Riders of Rohan: Fourth Muster

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Alright, here is my post finally. Lark, have Lyrria be on the lookout for a visit at a tavern if she goes there any time soon. :P haha.

Smor, :P Poor Maerwyn, can she get close enough to Dunraith to get some info out of him? Maybe get his shirt off and see the old wound? :twisted: :P Haha *ducks the right hook* I mean surely they drunk coffee or something hot, tea maybe, that she could dump on him to where he would have to change shirts. Then the slueths would be able to see if the wound bore the recent signs of being sewed up with the same thread as they found in Lyrria's room.

Elmund and Almiel sat quietly together in their room at the inn they were staying at in Edoras. It was late in the afternoon, and they were waiting for Maerwyn to join them when her duties were over. The twins had discussed at length their suspicions regarding Lyrria and her mysterious cousin. The discovery of the bloody thread had sealed in Maerwyn’s mind the though that Lyrria was behind the assassination attempt, but Theodred had spoke of being patient. “No one will believe us with just this evidence,” he had said. “We need something more, something more visible and revealing.”

“That’s it!” Elmund suddenly said as he stood to his feet quickly knocking over the chair he had been sitting in. Almiel almost jumped off the bed at the sound of her brother’s exclamation.

“What’s it?” Almiel asked as she watched her brother start pacing the floor repeating, “That’s it,” out loud to himself. She didn’t get a chance to ask him again or get an answer, because there was a knock on their door. Elmund completely ignored it, so Almiel walked over to the door. “Who is it?”

“It’s me Maerwyn,” their younger cousin answered from the other side. Almiel opened the door and the two young women exchanged a quick hug. Maerwyn quickly noticed her cousin pacing back and forth mumbling to himself. “What is wrong with him?”

“I don’t know,” Almiel answered casting a scowl at her brother. “He just jumped up and started pacing back and forth saying: ‘that’s it’ to himself. Elmund!” she said but her brother ignored her. “Elmund!” Almiel exclaimed louder, but still no acknowledgement from him. “ELMUND!” Almiel literally screamed at him this time, as she was used to doing as a kid.

Elmund stopped mumbling and pacing and looked at his sister, also taking note that Maerwyn was there now. “Why are you shouting at me Almiel? And, oh, hi Maerwyn, we’ve been waiting on you.”

The two young women exchanged annoyed looks at each other. “I’ve been trying to find out from you what it is we need to do? You’ve been pacing like that constantly,” Almiel’s scolding voice was very evident.

“Pacing like what?” Elmund asked innocently before adding a mischievous wink and smile to his sister. Almiel’s hands were on her hips, and when she did that Elmund couldn’t help but laugh, because she looked just like their mother. “Alright mother,” he joked and ignored Almiel’s groan of frustration with him.

“Will you not tell us now?” Almiel’s voice was filled with anger. Maerwyn had crossed her arms about her chest while giving Elmund an impatient glare.

“You too Maerwyn?” Elmund asked. “You just arrived.”

“ELMUND!!” Almiel and Elmund yelled at the same time.

“Alright, alright,” Elmund said as he tried to hide the grin on his. He knew the situation was troubling and worrisome, but he tried to keep himself in a light-hearted mood most of the time to avoid the stress of every day life. It didn’t always work that way, but when it did, he was grateful for the distraction.

“Maerwyn,” Elmund started as he walked up to his cousin and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “What do you know of Lyrria?”

Maerwyn wasn’t quite sure what was going on, or why Elmund was asking this question. “What do you want to know other than that she is a lying conniving witch.”

“No, no,” Elmund said. “I mean what does she like? Any particular thing she is attracted to?”

A puzzled look crossed Maerwyn’s face. “Why are you asking that?”

“We need to get closer to her and this ‘cousin’ of hers,” Elmund said. “It is obvious that you won’t be able to get close to Lyrria, so that leaves me or Almiel. Almiel only could if she were to become one of the serving maids in the hall, and I don’t see that happening right now even with Theodred’s help. So, that leaves me.”

“What are you saying Elmund?” Maerwyn asked. Almiel just shook her head as she knew what her brother was thinking. Some times she didn’t care for the link they shared, because it was hard to surprise the other. An exciting thought would come to one of the twins, but before they could share it with the other, the other would be telling them what they were thinking.

“I’m saying I need to get close to Lyrria,” Elmund said. “Does she go to any of the taverns when she isn’t working? I need to meet her some place away from her cousin. Do you think this so called cousin of hers is more than that?”

Maerwyn shook her head. “I don’t know about her cousin. He never speaks to me, and I don’t try to be around him. As for Lyrria, I have seen her at the Cork and Bottle a few times. I’ve never seen her there with anyone though. She doesn’t seem to have many if any friends.”

Elmund smiled broadly and made a show of standing taller and broader than he really was. “Perhaps she needs to meet a new friend then.”

“Elmund son of Elrosar you are playing a dangerous game this time,” Almiel said. “You had best be careful. If our suspicions are true then Lyrria is on a plot to assassinate the King and Queen.”

“And if that is the case her and her ‘cousin’ will not let you stand in their way,” Maerwyn said. “They may kill you if they think you are a threat to them or their plans.”

“I know that, and I will be careful,” Elmund said. He gave his sister a reassuring smile before turning to Maerwyn and smiling at her too. “I’m glad you mentioned her ‘cousin’ again, because we need to get close to him too.”
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby lark » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Dan wrote:I mean surely they drunk coffee or something hot, tea maybe, that she could dump on him to where he would have to change shirts.

I have this lovely mental image of Maerwyn spilling one hot drink after another on Dunraith in an attempt to make him take his shirt off. :D That would be an awesome post! :rofl:

Speaking of awesome posts, yours really was, Dan! :) I'm so glad you finally finished it. All my pestering paid off. :D It was well worth the wait. :wink:

Great to see you again Anoriell! :)

Anyone have a plan for the next post?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:00 am

Sorry for my long silence... I was also not getting updates. :roll: Not to mention life has been crazy busy lately. Ah, December.

I think I can arrange for a little shieldmaidenly clumsiness. :wink: Though it may have to wait a couple of weeks--I may get a breather oh, say, after Christmas. :roll:

Great post, Dan!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby pat457 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Pardon me for I have suffered an absence long and hard -- and which may continue for a little while more.

In other words, "How's it going?"
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:53 am

I seem to have killed the thread...(tiptoes out quietly) :oops:
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby Anoriell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:23 am

Nah ... it's just presently the "busiest time of year". Or, at least according to some. :wink:

I think the winter will see some of us hibernating ... hence, curled up under mounds of blankets with a hot coco and laptop (perhaps even a nice fire in the hearth), ready to read/write. We might just see this thread progress yet! And I'll do my best to be a part of that. :)

But in the meantime, let me take a moment to wish you all Seasons Greetings! Have a happy and safe Christmas ... and may the New Year bring you love and health. If you have that, everything else is possible.

::hugs::

Anoriell
Anoriell
Petitioner to the Council

Postby pat457 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Anoriell wrote:Nah ... it's just presently the "busiest time of year". Or, at least according to some. :wink:

I think the winter will see some of us hibernating ... hence, curled up under mounds of blankets with a hot coco and laptop (perhaps even a nice fire in the hearth), ready to read/write. We might just see this thread progress yet! And I'll do my best to be a part of that. :)

But in the meantime, let me take a moment to wish you all Seasons Greetings! Have a happy and safe Christmas ... and may the New Year bring you love and health. If you have that, everything else is possible.

::hugs::

Anoriell

MERRY (Brandybuck?) Christmas to you too, and to everyone else. :)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Merry Christmas
Riders of Rohan!!!

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:54 am

GE-SÆLIGLIC AC FÆGEN NĪWE GĒR,
RIDERS OF ROHAN
!!!
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 am

That was impressive Pat, though I have no idea what it means. :P Why don’t you join the RP?

It’s been terribly quiet here. :( Would it help the story along if I went ahead and wrote my and J_F’s characters back to Edoras?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Illyria_Orthriel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Wow, and I thought I would have missed a lot by not being on here for a month but I was quite wrong. Hope all is well with ya'll! Happy New Year Riders!
Illyria_Orthriel
Shield Bearer

Location: I'd rather be in Edoras right now.....even though I'm an elf

Postby lark » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes, things have been slow here, Illyria. We could use more writers in the RP. :wink: *hint hint* :D

The return journey to Edoras was far more difficult then the trip to Dunland had been. Anxious to avoid attention, they had to stay off the road altogether for days at a time, often picking their way blindly through thick brush or traveling by night when the terrain didn’t provide enough cover. This was coupled with the fact that Dunraith’s wound was visibly slowing him down causing Lyrria to become increasingly worried about her situation.

At first her main concern, other then being caught and questioned by the King’s guards, was that Dunraith might die from infection or blood loss, leaving her to try to find her way home on her own and with no one to protect her. But after watching him struggle on day after day despite his obvious suffering, she started to feel a genuine sympathy for him and something like fondness began to form between them. What had been nothing more then an alliance became a kinship between two people sharing a common fate.

When they at last reached a small village on the outskirts of the Westfold, Lyrria insisted Dunraith find a healer and have his wound looked at. Reluctantly, he conceded and they soon found themselves in the small, shabby dwelling of the local healer.

The elderly man, bearded and stooped with age, looked skeptically at the deep gash in Dunraith’s side before speaking. “How did this happen?”

“We were attacked by bandits on the road.” He said, reciting the story he and Lyrria had come up with together, though his expression clearly said that the healer should mind his own business.

Ignoring Dunraith’s obvious annoyance at be interrogated, he continued in his slow, patient manner. “Bandits, you say? They must have been a bad lot. Did they take your money?” He asked, most likely thinking about how his fee would be paid.

“No. I fought them off.” Dunraith said through gritted teeth as the old man probed his wound with a knobby finger.

“Hmm…What about this cut here?” He said, pointing to the older wound on his chest that Lyrria had sewn up after his first failed assassination attempt.

Dunraith’s eyes flashed dangerously. Lyrria chimed in with the only thing she could think of. “That was my fault. I was trying to help with the farm work and caught him with the reaper.”

“Who sewed it up?” He asked, looking up at her from under bushy brows.

“I did. There are no healers near our farm.” She said quickly.

The old man returned his attention to dunraith’s side again, giving it another poke. “I wouldn’t have guessed you two for farmers. Where did you say your farm is?”

“Would you just take care of my wound!” Dunraith snapped, clearly out of patience.

The old man looked at him for a moment, then shrugged and turned to a shelf that was covered with an assortment of bottles, small sacks and unusual looking dried plants. After a few minutes of rummaging, he found what he was looking for and turned back to them. “It’s too late to sew it up, but I’ll make a poultice to help it heal.” He handed Lyrria a small bag of dried leaves. “Moisten some of these with water and put them on the wound each day, and steep some into tea and have him drink it.” He also handed her a bottle with a brown substance in it. “This is ground willow bark. Have him chew it and spit it out. Don’t swallow it. It’ll hurt his stomach, but it will help with the pain from the wound.”

Lyrria accepted the medicine then watched in silence as he applied the poultice and bound up Dunraith’s wound. They paid his fee, and hurried on their way, hoping the old man’s curiosity didn’t turn to suspicion.

As they got closer to their destination, Dunraith felt it was safe to ride on the road again. They almost decided that this was a mistake as they began encountering road blocks again. It became obvious that news of the murdered solders had traveled faster then they had as they were questioned separately at each stop about where they had been and where they were going and dunraith’s wound especially attracted a lot of attention. Luckily they had worked their story out carefully beforehand and each time they were eventually sent on their way.

It was late by the time they reached the gates of Edoras and endured their last bout of questioning. Exhausted, they went their separate ways once they entered Meduseld, both intending to get what sleep they could before getting up for work the next morning.

Lyrria entered her room and lit a candle, planning to unpack her bag before sleeping. It wasn’t long before she started noticing things out of place. It was only small things, her clothing pushed to one side of her closet and a few items out of place here and there, but Lyrria was a creature of habit, always putting her things in the same place. She could think of no other explanation for the discrepancies but one. Someone had been in her room.

At first she was just angry, but she soon began to become concerned. Had she left anything incriminating laying around to be found? She carefully look around her room. She found some of Dunraith’s hair here and there, and the needle and thread she had used to stitch his wound. Would that be enough to arouse someone’s suspicions? She wasn’t sure.

The next, and possibly more worrisome question for her to wrestle with was, who had been snooping around her room? She carefully thought about everyone she knew. Servants, soldiers, members of the royal family…it was difficult to narrow it down. She vowed to watch everyone for any signs of who it may have been. Frustrated, she finally had to give up for the night, and try to get sleep while she could, though she found it difficult.

The next morning she sought out Dunraith the first chance she got. At last finding him in what was left of the armory, she subtly signaled him to follower her to the back of the building where she could talk to him privately. “Someone has been snooping around my room while we were gone.” She whispered when he had caught up to her.

His eyes widened. “Are you sure?”

She nodded solemnly. “We need to talk, but not here.” She glanced around making sure no one was within listening distance. “If you can get away, meet me at the Cork and Bottle this evening at dinner time. We’ll talk there.” Dunraith agreed and returned to his duties as did Lyrria. But for the rest of the day she was wary of everyone she encountered, and impatient for the chance to plan out with Dunriath what there next move would be.

Okay, Dan, Smor, and/or Anoriell, the ball is officially in your court! Post! Post! Post! :horse: :horse: :horse:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 am

Gaaah... I didn't get updates for a very long time. Sorry for my absence. :(

Great post, Lark! And thanks for moving that along.

I'll try to come up with something before too long, but no promises as I'm in bridesmaid panic mode all weekend.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 am

As always, great post Lark! I know I have an idea on what happens next. I'll actually try and run with something on that regard later today. Just need a break here at work to write it out. :)

Here is what I have so far. May try and add more over the weekend:

“No way am I going to get close to Lyrria’s cousin!” Maerwyn exclaimed loudly. “I’m not going put my hands on him, or….” she shuddered at the thought. “Or have him put his hands on me.”

“I didn’t mean ‘close’ in that manner,” Elmund said.

“Well then what do you mean brother?” Almiel asked impatiently. She didn’t like it all when her brother acted this way. His schemes had gotten them in trouble more times then she could count, but they had never been in a situation quite like this.

“I mean, we need to some how see if he’s been injured,” Elmund said. “If we think that he was the one that tried to kill the king, then he has to be the one that we suspect Lyrria sewed up the wound he got in the attack.”

“That would mean that we have to get his shirt off Elmund,” Almiel said as a matter of fact. Maerwyn hid her face in her hands and cried out, “No!!!”

Elmund sighed and shook his head. “Now stop being so dramatic,” Elmund said. “Men pull their shirts off all of the time, women don’t…” Elmund stopped and coughed as he saw the horrified looks of his sister and cousin.

“WE WOULD HOPE NOT!” they both said loudly.

“Alright, alright,” Elmund said exasperated. “We need an accident to happen. Maerwyn do you know any of the serving girls in any of the taverns?”

Maerwyn thought for a moment before answering. “I know a couple in the Cork and Bottle and the Roasted Sow.”

“Roasted Sow?” Elmund shook his head in disbelief. “There’s one of those here in Edoras?”

“Don’t ask,” Maerwyn said. “It is a long story.”

“I’ll make a note to ask you that again,” Elmund said with a wink. “That has to be good.”

Maerwyn’s face grew red, but Almiel came to her rescue. “Now explain your plan.”

“I’ll try and find Lyrria at one of the Cork and Bottle when she’s alone,” Elmund said. “Hopefully she’ll be open to a little attention, or at least some conversation.”

“You’ll most likely get an ale dumped on your head,” Maerwyn said.

“Possibly,” he replied. “But maybe not. We’ll see. What we’ll need to be on the watch for is her cousin being at one of the taverns. If we could get an ale dumped on him, or maybe his shirt sent on fire ‘accidentally’ of course.”
“Do you know how unlikely that is?” Almiel said.

“Yes I know, but you two will have to just try something if you see him alone.”

“He’ll recognize me,” Maerwyn said.

“I know he will” Elmund agreed. “That’s why you both will be there. He won’t think that it’s odd that you are in a tavern with someone you know, family for instance. Just don’t let him see you looking at him.”

“This is never going to work,” Almiel said with a shake of her head.

“We have to try,” Elmund said. “Now, I am going to go to the Cork and Bottle and see if I can find Lyrria. You two try and track down her cousin.”

Roasted Sow! Gotta love that one!! :D:D
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby lark » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:39 am

Awesome post Dan!! :) I can’t wait to see what happens next! This should be good. :D

Smor, I hope the wedding went well! :)
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:11 am

lark wrote:Awesome post Dan!! :) I can’t wait to see what happens next! This should be good. :D

Smor, I hope the wedding went well! :)

Oh, the wedding hasn't happened yet. That was the shower. One more month and a half of bridesmaid duty (which is a lot, since she's DIYing a lot of things), and then maybe my friends will stop getting engaged for awhile!! :bang:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Illyria_Orthriel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Yeah I know the feeling, I have quite a few friends getting married. Sucks that I can't go to almost any of them, but I'm happy for most of them anyway. Great posts people! Makes me so happy to read fan stories that are intelligently written. Love you guys!
Illyria_Orthriel
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:34 am

Illyria wrote:Great posts people! Makes me so happy to read fan stories that are intelligently written. Love you guys!

What a sweet thing to say! :)

Well, I know Smor is going to be busy for a while yet, and Dan posted last…I guess I can try to get J_F to work on a post. Maybe he and I can write one together or something.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Actually... I did have a post idea. But I can't start writing it until Sunday at the earliest because I'm going out of town this weekend and am busy getting ready for that now.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 am

Awesome Smor! I cant wait to see what you’re going to write. :D

Have a safe and enjoyable trip! :)
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 pm

“There she goes,” Almiel stated quietly, and Maerwyn had to resist the temptation to turn around and look. The two cousins were sitting at a table near one of the darker corners of the Inn of the Roasted Sow, known ironically throughout Edoras as one of the better places to get chicken-meat pies. Almiel had decided that she would be the one to watch Dunraith’s table, despite Maerwyn’s protests, since she was less likely to be recognized. So all Maerwyn could do was listen to her cousin’s commentary and hope that the shadows would be enough to make her more distinctive hair coloring blend in.

One of Maerwyn’s friends, a younger sister to one of Meduseld’s kitchen-maids, had agreed to try and help them in exchange for Maerwyn delivering a letter to one of the young men who worked in the stables—the two had been secretly courting for several months, though neither were willing to let their relationship be known outside of a select few trustworthy friends, as the serving girl’s parents thought she was too young to marry. Particularly since her elder sister had not yet. Maerwyn shook her head slightly, then dragged her thoughts back to the current situation. She could hear Elena cheerfully greeting Dunraith, several tables away and off to he side. Her attention was detracted from them momentarily as another serving girl brought their own meal. Almiel began her meal, occasionally pausing to narrate Elena’s comings and goings, but Maerwyn could do no more but pick at her food, too excited and nervous to eat

“All right, she’s coming back with his food,” Almiel finally stated, and Maerwyn desperately searched her mind for any way she could see what was happening. Grabbing the spoon from beside her plate, she propped her elbows casually on the table, maneuvering it so that she could see what was happening reflected in the surface of the metal—distorted, but it would have to do. She casually moved it back and forth a bit, trying to look as if she was merely fidgeting with her utensils.

Elena was walking towards Dunraith, a steaming hot plate of roasted pork stew in her hands. Clearly, the man was not from around Edoras if he ordered that, she thought to herself. But she had no time to comment on this to Almiel. Elena suddenly dodged to avoid a chair that another of the patrons had pushed back into her path, bumped into Dunraith’s table, appeared to fight to regain her balance, and promptly sent the entire dish spilling all over the front of his shirt.

Dunraith jumped up, shouting, “Clumsy wench!” His roar of anger was enough to set most of the patrons turning to look at him, and Maerwyn risked turning her own head to watch. His eyes were blazing with fury, and for a moment, he looked as if he would strike Elena, who was on her knees retrieving the dish, which had fallen to the floor.

“I…I’m sorry, sir. I can get you another, no charge,” Elena said apologetically.

“Don’t bother,” Dunraith growled. “And you owe me a new shirt.” With that, he turned on his heel and began walking away.

Towards them, Maerwyn suddenly realized, and quickly jerked her head back to face Almiel. “Can you see anything?” she asked under her breath.

“I don’t know! His shirt’s all brown!” Almiel frantically whispered back. Then her eyes widened as Maerwyn suddenly pushed her chair back and stood up. “What are you doing?!” she hissed.

Maerwyn laughed in response, saying in her normal tone, “Oh, don’t worry about it, cousin. I’ll go ask and see if they have any more bread we can have.” With that, she stepped out into the aisle, almost immediately stumbling as Dunraith walked right into her. Regaining her balance and turning around, her eyes quickly fixed on his chest first, then darted up to his face nervously. “Oh… I’m sorry,” she said, hoping she sounded apologetic enough.

Dunraith’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Aren’t you one of the Queen’s handmaidens?” he asked pointedly.

“Oh! Yes…but I have the night off. I’m just having dinner with my cousin. Why, do you work at the palace?” Maerwyn asked innocently, her eyes wide.

Dunraith scowled. “Just watch where you’re going,” he muttered, shoving her a few steps further out of his way before continuing out of the room.

Once he was gone, Almiel said pointedly, “It’s getting late. We should be heading back.” Maerwyn nodded, and the two young women paid for their meal and headed back out into the street. Once they were safely out of earshot of anyone at the inn, Almiel whirled on her and said, “You really shouldn’t have done that, Maerwyn. What were you thinking?”

“I was thinking that we weren’t going to get a chance like that again—I don’t know about you, but I’m certainly not going to try and get his shirt off!” Maerwyn retorted defensively.

Almiel sighed. “Well? Did you see anything?”

Maerwyn nodded, lowering her voice. “There’s definitely some sort of scar on his chest. I couldn’t see if there were stitches or not—if it’s the same thread we found in Lyrria’s room, it would be too light to see. But the cloth was clinging enough to his skin that I could see the outline of the wound, at least. Raised up, so it has to be recent and healing.”

“Just try not to be so impulsive next time, all right?” Almiel scolded. But the stern look on her face changed to one of horror as a hand suddenly reached out of a nearby shadow, firmly clamping itself around Maerwyn’s mouth as another arm snaked around her waist, pulling her close and holding her firmly to him. “Let her go!” Almiel cried out, rushing at them as Maerwyn struggled to get free, stomping on the instep of her assailant’s boots and finally managing to jerk her mouth free enough to bite down on his hand.

“Ow! Stop that!” a male voice said—oddly familiar, Maerwyn suddenly realized as he continued, “Now hurry up and quiet down—I hate to tell you this, but you two are being followed.”

:twisted:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Awesome post Smor! :) The hot stew all over Dunraith made me laugh. :D I do have a question about it though, in case I’m the next to post. I’ll email you. :)

Did anyone else have a post in mind?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Illyria_Orthriel » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Reaver's baby is gorgeous lark! awww I miss horses. Great post smor, I look forward to more!
Illyria_Orthriel
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks Illyria! :) We’re really enjoying him. He’s a silly little thing. :D

I’m kind of working on a post. Sorry it’s taking me so long. :roll: Dan has helped me with some and Smor has done some brain storming with me as well. Next I have to get J_F to help with some stuff. At this point it’s hardly my post anymore. :P
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Amethyst Jade » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Woahhhhh... (: Hello everyone!! Wow, so I just wanted to let you guys know that I was browsing around and I saw the title and it reminded me of 'Red Dawn Rising', which, I do believe, was one of my first major RPs. I just wanted to say I am keeping up with the current story, and, of course, you guys are amazing! Ahh all the greats are here; all the great posts I love reading. I've been rather stalking this thread for a while, :oops:

But I still love it(:

I'll get out of your hair, though! Amazing stuff, everyone!
Amethyst Jade
Shield Bearer

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Quite surely nowhere...

Postby lark » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Sorry this took me so long. :oops: Let me know if I need to change anything. Like I said before, Dan wrote some of this for Elmund and Smor helped me come up with the other part. Thanks guys! :)

Just try not to be so impulsive next time, all right?” Almiel scolded. But the stern look on her face changed to one of horror as a hand suddenly reached out of a nearby shadow, firmly clamping itself around Maerwyn’s mouth as another arm snaked around her waist, pulling her close and holding her firmly to him. “Let her go!” Almiel cried out, rushing at them as Maerwyn struggled to get free, stomping on the instep of her assailant’s boots and finally managing to jerk her mouth free enough to bite down on his hand.

“Ow! Stop that!” a male voice said—oddly familiar, Maerwyn suddenly realized as he continued, “Now hurry up and quiet down—I hate to tell you this, but you two are being followed.”

“Beorn?” Maerwyn said, her eyes still trying to adjust to the darkness.

“Yes, it’s me.” He answered, rubbing his had where she had bitten it and balancing on his one good foot. “You might have asked me that before.”

“You didn’t exactly give me a chance!” She snapped, still recovering from the fright he had given her.

“What’s going on? Who is this, Maerwyn?” Almiel asked looking from one to the other.

“This is Beorn. He’s the boy who helped us look through Lyrria’s room. Beorn, this is Elmund’s twin sister, Almiel.”

Beorn was sucking on his hand now. “I think you broke the skin!” He wined before looking at Almiel and nodding.

“Did you say someone was following us?” She asked.

Beorn nodded and signaled for them to come in close so he could talk quietly. “Yes! I was out looking for my friend, Riot, when I saw the two of you go into that tavern. I was going to go in and see if I could join you when I noticed a suspicious looking character in a black cloak following you. He ducked into the shadows and looked like he was watching the tavern, so I hid and watched him. As soon as you two came out, he started following you at a distance again so I took a shortcut and cut you two off so I could warn you.”

“Any idea who it is?” Maerwyn whispered.

Beorn shook his head. “I couldn’t see his face.”

“What should we do?” Almiel said to Maerwyn.

“I think I have an idea.” Beorn offered. “If you two head for the blacksmith’s shop, I think I can get there ahead of you and set up an ambush in the ally behind it.”

The two girls looked at each other. “I’m not sure that’s such a good idea.” Maerwyn said. “Maybe I should find my uncle and tell him.”

“Meduseld is too far away. Besides, you’d have to explain to him what you two have been up to tonight.” Beorn said persuasively.

Reluctantly, the girls agreed to his plan and started off cautiously for the blacksmith’s shop. Beorn stayed in is hiding place until he caught a glimpse of the shadowy figure he had seen before. As he suspected, whoever it was, was still following them. Taking another shortcut, he rushed on ahead of them as fast as he could without being seen and quickly located a hiding place at the mouth of the ally behind the blacksmith’s. Hearing the girls approaching, he drew his sword and readied himself.

Nervously, the girls started through the ally. He could tell they were looking for him but he didn’t dare give himself away in case the stranger was close enough to see. They were almost on the other side when their pursuer finally appeared, silently moving along in the shadow of the building. He was nearly within arm’s reach of Beorn when he made his move.

Leaping from his hiding place, he put his sword to the throat of the stranger and demanded he halt. But his opponent was faster and much more skilled then he could have guessed and in an instant, he had knocked Beorn’s sword out if his way and had his own sword out. Their weapons clashed and locked together at the hilt as both pushed with all their might in an effort to knock the other off balance and disarm him. The girls ran back to see what was happening and aid their friend if necessary.

“Who are you!?” Beorn demanded. There was a pause and Beorn could feel his opponents grip loosen.

“Beorn? What are you doing here?”

Maerwyn was the first to recognize his Voice. “Theodred! We should ask you the same question! Why were you following us?”

The two boys disengaged their weapons and took a step back from each other. The stranger pulled back the hood of his cloak to reveal that it was indeed the prince. He looked a little embarrassed as the others waited for his answer. “I…I was worried about you.” He admitted at last. “And I want to know what you found out.”

“Then why didn’t you just ask to come with us? One of you might have gotten hurt!” Maerwyn said angrily.

“Because I know how much you hate me, and I knew you wouldn’t willingly let me come with you.” He answered.

There was a moment of awkward silence. “I don’t hate you.” Maerwyn said at last. “You just have a way of getting on my nerves.”

Theodred sheathed his sword. “Well, anyway, I’m here now and I’d like to know what you found out about Dunraith in the tavern. After all, it affects me more then anyone else here.”

Maerwyn nodded. “Okay, but lets go somewhere where we can sit down and talk privately.”

“We can go to my and Elmund’s room at the inn.” Almiel offered. “It’s not far from here.”

On the way, they passed the entrance to the Roasted Sow again and couldn’t help but notice some sort of commotion going on inside. It looked to be a fight and as they came even with the door, a very large barkeeper was throwing out the trouble makers. The companions stepped out of their way to avoid them, but one of rough looking characters called out at them, “Sluggy!! There you are! I’ve been looking for you all night!”

Beorn groaned at the sight of the drunken ranger. “Sluggy?” Maerwyn questioned as she realized who the drunkard with talking to.

“It’s a long story.” Beorn said, hoping the darkness concealed how red his face was. “I’m sorry but I’ll have to catch up with you guys later. It looks like she could use some help getting back to her room.” He said gesturing toward Riot who could hardly stand up straight.

A little confused, the others went on their way leaving Beorn to deal with the inebriated ranger. “C’mon Riot. I think you need some sleep.”

Riot smiled at him crookedly. “Are you kidding? The night is young! I’m just getting started!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lyrria frowned at the bowl of soup that the serving girl placed in front of her. It had been a long, tiresome day and she had little appetite as a result. What time she hadn’t spent worrying that she might be called in to the King’s chamber and questioned about the slain guards at the border was spent over-examining every person she came into contact with trying to figure out who had been in her room. She was no closer to figuring it out now then she had been that morning and her head hurt from the effort.

She sighed and looked around the tavern wondering what was keeping Dunraith. Among the familiar faces of the Cork and Bottle regulars, one stood out to her immediately. He was a young man, slightly younger then herself she judged, with an athletic build and a look of confidence not often seen among the servants and local tradesmen who usually frequented the tavern. It was not his appearance that caught her attention as much as the way he was looking at her. He made no secret of the fact that he was staring at her and even from where she was sitting she could see a smile playing about the corners of his mouth.

Elmund had watched her for some time sitting alone at the table. He sipped at his mug of ale, and wondered how he should approach her. Normally he had no trouble approaching young ladies, though not as adept as his brother Heruwine, but this time it was different. If their suspicions were correct then this woman could very well be a murderer, assassin if you would.

Under normal circumstances he would find her attractive. She had a pretty face, and he bet her smile would be nice as well if she ever showed it. He pushed those thoughts aside, because he had a job to do, and he reminded himself that she could be dangerous. He had to hide a laugh at the thought of his brother being in this position. He would have already marched up to her and whisked her away to some dark corner of the inn. That or he would have been met by a slap and a furious woman leaving the inn. “Ah Heruwine, if only you were here,” Elmund said to himself.

It was at that moment that he noticed Lyrria was looking at him. He knew he had been staring at her, and he knew the thoughts of Heruwine had made him almost smile. Perhaps that had been a perfect time for her to see him in the inn. She was still alone, and Elmund could tell that she seemed a bit uneasy. He assumed she was waiting for her so-called “cousin” to join her. If he was going to do anything then now was most likely the best time to try. He reassured himself that the worst thing that could happen here in the inn was for her to refuse to allow him to sit with her, or perhaps a slap. He steeled himself and stood up and began walking toward her.

As quickly as Elmund stood up, he noticed that Lyrria averted her eyes away from him and toward the door. He could tell that she was hoping to see her “cousin” there, but her hopes were dashed, and soon Elmund was standing over her table. “Excuse me my lady,” he said with the most chivalrous voice he could muster. “I couldn’t help but notice that you were alone, and I was wondering if you would allow me to sit with you for a while.”
“I don’t think so,” Lyrria said, as she looked up at him. “I’m waiting for someone.”
“Ah, I see,” Elmund replied. “Your husband perhaps? Your betrothed?”

The question caught Lyrria completely off guard Elmund could tell, and she stammered for a reply. “No…no… I don’t have either of those. I am waiting for my cousin.”

“So, she is holding to her story well,” Elmund thought to himself. He couldn’t let this opportunity pass, so he hailed a barmaid and motioned her over. “Well perhaps you would at least let me buy you a drink and sit until your cousin comes. The bar isn’t the nicest of places to be at times. I don’t think we have met before, because I would have remembered your pretty face,” he continued quickly, not giving her any time to respond. “My name is Elmund. What is yours?”

The words. “Buzz off!” were on the tip of her tongue, but his comment about her pretty face took her by surprise. It had been some years since a boy had complimented her. In her early teens, many of the young servant boys had approached her with such words, but it didn’t take long for her disposition to drive them away until they eventually stopped seeking her out all together. But bitter as she was toward her countrymen, her feminine vanity still craved an occasional stroke and his casual compliment was enough to earn him her name. “Lyrria.” She said cautiously.

Beaming with satisfaction at having gotten this far, Elmund sat down rather close to her and asked the barmaid to bring them each another drink. “So, do you live here in Edoras with your cousin, Lyrria?” He asked to keep the conversation going.

Lyrria looked at him, wondering how she had suddenly found herself in this position. “Yes. Well, no. I mean…I live in Meduseld. I’m a servant there.” The words seemed to burn her mouth as she said them. “My cousin works in the armory and lives outside of the palace” She paused, not sure what to say next. It had been a while since she had carried on a polite conversation. “What about you? Are you from around here?” Elmund did not get a chance to answer for just then Lyrria looked up and saw a very angry looking Dunraith glowering at them. The sight of him made her jump with a start.

Elmund turned to see what had startled her. If he was intimidated, he didn’t show it. He smiled casually. “Ah, you must be the cousin.”

Lyrria couldn’t hide her nervousness. She knew well what Dunraith was capable of, and she wasn’t at all sure how he would react to the current situation. “Dunraith, this is Elmund….Elmund, my cousin, Dunraith.” She introduced quietly.

“Nice to meet you.” Elmund said, still smiling, “Is that stew all over your shirt?” He had a feeling that Maerwyn and his sister were responsible for his ruined shirt and hoped they were okay.

Dunraith narrowed his eyes, obviously not in the mood for pleasantries. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to speak with my cousin privately!” He said through clenched teeth.

“Certainly.” Replied Elmund, but before he got up he turned to Lyrria again. “It was nice meeting you, Lyrria. Any chance I might find you here again tomorrow night?”

She shrugged without looking at him. Dunraith cleared his throat impatiently. Not wanting to push his luck too far, Elmund got up calmly, nodding politely to Dunraith as he passed him. Dunraith waited until he was gone before taking his seat next to Lyrria. “Who was that?” He growled.

Lyrria shrugged her shoulders again. “He just came over and started talking to me.”

“This isn’t exactly the best time to be trying to attract a boyfriend!” He said harshly.

“Don’t be stupid!” She snapped back. “I didn’t do anything to attract him. Anyway, he’s gone now and I don’t intend to see him again. Can we talk about more important things now?”

“Fine.” He said as he pulled her bowl of soup over and started eating it. “What’s this about someone snooping around your room?” He asked between bites.

Lyrria explained what she had found upon returning from their trip as he listened intently. “Do you think they found anything that would make them suspicious of us?” He said at last.

“I don’t think so. But why would they be looking in my room in the first place if they weren’t already suspicious?” She countered.

“Maybe it’s just a coincidence. Maybe one of the other girls wanted to borrow a dress or something.”

“Not likely. They know I never loan any of my things.” She said.

The two were silent for a minute as they thought over the possibilities. Dunraith cocked one brow as an idea suddenly came to him. “What about that boy that was flirting with you? Does it seem suspicious to you that he would suddenly show up just after you discover someone has been in your room?”

Lyrria was surprised by this idea. “Elmund? But I don’t even know him.” She said.

“That doesn’t mean he doesn’t know about you. There’s only one way to find out…” Lyrria looked at him expectantly. “String him along for a while. See what he wants.” He finished.

“You can’t be serious!” She said quickly.

“Not up to the challenge?” He taunted.

Lyrria could feel the blood rushing to her face and hoped she wasn’t blushing as bad as she thought she was. “Of course I’m up to it. Manipulating a boy like that is hardly what I would call a challenge. I’m just surprised you would ask me, that’s all.” She said indignantly.

Dunraith sat back smiling. He knew he had her now. “If it’s no challenge to you, then I’m sure you won’t mind leading him on for a few days. At least until we know for sure if he has something to do with this or not.”

“Fine!” Lyrria said, crossing her arms and looking away like a little girl pouting.

Dunraith smirked at the thought of his surly companion playing the coquette for the sake of a younger man’s affection. He recovered himself quickly for there were other more pressing matters on his mind. He pushed the empty soup bowl away from himself and looked at her seriously. “What about the King? We need a new plan.”

At this, Lyrria abandoned her pouting and smiled at him slyly. “I already have one.” Cautiously glancing around to make sure no one was watching or listening she pulled a small glass vial of clear liquid from her pocket and held it in front of him.

“Poison?” He whispered, is interest clearly piqued. Lyrria nodded. “But how will we blame it on the Dunlanders?” He questioned as he took the vial from her to examine it.

“Already the people have become so paranoid they think they see wildmen crouched behind every corner. I don’t think it will be difficult to make them believe Dunland is responsible.” She said confidently.

Dunraith turned the vial in his hand and considered it. “How will you give it to him?”

“I’ll take care of that. All I need from you is a distraction.”
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Illyria_Orthriel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Good post lark! This story just keeps getting better and better!
Illyria_Orthriel
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks Illyria! :)

Who's next? :?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am

Good post, Lark!! (Sorry for the late reply-- notifications went screwy on me again.) It sounds like watching Lyrria and Elmund attempt to flirt with each other is going to be a lot of fun. :)

*ponders what to do next*
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:24 am

Hmm, I thought I posted here telling you that was a great post Lark. Must have been via IM or email, anyway great job. Here is a bit of an addition to the story that I came up with today.

Elmund left the Cork and Bottle and made his way back to the twins’ room. He was pondering what to do next with Lyrria, and if he would actually meet her again. He was certain her ‘cousin’ wouldn’t let her stray too far from him, but the only way to try and find out anything was to get close to her. He wondered if her ‘cousin’ was suspicious of him, because he had sure wanted Elmund away from there. Perhaps he was just jealous of someone paying attention to her. There was so much for him to think about, but that would have to wait. He wanted to see how Almiel and Maerwyn’s encounter with Dunraith had gone.

As he opened the door to their room at the inn he heard voices suddenly go quiet. He peered into the room and was surprised to see Prince Theodred sitting at the table along with Maerwyn and Almiel. A look of relief passed across his sister’s face at seeing her brother in one piece.

“How did your date go?” Almiel asked with a smirk.

“Hardly a date would I call that,” Elmund replied with a slight chuckle. “I got to introduce myself at least, but her ‘cousin’ showed up soon after.”

“We guessed that was where he was headed so quickly,” Almiel said.

“Yes that is right, but I noticed that his clothing was a bit ragged so to speak,” Elmund said. “Tell me what happened.”

Maerwyn and Almiel recounted the events in the Roasted Sow, and then Elmund explained more fully his meeting with Lyrria. “Do you really think she will show up there tomorrow?” Maerwyn asked in wonder, as she had never even caught the hint that Lyrria could even be interested in a boy.

“I don’t know if she will be or not,” Elmund replied. “But I plan to be there, but this time we’ll see if she will come see me or not.”

“What do you mean?” Almiel asked.

“I mean her cousin sure didn’t want me around, for whatever reason he was quick to tell me to leave,” Elmund said thoughtfully. “Too quick for a simple cousin relationship I would say.”

“Do you think he suspects what you are doing?” Prince Theodred asked.

“I don’t know, but I have to be careful,” Elmund replied. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, and Almiel shook her head at him. He always reminded her of their father when he did that.

“Yes, you had best be careful,” Theodred said. “We are dealing with assassins here, and no one is safe around them. We had all best be careful. I don’t know how much longer I can keep this from my father, or your uncle Maerwyn. If we haven’t found any hard evidence soon then I will have to go to my father with our suspicions at least.”

“But what if we’re wrong?” Maerwyn asked. “What if Lyrria is innocent?”

“Do you really believe that?” Prince Theodred asked.

“No, no I don’t,” Maerwyn replied, and an uneasy silence fell upon them.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth