The Followers of Eru #9! Come for Cheesecake!

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby JudyA » Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 pm

That's a good song. I've felt that way sometimes, too. :)

Maybe God is showing you already because everything IS away from home. Sometimes that's what we need - to be way out of our comfort zone. It can be scary to step out but if that is what happens, he will make it a blessing. :hug: You just need to decide if that is what's happening.
JudyA
Mariner

Postby JudyA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:58 am

Not holidays over in the US yet... so where the heck IS everyone?? :?
JudyA
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Studying for the Roman history qualifying exam next Wednesday--pray hard!! ;)
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 am

Prayer has just been sent up... although given the Latin quotation I reckon you're pretty much in the zone already ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Andro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Bump :) This is the first time I've logged in here since I started college in 2005 (I graduated in 2009 and now have a surprisingly rewarding full-time job in food service at a Christian nursing home/retirement community), I recognize a few names but I'm afraid my memories of this place are mostly of people whose names I don't remember XD

(EDIT: some may find this useful - Oslo terrorist proclaimed himself ‘Darwinian,’ not ‘Christian’ Please keep the families of the victims in your prayers, and pray that the enemy's attempt to use this against the Kingdom will not bear fruit....)

Just wanted to comment on the tragic events at IrisBrandybuck's church, or rather, share a couple of quotes from articles I've come across recently:

http://jamaljivanjee.com/2011/04/parenting-adults-is-harder-why-your-pastor-may-not-really-be-your-pastor/

Most ‘Institutional’ Church Leadership Is Designed To Control The Masses, But True Biblical Leadership Is Designed To Persuade The Few

‘More is better’ in the world’s way of looking at things. If you look at the way Jesus did things, however, the opposite seems to be true. As soon as Jesus obtained a large following, He seemed to say or do something that drove the masses away. For example, when someone came to Him telling Him they would follow Him anywhere, He seemed to not make it easy by telling them that He was homeless. Jesus was always weeding out people.

Jesus did not lead the masses, and the masses were fickle. They turned on Him pretty quickly. Jesus seemed to focus on the hungry few however. He shepherded those in the community that served and followed Him. Jesus was the ultimate shepherd (pastor).

It's a terrible thing to alienate older members to please the fickle masses. (Yes, I mean younger people, and I'm 23 so I should still be able to get away with that :P) I do believe God works through wealthy, yuppie-centric megachurches, but I don't think that's the best the Church can be, and IMHO it's definitely not something churches should strive to become, as this one apparently is.

I am biased, because I like hymns and strongly dislike most contemporary worship music, not because of the style (most of my personal music collection is rock/heavy metal) but because, at least to me, most contemporary music has bland composition and very poor lyrics in comparison to hymns. Regarding the loudness, I don't understand why rock concerts have to be dangerously loud, and I always wear earplugs when I go to them, but having to wear earplugs at a worship service would be obscene :P

That aside, I think that the bigger underlying issue of the whole generational struggle over worship style is our attitude towards worship. I am and was raised protestant, but here's an Orthodox perspective on us which I think is completely true of the prevailing protestant mindset today:

http://oca.org/questions/otherconfessions/orthodox-worship-vs.-contemporary-worship

The tradition from which he comes is what we Orthodox Christians might call “man centered.” The focus is on how God affects “my life,” what “I get out of worship,” etc. In this mindset, worship must be “appealing to me,” to “fit my needs,” and so on. “Personal taste,” rather than the faith, often dictates the external form of worship, which can lead to congregations offering “traditional,” “contemporary,” “pop,” “folk,” “rock,” and other “styles” of services, each “form” appealing to the taste of a specific “group” within a community, yet no one form appealing to the community as a whole.

[...] We do not gather for worship to be entertained, to be “relevant,” or to “appeal” to this group’s “taste” at the expense of the whole. While humans have the need to worship, worship must offer a glimpse of the divine, not an affirmation of humanity. Worship must always be seen as focused on God, period, and not on “me.”

So... I guess the first step to a real solution would be for all of us (especially younger believers) to give up our selfishness, and start from there when figuring out how do conduct worship services. I am trying to get over my dislike for the contemporary worship at my church, but it's a difficult struggle and I need prayer.... XD

By the way, writing a song about this (I'm looking at you, "Heart of Worship") is... commendable, but in my experience merely adding that song to a contemporary playlist doesn't really change anything, y'know?
Andro
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwenelf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 am

It has been a while since I have been in here! Nothing much has changed with me. I am working part time at a challenge center, not getting many hours sadly. I like the job, but it is quite stressful and there are many things I do not like about it. I am about to send in an application to the North Carolina aquarium for an aquarium tech position (it is temporary). I really do not want to move, but this would give me some much needed experience....:( I hate the thought of moving from everyone I love...plus, it is more economical for me to stay here as I am living with my rents and that cuts down on the bills a lot!

All these decisions I need to make..agh. Plus, I am in a friends wedding in January so I don't want to miss that! Oh boy...The job is only 11 months long, wich is good and bad I suppose. But we will see.
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:36 am

Meant to post after you did, but got distracted. :roll:

Anyhow...maybe you should take a chance on the temp position...you might not get it, but it would be like saying, "Okay, God, if this is where you want me, I'll trust you. But if not, I still trust you and I'm putting a foot in the water!" :hug:

Send something to the PPG aquarium. Even if they're not looking, maybe they have something you'd fit in.

Please pray for Rob and I in the next few weeks. His youngest son (19) is giving him fits saying Rob didn't give him any warning he was moving (he's had months of warning) and he has no where to go. Not true, but he thinks he can bully his dad into things. Meanwhile, his daughter is openly having an affair with a guy and passing her son off on whoever and going around begging for money and lying about it. :roll: She told her mom she never got an invitation to the wedding, we think she threw it away because we didn't include her boyfriend. (Sorry, kiddo...you're married so we're not inviting your boyfriend.) The other two siblings are ready to kill these two.

:hihi: to all and :grouphug: all around!

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 am

My prayers go with you and Rob, Iris.

They call him Flipper...

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby GwenElf » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:09 am

Hiya Andro!! Welcome back to TORC and the thread! :) I had a long post typed up in response to yours, but ...it died. The long and short of it, though, was that I pretty much agree with everything you said (especially about loud music!). I'm actually a reading a book right now that's talking about our duty to God and the purpose of religion--religion is first and foremost about the thanks, reverence, sacrifice, etc. that we owe God, not about what we ourselves can get out of it. Of course, if music or something else is impeding worship, then there's a problem, but the whole "eh, it's not really my style so I'll pick a new church" attitude seems excessive to me.

Also, I :heart: hymns.

:hug::hug: and prayers for Iris, Rob, and Nen! Iris, that's so sad that Rob's kids think they can behave like that and get away with it, and don't seem to care about the people they're hurting in the process. :(

Nen--If you don't like the idea of moving, you can always compare it to your recent mission trip--at least if you're in NC, you can visit MI or we can visit you, you'll have regular internet access and be able to communicate with everyone consistently, and after 11 months you can come back to MI if that's still God's plan for you! Also, NC is preeetttyy. :thumbsup:

:grouphug:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:50 am

Iris: Oh darl, what a trial. And it's only just beginning by the sound of it. I will pray for strength and endurance (for you two) and changes of heart and spirit for the others :hug:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 am

:hug: Thanks!

Rob is moving tonight. He had to put it off a few days because of some overtime work, but tonight should be the night. :) We're going to do some sweeping/cleaning this evening.

There's a bee problem in the house we're moving into. I think it's just about over with, but it's hard to convince bees they're not wanted...they are so insistent! :P

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:55 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:
There's a bee problem in the house we're moving into. I think it's just about over with, but it's hard to convince bees they're not wanted...they are so insistent! :P

:shock: Gee, you'd want to get that sorted before you set up house there...!!!
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:27 am

We're working on it. :)

I would really appreciate some prayer right now. I had a complete breakdown this morning at church. These days, there's something about coming here that sets me off...it's like the stress from the week builds up and the last few straws hit Sunday morning. What set me off was the fan in the office went missing...again. They didn't have air conditioning installed when the built the new wing (that's a whole other story) so we have several fans. I had on set up to face my desk when I do the attendance stuff for Sunday school, and it was gone. I blew a gasket. Actually, I blew several. I'm still on the edge of something and I know it's a build up of stress. I need to find a way to deal with the stress before something worse happens.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 pm

My prayers are with you, Iris. I know how that feels. There are times when I have wondered how I've avoided going completely postal at times.

They call him Flipper...

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby JudyA » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:23 am

Completely postal?!? :rofl: That's a new one :D

Iris, I well remember having a complete meltdown in the lead-up to my own wedding - Mr JudyA had one too, although not at the same time, thankfully. I think it's just part of the whole thing. :roll:
Really, the best thing you can do is select your most successful destressing method and go for that. But whatever you do, don't talk about or organise anything for the wedding during that time. You need a complete break from that, and everything pertaining to it.
So, go and have a girly spoiling day with a friend, spend some time in solitude in the country, treat yourself to a great concert - whatever. Just give yourself a brain break. You'll feel better for it.

Oh, and :hug:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 am

CR, that's especially funny since my mom works for the postal service. :) :hug:

:hug: Judy, and thank you. I did some sleeping and some veging and it seemed to help. *sigh*

IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 am

My pleasure. But FYI you may need to do it a few more times before the big day :P
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:39 am

I'm sure. :D

Rob has been sick for about two or three months. At the beginning of August he was told he had pneumonia and was given medicine, but he really doesn't sound a whole lot better. He doesn't have the time to just take off of work and recuperate either (though I'm sure his boss would let him). Today he's going to the hospital for another respiratory test and I'm hoping someone there can convince him to at least take one day off an sleep.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby JudyA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:32 pm

That's no good at all. One of my friends from church has had pneumonia three times in the past year, and one of the reasons it happened is because she didn't take enough time out to get properly well. This time round she really took it slowly, did half days for a while until she could manage without being exhausted etc.

Tell your man to take care of himself :hug:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby scotspine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I am Scotspine..one of the last ENTS

I am searching for ENTWIFELOST

Have you seen her?
scotspine
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Not seen here, no. Sorry
JudyA
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:04 am

She's been gone a very long time...in fact, I can't remember encountering her myself. :(

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 pm

I come bearing prayer requests!

1) My uncle was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few days ago; he's having surgery in about a month. As of right now, these are all the details I have--they'll no doubt know more once they've done the surgery. Please pray for him, as well as his family and especially my grandma, who worries about everything and will most definitely stress herself out worrying about this!

2) My brother was offered a job at a company in Seattle and is interviewing for a different job in Virginia (I think?) on Friday. From what I've heard talking to my mom, he's not really sure he wants to stay in the field, and moving to either of these places from Michigan would be a huge commitment, so please pray that God would guide him to make the right decision, whether that's to take one of the jobs or explore other options. I don't think he's given up on joining the Navy, and my mom suggested he talk to a second recruiting officer (he has terrible eyesight and is being help up because the surgery he needs is not yet FDA-approved), so there's that too...

Hope everyone is doing well! :grouphug:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Lots happening. I'm sure the crew in here will get praying :hug:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby prmiller » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Coming to this Quiet Place

I often think about this place,
and how I love this guild,
then wonder what would happen
if we chose an inn to build.
The wonder of this cyberspace
is how our dreams take flight,
so in my mind, time works for me,
the hall could form tonight.
Will it be brick or stone or logs?
Will we have rooms upstairs?
A flagstone floor? A wide great hall?
A lawn for many fairs?
We could create a panoply
of varied floors and rooms,
but, most of all, a quiet place,
away from trials and dooms.

Enjoy!
Parm :)
I love the worldI am in...
prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Heya guys, long time now see.

I keep forgetting how much encouragement I get from this particular board. :)

Just wanted to stop by and post a couple things.

Praises that my wife and I are back in Alaska teaching at a small Christian school. We are loving it and are now near my family with a little house we are renting on my grandfather's property. Things are going really well is insanely busy! I am serving as AWANA Commander in my church these days (I just survived out harvest carnival). God has been good and very generous to us.

Prayer for my grandfather. The doctors have found cancer in his spine and quite honestly there is nothing that can be done at this point to help him. We are all just trying to make him comfortable and spend as much time with him as possible. I've been away for the better part of seven years so I am trying to make up for lost time to a certain degree but it is tough when he is bedridden. He is saved (withing the last year) praise God. He is often in pain however and his wife is fairly distressed as are my folks. So just keep them in prayer.
Also my brother is currently out of work. He used to work for the state governor's office but they rolled together a couple positions. I know it is a time for God to grow him and test his faith, but that does not completely stop me from being concerned for him.

Thank you guys for the the prayers I know will come. I will definitely try to be around a bit more often. I have a lot of reading to do to catch up :P

God bless
~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Qwill!!! :hug: It's so good to hear from you, and I'm glad you've made it back home to Alaska.

Prayers for your grandfather too. :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Iris, just noticed your timer/ticker thingy :shock:

I can't believe I missed all what must have been much discussion and fun! sorry :(
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:51 am

That's quite all right, Qwill...it's not like you haven't been busy or anything! :hug: There's a thread in Talk about it, but the brief version is, I married a friend from church. :) :D

Speaking of prayer requests, if you think of it, pray for the scandal at Penn State. Pray for the little boys who were hurt, pray for the man who did this, pray for our football coach and his family and for everyone affected. Thanks.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby prmiller » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:06 am

The Oasis of Prayer

Struggles
stresses
hardships
can create a desert
in our souls
well-suited
well-coiffed
we are