The TORC Canadian Guild: Enjoying warm summer days

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:15 am

Sorry for the intrusion but I just wanted to say I hear ya on the snow bit Scribbles. It's only been the last few days that we here in Manitoba have gotten any real amout of snow. Although not as much as you got.

I have lived in three provinces and this one has been the one that I have seen the most snow in. :woah: (although this year has to be the least amount)

It has been a very dry winter. Although I am okay with that less tp shovel and better driving conditions. :D

Have fun skiing!
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Intrusion? What intrusion? It's always grand to see a fellow Canuckian stopping by! :D

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier though. Life got um, challenging right around our huge storm and has just finally begun to settle down again. How you doin?! :)

What storm you ask? Well. We finally got snow, in the form of a HUGE storm the weekend of the 24/25/26 of February that dumped over 20 cm of snow in 24 hours. We got more snow in that period than we'd received the entire winter so far. :roll: And the skiing was indeed wonderful - while it lasted. Unfortunately, that was about a sum total of two weeks, LOL. Getting snow that late meant that we really only got enough to create a thin, fragile base; so while the low spots had decent cover (4 - 6 inches), the high spots blew fairly clear and even with an inch or more of snow on, showed grass as soon as the skis passed over. A totally bizarre winter here too . . . :roll:

By the 8th of March, my ski track had all but disappeared and what remained in the low spots was pure ice on top of grass. *sigh* Ah well, there's always next year.

We have no snow left now to speak of and if it stays as dry as it's been all winter, I'll be getting my bike out before the end of the month. :P :D

But like you Telta, I didn't mind the "dry" winter all that much (in spite of the poor ski conditions). We drove on crappy roads for maybe a month all tolled, the rest of the winter has been dry pavement. I'll take it. ;) :D

So, is it Spring wherever everyone else is?

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 am

Hey Scribbles no worries. :D

Talk about a snowless winter. I don't think we had more than 5cm on the ground all winter. And as of last night there isn't anything left at all. I expect that there may be tiny snowbanks left in the parking lots but that would be all.

The clouds opened up last night and we had our first thunderstorm of the year. Though looking out there this morning you'd never know it had rained.

Oh and happy first day of spring! :yippie:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Is it spring allready??

well is suppose it must be because i have daffodils flowering in the garden.
Or at least i did untill one of my dogs trashed them.
I'm not sure exactly who the guilty party is but i have my suspicions :|

Glad you got to do some Skiing Scribbles.

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:38 pm

tarathiel wrote:Is it spring allready??

Yup. And we celebrated in True Great White North style too, with 10-12 cm of snow on the first day of Spring!!

LOLOL. Alas, it melted very, very fast. I didn't even get a ski tip close to it before it had disappeared again.

But that's okay. Even though this was one of the easiest winters I ever remember, I'm still ready for Spring and Summer. Oooo yeah.

SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 pm

Me too hon!!! Yup Spring that is my time of year, um.....oh wait......... I prefer summer but I will take Spring cause then it means Summer is on its way!!! :happydance: :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Scroozle » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Howdy, good folks.

For those of you who still remember the TORC Canadian Guild-based webcomics I did in 2006/2007, you can now go through them per series!

[For those of you who don't know, back then I made a series based on this guild. Some of the regulars helped me, and I made them into characters (including Scribbles and Tar). They were full of geeky Canadian humour, and were a great weekly diversion]

I finally submitted them to an actual distributor, so now you can easily go through them HERE.

For the best read, go into fullscreen, and into guided view mode. Then you can just use the arrow keys to navigate. The art in the early strips isn't anything special, but they're an easy read.

Enjoy!
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Scroozle!

I'd forgotten how smart the 'up a creek' series was.
The mutt was really cool 8)

Tar
(and the Mutt)
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Scroozle » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

I still get a chuckle out of it when I go back and reread it, haha.

In other news, spring has finally sprung in Korea. Although Tuesday's weather was pretty weird. We had snow, ice rain and a thunderstorm happening at once. Definitely a first for me.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 am

And i thought you Canada types were used to wild weather :lol: :wink:

We seem to have been abandoned by the sunshine after a brief week of nice weather.
Yesterday morning there was ice on the water in my chicken run :|
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

tarathiel wrote:And i thought you Canada types were used to wild weather :lol: :wink:
Oh we are. It's just the "deserters" that can't hack it anymore . . . :P:D

Oh, how I loved Up a Creek! Brings back memories of a grand time, thank you Scroozle. :D

Our wild weather just MIGHT be slacking off. We had another strange blizzard last Thursday that dumped 20-25 cm of heavy wet snow on the city. Today, it's supposed to get to 16C. :roll: Can you spell 'roller-coaster'? LOL.

How was everyone's Easter? (Or dare I ask? ) :P

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Scroozle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Well, it's nice and warm here. In the mid 20's, right now.

This means I can't venture out without a cap, lest I get a nasty sun burn.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 pm

I've been on Maui for three weeks, but I heard that Edmonton got snow the two weekends after I left, right up to April 30. :P:D

It was apparently nice and warm here (mid-20's) on the weekend too, but we flew into 9C degree weather yesterday here and today's not much warmer. Brrrrrrrr.

But the decent temperaturs are supposed to return starting on the weekend, so that's good. ;) It was truly nice to see all the trees leafing out and I have some very brave tulips about to bloom in one garden!

I think Spring, even if she be on the cool side, has sprung.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 am

Here's a copy of my post in another thread about Canada day (I thought it would also fit here !) :

oops, I'm late ! Image... but I don't have the excuse to live in NF, and even if I would, one day is a bit too late to use this excuse !

Bonne Fête du Canada (Happy Canada day) to myself (!), to Scribbles and to my many Canadian TORC friends ;) Image
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Scroozle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Canada Day was a pretty low-key affair over here. On Friday, I went around the school quizzing the students on Canada-related questions. Those clothes were pretty hot though, and I had to sweat out the rest of the afternoon.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 am

That was a good idea Scroozle ! Sadly, I couldn't answer everything, so I would be qualified as a "Cannuck wannabe" (I didn't count how many good answer I had in fact... I may be a "Canadiana expert" too !)... mmm

And it's nice to "meet" you in this video :)

You saw the comment on the video "But I thought Canadian clothing comes in only two variations: winter, and made-of-animals." ? Made me laugh. I was thinking about something similar yesterday, while we had 40°C and I thought of the people who still think that it's cold all year long here, and that the snow never melts... they would be a bit deceived !

And that teacher was pretty cute, I might say.

:roll:

*flies away*
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Scroozle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:20 am

Yeah, my students often ask me if I wish I could spend summers in Canada, where they think it's cooler. I like to blow their minds and tell them of the 40+ degree temps, haha.

Korea's very humid in the summers (sub tropical), which sucks if you're working. Shorts are not part of the workforce's dress code.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 am

Nice quizz... and nice to meet you as well ;) ;).
Well the only question I got wrong was the one about the Canadian directors but I am not much of a cinema person :lol:. I knew Cameron was Canadian but not about the others ;). Oh wait, no the number of points in the Canadian flag. By the time I got what you meant the answer was given. would have said 12 I think ;)
It is cool to know that if those are the questions I get for my citizenship test I'll pass :lol: :lol:.

I would have to say though that "warm summer days" in the title is overrated. It's not warm it's melting hot. We had 37 degrees in Toronto a couple of days ago. I almost fainted with the heat :roll:. Not nice.
If I were not on a diet, I'd feed myself with icecream right now :lol:.
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:05 am

Scroozle wrote:Canada Day was a pretty low-key affair over here. On Friday, I went around the school quizzing the students on Canada-related questions. Those clothes were pretty hot though, and I had to sweat out the rest of the afternoon.

Awesome video! :D

earendil81 wrote:I would have to say though that "warm summer days" in the title is overrated. It's not warm it's melting hot. We had 37 degrees in Toronto a couple of days ago. I almost fainted with the heat :roll:. Not nice.
If I were not on a diet, I'd feed myself with icecream right now :lol:.

I couldn't agree more. It's been VERY hot here, too, although it's starting to get slightly better now. :shock:
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby CanadaFan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm

I am Canadian.
Surprise.
CanadaFan
Rider of the Mark

Postby Scroozle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm

What a twist!
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:26 pm

hi everyone.

How's Canada?

I'm currently trying to survive Olympic Mania :shock:
Even my normally reserved and sensible countrymen and women seem to have gone nuts 8)
I fear my country will never be the same again :twisted:

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Hey Tar!! :hihi:

Well, I can't speak for the entire country, but it's been a very, very warm holiday long weekend here. :D

And while the mosquitos are now very fierce (because we've finally had lots and lots of rain), I still managed to get out on my bike this morning for a lovely long ride with the hubby while it was still cool. :D

I see Tara Whitten and our Canadian Ladies cycling team took bronze in the Team Sprint!! Woohoooo Ladies!!

And tomorrow is the Omnium, which Tara excels at so I'm sooooo hoping she'll get a Gold!!

GO TARA!!

SilverScribe

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:32 am

*fells off her chair reading that CanadaFan is Canadian :shock: *

What ?!? You had a long weekend ?! We didn't... we don't have long w-e between Canada Day and Labors Day... Sad thing.

I agree with earendil81 that the title of the thread is not very up to date, but someday it should :) This week is here much better from the point of view of normal people : hot but not as much as last week, and not as humid too... I'm not a normal person, so I prefer like last week.

tarathiel, hold on ! I heard very good stuff about the way the Olympics are handled over there, and how nice are people with tourists. Your country may never be the same because these Olympics will be part of it by now, but that may be a good thing ! New touristic spots and so on ;)

mmm what about a little bit of camping next week ? That should be relaxing :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Scroozle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:53 am

tar wrote:hi everyone.

How's Canada?

I don't know. I haven't visited since April 2011.

Muah hahahaha.

As for the title of the Guild...maybe it's time we started a new thread? This one has been going on for over five years. The last Guild took 8 months to reach page 67.

Or, we can just let this one linger. Like a Nazgul :D
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:28 am

oh, well, Canada is... Canada ! hehe

That may be a good idea Scroozle... over all because this thread is near it's end with almost 2000 posts, so why not to start on new basis ? Who want's to start it and take the heavy responsability of keeping the title up to date ? ;)

*Points Scroozle with the elbow, as he suggested the idea anyway :roll: *

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Scroozle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 am

I did the one before this.

And it was a grand ol' time, eh wot.

I'm thinking it should be someone a little more active on this board, though. I'm in a funky timezone, and my connection with Canada is slipping with each passing year in Korea.

But if no one else wants to give it a go, what the heck, I'll do it again.
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:53 am

Scroozle wrote:But if no one else wants to give it a go, what the heck, I'll do it again.

I think that way too... with the transcription thread, all of my free time is sucked, so I think that if I start a new Canada Guilde, I wont be abble to follow it properly myself. I'll try to visit as often as possible, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to take any responsability about it !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Scroozle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:20 am

Six years ago, I tried to get Scribbles to start a new Guild thread, but she turned me down. So, we held a vote and Ivvy got the honour. But then I went to Korea and the majority of the frequent posters (TWT, Elsha, *E*, etc) disappeared, including Ivvy.

So now we have this languishing Guild :lol:

Sssscccrrrrriiiiiibbbbbblessssss!!!!
Scroozle
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:35 am

I would feel a fraud opening a Canadian guild seeing as I am not Canadian yet. I have another 12 months to wait. Who knew that citizenship process had increased from 10 months to 19 months in the one year it took me to decide to send in my documents :roll:...
Oh well.

I will be following though because unless my husband gets a transfer to Sydney, Australia we are here to stay for another few years.

O Silvery One, why don't you open it since you are always and ever treading these halls :D :D
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light