The Followers of Eru #9! Come for Cheesecake!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: The Followers of Eru #9! Come for Cheesecake!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:15 am

Oh, good! :)

I'll be bringing back that cat later, I felt I needed something different for Rowan right now. *sigh*

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby JudyA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:50 am

And fair enough, too :(

How are things at your end this week? I will send you some photos of Oscar the rascal to cheer you up :P

EDIT: Sent! Let me know if the file's too big x
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 am

Got them! :D Thanks!

This week was rough...my mom's best friend from childhood passed away. There were the three of them, mom, Audrey and Shirley. Shirl and Aud lived across the road from each other and mom a mile away. They all grew up, got married, moved away (except mom) but would come back regularly to "the ridge" where Audrey's family home was (she inherited it) and Shirley bought her uncle's house. Eventually Audrey moved back permanently. Aud started smoking in her early 20s and smoked heavily the rest of her life, but oddly enough didn't have much in the way of health problems until a few years ago, she started going into the hospital every so often...then those trips became more regular. In 2011 she nearly died. We went to see her and I said she had to make it to October for the wedding, which she did...but by then she was on oxygen and stage 4 COPD. We don't know how she made three more years after that, but the last couple of months were very difficult for her and we knew this year was it.

Mom has taken it very hard and I can't blame her. It was a lifetime friendship and those don't come along very often. She and I were also close in a different way, she came into my life much later and we shared different interests, and a lot of the same with mom. Now, I pass her house every day, some times several times a day, and it's empty and I feel empty.

I know where she is, her sisters (who all live nearby) are positive and so am I. And I don't want her back to suffer more. It's the adjusting to the hole that's there that's hard.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeh, I get it. :hug:

I remember when she was ill a few years ago, now that you mention it. Remarkable that she lasted so long and so well. And a great comfort that you know where she's gone. I hope you and your mum can adjust to the hole :( - with God's help :hug: :hug:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby JudyA » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:35 am

So, Poppet was admitted to hospital today. Adolescent mental health unit. It'll be two weeks, maybe a bit longer.

It's a really well set up place, the staff seem lovely and she's going to get lots of focused help that she really needs for anxieties, for learning resilience techniques, relearning some things and for re-engaging with school. But there's a hole in the house. I feel weird. One of our cats has been roaming around looking for her and yowling. :|

I'm grateful but sad. Overwhelmed and relieved. Upset and happy. Anxious but calm. It's an answer to prayer, it's what she really needs... but I also feel like we've handed our precious baby over. In the past, however flawed my response, I have always been there. It's a very strange feeling.

In the hands of God...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 am

I'm so sorry for you guys, but I think you're right too...this might be just what she needs. And it isn't as though you've abandoned her, you are there and you love her and I assume you can visit? It is just a very hard separation right now.

You should tell her the cats are looking for her, that might warm her heart. :)

We'll be praying, keep us updated!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:28 pm

There are visiting hours every day, so we plan to pop in each day as we're able to. Today I've got a bag containing her flute, some music and a card from each of the cats (with photos!). Poppy's photo has her sitting on Poppet's bed looking slightly wistfully at the camera, so I think that says it all!

I know it's the best thing for her to be there, but it is still a very surreal experience. I have cleaned massively all around her part of the bedroom - took me hours. Initially I was just looking for her drawing pencils and couldn't find them, so started to clear things off her desk and in her desk drawers methodically until I did find them, and then figured I might as well keep going. The Little Fairy was gobsmacked at the change when she got home today. Now she'll have to tidy up her half or it'll look weird ;)

Thank you for your prayers. We are very grateful for all our praying friends and family :hug:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:56 am

:grouphug: Blessed Good Friday to you all! I'm going to watch Mel Gibson's Passion tonight for the first time ever, and to be honest, I'm kind of terrified.

How is Poppet doing after a few weeks at the hospital, Judy? And how are the rest of the family doing? I just saw your post about it today, but I'll be praying starting now. :hug:

:hug: Iris! I saw your posts about this in Talk--I hope you and your mom are doing better as the weeks go on.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:19 am

Things are up and down for Poppet. It'll be two weeks tomorrow that she went in, and she's allowed to have "leave" for two to four hours every day of the long weekend here. So tomorrow she'll be able to come to church with us and have Easter lunch at home, which will be lovely.

As for how it might be helping her, I'm not sure. She's getting a lot of personal attention to the things that are troubling her, but I'm not sure (yet) just how much good it's doing. She does complain about the staff on occasion, and obviously it's weird to be in a unit like that where the bathrooms are locked and so forth, but we have to trust that whatever happens during this time will be the beginning/kick-off point to helping work on her difficulties more completely and helping her to get well. It's hard... we miss her... but she's in God's hands.

And on that note, given that it will be Easter day here in a little over 40 minutes, Happy Easter everyone! Have a blessed day rejoicing in the truths of our risen saviour and forgiven sins :heart:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

I almost missed this! How was Easter, Judy? And how is Poppet now? :hug:

Sil: what did you think of The Passion? We went to see it in the theater and I remember we took my aunt, who was declining with alzheimers and I worried how she'd do...she did better than me! :) I've seen it once since...it's not one you want to watch a lot, but it is very good!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 am

Hey Iris :)

Easter was very enjoyable. An effort, as we were all getting used to each other in the house again, but good.

Poppet is now in her fifth week in the unit and there has been lots of progress in a number of areas. She is coming home each evening for dinner and a few hours with us, and last weekend was out for eight hours and went into the city with Mr JudyA and a friend to go to a comic book day, have lunch out, trawl through the markets etc. A good time had by all.

The big sticking point is school, and the huge raft of anxieties she has about it for a range of reasons. She's been doing school work in the hospital, but next week she's going to start going to actual school for part of the day, and that's going to be very hard for her - anxieties about her hospitalisation becoming known, being noticed (or not), managing (or not), possibly having a panic attack in public, etc etc.

We would welcome your prayers more than I can say. Mr JudyA has already put a request out on the church prayer chain so as many people as possible can be covering this in prayer. It's scary, but this is the next step.
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 am

Certainly! I'll do that now so that I don't forget! :)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Mon May 12, 2014 12:41 am

Thank you! Back to school tomorrow morning, our time - eek! Pray away...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 am

*pokes head round door*

Started thinking about my TORc friends today, thought I should come and say hi. It's been a long time, glad to see some names I recognise.
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Wed May 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi Laurel! Lovely to see you :hug:

I'm only recently back after more than a year away. See if you can poke your head around the door a little more - as in more often ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu May 15, 2014 7:46 am

Indeed! We don't bite...well, at least not hard. ;) :hug: how are you doing?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Fri May 16, 2014 6:52 am

:hihi: Laurel! Welcome back! :hug:

Judy, I've been praying for Poppet! How's she doing at school so far?

Iris, the Passion was about how I expected it to be -- terribly sad and rather traumatic. I was sort of in a daze the rest of the evening, and whenever I heard the people across the street laughing I kind of cringed because I kept thinking of the Romans. I found the scourging at the pillar almost as bad as the crucifixion. :( Definitely not one to watch a lot, but I think I'll have to pull it out now and then to remind myself to be grateful to God for his ultimate sacrifice for us. The one bright spot was the scene with Jesus and Mary about the table--really adorable. :)

How's Rob doing? I saw your post in Talk about the undetected heart attack -- YIKES! :hug:

Prayers for my dad, please -- he has to have surgery on his shoulder, which shouldn't be bad except that it's going to drive him nuts not being able to do anything during the recovery period. :P
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri May 16, 2014 9:10 am

I loved that scene! "It will never catch on." :) and the whole time you know she knows that he has to know...because he's God! :D

Yes, Judy, how are things?

*sigh* Rob is failing fast. I hate to say it that way because I don't want to sound over dramatic. I'm beginning to wish he would go on disability just so he would rest, but he won't do either. I came home late last night expecting him to be in bed. He'd gone to take a bath around 7 and fell asleep...for three hours. But he says he is feeling a little better on the antibiotic and, hopefully, he should be back on Lyrica soon. Also, I will be getting some essential oils to try on him shortly.

Prayers for your dad! That has to be hard. :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi all! :hug:

I'm doing well, I think since I was last here I graduated from uni, got a job in the local Christian bookshop, got my own place, and got married. A lot of changes! Don't have much time to be on the internet any more, but I'll try to drop by more often.
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue May 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Yikes! So much in so few words! :) :hug: Congratulations on everything. So...does he have a name? ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Wed May 21, 2014 9:39 am

Thank you!

His name is Scott, we got married about 8 months ago, and I am happier than I thought possible :D

What's new with everyone else?
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 am

Health issues. :) that sounds terrible, but it's been the focus of my life for a while now. My mom has to have back surgery soon, my husband may have chronic Lyme disease and has other problems and stoooofid doctors, and now I'm in the midst of something. *sigh*

and I'm applying for another job. :)

Congratulations!!!! :hug: :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:45 pm

entmaiden_laurelin wrote:Hi all! :hug:

I'm doing well, I think since I was last here I graduated from uni, got a job in the local Christian bookshop, got my own place, and got married. A lot of changes! Don't have much time to be on the internet any more, but I'll try to drop by more often.

Wow, changes indeed! Congrats on all of them, especially the marriage! :clap:

New with me: grad school (starting year 6 in the fall, so not exactly new...), ongoing religious/vocation discernment, and... umm... well, the cosplays just keep on coming. :D That's about it.. I work on my dissertation, I sew, and I pray and hope God will tell me what I'm supposed to do with my life.

Two updates on my dad: he doesn't need surgery after all, just some physical therapy, which started today. No problems so far, just basic stretching exercises. On the other hand, he lost his job of 23 years yesterday. He doesn't sound concerned--he'll be getting some severance pay and already has plans to apply for a position nearby, but even so, prayers would be appreciated!

:grouphug:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:40 am

Big :hug: for your dad, Sil! It's good he's optimistic.

I think you should start cosplaying as religious figures...saints, etc. Then you can combine both loves. Of course, that wouldn't be as fun as the other characters you do... ;)

Judy, hows the not-so-little one?

and I have a prayer need...for the guys who lurk here, cover your eyes. ;) I've been menstruating for over three weeks now. I have been to the ER, and they did an ultrasound and found 2 cm of lining...after two weeks. :shock: So I followed up with my doctor and he had me start taking pills he's had me on for a while, saying they would clean me out. I'm also to have a D&C at the end of the month. He used the word "Precancerous" after the words "fibroid" and "polyp" but the first word is the word I keep hearing. :roll: Tuesday and yesterday were bad...in fact, yesterday was the worst, I almost called my doctor...but I was afraid of an emergency D&C.

Anyhow, pray that this clears up, that answers can be found and I can get somewhere near normal. Cem (who doesn't come here much anymore) got me into essential oils and I've been trying one for hormone balance and I've started seeing some good stuff, so pray my doctor also doesn't fight me on that. :)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Arwenelf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi everyone, long time no see/talk!! I hope you are all well :)

Sil- prayers for your dad and family!

Not a lot new with me, working at a specialty pharmacy. I am thankful for the job, but am praying I can find something more suited to me quickly! I am not one to sit at a desk all day talking on the phone with insurance companies!

Hopefully I will be able to stick around longer and visit with ya'll! :horse:
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:19 am

3 weeks, Iris?? Holy crap! I will definitely be praying for you and your doctors. I also just saw your post about Okun in Talk, so I'll be praying for that situation as well. :hug: :hug:

:hihi: Nen!

Please pray for a friend of mine who's just had a lousy couple of months. It started when her boyfriend broke up with her and now it's snowballed into a lot of job problems and potential financial difficulties now that both of her roommates are moving out to get their own places. The biggest problem is that whenever something new comes up she wants to go talk to her ex about it but can't anymore.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Hey all, long time no type!

Just got the hankering to check in and see what is going on. Maybe do a bit of writing. :roll:

Iris, praying for you. Being a guy, of course gives me no incite, but being married does a little.

Gwen, sorry to hear about your friend having a hard time. :(

I could use some prayer for my wife. She has been getting really bad headaches lately. They come and go but the recurring nature of them have me worried a bit.

:grouphug:
~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:27 am

:hug: How are you guys doing? Aside from the headaches, that is. :)

Get your hands on some therapeutic grade lavender essential oil. Drops on her temples, back of her neck and top of her head, see if that helps. (I can point you towards a company that sells good oil.) :)

I had my d and c Monday. I feel better but still no answers...he was looking for a polyp, which he did not find. This is six weeks later, my friends. :( Anyhow, I have an appointment the week of the seventh, so we'll see what he says.

Rob has an appointment Tuesday to see a doctor about Lyme disease.

Judy, how are things? Sil? Laurel? Ren?

Oooo, look, we're getting a crowd again! :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Things are going very. Thanks for asking. We are actually coming up on five years this august. Apparently five is special? I don't really know, but I have to do some research to sus out the appropriate gift :P

The oil thing sound familier. I think my sister in law said something about mint extract, but that was actually a sore throat now that I think about it. Yeah, if you have the info close to hand, and its not trouble I will look into it.

How are things going in your neck of the woods? I am totally out of all the loops, every single one of them.

Its great that there are a few people poking their noses back in. Maybe with the new hobbit movie comming out in a several months there will be a new writing spree. *shrugg*

I really have a hankering for some rp, but nothing is going on right now over at the pony :( oh well. :D

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:18 am

I'll post more later, with lots more info, but I wanted to stop in because I haven't been around and wanted Qwill to know I read his post. :)

Hue had something going on recently, maybe check what he's been posting?

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth