. He transfered for $250m CAD over 5 years to play for the L.A. Galaxy.

:shock:

What hole? Hmmm, a TV-less one I guess. I really, really find it tough to set aside any TV viewing time these days, unless it's last thing after crawling into bed and shutting out the lights, LOL.

I suppose I should get into the habit of at least watching the news, eh?

=:) :D:D

SilverScribe

Postby Thewhitetree » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 pm

SilverScribe wrote:I suppose I should get into the habit of at least watching the news, eh?

=:) :D:D

Good god no! That's much too depressing. I never watch the news. I get my news from people, occasionally the internet and George Strombulopolusdsfskdjf. :D

Everywhere I've been I hear people talking about it. It's big news.
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Scroozle » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:11 pm

HAPPY HOCKEY DAY IN CANADA!

Sorry about missing the new Guild's commissioning, great effort Ivvy (I'll now do the double "v" thing :D)!

I had my best friend over yesterday afternoon until a few hours ago; she stole me from you. Needless to say, I had an absolute awesome time. So awesome I NEVER LOGGED ON.

My apologies :lol:.

Just thought I'd pop in and say "hello" to let you know, that I am still alive.

Oh and *E*, I was being sarcastic about the Canadian flag/patriotism thing.

I may be colour blind, but I can still see! :D

~Scroozle~
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Thewhitetree wrote:Oi Scribbles, what hole have you been living in?

The same hole there's no hooking up in?

Scrooze, gotcha. Whew! ;)

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:02 pm

SilverScribe wrote:Beckham is moving to the US? David Beckham, as in married Posh Spice, Beckham?

Oi vey. Well, at least he's not moving to Canada, LOLOL! =:)

They can't. Posh Spice has so little body fat that the first cold breeze of winter, she'd freeze solid and shatter. ;)

That, and there's no way Toronto FC could afford him. Whomever owns the L.A. Galaxy must have very deep pockets.

Scroozle wrote:Sorry about missing the new Guild's commissioning, great effort Ivvy (I'll now do the double "v" thing :D)!

Ah, whatever. People call me Ivy, Ivvy, Ivri.. JudyA christened me Ivvy....I prefer it to Ivy because to my mind, my name's pronounced with a short i rather than a long I, and this distinguishes it from the plant. (I probably have the pronounciation of Ivriniel all wrong--I can never make any sense out of pronounciation guides.)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:02 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Thewhitetree wrote:Oi Scribbles, what hole have you been living in?

The same hole there's no hooking up in?

Scrooze, gotcha. Whew! ;)

*E*

Ooo. Bit of revenge? :D

I still think that's a mainly American thing. I've never once heard it in that context here in Canada other than maybe on the telly.
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:13 pm

It's not my revenge to have. But I did see an opportunity and went with it. ;)

Well, today was a bust, as always. I just wanted to nap but my alarm didn't go off! I slept for eleven hours and got up at 5pm. :roll: Can't win for trying. Tonight, I'm aiming to watch a movie, maybe read a little bit, get nice and tired, fall asleep by 6am, sleep until about 1pm, and be ready in time for a matinee at the theatre. Then because I haven't had a full rest, I'll be more tired earlier in the evening, and can get to bed at a decent hour. Meaning I won't make dad late when we leave for Fredericton on Monday, yay!11

We'll see how this works out. :neutral:

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:05 am

Well, if a nap turned into an 11 hour sleep, I imagine you needed it.

Today sounds a bit complicated though. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:41 am

Sounds like a plan *E*. :)

I'm currently reading Clive Cussler's Deep Six (don't go twisting that you perv) and its really good. Then again, all Dirk Pitt novels are good. I'm thinking of reading a Chrichton after this book.]

Seen any good movies lately? It seems to me that there hasn't been many good movies coming out... Oh and what was your theater total for last year?
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Scroozle » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:26 am

Haha, I slept for twelve hours today, *E*. I went to bed at 8:30 last night and got up near 9:00. I zonked out :D.

TWT, check out Children of Men or Pan's Labyrinth if you haven't already.

Ivvy wrote: my name's pronounced with a short i rather than a long I, and this distinguishes it from the plant.

What I immediatly thought: "There's a plant called ivriniel?"

Yes, I truly am this slow :D.

~Scroozle~
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Scroozle wrote:Haha, I slept for twelve hours today, *E*. I went to bed at 8:30 last night and got up near 9:00. I zonked out :D.

Ivvy wrote: my name's pronounced with a short i rather than a long I, and this distinguishes it from the plant.

What I immediatly thought: "There's a plant called ivriniel?"

Well, maybe if my character name came from a Hobbit....;)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:06 pm

If Ivvy is what you prefer, then Ivvy it is. Besides distinguishing you from the plant (ROFL Scroozle!), it also distinquishes you from the photographer gentleman you mention in your sig text too . . . yes, I am just that observant. Today. Tomorrow, I might not even know what colour socks I have on unless I look so . . . humour me. :D

I'm about to embark on a small, scientific experiment here at home involving ivy, not Ivvy, but ivy, the plant. Grape Ivy to be exact . . .

Y'see, someone sent me this article about how microwaves change the nature of the food processed in them, so some young lady did a home experiment. She took two healthy plant cuttings and placed them in separate jars of "purified" water. One jar had water purified by boiling in the microwave (then cooled of course ;) ) and the other had water purified by boiling in a pan on top of the stove (and cooled).

Strange thing. After 10 days, the plant cutting in the microwave water was wilted and dead. The other plant cutting was perfectly healthy and growing.

:shock:

She also did an experiment with two small houseplants of equal age. One she watered with the microwave boiled water, the other with the regularly boiled water. After nine weeks, well, you can guess the result.

There's also some text about the alleged effects of microwaved food on our bodies. It's creepy, lemme tell ya.

I want to see if I can prove/bust this plant/water thing . . . just call me Scribbles, Microwave Mythbuster!

SilverScribe

Postby Scroozle » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Microwave mythbuster....

That deserves to be in your sig.

Or the name of a superhero! Or made into a comicstrip....

The possibilities are coming to me people! :D

~Scroozle~

[Edit: 2000th post! I'm catching up to ya Ivvy, look out!]
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:23 pm

SilverScribe wrote:If Ivvy is what you prefer, then Ivvy it is. Besides distinguishing you from the plant (ROFL Scroozle!), it also distinquishes you from the photographer gentleman you mention in your sig text too . . . yes, I am just that observant. Today. Tomorrow, I might not even know what colour socks I have on unless I look so . . . humour me. :D

I'm about to embark on a small, scientific experiment here at home involving ivy, not Ivvy, but ivy, the plant. Grape Ivy to be exact . . .

Y'see, someone sent me this article about how microwaves change the nature of the food processed in them, so some young lady did a home experiment. She took two healthy plant cuttings and placed them in separate jars of "purified" water. One jar had water purified by boiling in the microwave (then cooled of course ;) ) and the other had water purified by boiling in a pan on top of the stove (and cooled).

Frankly, the whole thing strikes me as an urban myth.

In any case I see a rather large problem with the experiment as described. There's a lack of repetition. There could be lots of reasons that one cutting died, while the other lived. Perhaps the stem was damaged when the cutting was taken thereby preventing the cutting from drawing water.

To be credible the experiment was repeated with multiple cuttings and then showed a statistically significant difference in survival rate between the ivy with the microwaved water and the ivy with the regular water.

I think my Methods of Environmental Science Prof would have been pleased with that answer. ;)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Scroozle wrote:Haha, I slept for twelve hours today, *E*. I went to bed at 8:30 last night and got up near 9:00. I zonked out :D.

I watched Children of Mew months ago. It was pretty good. Though I still don't like Cuaron. This film was luck, he'll be back to making perfectly horrible films in no time!
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth