The TORC Canadian Guild: Enjoying warm summer days

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Evenstargazer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:43 pm

hey all, newbie Edmontonian here :) just thought i'd pop in and introduce myself :)
Evenstargazer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Hail and well meet Evenstargazer !
As you can see if you look a bit at the lasts posts, I also discovered the guilde lastly, and we all reintroduced ourselves. If you want an idea, see the post around december 9 (end of page 62) and after... and tell us who you are !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Evenstargazer wrote:hey all, newbie Edmontonian here :) just thought i'd pop in and introduce myself :)

:shock: :shock: What are the odds??!! :D

Well, paint me purple and call me Barney, what part of Edmonton do you hail from?

And how are you liking the deep freeze, eh? I'd ask you if it's cold enough for you but I think I know the answer already. :P:D

Have a seat! Rest your feet! We'll toss another kubie onto the campfire and dig up a cold one out of the cooler for you.

Oh, and you'll need these too . . . hands Evenstargazer a lovely white toque with a red maple leaf on it and a pair of nice red Olympic mittens . . .

There. Now you're initiated! Tell us a little about your fine self!

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Hey!!! I did not get a nice white toque with a red maple leaf and a pair of mittens in the nice red Olympic style. How come???

Oops!! Yes I did!!! Sorry! takes nice mittens and pretty white toque out of their packaging and puts them on Oh these are lovely and so warm too!!! :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby tarathiel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Scribe :hihi:

Have you done much skiing this year?
I can't go this year but am planning a trans atlantic trip for next year :D

and Scroozle i don't like tea and don't eat crumpets so bang goes your theory :thppt: :wink:

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

:hihi: Hey Tar! Great to see you! :)

Alas, I have only managed ONE single ski outing this entire winter so far . . . ;shock: Can you believe it? We had a couple of big snowfalls in mid-November (but it was too cold and I was way too busy) but then it all melted away between then and the first week of January. We actually had a Brown Christmas!

We got a weeeee little bit more snow last week and I went out and cut my first ski track this last Sunday (22nd) but even so, there really wasn't enough snow in a lot of spots and my skis were still hitting grass. :whock: And now, it's warmer again and my track is disappearing again! *sigh*

Ooo a trans-atlantic trip next year? Where to precious? We wantsss to know . . . because we are nossssssy, yesss we is. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby tarathiel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 pm

You had a snow free Christmas :shock:

But i thought it always snowed in Canada :?

We've had a very mild and soggy winter so far :(
Everything is wet and muddy, especially my garden and my dogs :roll:

Not sure where we are going yet but Banff and Vail are emerging as strong favorites.

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

tarathiel wrote:You had a snow free Christmas :shock:

But i thought it always snowed in Canada :?

LOL! Yeah, so did we . . . :P:D And when I was a kid, I NEVER remember a brown Christmas, EVER. But in the last 15 years or so, we've had a few. Makes me think Global Warming isn't such a fairy tale after all . . . :shock:

Oooooo pick BANFF!! That's only 3 or 4 hours drive from here! Are you planning to come in winter or summer?

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Scroozle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 pm

No tea and crumpets? Then...then...oh well.

Don't go to Canada, Tar. It's a has-been ski area.

Instead come to Pyeongchang. We're hosting the 2018 Olympics and the skiing is awesome. And the hockey/figure skating will be in the rink here at Gangneung.

Do it!
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstargazer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:56 pm

i didn't see your reply until now, is there a way to just see new replies to threads that i posted in? and i'm actually just outside edmonton... southish... haha. that freeze was brutal! but it's not bad now at all!
Evenstargazer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Evenstargazer wrote:i didn't see your reply until now, is there a way to just see new replies to threads that i posted in?

Yep. At the top of the page is a link that says "watch this topic for replies". Click the link and whenever there's a post to this thread, you'll get an e-mail notification. :D

Also, when you open the thread, click on the highest Page number under the thread title. Then you'll be right on the last page instead of the first. :)

Southish? Hmmm, Nisku? Leduc? A lovely acreage outside of Sherwood Park?

Yep, after all that minus gajillion nonsense, even -10C feels balmy, LOL. ;) I'm hoping we have no more brutal cold snaps in our future, but I'm thinking we might see another in mid to late February (per usual). If we get a bit of snow so the cross country skiing doesn't suck so bad, it might be easier to take . . .

And Scroozle, how could you?!! Traitor. :P :D

SilverScribe

Postby Scroozle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Hey, now.

I'm just stating the facts now is all.

I even have a friend working at the resort and can get you discounts.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstargazer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am

it's gonna be even nicer this weekend! but yes, southish... if i get too specific, they'll find me *looks around* lol u can pm for deets though :)
Evenstargazer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Awww Scoozle, I wuz just messin' wit cha . . . ;) I'd absolutely loooooove to come and see/ski at the resort you go to in Korea. I bet it's absolutely gorgeous (though I reserve my right to be a tiny bit pre-disposed to our Canadian Rockies . . . ;) ) :D

LOL Evenstargazer, no worries. I'm a bit of a paranoid android my ownself and value my Internet Privacy as well. I apologize if I seemed over-nosey. ;)

No exact location is needed. Just the fact that we're in the same weather vicinity is cool enough. :thumbsup:

SilverScribe

Postby Scroozle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Oh, sorry, I should have added an emoticon or something to my post. I didn't take that personally :D.

I typed it thinking it would be dry, but reading it later, it sounds hurt.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstargazer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm

maybe some future lotr get togethers are in order?? :)
Evenstargazer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Scroozle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 pm

This board had one in Toronto back in 2006, I think. Lots of people showed up and had a blast.

Dunno when the next one was.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:48 am

tarathiel wrote:But i thought it always snowed in Canada :?

:shock: By chance my hubby didn't see that... he would tell me to never come back in this thread :lol:... he has a lot of difficulty to accept when people insinuate that they think that it's always cold here... even when it's just a joke... he has a bit of character ;)

I hope not being tagged as a traitor, but I'm afraid Scroozle is too right... We are loosing our winters. Damn pollution.

A get together ? mmm, sounds it would be too far anyway... except maybe if it's at Montréal :P

And Estar, be careful : if you are warn that there was a reply but don't visit the thread, the notices stop until you come back again... so sometimes that is why you may loose replies.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Evenstargazer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:11 pm

yeah, i think i figured it out. is there a way to change the colours of the links, so if someone replies to a thread the link will look "unlicked"? does that even make sense? haha i know what i mean in my head!
Evenstargazer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby tarathiel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Isildilmë wrote: :shock: By chance my hubby didn't see that... he would tell me to never come back in this thread :lol:... he has a lot of difficulty to accept when people insinuate that they think that it's always cold here... even when it's just a joke... he has a bit of character ;)

A bit like someone insinuating that all Brits smell of tea?
(not mentioning any names. Cough.SCROOZLE)
:shock: :wink: :P

Havn't skied Banff before and i like going to new places but then i did love vail when i went there a few years ago, and if i go to Vail i may get to see an Avs game :D

Have you skied Banff Scribe?
Any Recomendations?

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Scroozle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm

I change it to fish'n chips, now.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:52 pm

tarathiel wrote:Have you skied Banff Scribe?
Any Recomendations?

I have to confess that I don't downhill anymore and never skied Banff even when I did. ;)

I have it from friends though that Banff has great skiing, and Lake Louise does as well. I've cross-country skied Lake Louise and it was breathtaking, so I can only imagine how beautiful the downhill would be.

Whistler in BC is also praised quite highly, but again, I've never skied the place my ownself. Sorry I can't be more help . . . :blush:

And The Great Gathering was in Toronto in 2003, to co-incide with the premiere of The Return of The King. It was a total, utter blast. There was another one a few years later I think, but I didn't make that one . . . :(

SilverScribe

Postby Scroozle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:09 am

I miss cross country skiing. Used to go all the time in '96-'99. I've never tried downhill skiing before despite the many invitations sent my way.

Maybe one of these days...
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:02 am

tarathiel wrote:
Isildilmë wrote: :shock: By chance my hubby didn't see that... he would tell me to never come back in this thread :lol:... he has a lot of difficulty to accept when people insinuate that they think that it's always cold here... even when it's just a joke... he has a bit of character ;)

A bit like someone insinuating that all Brits smell of tea?
(not mentioning any names. Cough.SCROOZLE)

Ehhh, no, it's not the same, as Brits really smell of tea. Everybody knows that.

:P :lol:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby tarathiel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:35 am

Scroozle wrote:I change it to fish'n chips, now.

Now thats more like it :D
How can anyone resist fish and chips, wrapped in news papaer, with loads of viniger :love:

Now i'm starving and may have to head into town to the nearest chippie!
(Translation for non brits: Chippie=takeaway fish and chip shop)

Thanks for the info Scribe.
I'll have to do some research.
I have some friends who skied Whistler and weren't overly impressed with the ski hire or ski guides but said the actual resort and slopes were great.
I have skied Louise before and it is absolutely breathtaking.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 am

I'm going to the hockey tonight, I decided that it was a good idea to share that on the Canadian guilde, more than everywhere else ! :lol:

My hubby had 2 tickets from his boss... the truth is that I'm exhausted and I now think I should have told him to go with someone else, but it's a bit late, so I'll go. I normally enjoy to be there even if I'm not a fan... except when I feel like a zomby, or anxious as today... and they don't even have a chance to play at the series, so... but he's so happy, I have to share this moment with him :) a little stop at a restaurant after work, and there we go !

GO Canadiens GO ! ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Isildime, you'll probably have a better time than you think . . . so enjoy!

I loooooove live hockey games, can't be bothered these days to try and catch the games on TV, not even my beloved Oilers. *sigh* Lack of time and a very full schedule make it hard too . . . ah well.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. We still have no snow here . . . I can just see it, Old Man Winter is going to be a total jerk and dump our entire winter's allotment on us in March and April . . . :roll:

SilverScribe

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:17 am

Finally we didn't go... we learned that his big boss was going too, and as my hubby was going to take the next day off to go at the clinic with me, we didn't want the boss to think he miss job because of the hockey and have him loose confidence in him... so we canceled. We were both exhausted and anxious about my appointment anyway, so it was probably better to take the evening easy and to go to bed sooner. I was sorry that he missed the game, but he said he prefered this than to loose his boss' confidence for no reason, because the fact that the game was the night before my appointment is a pure coincidence !

Anyway, they lost, so he would have been angry, and he doesn't feel like he missed a big game.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Scroozle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 am

Well, you're in Canada so there isn't a shortage of hockey games to go and see!

I only went to my first NHL game in 2009, when I was 24 years old. A bit of a late bloomer (but I lived in Nova Scotia for a good chunk of my life, so there's always that).
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 am

no hockey games over here :(

But hopefully i'll get to see one when we go skiing next year :)
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth