Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild

Postby Mithril Knights » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:26 pm

The Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild website is now up and running, serving as our GuildHouse.

Per Lord Elbren, our GuildMaster, "We are one hundred percent RP-based."

Current tale: The Guardians of Middle-earth
NOTE: Please, DO NOT post to the RP unless you have been invited to do so.

Please see the Guild Website for more information on who we are, current members, Officers, becoming a Mithril Knight, and guest and/or non-Knight writers/characters.

This thread is for announcements and general Guild business, and as such, RP discussions and questions should be posted in the OOC thread.
Last edited by Mithril Knights on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:40 am, edited 22 times in total.
Mithril Knights
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mithril Knights » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:44 pm

I started this because most of the discussion in the OOC thread 'til now was about new membership and such. I am hoping to make both the OOC info and general business discussions (e.g. membership) info easier to follow. I hope I did the right thing by starting this thread.

I took the list of members from the old thread and changed only what I knew to be current information. If I got anyone's titles incorrect, or if I forgot anyone, please let me know.

Sirion and Claymore, and anyone else interested in joining when we open up, please watch this thread for details.
Mithril Knights
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Claymore » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:52 pm

I'll be lurking :wink:
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Sirion » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:34 am

Just wanted to apologize beforehand for cluttering the OOC thread, and to quote Claymore yet again.
Sirion
Shield Bearer

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:01 am

No apologies necessary at all. I would have done exactly the same thing in your situation. There wasn't really anywhere else to ask you questions at the time. Personally, I appreciate very much that this old guild can still interest folks. :)

And ya don't have to just lurk. Feel free to ask any questions you have or give any feedback you want. The actual RP is restricted to Knights only. But the guildhouse and the OOC are certainly open to visitors.
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 am

SB I think you did very well in starting this too so that any one who has questions or is interested in what a Mithril Knight is can come and ask.

I see that I need to come up with a title for myself......:shock: Now that is a tough one for me. I will have to think on this for a while.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Sirion » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:58 pm

I actually had a question about the time period. Obviously the Fourth Age, I've garnered, but in the new roleplay for the Mithril Knight guild, I was just wondering what year in the Fourth Age it was.
Sirion
Shield Bearer

Postby SmaugsBane » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 am

In general, The Mithril Knights adventure in all four ages that have been described by Tolkien.

The current RP (this would have been better answered in the OOC thread, as it is specific to that story, so I will copy it there) is centered around the FA, after Elrond, Galadriel, Frodo, Bilbo, and Gandalf have departed, but we haven't been too specific beyond that. Other time clues are that Aragorn's plans for the rebuilding of the north Kingdom are just beginning. IMO, it isn't terribly important to name a specific year. Does anyone else have a thought on this?
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:51 am

I cut&pasted this over from the OOC thread.

There seems to be real interest in joining the guild and I think this is a perfect time since we are reorganizing/re beginning /re building the whole hing anyway

I was here from the beginning, in fact Elbren joined the Bard's guild before starting the Kinghts and we talked about building both guilds way back whe A&G first came on the boards. Oreo and that other guy are charter members or at least they joined before I did so I had to start from scratch and join up the way anyone else would today.

If you want to join the Knights you need to demonstrate your level of writing skill. Doing the best you possibly can, you write your way in. an Applicante writes the story of his/her journey to a MK guildhouse to join up.

We need you to describe your character thorughly so we can "see" the person

We need enough background to get a feel for who your character is so we can see how they might fit in with the group.

We would want to see something that shows off the character's battle prowess, so we can see how you would fit into a battle and know how best to use the characer's talents,skills and personality in the Knight's adventures.

Upon arrival the applicant would be taken into the guild house and put in a room they are told is filled with many valuable, magical, etc items and that the person is to choose one. The applicant is left to fill the room giving a few descriptions of various items that could be found there. They also pick the item, they describe it, they give it whatever attributes,appearance they wish and they tell us why they chose it.

At this point the characterwould be told if they made a good choice or a bad choice and the person would be told if they should apply at another time or if they would be accepted as an Knight in Training or KIT as we call them

An established senior member would be volunteer to act as mentor for new applicants. (I have done it a few times myself and volunteer to do it again should we decide to accept any new applications.) and they would be given an assignment/adventure. this would be like a mini RP where the new applicants would have a thread and an OOC and basically do a small RP with the mentor knight sort of guiding and over seeing the whole thing and making sure it stayed tight and reasonably short.

Upon return to the guild house/compleation of the mission the KIT's would be told if they were to be accepted or not. We Knights throw a banquet and at some point during prefferably after a tankard or three, the KIT is put into a room that has a single candle the Knight's coat of arms and a large tapestry of some historic Middle Earth event.

What the tapestry is and how the character interacts with it is up to the applicant. At the end the character comes out of the room and rejoins the party. People will ask what happened in the room but no Knight ever answers this question.

OK That's how it used ta go (Oreo,ILE correct please if I got something wrong) and I think its a mighty fine system since we are beginning and sort of reintroducing everyone anyway I think it would be the most logical spot to let newbies joine up they could get to the new spot just like everyone and do the whole history/background stuff just like us. when we re group and start to adventure again we can follow the initiaiton things just as well the goslings could be given an assignment and they could be part of any expeditions and just be KIT's going along for the ride. if anyone needed more time to brush up and then reapply we would just write them as being left at the guild house when the Knights and KITs venture out again.

Just my 2 cents but I think someone did ask for'em
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby erinhue » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:54 am

I agree we do not need to pin things down to actuall years. We have adventured across time from time ta time but as long as we can all agree on the general timeframe and keep consistant with seasonal, day night set ups we are pretty loose with dates.

EDIT: SB I was away for a good while and I know that the first page of the Bard's Guild thread has been updated. You are indeed a Warrior/Bard and it should be listed that way. Im so backed up in RL and on the boards but soon as I can I will have that over sight fixed.

erinhue

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 am

The first post here says I need to pick a title for myself. Well, I think I came up with one. So now I submit my title for approval.

~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby erinhue » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:07 am

Perfect spot for a Moolight Dancer. That's got my vote 8)

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:20 am

Don't mean ta be picky but on the roles in the first post Lady Rholarowyn, Lady Nienor-Niniel and Sir Dirk of Esgaroth should all have an asterik behind their names as they are all members of the Bards' Guild as well as the Mithril Knights.

erinhue

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks Master Hue!!! :D

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. About the other Warrior/Bards. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Guruthostirn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Has anyone tried to track down the "current" crop of KiT's? When I was looking through the previous thread the "Last Visited" dates on several made it clear we wouldn't be seeing them back...but how about the rest? If no one else has done it, I'll see if I can track them down...including the rest of the MK's.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:57 am

Hmmmm That was Teltasarwen, GandalfStormcrow and the third name escapse me at the moment. :roll:

erinhue

Postby Guruthostirn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:33 am

I've made a list of names who posted in the MK thread during the battle, who don't appear on the membership list at the beginning of this thread:

Teltasarewen
Jiyadan
Alandriel
Teherin
Marius Brendar
GandalfStormcrow (Raghnildur)
Léanë
Falathiel

Correct me if any of these are already on the list...
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 am

Hey, everyone. Thanks for the help. I figured I missed a few titles and such. I'll edit the first post. EDIT: I see that someone else already did, thanks!

Vana, as for your new title. Nice one. IMHO, I think that earning the title also earns you the right to choose whatever you want (within reason), so I don't think any more "approval" is necessary.

Hue, thanks, I'll edit that last post I put up in the Bards. Seeing your plans for later this week, I'm sure you'll get a chance to catch up on at least your TORC backlog. Oh, and I think you are spot on with your recollection of the process. The only thing I'd add after reading several inductions is that it is different (at least a little) for each initiation. As far as whether we should begin to consider new knights, perhaps a more appropriate question would be: is anyone categorically opposed?

As far as the current KiT's, I have approached one that is still active in the Pony, who respectfully declined to jump back in. My thought was to attempt to email or contact them one at a time, and if they wanted to continue, then we could add them to the list on the first post and either:

1.get them started with a new mentor and KiT quest.
2.go ahead and initiate them based upon their past performance

Does that sound okay?
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:11 am

Fala that was the third KIT I had under m'wing at the time the Red Hammer thing broke loose. they did their approace and we were sent out on a scouting mission. We had returned and the KITs would have been initiated then but there was no time for a ceremony and they just saddled up and went into battle along with the rest of the Knights In view of that I say they don't need any more testing I say we induct'em, if they still want to participate.

erinhue

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:13 am

EDIT: (Man, I'm doing a lot of editing today. :P Hue: I agree. If anyone has contact with any of the above-listed KiT's, let's see if any of them are still interested in becoming MK's.

Different question, new post. (I'm as long winded as ever and I know it's hard to read my ramblings.)

So, I propose that we resurrect the old KiT thread, which Elbren had a decent first post with so good info, if I recall. And have these upstarts ( :wink: post a little something along the lines of Erinhue's post above. That is, a journey that begins with their character receiving an invitation to become a Knight in Training and ends with them at the Mirkwood Guildhouse. We could have a volunteer or two mentor them on the journey with us in the new RP, and call it their KiT tale.

Summary:

*New Petitioners post one nice, descriptive journey post in the KiT thread.

*We read it and make secret vote via email.

*If approved, we ask for a volunteer MK to mentor them, and they jump into the new RP.

*The new RP concludes with a par-tay and some Giliath-Londe witnessing.

I think we have Hue and myself for "yes" votes so far. Any others? And more importantly, does anyone see any reason why we shouldn't do this? If there is a good reason why, then we need to hear it now, lest we make a mistake in proceeding.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Sirion and Claymore, it looks like we're all of a mind to that this is a great time to look for some new blood to add to the old guild. Here's what you need to do:

In the Knights-in-Training thread, please post an RP-style post that introduces is to your characters and gets him(her?) to the Mirkwood Guildhouse, which is, I believe, in the northeast of the forest near Thranduil's halls. Mind you that the entrance to the Guildhouses are all secret and well-guarded. If you aren't sure of the standard of writing that we are looking for, please see the old RP threads. Don't rush it, check your Tolkien facts and do your best. Good Luck!

Please don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions.

Alex<dot>wilsoniv<at>att<dot>net

I look forward to reading your posts.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Me Too. You can do this just think about it like a movie and then tell us what you see what you do and what you say. Imagination counts as does attention to details..... :roll: and please no "beautiful elf maidens with long flowing hair" well of course you can have'em if you want'em only please don't use that particular cliche, cant stand it. :roll:

erinhue

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:41 pm

What?? :shock: You dont like my flowing blonde waves??? :P :twisted: Just kidding hon!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Claymore » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:14 pm

Will think about something.
I already have something in mind and I'm sure he doesn't fit in with the clichés.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:22 pm

Sorry Claymore I forgot ya don't know that I almost never mean what I say unless of course I do. :twisted: I was joking. Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Work it all out in Word first, that's what I do. I generally write something, put it down for a bit and then come back and re read it before posting You're new so you don't have 6 or seven years of board RP history to lug around with ya but I like my luggage just fine. Take your time but hurry up, I can't wait to read it. 8)

erinhue

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:45 am

I do all my RP posts in a word document first cause I know I will be working on it a while and want to rewrite much of it before posting it. It just helps me to put words to my thoughts without sounding like a bumbling idiot. It helps me to gather my thoughts and ideas, then put them in order. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby erinhue » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:20 am

Sometimes I write stuff out in the simplest terms so I know where Im going and then I'll come back and add in the details.

First Draft: He opened the door

Final Draft.: Swiping a dust laden lock of straw colored hair away from his cornflower blue eyes, Eomer snatched at the ornately engraved doorknob and yanked the varnished oak door wide open.

:nono: Never use one word when three or four will do :lol:

erinhue

Postby Guruthostirn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 am

I'm terrible...I open the "Post Reply" window, then sit down and hammer the whole thing out. I'm one of those people who can't stand going over my own work...I lose my sense of imagination, and seldom find anything to change even when there's plenty there. I've sometimes wondered what kind of writing I'd be doing if I actually did reworking...

Speaking of E-mail, way back in the day we had all those wonderful ways of communicating between knights...shall we work on resurrecting something? Particularly when it comes to KiTs, and other Guild Business, it may be better to have communication off the board.

Speaking of, does anyone remember anything of the old MK site? Personally I'm not up to trying to recreate the past, but...
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:35 am

I remember it was so cool I got jealous and started Calenrond. We each had a coat of arms and there was a page with all the rankings and titles and we each had to add a short bio typ thing. I remember doing Erhinhue's in rhyme but I no longer have a copy of that poem. We don't have to recreate the past but maybe we could do something new with a retro flavor. I got some downtime coming in November, they are doing some renovations to the building the center is in and we will be closed for most of a week. Im not so good with graphics but I should have some space somewhere big enough to get something up.... I'm code challenged but I got a good imagination. Maybe we could come up with our own shields or coat of arms and if anyone knows anyown with any artistic talent perhaps we could follow something of Elbren's original idea for the MK site.

erinhue

Postby Guruthostirn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:46 am

'Hue, this weekend I'll be cornering my sister, Elenath, regarding the MK's...and I'll see if I can get her to work on a website. She seems to love doing graphics, and helping out with little projects of mine. Since she's managing a physical therapy retail store that just opened up she may not have much time, but I'm thinking the two of you, maybe when you've got your down time in a couple months, could put your heads together and punch something out.

I do agree we shouldn't try to resurrect the past, but instead do something that will honor Elbren's dream, while being new in it's own way.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth