Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Lanastus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 pm

If you go to the first page of this forum it says to post a story outlingin your charachters voyage to a mithril gaurdhouse, on the website it says to email with your charachter name, a breif history, and torc user name.
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Lanastus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:58 pm

erinhue wrote:I cut&pasted this over from the OOC thread.

There seems to be real interest in joining the guild and I think this is a perfect time since we are reorganizing/re beginning /re building the whole hing anyway

I was here from the beginning, in fact Elbren joined the Bard's guild before starting the Kinghts and we talked about building both guilds way back whe A&G first came on the boards. Oreo and that other guy are charter members or at least they joined before I did so I had to start from scratch and join up the way anyone else would today.

If you want to join the Knights you need to demonstrate your level of writing skill. Doing the best you possibly can, you write your way in. an Applicante writes the story of his/her journey to a MK guildhouse to join up.

We need you to describe your character thorughly so we can "see" the person

We need enough background to get a feel for who your character is so we can see how they might fit in with the group.

We would want to see something that shows off the character's battle prowess, so we can see how you would fit into a battle and know how best to use the characer's talents,skills and personality in the Knight's adventures.

Upon arrival the applicant would be taken into the guild house and put in a room they are told is filled with many valuable, magical, etc items and that the person is to choose one. The applicant is left to fill the room giving a few descriptions of various items that could be found there. They also pick the item, they describe it, they give it whatever attributes,appearance they wish and they tell us why they chose it.

At this point the characterwould be told if they made a good choice or a bad choice and the person would be told if they should apply at another time or if they would be accepted as an Knight in Training or KIT as we call them

An established senior member would be volunteer to act as mentor for new applicants. (I have done it a few times myself and volunteer to do it again should we decide to accept any new applications.) and they would be given an assignment/adventure. this would be like a mini RP where the new applicants would have a thread and an OOC and basically do a small RP with the mentor knight sort of guiding and over seeing the whole thing and making sure it stayed tight and reasonably short.

Upon return to the guild house/compleation of the mission the KIT's would be told if they were to be accepted or not. We Knights throw a banquet and at some point during prefferably after a tankard or three, the KIT is put into a room that has a single candle the Knight's coat of arms and a large tapestry of some historic Middle Earth event.

What the tapestry is and how the character interacts with it is up to the applicant. At the end the character comes out of the room and rejoins the party. People will ask what happened in the room but no Knight ever answers this question.

OK That's how it used ta go (Oreo,ILE correct please if I got something wrong) and I think its a mighty fine system since we are beginning and sort of reintroducing everyone anyway I think it would be the most logical spot to let newbies joine up they could get to the new spot just like everyone and do the whole history/background stuff just like us. when we re group and start to adventure again we can follow the initiaiton things just as well the goslings could be given an assignment and they could be part of any expeditions and just be KIT's going along for the ride. if anyone needed more time to brush up and then reapply we would just write them as being left at the guild house when the Knights and KITs venture out again.

Just my 2 cents but I think someone did ask for'em

this is the other way I was refering to
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 am

I did read your post and I will give you my first impressions.

First, content: your character is too invincible. He doesn't need an alliance if he's 6'9" tall, 286 lbs, swings 140 lbs of hammers as if they were short swords and can move like a cat. If you read our stories, our characters are all flawed and do not fight entire roomfuls of people and come out unscathed. Further, I'd like to see some real Tolkien references. What ancestry does this man have? Especially with such an unusual stature. We fudge time lines and make allegiances that wouldn't necessarily be found in the good professor's works, but a demonstrated knowledge of Tolkien's works and accurate depiction of the people, places and things in his world are not only required for the Mithril Knights, but for the forum we write in: The Prancing Pony.

This character, would not be accepted into the Knights based upon what you've written here. Study the various people of Middle-earth, decide upon his heritage and create him physically so that he makes sense. Then make him more "human" (he can be an elf or hobbit or orc or whatever, we even have an Eagle in the current story.) By human I mean that internally, he needs to have flaws, just as real people have; and he can't be such a superhero. It's completely boring to read how a warrior vanquishes all foes, gets all the women, and drinks all the beer without getting hurt in battle, slapped in the face by a barmaid, or a nasty hangover (hey wait, that sounds like 'Hue. Well, at least he sings good songs. :thppt:) Does that make any sense at all?

Second, writing style: I see a lot of good description. The descriptive language paints a vivid picture. However, it seems rushed. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you cobbled this together after Vana replied to your first email. I found some of it kind of difficult to follow due to lack of punctuation and run-on sentences. Again, it could have just been because you threw it together quickly.

For you, I see your style as being close enough to be a great addition to the Knights. Through your Knight-in-Training tale, should you be accepted, you'd most likely adapt wonderfully to the storytelling style of the MKs and of TORC "RP" ( I hate this term. I prefer "cooperative storytelling").

I'm not trying to bust yer chops here. If I were you, I'd delete that RP post from this thread, rethink your character, read up a bit more (the characters have to be invited to join the MKs in RP, you don't just go knock on the door of a Guildhouse) and follow the instructions on the website.
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:07 am

Oops, cross-posted again.

The post you quoted above was from Erinhue letting us know how he thought it used to work. But I can tell you several of those things had already changed back in 2002 when I was initiated. But beyond that, when this thread was re-started and the guild decided to move on in Elbren's absence (including creating my position as Guild Steward until she returns) his post was only part of a discussion of how we would proceed with the KiT's we already had as well as several folks who had petitioned at that time. What is in the first posts of the current OOC thread in the Pony and the first post of this thread is what needs to be followed, as they are updated whenever changes are made and the rest of the first page is most likely irrelevant as it is the conversation from the first days of the thread. (You'll find this in nearly all A&G and RP threads.)

Now, ALL THAT BEING SAID... (whew! I'm a horrible windbag. Still trying to learn to fewer words to say what I mean. :oops: )... we aren't adding any new characters currently. This doesn't mean that you can't petition to join. I encourage you to, in fact. But you won't be able to write with us until the current storyline is concluded. The tale is nearing its conclusion and it would only serve to confuse things to try to add a new KiT to it now.

Also, we don't usually do KiTs in the main storyline, but we are too short-handed to have separate KiT quests, as we should. Generally, once your petition is accepted, you are assigned a mentor Knight and sent off on an assignment. You're given a vague description of a minor quest of some sort. (Dirk was sent to an old Guildhouse to retrieve an ancient and valuable weapon alone first; and then I wrote with Parador and we had to deliver a gift to Ghân-buri-Ghân on behalf of the Mithril Knights.) Unfortunately, there isn't anyone available that's not already in the main tale and can take a KiT on their quest.
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Lanastus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:23 am

Ok SB what I beleive I can conclude from all this is, A. less overthinking the charachter, go ahead and come up with a basic history and send the email as stated on the website :) right?
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:10 am

Yeah, that's what I said, right? Hehe. Actually, I was thinking the character itself needs a bit more right-brain consideration. For instance, if it were me, I'd take the personality of Lat (good overall concept no need to through hiim out completely), put him in a body that matches a race from Middle-earth (I think he was even bigger than Brondgast, our Beorning KiT, LOL) and add a fatal flaw of some sort, you know, like Erinhue's monster ego, or Tempest's anger management issues. :whistle:

And I forgot to mention another thing I really liked and that was the idea of a blacksmith using hammers as weapons. I know it's a ripoff of Pirates of the Carribean and Eragon (did I just admit I read that series? I didn't, uh, a friend told me about that part, yeah that's it.) We had a character, Bril, that was with us for a while that I was trying to get to go that direction, but I think he disappeared during my latest hiatus.

Make sure and send your email to Guruthostirn at anorast@mithrilknights.org as the other Knight Marshall, Parador, is probably either studying for finals or in the midst of taking them. Guru's kind of a big deal around here, you'll want to make sure you impress him. :thppt: :rofl: Seriously, though, copy me in, please, I'd love to read what you come up with - smaugsbane@mithrilknights.org.

Guru will read it and either ask you some questions to fill in any holes he might see; he might pass it along to one or two of the other Knights to get their opinions (I'll share mine, too); or he could go ahead and inform you that once we are able to start a new KiT tale, the Guild Steward will begin the KiT RP (hopefully in its own thread, separate from the main MK story) by writing and sending your character a letter inviting you to make your way to a Guildhouse to present himself as a candidate for training. At that time, you'll write your journey from wherever said warrior is to the chosen guildhouse and then the real fun begins.

A tip: You had the right idea by creating a scene to tell us about your character. Kill two birds with one stone by not doing the "DnD-style character sheet" They're fine for a quick reference to help your fellow RPers keep your character's info, descriptions, etc straight, but not so great at showing off your descriptive style.

Good Luck!

P.S. Hope I didn't sound too cranky last night when I was responding to you. My kids were keeping me awake so I just figured I'd check and see what was happening on TORC. The rest you know...
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am

Okay Windbag..... er I mean SB that was good. You are behaving yourself again. :roflmbo: I am sorry after reading all you said last night I could not help myself. :hug: You know that I love you.

Lanastus I agree with what SB said in general. Your character needs to be LoTR based ie, from one of the races of the Tolkien tales. And human to the point of he is not perfect and never could be. But the general idea of a fighter and someone with a bit of talent is good. Just keep it more real.

I too love the idea of him wielding hammers as weapon. I know if he were a blacksmith or smithy that he would be strong but then he might not be so swift or agile. Maybe look at the character of Balian in Kingdom of Heaven. He is strong but not huge, or he is able to fight but not truly skilled with a sword but his heart is huge. But concentrate on him more at the beginning rather then the end. His self doubts searching for something to believe in are what make him so believable and real.

Okay we have given you some ideas and we look forward to seeing what you work up. I do not know when you will be able to join with us but it sure gives us something to look forward to as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

Hey get some practice in Role Playing by joining some or one of the general rps in the Green Dragon or Prancing Pony in the mean time. :D It will give you time to practice playing in that genre as you develop your character for us. It need not be this character but it is fun to sink ones teeth into a story and pick up some ideas for others. :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lanastus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am

Ty Vana and SB , I appreciate the advice. SB I totally undetstand kids keeping you awake at night and took no offense or thought you were beeing a b*** buster. I think tomorrow night since I am off I will corner my wife and get her to help me with some of the finer points.
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 pm

That would be cool. Hey maybe you two can rp together somewhere like Guru and I do. I have not been in an RP with Tarina yet. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Your wife is a TORCer? Oh boy. Hope you have 2 different computers, 'cause if she's an RPer, too, then once you get fully addicted you may have fights for keyboard time. (Vana and Guru are in the same boat, but I believe they have their own machines with which to indulge.)

Wouldn't it be cool if a RL married couple played an RP married couple who fight as a team. i.e. the big, strong (hairy? I'm just sayin') black smith who'll crush your skull with a 16 pound sledgehammer, with a heart to match massive muscles and a weakness for beer, roasted meat, and puppies married to a lithe, stealthy hottie with deadly double daggers, an acrobatic fighting style, knows how to use her, ahem, resources to manipulate low-minded men and whose schemes are as intricate as he always-perfectly plaited (red? again, I'm just sayin') hair and can drink any man under the table, including her husband. Perhaps the reason they left their lovely home and successful business to became a fighters has something to do with a tragedy involving their kids...

:oops: :oops: P S ! Imagination got the better of me, there. sorry. Where was I? Oh yeah.

Hey Vana, nya nya :thppt: :hug: Right back at you sis!
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Oh SB you ornery little ..... well you know. I love ya hon!! Drive by!!!

I would never fit that bill for ya but if I could ever get Guru interested in my character you never know what would happen. :whistle:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Oh, I love it! Love it! And Lanastus, after the current thread is over, I can tell you as a KiT that getting there is half the fun. This is an amazing group, and we really hone each other's skills. It brings out the best in us, and that's what you have to look forward to when it's your turn.

Dr. Pepper on Sgt. Pepper anniversary!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Yes I have the laptop and he has the huge machine (the old one that wont let me on anymore) Something to do with my name being the registered name for the machine. So it has locked me out and anything to do with my name. So in Guru's (Anorast's) posts he can not mention me by name or it will delete the word. :roll: Egads I wish I knew why and how to fix it! Oh well at least I can do stuff on this comp! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lanastus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Well sb I think I can talk tarina into that :twisted: we have started planning it out infact.
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby SmaugsBane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Well, as long as you are here with your low post count to balance out all those spamming ring bearers (and double ring bearers). Especially since you'll be bringing another one! Heck, I bet we're the only RP with two double ringers!

Seriously, I think it would be an awesome addition to the MKs! Please consider petitioning the guild together and running the joint storyline with us. My head is swimming with ideas already. :roll: You know, on second thought, maybe you guys shouldn't. I write too much as it is, last thing anyone wants to see is me inspired and full of ideas. Last time it happened, I wrote 13 pages (on Word). LOL J/K I really do think it would make the MKs even that much more original and dynamic.
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Lanastus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I do beleive I have talked her into it, so tomorrow night we are going to take pencils in hand and work on something to petition the guild with hopefully her left brain will balance out my right brain enough to get some good stuff :)
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 am

Hmmm...... SB I am not sure if I should be insulted by your remarks about ring bearers or if I should just laugh at you. Hey I didn't run away from the boards for years on end darling and I was an active adopter so that is why my post count is up there along with RPing and other stuff. Me spam?? I think not!!

Well, maybe a tiny bit!!! :roflmbo: :hug: But you be careful what you say about my rings mister!!! :nono:

*TAG* You are it and this is a DRIVE BY!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lanastus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Well I get tarina involved and I know she wants a second ring. so hopefully I can keep her going with torc :TORC: and one day yes, one day the precious... err I mean i will have a ring too
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Probably by this weekend, the way you are going. :P I keep jumping whenever I see "Mithril Knights," thinking somebody is posting up at the RP. So far, nobody.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Lanastus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:34 pm

hehe CR this is what happens when you have waaaayyy too much time on your hands
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:48 pm

That's true. Sorry, my reply was over a year late. Oh, Vana, please tell Guru I miss him. In fact, I miss all my MK friends. :cry2:

From a hopeful KiT.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Parador~J » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:32 pm

I tell ya...you guys are ever with me no matter how long I've been gone...I've missed all of you terribly!!!! :grouphug:

I have so much to update you on...and yes....I'M BACK!!!!!

***grabs Vana, SB, Tempest, Erinhue, Guru, Cock-Robin, Idril and Claymore in to a huge group hug!!

MUHAHAHAHAH :wink:

I'll update you on my journey later this evening.... :thumbsup:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Cock-Robin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm

PARADOR!!! :hug: :yippie: Long time no see! I missed you, and am SO glad you're back!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Yes yes do come back and fill us in hon!!! I have missed you so much!!

Give that lovely hunk of husband of yours a huge hug from your sweet sister of the heart, ME!!!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Parador~J » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 pm

VANA and COCK-ROBIN!!!!

I've sure missed you guys too!!!! :D :grouphug:

It's great to be back...although my life is still busy (really, all of our lives are)...I'll not be staying away....school is what took me away for awhile. And it was brutal to say the least :P

I passed all my classes for the LVN program except for one...and that was third semester...it was my Medical-Surgical II class. They said I would have to retake that whole 3rd semester even tough I passed everything...to which I refused :|

Honestly...I was only doing it to make better money...I've never been interested in nursing. I'm still proud of myself for having passed the whole program (except the one class), plus work my 24 hours for the week and fall in love and get married...it was tough...

I'll be back in a bit to update you on other things going on...and get caught up on all of your lives :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to being back with MK and TORC :heart:

I gave my honey a BIG HUG from you, Vana!! LOL:) :D

:TORC:
Last edited by Parador~J on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks, Parador! I missed you and also missed the unique sig pictures you have, which to me signified what Mithril Knights is about, and what attracted me to it. I hope soon for the storyline to be completed and my eventual initiation becomes a reality.

I'm so happy for you that all your dreams have come to pass.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 pm

:shock: PJ! Hail and Hiya darlin. So nice ta see one of my favorite KiT's. Good ta see ya.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Parador~J » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:23 pm

ERINHUE!!!!

The Bard by trade...the Warrior by chance : )

I've always loved that saying of yours, heh:)

I'll not ever forget my KiT with you, Idril and Elbren...it was a very special time then...and still is. I love this guild and this message board called TORC...I just know we'll always be hanging out in this place. Even when we've passed on...we'll be here in spirit...and to cause some mahem!!! LOLOL:)

It's sure great to see you, Hue...look forward to getting back in to the thick of things :D

Why thank-you, Cock-Robin...that was nice :)

I'm just sure glad you're hanging in there...it will be a grand party when you get initiated! :D

Vana....sister of my heart...it's so good to be home away from home :)

Is Idril still here?

:hihi: Tempest!!

SB...where are you boss?
Last edited by Parador~J on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm

That's what I'd like to know, Parador. SB is mentoring me and my character Meneldor the Swift. He's been gone for a while, but I hope to see him back.

And I do hope Idril comes back as well. She is so precious.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:15 pm

To be honest, I think Idril is gone now. I know that some serious stuff came up again with her and she isn't able to handle a lot right now. So I fear that she is gone for good this time. I rarely even see her online anymore.

It really is a sad thing and a very heart wrenching thing to see her going through this and not being able to help her. Perhaps our prayers and time will get her through. :hug: We love you Idril hon!! We miss you dearly but wish you all the best.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth