Riders of Rohan: Fourth Muster

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 pm

Great post Lark! Nice touch with hiring real Dunlenders! Can't wait to see that. :D

Anoriell wrote:
Got a question though... it is said that Edoras would have about 200-some buildings (including houses, public buildings and such); now do you think there'd be more than one Inn within the timber walls surrounding the city?

In the famous words of Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Make it so!

Most certainly would have been more than one I would think, so make it so. ;)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby lark » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I agree with Dan. I would think since Edoras is the capital there would be several Inns in the city. In fact I was thinking about mentioning in a future post that the homeless horses and stable staff from the fire were being housed at more then one Inn. :)

I’m still thinking about Writing Slugworts into the story. I’m not crazy about the idea of having two characters and I’ve never written a male character before but I really miss having a character that can pal around with the good guys. Anyone else have an opinion about it?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 am

Hail Riders!

Just passing on some info that Lark and JF have been out of power and utilities since Sunday when the remnants of Hurricane Ike rolled through with a lot of wind. Please say a prayer for them as they recover. Hopefully they will be back to normal soon.

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Anoriell » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:27 am

Elladan_Elfhelm wrote:Hail Riders!

Just passing on some info that Lark and JF have been out of power and utilities since Sunday when the remnants of Hurricane Ike rolled through with a lot of wind. Please say a prayer for them as they recover. Hopefully they will be back to normal soon.

Dan

::grumbles at new post notification emails not getting through to Yahoo Inbox::

They are in my thoughts as I send positive vibes their way.

Thanks for the head's up, Dan.

Anoriell
Anoriell
Petitioner to the Council

Postby lark » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 am

After nine days without electricity or running water, our power has finally come back on!!!!! :happydance: :clap: :happydance: :clap: :happydance:

Since last Sunday, the 14th, we’ve been forced to haul water up from a cistern out by the pond (and none too close to the house) to water the horses and goats and other animals not to mention flushing the toilet. :oops: Up until last Thursday, things like ice, flashlights and C and D batteries were nearly impossible to purchase. It’s been crazy! Something like 300,000 lost power in our area. I'll try to get some pics of the storm damage up later on. But, it’s finally over for us! :)

Dan, thank you for writing that post, and thank you Anoriell for the positive vibes. :) :) Give us a few days to recover and try to get things back to normal around here (whatever that is :roll: ) and we’ll try to get back to the RP. I think J_F was actually working on a post before our lives were so rudely interrupted. :wink:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Anoriell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am

So glad to see that you are well ... despite all that comes with such an unfortunate situation. Reminds me of the ice storm we had back in the '90s. Weeks without power. Ice everywhere. And the Canadian army patrolling the streets, keeping order and helping where they can.

Mother Nature is one powerful lady! We should stop upsetting her.

But really happy to see you post here today. We'll all breathe a little easier knowing you are both fine. :)

Anoriell
Anoriell

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:28 am

Glad to hear things are settling down and that you have power again, Lark! And sorry for not posting before... things have been crazy.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks for the nice words. :) Things are finally starting to feel normal again. Power is definitely a good thing. :wink:

I decided to go ahead and write Slugwortz into the story. :) Hope no one minds. I guess I can always write him out again if I need to. :P J_F has a post started but has been working a lot of hours and hasn’t had time to finish it yet. It only deals with our characters going to Dunland so it shouldn’t hold anyone else back if they want to post. :)

In the main hall of Meduseld, a middle aged woman sat hoping for an audience with the King or at least someone representing him. She was dressed in elvish clothing though her features were obviously rohirric. She had had a long ride to Rohan and a difficult time getting into Edoras and her weariness showed on her face and in her posture. A few feet away from her, a boy in his teens slouched in his chair, intentionally not looking at her.

At last one of the king’s guards entered and the woman stood to greet him, her face lighting up with recognition. “Haleth!” She said, taking his hand and smiling at him warmly. “It’s wonderful to see you. How is Rowyn?”

“She and Deor are doing well. Busy with the farm and the children.” He answered, gesturing for her to sit again and taking a seat across from her. “What brings you to Edoras, Lark? Last I heard you were in Mirkwood with your husband.”

Lark glanced at the slouching boy and Haleth followed her gaze. “There was a time when my service would have been enough to get me in to see the king.” She said quietly.

“The king’s own sister would have trouble getting in to see him today. It’s nothing personal Lark. I assume you’ve heard what’s happened?”

Lark furrowed her brow. “I’ve heard many troubling rumors. I was hoping maybe you could clear things up for me. Has Dunland really attacked Meduseld?”

Haleth ran his hand through his hair. His blue-gray eyes were troubled. “There was an attempt on Eomer’s life two nights ago. They looked like Dunlanders, but we can’t be sure. That same night someone set fire to the royal stable and the armory, but we don’t know who. Some say they saw wildmen around, but the people are getting so spooked at this point, it’s hard to know.”

Lark looked at the boy again. “This is troubling news, to be sure. And especially bad timing for me…not that there’s ever a good time for this sort of thing.” She heaved a sigh. “I’ll come right to the point. This is my son, Slugwortz.”

“Slugwortz?” Haleth repeated.

Lark was accustomed to that reaction to his name and continued, “I’m afraid he’s been having a difficult time in Mirkwood and has gotten into a bit of trouble…repeatedly. In fact, he’s been brought before King Thranduil three times now. His grandmother had sway with the elvish council and was always able to get him off before, but she’s left for the Grey Havens and I’m afraid of what will happen if he get’s in trouble again. You see, Sluggy is only one quarter elf, and there’s really no one else his age there. The next youngest elf is nearly fifty and he doesn’t have many friends. He spends way too much time with that Dunadan, Riot, and she only encourages him to get into more trouble. It’s a real problem. I brought him here hoping the king might find a position for him here at Meduseld. Just until Ranthim’s term as ambassador is over and we can move back to Rohan.”

Haleth looked at the boy, considering him carefully. Sluggy had grown bored with looking at the floor and was instead studying the tapestries that covered the walls of the Golden Hall, allowing Haleth a chance to see his face for the first time. He had dark hair, cut vary close on either side as if it had been shaved and then grown out over time, but longer in the middle. He had his mother’s green eyes, rimmed with dark lashed but with a glint of mischievousness that was all his own. Other then being very thin and having slight points at the top of each ear, he could easily pass for mortal and his looks were average though he was at an age when some features were outgrowing others so that his nose looked just a little too big for his face and his feet just a little too big for his frame. Unfortunately, he was also at a rebellious age and he had numerous piercings in his face, none of which were in his ears.

Haleth chose his words carefully, “King Eomer has great respect for all those that served in the war and does all he can for them. I could probably find something for him, but you should know that the people are very suspicious of any one that looks the least bit different right now.”

Lark looked at her son and immediately understood what he was getting at. “Sluggy, you need to take out all your piercings. This is important.”

The boy looked at her expression, and though he rolled his eyes, he didn’t try to argue. One by one he took them out and handed them to her. As it turned out, most of them weren’t real. Only cleverly made pieces of metal that looked like piercing. Spring loaded rings and magnets mostly.

“I wish we could do something about your hair.” Lark commented.

“We could shave it off.” Sluggy offered.

Lark gave him an expression that only a mother can give. “In case you haven’t noticed, the men of Rohan wear there hair long. Just promise me you won’t cut it while I’m gone.”

Haleth looked uncomfortable as he approached the next topic. “Now, about his name…is that elvish?”

“No, it’s not.” Lark said with annoyance. “When Sluggy was born, Ranthim told me that Slugwortz was an old family name and if we named the baby that, it would be a wonderful way for me to get his mother to finally like me. His mother and I never got along. Well, it turns out it wasn’t an old family name, Ranthim just really liked the sound of it, and his mother hated me more then ever.” She finished. Sluggy snickered.

“Does he have any nicknames or something he could go by that doesn’t stand out so much?”

Lark thought for a moment. “When he was a baby I called him Bear. He was quite furry. I guess it was the dwarf coming out in him.” She mused.

“Bear…” Haleth said slowly.

“Beorn?” Lark offered.

“That could work.” Haleth said.

“Beorn? You want me to change my name to Beorn?” Sluggy said incredulously. The name had much more significance to him since the man, Beorn, if you could call him a man, lived near Mirkwood and was the butt of many of Ranthim’s jokes. Sluggy scowled.

“It’ll just be for a little while, dear. It’s important that you fit in here. It’s extremely nice of Haleth to help us like this under the circumstances and I want you to pay him back by doing your best and staying out of trouble.” Lark said.

“There’s one more thing.” Haleth said. “You have to understand with all that’s been going on here there’s a degree of caution with all new people. The best I can do is to get him a job as a stable hand for now. Will that be acceptable?”

“Of course it is. Sluggy…I mean Beorn has a wonderful way with horses. It comes very naturally to elves.” Lark said.

“I thought the stables were burnt down.” Sluggy said skeptically.

“Yes, well that will be one of your first duties. The stable hands are helping to build the new stable. In the mean time the men and horses are staying at an inn near by. I’ll walk there with you and introduce you to the Stable Master.” Said Haleth.

Lark hesitated. “You’ve been very generous Haleth, but if you’ll allow me, I’ll ask two more things of you. first,” she reached into a pack and pulled out a handful of parchments, “if the occasion ever arises, these are designs for machines that Sluggy made that maybe you could show to whoever it would concern in order to get him a better position if the chance comes. He’s very clever like his father. He also speaks Sindarin and a little Quenya and Dwarvish. He learns languages very quickly. He’d do well as an interpreter.”

Haleth was looking at the parchments, seemingly impressed. “what’s this one?”

Lark took it back from him and studied it for a moment. “It seems to be a trebuchet designed specifically to fling goats at people.” she said, rolling her eyes. “Sluggy?”

Sluggy tried to stifle a laugh. Lark stuffed that parchment back into her pack. “Well, along with his father’s intelligence, I’m afraid he got his sense of humor too.”

“What was the second thing you wanted to ask of me?” Haleth said, trying not to laugh himself.

“Ranthim said that your niece, Maerwyn was serving here in the Golden Hall. I thought maybe, when you get a chance, you could introduce her to Sluggy? I mean, Beorn. I’d feel better if I knew he had a friend.”

Haleth smiled at her. “Consider it done. Come on, I’ll walk you to the inn now.”

The three of them left the Golden Hall, stopping outside so Lark and Sluggy could get their horses. Lark took hers by the reins, leading him behind her but Sluggy simply spoke a few words in elvish to his and the animal immediately came, following his master obediently. Haleth looked to Lark. “That’s very impressive, but if he wants to fit in, you might want to tell him not to do that.”

Lark was so used to elves handling horses this way, she hadn’t noticed until he brought it to her attention. “Beorn.” She said, shaking the reins in her hand. Sluggy rolled his eyes and took his horse’s reins. His mother smiled at him reassuringly. “Don’t worry, son. You’ll get the hang of it.”
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:59 am

Great post Lark. Very funny one too with the goat tossing trebucet. :P

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

Baaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

:P
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Illyria_Orthriel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Sheez, it's been way to dang long guys! I love where the RP is going and I'm having a great time reading it! Great job ya'll! It's so nice to read fan writings from people who actually know how to write. I read things on fanfiction.net all the time and some of the authors (if you can call them that) write so simply, I can barely read them cause I get so bored reading their simplistic writing style. Anywho. It's great to be back and keep those posts coming on the RP. I like it! love to you all
Illyria_Orthriel
Shield Bearer

Location: I'd rather be in Edoras right now.....even though I'm an elf

Postby lark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

I’m glad you liked the post Dan. :) Actually, I’m thrilled that anyone read it and commented on it. :P This place has been dead!

Wonderful to see you again Illyria and thanks for the kind words! :) Join the RP!! We always need more writers! :)

Seriously, if someone (other then me) doesn’t write an IC post soon, I’m going to hurt myself and it will be all your fault and you’ll all have to live with that!! :shock: Think that will work? :? Maybe I should threaten to start kicking my animals around if no one posts. I know we have some animals lovers on this thread… :twisted:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 am

All right, all right, I'll see what I can come up with. I have the beginnings of a post in my head, but things were crazy busy last week (whch was probably why I didn't comment, though I did read your post, Lark! :bang: ). But I'll see what I can do.

Beautiful horses, btw!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 am

Thank you Smor! :) I can’t believe that worked! I’m certainly glad. I really didn’t want to hurt myself and I don’t have the heart to kick any of my animals. :P Now my kids on the other hand… :twisted:

Thanks also for complimenting my horses. :) Now you’re my new favorite! :D J_F made me go riding last weekend. It was the first time I’d been on Belle since she bucked me off a few months ago. (It really wasn’t her fault. A bitless bridle with a faulty bosal scared her.) We just got Reaver for J_F a week ago. She’s a wonder horse to us because she’s pregnant and due to foal in March. :) I guess I shouldn’t start talking about the horses because if I do, I’ll never shut up. :roll:

I can’t wait to read your post Smor! :)
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Hopefully I didn't let you down, Lark....

“Maerwyn, are you sure this is a good idea?” Elmund asked, eyeing his younger cousin skeptically as they walked down the hall.

“She was lying, I’m certain of it,” Maerwyn replied they reached the door to Lyrria’s room. Though her voice was still raspy from the smoke, her tone was firm as she continued, “Think about it—with all that’s been going on here the last few days, don’t you think she’s picked a strange time to suddenly leave town? And that cousin of hers, if he really is her cousin… something about him really disturbs me, Elmund.”

“So she lied about a letter,” Elmund started.

“It’s not just that,” Maerwyn interrupted. “That Dunraith doesn’t seem to like the King very much. And don’t you think it’s strange that she wouldn’t remember which guard gave her the letter? She knows every servant and guard who’s worked here. Not that she ever really talked to any of them, but still!” Elmund still looked uncertain, so she said, “Look, are you going to help me or not? I need someone to keep an eye out for me. Almiel’s busy helping the healers who are taking care of the people still injured from last night, and I can’t trust anyone in this palace right now, except for Uncle Haleth. And you know he wouldn’t approve of this.”

Elmund grinned mischievously. “You could always ask the Prince,” he retorted. “I’d wager he’d be more than happy to help you with your little scheme.”

“Oh, shut up,” Maerwyn said crossly. She still wasn’t sure what to make of Theodred’s behavior after that stranger had pulled her out of the barn. Nor did she care to think about it right then. So she opened the door and quickly shoved Elmund inside, shutting it behind her.

“Wow, what a mess,” Elmund said softly, looking around at the room. It was obvious that Lyrria had packed for wherever she was going in a hurry.

“Good,” Maerwyn replied matter-of-factly. “Then it won’t be obvious that we’ve been here.” With that, she began tugging at the mattress, lifting it up to see if anything of importance was stashed beneath it.

“You know your parents are going to kill you if you get kicked out of here for snooping in another servant’s room,” Elmund pointed out.

“Ha,” Maerwyn retorted. “Mother would have come here sooner. And if you stop trying to talk me out of this and start actually looking, we won’t get caught, and it won’t be an issue, right?” Elmund sighed, but began rummaging around the room.

After several minutes of this, Elmund made a disgusted face. “You’d think she could have at least cleaned up after cutting her hair.”

Maerwyn glanced over, then knelt down on the ground. “This isn’t hers,” she said excitedly. “I would have noticed if she’d cut it this much shorter.” Peering under the small chest of drawers, she gasped and then pulled a few small objects out—a spool of thread and a razor. “And I know she doesn’t trim her beard!”

“Is anyone courting her? Maybe it belongs to him,” Elmund pointed out, though he was beginning to look more interested as well.

Maerwyn gave him a very unladylike snort. “Obviously, you’ve never met Lyrria,” she said.

“So what are you thinking, then?” Elmund asked.

“Isn’t it obvious? She didn’t cut her own hair, and she certainly doesn’t shave. We know that the men who attacked the King might not really be Dunlenders. So maybe the one that got away came here, and she was helping him!” Maerwyn jumped up, pulling open another drawer to see if she could find any further evidence to support her theory.

“You’re jumping to conclusions, Maerwyn,” he replied. “And you’re basically accusing her of treason. You’d better be really sure before you…” Elmund stopped speaking abruptly then, his head jerking up. Maerwyn looked at him curiously, then froze. The unmistakable sound of footprints was coming down the hall…and heading straight for Lyrria’s room.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am

Awesome post Smor! You never let me down! :)

Smor wrote:“Obviously, you’ve never met Lyrria,”

That made me laugh. :D

Did you have any plans for the approaching footsteps or are they open to anyone who wants to pick up where you left off? I don’t have anything in mind, I’m just asking. :P
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:02 pm

lark wrote:Did you have any plans for the approaching footsteps or are they open to anyone who wants to pick up where you left off? I don’t have anything in mind, I’m just asking. :P

Should I go with the usual disclaimer and say open to anyone but JF? :twisted: :wink:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 am

Great post Smor!!! Hmmm, what to do with those footsteps? Let me think on that one...and I had to laugh at the thought of Lyrria having a beard. :P haha!!!
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Johnny_Flett » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:50 pm

They had been stopped by soldiers at least half a dozen times as they made their way from Edoras toward the Gap of Rohan. Since they were obviously Rohirric, and their story plausible enough (they were returning to the Westfold to see his brother who was dying) they had encountered very little in the way of serious questioning.
Once through the gap, however, they were questioned at length on two separate occasions. One captain had them dismount, and they were escorted to a tent, where they were questioned thoroughly by the Captain and a soldier familiar with the destination Dunraith had given them. As it turned out, Dunraith and the soldier were distant cousins (weren’t they all?), and they departed on the best of terms. The captain warned them, however, that from there on out he could not guarantee their safety, as he had only a handful of sentries, scouts and pickets in the area.

Once through the Gap they veered off the North-South road towards Dunland, picking up a less traveled road that ran parallel to the Misty Mountains.

Dunraith did his best to remain cheerful, and he tried to calm Lyrria, who was growing increasingly agitated as the sun began to set. At first he thought she was simply afraid of the wildmen, of whose attrocities they were all familiar with; but it began to dawn on him that she was perhaps more afraid of him.

And that thought pleased him.

As darkness fell, they rounded a bend to find the road blocked by several felled trees. Dunraith
immediately unfastened his sword; his mind flashed back to a time when he was younger and
had been stopped in a similar fashion. He had been robbed, savagely beaten, and left for dead. The
few who knew him well were aware that he had been not quite right in head ever since.

A man, obviously Rohirric, emerged from the woods near the roadblock. He appeared to be a soldier, although his uniform was ratty and he wore no helmet.

“Halt! By order of the King!” he called out, before taking a bite out of an apple.

“Greetings!” cried Dunraith. “We bring tidings from Meduseld!”

“More tidings from Meduseld? I do wish they would quit bothering us!” the man replied cooly, barring their path. One hand rested on the hilt of his sword, while the other one wielded his Red Delicious.

“Tidings of…smitings!” With impeccable timing, Dunraith drew his sword and spurred his horse.
The guard, caught flat-footed, could only stare in disbelief as the blade ripped his belly open. He fell onto his knees, then face first into the dust, still clutching the blood, red fruit.

Lyrria saw Dunraith hurriedly dismount and run into the wood very near the spot where the soldier had appeared. But she was immediately distracted by the fallen soldier, who moaned pitifully “Help me…”
He was reaching for her, and his face was a deathly white. “Help me…please…”

She was afraid to help, yet afraid not to. She dismounted, when suddenly there came a very loud scream and the clank of steel from the woods. The sound of battle quickly ebbed, as one of the combatants’ screams turned from anger to fear, and then to sheer terror.

Lyrria backed away, horrified by the sounds of the butchering that was taking place not thirty yards away.
She had never heard anything like it, in either desperation or duration. It continued for so long that she felt that she would completely lose her reason. “Stop! Stop!! Stop!!!” she finally screamed, and turning to run, she stumbled and fell.

Raising herself up onto one elbow, she found herself face to face with the first soldier, who was pathetically trying to drag himself away from the horrific sounds. He hadn’t made it far; as he was only able to use one hand. The other clutched his abdomen, to keep his guts from flopping out. He had left a wide, dark red swath in the dust. A solitary entrail, caked with dirt, seemed to tether him to the spot where he initially fell.

“Kill me…please…” he croaked, grabbing her ankle.

Dunraith suddenly appeared; he strode up, placed a boot on the man’s head, and with four powerful
hacks separated it from his body. He let out a mighty “Hah!“, and gave the head a kick that sent it bounding away.

His eyes finally met Lyrria’s, and his features relaxed a little. “Oh…I’m sorry. Where are my manners?”
She closed her eyes instinctively as his sword came down; again there was the sound of bone splintering, and another spray of warm blood splashed onto her face.

She cautiously opened one eye; the soldier’s hand, now severed at the wrist, still held her ankle.

“C’mon…start covering this mess up while I get their horses…”

Lyrria was as white as a sheet and for a moment he thought she might faint. Instead he found himself quickly sidestepping to avoid getting vomit on his boots. She got up shakily and turned her head, wincing as she had to shake her leg several times to free it from the grasp of the disembodied hand.

“Squeamish?” He said sarcastically

She looked up at him viciously, “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Wrong with me? You’re the one who nearly threw-up all over my good boots!”

“Why did you kill these men? We talked our way through all the other road blocks!” She swallowed hard trying to master herself. She glanced at the decapitated corps nearby then hurriedly looked away again. “I knew him.” She finished in a quieter voice.

“Was he some kin of yours, or a close friend?” Dunraith asked with little emotion.

“No.” Lyrria confessed.

“Did he owe you money?”

“No.” Lyrria said again, obviously growing angry.

“Then what’s the problem?”

“You act as if they were nothing more then an obstacle in your path!” She snapped.

“They were an obstacle in my path!” He countered. “There is nothing on the other side of those trees but Dunland. How were we supposed to talk our way through their road block? What excuse could we possibly have given this time?” Unable to answer, Lyrria looked away. Dunraith continued, “If you’re this easily upset, we may have a serious problem on our hands.”

“What do you mean?” She said, suddenly looking up again.

“In case you’ve forgotten, we’re planning to assassinate the King. How do I know your prudishness won’t lead you to back out on me and leave me holding the bag?” He said coldly.

Lyrria looked shocked, “I’m not going to back out on you! You just…caught me off guard with this…” She looked around again in the failing light at blood and gore that surrounded her. “You were just so…brutal.”

“Killing is always brutal. If you think otherwise, you’re kidding yourself. You better learn to master your emotion quickly, Lyrria.” He wiped his sword off on the dead body and sheathed it. “Now, if we leave these bodies here, we’re guaranteed twice the guard when we come back this way. We need to find their horses, collect any gear they may have had, and do our best to cover the mess. We’ll load the bodies up on their horses and dump them off further down the road where they’ll be less likely to be found.”

“I’ll get the horses.” Lyrria said quickly and began walking away.

“Well? What are you staring at?” she heard Dunraith’s voice behind her. She glanced back, just in time to avoid being hit by the careening, severed head he had kicked at her.

Lark: get us back to Meduseld so we can take care of those meddling kids!
Johnny_Flett
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Wow, that was one violent post! Violent for certain! *Sends JF some Veggietales movies. Just got the "Pirates who don't do anything" the other day. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh matey. :P :D

Elmund and Maerwyn looked at each and held their breath, and quickly looked around the room for a place to hide. Elmund looked under the bed, but there was no way he could fit underneath it. The chest and cabinet in the room were not big enough for the both of them hide behind. Finally his eyes fell upon the small closet in the corner of the room. He grabbed Maerwyn's hand and pulled her toward it and flung up open the door.

Elmund's eyes widened as he looked at the cluttered up closet. "We won't both fit in there," Maerwyn said.

"We'll have to," Elmund answered quickly, as he reached into the closet and pulled out three or four dresses and threw them on the bed.

"What are you doing?" Maerwyn asked, but Elmund did not answer, as he pushed her into the closet and pulled the door closed behind him plunging them into darkness. Elmund almost lost his breathe, as Maerwyn's elbow got stuck in his rib cage.

"Move over," Maerwyn whispered with agitation.

"I can't move, and you're standing on my foot," Elmund said with a wince.

They both grew quiet, as the footsteps stopped outside or Lyrria's room. Their hearts raced, as there was a knock on the door, and a familiar voice on the other end of the door spoke. "Lyrria? Are you there?" Theodred's voice came from the hall. Maerwyn's eyes grew wide in the darkness at the sound of the prince's voice. What was he doing here asking for Lyrria?

She didn't have to wait long for a reply, as the knob gently turned and opened. "Lyrria? Have you seen Maerwyn today?" The door opened partially. "Hmmm, I could have swore I heard voices in here, and the door was open."

A long silenced issued, and Maerwyn felt like she would burst from trying to be quiet. Elmund just leaned back against the wall trying to hide the smile that was creeping across his face from his cousin. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity the door closed and they heard the Prince walk away back down the hall.

Maerwyn slung open the closet door, and breathed deeply. "What was he doing here?"

"He was looking for you," Elmund said with a laugh.

"We have to get out of here and fast," Maerwyn said. "What if he had checked the closet?"

"I would have had to have kissed you then," Elmund said with an innocent grin on his face. He ducked under the blow that was aimed at his head, as Maerwyn headed for the door with Elmund close behind her. They left the room, and walked down the hallway only to run into Theodred just as he was coming out of a washroom...............

:P :D :twisted:
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Illyria_Orthriel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Good post Elladan. Way to make Maerwyn feel uncomfortable. :lol:
Illyria_Orthriel
Shield Bearer

Location: I'd rather be in Edoras right now.....even though I'm an elf

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Illyria_Orthriel wrote:Good post Elladan. Way to make Maerwyn feel uncomfortable. :lol:

Yeah, what she said! :club: :wink:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:36 am

Awesome posts guys!! :) :) Shocking Blood and guts, J_F! :shock: Perfect for this time of year. Now I have to try and out-do you. :wink:

Dan, I seem to remember another post where a character of yours kissed a character of Smor’s to hide what they were really up to :whistle: :P …something like that. Great post! :)

I have something simmering in the backburner for both fronts if I can find some time to develop it and type it out. :) Smor, expect an email from me soon.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Riot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:29 am

So I was away and stuff and busy and stuff...and Lark emotionally blackmailed me into posting...and stuff. :P I'd ask, but I already have been commanded, cajoled, and threatened, so I'm not risking the wrath of Lark.

Dunraith is charmingly uncouth and homicidal. Lyrria is a harpy. Etc. With that sort of stiff crowd, you need an optimist, a beacon in the dark, a glowing ray of blinding sunshine. No idea where you're going to find that. I have Riot. As Riot/Roita is a Dunedain, her aging is pretty slow. She's been wandering and chosen a rather inopportune time to visit.

I took off of J_F's post and stuff...whoever wants to follow up can. I don't think I've ruined anyone's post. Yet.

Oh yeah. Hi. How are you?

How long had it been since she’d been in Rohan? Roita scratched her head and then began counting on her fingers and toes. It added up to 16. Well, over 16 years. Roita had lost a few digits since she’d been back. Two fingers and two toes…half an ear as well, but that wasn’t a digit so it didn’t really count. There were a lot of ways to lose body parts: frostbite, battles, a rather nasty accident involving too much grog and an ill-place bear trap…

Roita rode astride her thin black horse, bouncing along at breakneck speed with a battleaxe strapped to her back. Reaver whinnied and Roita patted her absently, oblivious of the horse’s continued attempts to clothesline her in trees. She knew people in Rohan, once upon a time, but time was a funny thing and while she wasn’t an elf, her lifespan was unusually long and a decade or two wasn’t that big of a deal. Lark was still fit and kicking, and she’d run into Ranthim a day or two ago, running at the beck and call of that mincing prat Thranduil. Can you say emasculated? Ugh.

Lark was supposed to be in Rohan, up at Meduseld if she remembered correctly. She’d seen Lark since returning from the Eastern lands. Roita was a little worse for wear and maybe a little less sane than when she started out. That was hard to tell and she didn’t mind at all. On her way through the Gap she occasionally ran into little outposts of Rohirrim, but none made any attempt to answer her calls and occasionally her cloak was perforated with arrows for her trouble.

Running her dirty fingers through her tangled black hair, Roita wondered if there was pipeweed to be had in Rohan. Names slipped through her sieve-like mind, and she sort of remembered a heroic yet clueless captain and his sweet, sensitive, battleaxe of a wife. There were more shieldmaidens, a particularly high-strung one who brained her with a bottle one New Year’s eve, and her adoring and effeminate loveslave. Or something, they were starting to blend together. And was there a token horse-like one who threw horrendous temper tantrums and kept having all these stupid accidents? Roita wasn’t sure, she might have imagined that part.

So…in however many years she’d been away, what were they doing? She wondered before a shiny object caught her eye. She pulled Reaver to a halt, and dismounted, avoiding a bite as she passed in front of her old and cranky horse. Reaver’s vision wasn’t quite what it used to be.

It was a sword and Roita immediately scoped out the surrounding area. Lying nearby was a rather battered and eviscerated corpse. Rohirric by the smell of it. Oh, and was that an apple? It was brown, but you couldn’t be picky about those sorts of things. Roita picked it up and carried it back to Reaver. The horse nearly took another finger, but the ranger was faster than that one time.

Dead soldier, not wearing a helmet, Roita noted. Should’ve worn a helmet, she thought oblivious of her own lack of headgear. Reaver crunched away at the apple. She caught glimpses of body parts scattered around the area and decided since they were so close to civilization, ok she was being liberal with that term. Maybe a helmet wouldn’t have helped. Alas. Since they were so close to Meduseld, she could afford to not scavenge the pieces. Riding into towns covered in blood usually put things off to a rocky start.

“Halt, who goes…Oh gods…is that…ugh…” There was the sound of a large man vomiting.

“To arms! To arms!” Roita thought she only counted one and if they were yelling that did the dead guy actually have three? Oh, there were soldiers riding toward her and they didn’t look happy. Mounting Reaver, Roita dug in her heels and the horse took off. She didn't think they got a good look at her. Damn, and she wasn’t even covered in blood.

After night fell, she was alone. She’d lost her pursuers and her way, but she was content. She herself was rarely lost as she was usually right where she was. Sure it was dark, and the Rohirrim were an excitable bunch, the shoot first, beat later, ask questions if you remember to, sort, but it was night and they had notoriously short attention spans. Or was that rangers? And didn’t rangers have the same philosophy? Roita wasn’t sure.

Up ahead she saw fires and cautiously proceeded. It was another checkpoint, but Reaver was a smart horse, possibly smarter than herself and they continued toward where Roita suspected Meduseld was.

It wasn’t till dawn that Roita rode to the gates, noting the dark looks, pointing, and whispers in her direction. OK, so she wasn’t the prettiest or the cleanest, but they couldn’t really go around pointing fingers, not without Reaver biting them off.

“Halt, who are you and what is your business?” A soldier waved a spear in her face and she resisted the urge to grab it and break it over his head.

“My name is Roita,” she said and her voice was rusty from disuse. She sounded strange to even herself. “I’m a Dunedain.”

“Dunuh-Dunlander?” He growled, eyebrows knit together fiercely, like woolly caterpillars attempting to mate, but everyone knew that was silly, caterpillars didn’t mate… The air grew still and tenser. She heard reassuring things like “burn, maim, lynch.”

“Gods no,” she snorted. “Dunedain. Ranger. You know, Aragorn’s kin.”

“You don’t look related to any king,” he snarled, gesturing to her worn clothes and wild hair.

“Yeah, and you all look related. What’s your point?” Roita crossed her arms. “Besides, Dunlanders are short.” She glared down at him. “You’re shorter than me. Who knows what your mother was diddling.”

“I don’t like your attitude and I think you’re a spy. That’s a Rohirric horse, I think it’s stolen.” He gestured to Reaver.

“Dunedain…” She scowled. “Reaver was a gift. I fought on Pelennor with some of your kind years ago. It was a special unit.” Special needs.

“Oh? Who was the Captain?”

Roita scratched her head. “Hmm, good question. They all sort of looked alike. Fair and fell and chewed with their mouths open.”

“Guards!”

“I knew Larkspur, shieldmaiden, married a half-elf dwarf thing and stuff. They have a kid?” Roita offered as five guards surrounded her. Her battleaxe was in her hands in seconds and Reaver reared and kicked.

“Seize her!” Came the roar and there was the distinct possibility of bystanders becoming involved.

Roita smiled, darkly. The edge of the axe gleamed in the morning light. She kept that axe very clean. “You really don’t want to do that.”

“Now what’s going on? Oh dung,” a new voice cried. “Stop!”

Riot causes a riot? Post, post for fear of what Riot will do to you if you don't. :twisted:
Last edited by Riot on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riot
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Hello Riot!! I don’t remember emotionally blackmailing you, but that doesn’t meant I didn’t. I don’t remember a lot of things these days. :roll: It’s good to see you here anyway. :) Your post put me in a bit of a spot, but I think I can manage. I’ve only gotten the first half of my post done. (Yes, this is only half. :roll: The other half deals with Lyrria and Dunraith and Riot messed me up just a wee little bit) It shouldn’t take me as long to get my second post done, and anyway, it shouldn’t keep anyone else from posting if they want to. :wink:

As usual, if anyone has a problem with this, just let me know and I’ll change it. :) Remember when we used to joke about doing a Scooby-Doo RP? I think we’re almost there. :D

Slugwortz followed a pace behind the tall guardsman down one of the many passages of Meduseld. “She must be around here somewhere.” Haleth commented for the third time as he searched for Maerwyn in order to fulfill the promise he had made Lark to introduce her son to his niece. He glanced back at the boy who had been almost completely silent the entire time. “She’s not usually this hard to find.” He added.

Slugwortz nodded and tried to look understanding. The truth was, he was glad for any interaction at all. Not very outgoing by nature, he had hardly talked to anyone since his mother had left and he was starting to feel like some sort of outcast. So far, the thought of how disappointed his mother would be was the only thing keeping him from leaving and heading back to Mirkwood. He didn’t hold much hope that this pre-arranged introduction would change anything, but still, it was something.

At last his sharp ears caught the sound of voices and as they rounded a corner they came face to face with three people, a girl and two boys, that looked to be around his age. “There you are.” Said Haleth with some relief. “I was beginning to think I was never going to find you.”

The young lady looked very pleased to see her uncle and smiled brightly at the sight of him, turning away from the larger of the two boys who seemed to be dominating her attention. Haleth continued, ”Maerwyn, I have someone I want you to meet. This is Beorn.” He said, gesturing toward Slugwartz who cringed inwardly at the name but tried not to let it show. “He’s the son of Lark and Ranthim Faroth. They were friends of your mother and father from the War.”

“Yes, I remember.” Maerwyn said, smiling politely.

“This is Beorn’s first trip to Rohan and his Mother asked me to introduce you two. Maybe you could show him around a little if you have the time. I doubt he’s seen much more then the stables so far.” said Haleth. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to work.” He finished, leaving the teens to get acquainted.

There was a brief moment of awkward silence until Maerwyn, being the only girl, therefore the only one with any sense of manners, took charge of the situation. “Beorn, this is my cousin, Elmund, son of Elrosar. His father was captain over our parents during the war.”

“Yes, I’m familiar with the name. Mother speaks quite fondly of him.” Slugworz said, looking him over carefully. He seemed quite friendly, making him feel a little more at ease.

“And this is Prince Theodred, son of King Eomer.” she said, gesturing to the larger of the two boys. This introduction put Slugowtz in a bit of a quandary. In Mirkwood, he would have been expected to bow to someone with such a rank as ‘prince’ but the others acted so casually toward him, it was difficult to know what to do. He nodded to him politely, hoping that would be enough. Theodred, however, did not look so friendly and Slugwotz looked to the other two hoping for a clue as to whether or not his greeting was appropriate.

“Haleth said you’ve only spent time in the stables so far…” Theodred said with a hint of sarcasm. Slugwartz nodded. “So, you’re a stable-hand.” He finished, looking to see Maerwyn’s reaction.

Maerwyn, however, only smiled pleasantly knowing what Theodred was up to. “Do you like working with horses, Beorn?”

“Yes, actually, though all I’ve done so far is work on the new stable. The work isn’t too hard but I’m afraid the Rohirric architecture is a bit baffling to me.” Sluggy added.

“What’s wrong with our architecture?” Theodred demanded.

Sluggy blinked, not expecting such a hot reaction. “There’s nothing wrong with it…It’s just very different then what I’m used to.”

Once again Maerwyn stepped in, “Have you had lunch yet, Beorn?”

Slugwortz looked from Theodred to Maerwyn then back again. “No, I haven’t.”

“Come on, Elmund and I will show you the way to the kitchen. That’s where most of the house-servants eat but the cook won’t mind if you join us today.”

Theodred looked irritated. “Shouldn’t you be having lunch with my family, Maerwyn? My sisters will be disappointed if you don’t.”

“This is my afternoon off. You know that. Shouldn’t you be having lunch with your family, Theodred?” Maerwyn added smoothly as she started down the hall with the other two boys. Elmund had to stifle a laugh as he hurried to catch up with his cousin.

Theodred looked quite angry now. “I can have lunch whenever and wherever I want!” He nearly yelled.

“Congratulations.” Maerwyn said sweetly.

Theodred knew how ridiculous his outburst sounded but wasn’t quite sure how to redeem himself. Slugwortz was just marveling at the way Maerwyn could speak to the prince, clearly getting the best of him, without any repercussions, all while poor Elmund still struggled to control his laughter.

“Is this your room?” Slugwortz asked of a door they were passing, hoping tp change the subject and lighten the mood.

Maerwyn looked surprised. “No, why would you think that?”

“I came down this hall earlier to meet your uncle and heard voices in this room. I’m quite sure now that it was you and your cousin that I heard. Is it his room then?”

“You must be mistaken.” Maerwyn said, exchanging a quick, nervous glance with Elmund. “This room belongs to Lyrria, one of the head servants. She’s off visiting family.”

Theodred smirked making Slugwortz more determined then ever to prove himself. “I’m sure I’m not mistaken. I know this is the door, that odd shaped scratch on it caught my attention, and I have excellent hearing. I couldn’t help but hear the two of you in there talking.”

“She wasn’t in there!” Theodred suddenly snapped, stepping in menacingly. Slugwortz stood his ground, eyeing the larger boy. He was quite sure he could move faster then the prince, but Theodred was obviously stronger. He wondered vaguely if there was a set penalty for getting into a fight with the son of the King and what his mother would say.

“Theodred, stop it!” Maerwyn commanded, as much as a lady in waiting can command a prince. She looked at Elmund again and is seemed as if something passed between them and a quick decision was made. “Beorn is right. Elmund and I were in there earlier.”

“What?” Theodred said, backing off of Beorn and turning to the other two with a confused expression. “Why?”

“Maerwyn thinks Lyrria and her cousin may have had something to do with the attempt on your father’s life.” said Elmund. “We were looking for clues.”

Theodred became very serious and stony faced. “Why do you think this?”

Quickly and quietly Maerwyn explained all her suspicions and what she and Elmund had found in Lyrria’s room. Theodred stood silent for a moment thinking it over.

“Do you think we should go tell the King?” Elmund asked.

“Absolutely not!” Theodred answered sharply. “Such accusations are taken very seriously by my father and he would be more then a little angry with us for making such a claim with out any hard evidence.”

Us?” Maerwyn repeated. “Then you believe us that Lyrria and Dunraith are behind the assassination attempt?”

Theodred nodded slowly. “Dunraith has been working in the armory for some time. I’ve sparred with him as part of my weekly training. The night my father was attacked, I couldn’t be sure, but I thought there was something familiar about that Wildman…I don’t know…I’m still not completely sure. Not enough to make that kind of an accusation but with what the two of you found in Lyrria’s room, we should certainly keep a close eye on them when they get back.”

“If only we could find something that would prove it was him.” Maerwyn said quietly. Her eyes drifted to Slugwortz who had been quietly taking in all the drama before him. “Beorn, your father’s an elf, isn’t he? That’s why your hearing is so good, right?”

Slugwortz looked suddenly self-conscious. “Half-elf, but yes.”

“Do you have good eyesight too?”

“Yes, well, pretty good.”

Maerwyn looked at the others. “Let’s take one more look. Maybe Beorn will spot something we missed.” Not waiting for an argument, she quickly opened the door to the little room and shoved him in ahead of her. She showed him where they had found the hair and the spool of thread and, feeling very self-conscious again, Sluggy began looking around, not really knowing what he was looking for.

After a few seconds he cocked his head. “That’s dried blood.”

“Where?” Demanded Theodred.

Slugwotz pointed to several spots on the floor. It was difficult to see on the dark worn wooden planks but there were several places that were slightly darker. He squinted and leaned in for a closer look. “It looks like someone got blood on the floor then tried to wipe it up but didn’t do it very well. I’m quite certain it’s blood.” He picked up the spool of thread that had been under the dresser and examined it. “There’s dried blood on the needle too, and on the thread that’s attached to it. If I had to guess, someone used this to stitch up a wound.”

Theodred darkened. “The surviving Wildman received a wound across his chest.”

They were all silent for a moment. “We should really get out of here before we get caught.” Elmund said at last. The others agreed and did their best to leave the room as they had found it.

They were quiet as the walked together to the kitchen, each lost in their own thoughts. After lunch, Slugwartz was on his way back to the inn where the stable-hands were being housed, deep in thought about all that had happened that afternoon, when a commotion at the gates aroused his curiosity. There was some yelling and he thought he heard a familiar voice. “Now what’s going on? Oh dung!” He exclaimed when he realized who he was seeing and what was about to happen. “Stop! STOP!!” He yelled at the top of his voice.

Remarkably, the guards stopped long enough for him to run in and get between them. “Sluggy!” Riot said when she saw him, delighted with herself that she remembered someone.

“It’s okay!” Slugwortz said to the guards in what he hoped was a reassuring voice. “This Ranger is who she says she is. She fought bravely in the war alongside Rohan and…and…saved the life of King Eomer!” He finished, not knowing what else to say to get Riot out of the spot she was in.

“She did?” Questioned the guard, lowering his spear slightly.

“I did?” Questioned Riot, scratching her head with her ax.

“Yes, she’s very brave and loyal and loves Rohan and the King’s just crazy about her! No threat to security here!” He said with a smile.

The guard looked a bit puzzled but it was hard to argue with that kind of endorsement. He lowered he spear and Sluggy, speaking a few words in elvish to Reaver to calm the horse down, hurried them past. “Wait a minute!” Said the guard at last, worried that somehow the wool was being pulled over his eyes. “Who are you?” He said, pointing at Slugwortz this time.

“This is Lark and the half-elf’s kid. Like I told you!” Said Riot over her shoulder. Sluggy pulled them around a corner and out of sight as fast as possible reminding himself that this was exactly the kind of trouble his mother had brought him here to avoid.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:39 am

Here’s the second half of my post. Sorry I’m so long-winded. :roll: This is kind of dark and gross for me. Call it character development I guess. :P

BTW, :) Happy Birthday Gwen!! :)

Barely had Lyrria retrieved the horses of the dead soldiers then the sound of hoof beats on the road behind them could be heard. “It must be the relief guards!” Dunraith hissed. He grabbed up what gear was closest to him, then helping Lyrria with the horses, the two of them rode off as quickly as possible.

They road on until there was no longer enough light to go any further, then, picking their way carefully in the dark, got as far off the road as they could to camp for the night. Dunraith made a small fire and started taking inventory of the gear he had gathered from the murdered soldiers. Lyrria sat as far from him as she could while still gaining some warmth from the fire. He glanced up from what he was doing at her and smirked. “It’s going to be difficult to work together if you’re afraid of me.”

“I’m not afraid of you.” She lied. “I just don’t want to sit next to you. You still have blood on you.”

Dunraith shrugged and picked up the next item. “What do you want out of all this, Lyrria?”

“What are you talking about?” She said, looking at the ill-gotten gear with disgust.

“Assassinating the King…Taking over the throne…What do you expect to gain?”

Lyrria looked annoyed. She didn‘t like talking about killing the King. “You already know what I want. A life that doesn’t involve serving others. A chance to do what I want and make my own decisions.”

He sat down the item he was looking at and looked at her seriously. “Would you like to be Queen?”

“No!” She responded sharply, then realized by his expression she had just insulted him. “It’s not you, Dunraith. I just have no desire to rule in a land I despise. I don’t even know if I’ll stay in Rohan.”

Dunraith leered at her for a moment. “We should get some sleep. We’ll be in Dunland tomorrow.” He said at last then spoke no more to her that night. Though Lyrria had said she did not fear him, she kept her little knife close to her throughout the night.

Lyrria thought that Dunland was easily the most horrible place she had ever seen. At least the small part of it they visited. The only thing more wretched then the living conditions were the people living in them. She had never imagined such a race even existed.

They stayed as close to the borders as they could for their purposes and soon located a village that had a reputation for the kind of specialists they were looking for. Dunraith had been wise to hold on to the horses and weapons of the solders he had killed. It turned out that such things were in high demand and they brought a good price. Eventually they found two men that seemed to suit their needs and a deal was struck.

They would pay them a quarter of the money then and would give them another quarter in two weeks time when they met Dunraith at a designated place outside of Edoras. The other half would be paid when the job was done. Dunraith did not bother telling them that they were not likely to make it out of Edoras alive, and he preferred they didn’t. Lyrria thought they were terrifying creatures and hid behind Dunraith avoiding their eyes at all cost while they made their deal. She wanted nothing more then to have Dunland behind her.

Once they were finally on the road again, Lyrria felt she could breath a sigh of relief. Dunraith however, seemed unusually tense. “What‘s wrong with you?” She asked him. “I should think you’d be please. We did what we set out to do and two weeks from now we’ll finally see our plan put into action.”

Dunraith looked behind them then gave her a half-hearted smile. “I know. I just have an uneasy feeling. I told you I don’t like dealing with those Dunlanders.”

“Yes, I understand what you mean now. You were smart to only give them a quarter of the money. Did you see the way their faces lit up? If they want the rest they’ll have to come to us. And if they don’t, at least we won’t be loosing that much.” She said.

Dunraith shrugged and looked behind them again. A few hours before dusk, Dunraith pulled his horse to a stop near a large clearing. “I think we should stop here for the night.”

“There’s still a few hours before night fall. You don’t think we should go on?” Lyrria asked.

Dunraith paused before answering. “I have a feeling we’re being followed. I haven’t seen anything, but I’ve been hearing things behind us since we crossed the border out of Dunland. If we’re going to be ambushed, we can at least choose the location.”

Lyrria’s eyes grew wide. “Who?” She said in a hushed tone.

“Probably the Dunlanders we hired looking for an easier way to earn their money.”

“What should we do?” She asked, trying hard not to get panicky.

“Stay calm!” He said firmly sensing her fear. We’ll set up camp in the middle of the clearing and build a large fire. At least they won’t be able to surprise us. After that, we’ll just have to fight them.” He said in a calm even tone.

His lack of distress and the thought that he had a plan helped Lyrria regain her composure and she dismounted and busied herself setting up camp and collecting all the firewood she could find. She noticed that wherever she went, Dunraith never let her out of his sight.

At last darkness fell and the two of them stayed close to the large fire they had built. Dunraith sat rigidly with his back to the fire and his sword across his lap. Lyrria wanted to ask him what she should do but she doubted there was much advise he could give her. She sat close to him this time, with her little knife in her hand. She had brought a sword as he had advised her, and even knew how to use it, (her father insisted she learn) but she had always found swords to be too heavy and cumbersome for someone of her stature to use effectively. Having spent much of her life working in the kitchen, she was much more confident with the knife, small though it was.

The horses stirred and a twig snapped. Dunraith rose to his feet. Out of the darkness came two stocky figures. As he had guessed, it was the wild-men they had hired earlier in the day. Unable to surprises them, they came upon them slowly, their brutal looking weapons raised menacingly.

Lyrria stepped behind Dunraith but not before catching sight of there horrible animal eyes. She thought about the sword at her feet, but knew it would be useless in her hands against the brutish creatures that were closing in on them. She had been told horrible stories of wild-men her whole life, and she wondered if they would torture her before they killed her. There was little time to think about these things for Dunraith quickly closed the distance between them and was fighting them both.

Almost immediately he became occupied with one of them and the other one seized the opportunity to come after Lyrria. She swung her knife at him but he caught her wrist easily. Rather then striking her with his weapon, he hit her across the face with the large meaty hand that held it. Lyrria fell to the ground, but her plight had no gone unnoticed by Dunraith. Kicking his opponent away from him, he turned swiftly and plunged his sword into the back of the wild-man who was attacking Lyrria until the tip came through his chest, but he had left himself open too long. The other Dunlander slashed at him, catching him in the side. Dunraith growled with pain trying desperately to retrieve his sword.

The Dunlander he had impaled had fallen on top of Lyrria and she struggled to get out from underneath his great mass. When she at last got to her feet again she saw that Dunraith and the remaining wild-man were locked together, each holding on to the other with both hands. Dunraith’s side was covered in blood and it was obvious he was being overpowered. “Lyrria! Kill him!” He shouted. “Cut his throat!”

Lyrria stood frozen in her tracks, terrified to move. Dunraith’s arms were shaking with effort and the wild-man forced him back a step. “I can’t hold him much longer! Do it Lyrria! Cut his throat!” His voice was almost desperate.

Lyrria looked down and realized she still had her knife in her hand. There was no time to think. She came up behind him. Seeing her, the Dunlander struggled but Dunraith held him tight with all his strength. Surprisingly, the feeling of cutting a man’s throat was not all that different then she would have expected. She had cut up many pieces of meat in the kitchen at Meduseld; muscles and tendons, it felt almost natural. What she didn’t expect was the spray of blood, the sounds and the distinct smell. Dunraith released his grip and kicked his opponent away from him. Lyrria quickly looked away.

Catching his breath, Dunraith looked at his wounded side and grimaced. “Now the other one, Lyrria.” He said.

Lyrria looked at him in confusion. Clutching at his side, he walked with some difficulty to the body of the other Dunlander and flipped him over with his foot. The man was mortally wounded and struggling to breath, but was still alive. “Kill him!”

Wide eyed, Lyrria stared at him in shock. “But, Dunraith-”

“Now Lyrria! Cut his throat!” He commanded.

Terrified, Lyrria approached slowly, her hands shaking, and knelt beside him. The Dunlander started to raise a arm in a weak attempt to block her but Dunraith stepped on it. Lyrria turned away. “No!” Dunraith yelled. “Do not look away. Watch!” In that moment, Lyrria hated him. She wanted to sob, but she held it in. Trying to control the shaking she placed one hand on the man’s filthy bristled chin and with the other quickly sliced, high and deep into his neck. Again there was the spray of blood and the terrible sound and smell, but she didn’t dare turn away. The body jerked violently then the jerking subsided into twitching, then was still. Lyrria let out the breath she was holding.

Dunraith took a few steps back then sank heavily onto a fallen log and looked again at his wound. Lyrria rose to her feet and threw down her knife. “Why did you make me do that!?”

“Because I needed to know you could do it, and you needed to experience it.” He said tiredly.

“Experience murder?”

Dunraith looked up at her. “Not murder. Life! Power! Most people spend their entire lives doing nothing but stuffing their faces and seeking out creature comforts. They may as well be animals. Only humans can understand the pleasures that come from power and the thrill of danger. Those men intended to do terrible wicked things to you, Lyrria, and they most certainly would have killed you when they were done, but you killed them first! How do you feel? Is your heart racing? Is your head swimming? Have you ever felt so alive?” Lyrria Couldn‘t answer him. It was the complete opposite from everything she had ever been taught, but it was impossible to think clearly enough to argue his logic when her veins were still pumping with adrenalin.

“Now help me bind this wound.” He said, looking as though he might fall over. Lyrria didn’t want to go near him, but she was a long way from home and there was no one else there to help her, and she couldn’t deny that he had saved her life, though she hated him for what he had made her do. Having no skill as a healer, she simply bathed the wound in clean water and wrapped it tightly hoping that would be enough to stop the bleeding. It looked bad in her opinion. He watched her finish, grimacing a little with pain. “That should be good enough for me to ride to Dunland again tomorrow.”

“Dunland!?” Lyrria said with surprise. “We’re not going back to Dunland!”

“But the assassins--” He started weakly.

“We’ll think of something else. I simply can’t go back to that horrible place. I don’t even know how we’re going to get home. They’re sure to have doubled the guard on the road we came here on.” She said miserably.

“Then we’ll take a different road, or we’ll stay off the road altogether. Don’t worry so much.”

“But, how will we explain your wound? It’s too big to hide.”

Dunraith laid his head back and closed his eyes. “We’ll say we were attacked by bandits.” He said sleepily.

Despite a head full of concerns, Lyrria stopped asking questions and allowed him to sleep. The two dead wild-men laid nearby, one of them leering at her with unseeing eyes in the firelight. It was a long time before she dozed off.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Great posts on both counts, Lark! I couldn't help laughing at how easily Maerwyn's able to get the best of poor Theodred. :rofl: And it's really interesting to see how the buisness relationship between Lyrria and Dunraith is shaping up.

I do hope I can start working on a response to your first post before long... things are a little tricky right now because my computer is having massive issues right now, and I'm in the process of trying to reformat my hard drive. Which means bascially I have to wipe and reload EVERYTHING. :angry: I've got some good help (my techie-oriented brother) and I can at least get internet access from other family computers (which is what I'm doing now), but I have nowhere to save files until this is over with. I'm just hoping the backup works to get all my old documents back on... :shock:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Johnny_Flett » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Awesome post, my dearest! You know, anyone can log on and SAY they are fell, but it takes a REAL WOMAN to prove it. Let's face it; being a RoR is not just a fashion statement, it's a way of life. And sometimes you just have to rip the guts out of a Wildman and smear them around a little. That's what I'm talking about!

I'm thinking of writing a post where Dunraith slays so many wildmen that he actually has to eat his way out of the corpses that are stacked higher than cordwood around him...maybe not...
Who's next?
Johnny_Flett
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:41 am

Great posts Lark!! I enjoyed both of them. Pretty graphic at times, but showed their true ruthless side. A little bit of sadness for Lyrria, but not much. :P ;) Great job!

Smor, I hate to hear that on your computer. I hope you get it fixed soon.

JF, now that will be a great post to read. :P
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby lark » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 pm

the husband wrote:I'm thinking of writing a post where Dunraith slays so many wildmen that he actually has to eat his way out of the corpses that are stacked higher than cordwood around him

Why eat them? Why not just make a nice summer house out of them instead? Yarg! :P

Who’s next? I know it’s not me. I posted last…twice! :wink:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Anoriell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:10 am

Great posts indeed! Love the graphic business! Really puts you SMACK in the middle of it all, as a reader. We need such details!

Well done.

Not sure if I can manage to be the next poster as I'm still undecided as to where to ship Rafe at this point ... but definitely working around it in my mind.

Kinda have an RP overload going on in my head what with multiple characters on RoTR forum and all. But I'm still following this thread (just not receiving the notices anymore - YET AGAIN!).

I'll see what I can do ... and otherwise look forward to any other posts!

Cheers!

Anoriell
Anoriell

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth