Bird Watching...Please Share Your Joy

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: Bird Watching...Please Share Your Joy

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Goodness VANA :love:

Their little feet kind of tickled like maybe when a mouse steps on your finger but lighter. I felt very special at that moment!!

Thank you so much for sharing that.

That is so very cool.

And here I was thinking it was cool to finally see one yesterday.

Gal..I am so very happy for you.

You are special and that little bird reminded you that you are.

Damn..I am envious!!!

And so very happy for you. I so wish I had been there with you.

The nearest bliss I can relate to is when a butterfly landed on my hand. I wish I could have felt its feet on my hand.

Delicate is beautiful.

I am so very happy for you. Very much so.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Dunthule » Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 am

Vanaladiel wrote:I was outside last evening when the hummingbirds were buzzing around so I was tipping or burping the feeder to make sure the food was at the flowers when one came and sat on my hand!! :shock: It was so AWESOME!!! I am going to do it again tomorrow and see if it will do it again. Their little feet kind of tickled like maybe when a mouse steps on your finger but lighter. I felt very special at that moment!! :D

Wow! Oh what a feeling!! :) 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby barrelrider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

What a great hummingbird story! there's a hummingbird that lives right outside the music building at my school. I always hear it whenever I pass by.

My window this year had a lovely oak tree growing outside of it where Scrub jays, Stellar's jays, and acorn woodpeckers loved to be. It was lovely to watch them in the morning.
barrelrider
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 am

A Common Redstart has nested under the eaves of our garden shed. They've got chicks now, and the parents keep flying to and fro all day long.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby siddharth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 am

Hola mi amigos.

I'd like to join in here. I live in a mega-city, so there's not much scope for seeing birds except the very common ones.
But as the title states "Bird-watching share your joy". I'm very fascinated with the nature in this world. And I love to see life forms. Of all kinds. Animals, birds or even bacteria.
And the aves take a special place there, having so much variety with so many beautiful colors and those innocent eyes.

Simply. I. Love. Birds.

Anyway, me rambling. Only asking that may I sometimes jump in here? :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 am

By all means siddarth! By all standards I am fairly new to this forum as well. :)
Are you able to set up any sort of feeder in the city? Who knows what you'll see...
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Greetings!
Just found this thread and am glad of the opportunity to "share the joy"!

I can't really boast a very long list, mostly the usual. I suppose the most exotic bird I've identified locally is a plover, if I got it right.
I visited Alaska this summer and saw a single bald eagle, which was almost the highlight of the trip for my husband, despite meeting a granddaughter for the first time.
We see Canada Geese here year round, they don't seem to migrate north in the spring anymore, they just hang out all summer.

My husband maintains several hummingbird feeders, while I keep a couple of seedcake cages filled in the front yard.

But the big news here is the return of the yellow-billed magpie. There, now you know where I live, sort of. It's the only place on the planet they're found. When we first moved into this house the neighborhood was filled with them. They are noisy, and first thing in the morning they can be annoying as anything. But then, for some reason, I never heard why, there was a die-off. We went several years without spotting a single one. Then, last year we saw one or two. This morning there were about a dozen hanging out in the front yard. I am just so glad to see them again. So far they haven't been a nuisance. Maybe I will have a better attitude about them now. As long as they don't start in too early!
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Spring is once more upon us and the birds are starting to sing and chirp their happy songs.

I got my Hummingbird feeder out today. Seems they have been here for a bit over a week but with my being gone to Florida I did not dare to put one out and have it run dry.. I am just happy they are back.

A poor robin was dead in my driveway. I think either a hawk or one of the eagles got it.

The Eagles are soaring high and entertaining us already with their antics. Loving it!!

The Trumpeter Swans are gone for the season but we know they shall return in October for the winter.

I love Spring and Summer!!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:32 am

Here in the West of the West, the hummingbird feeders are up year round, but the number of feeders varies. And there's one fellow who shoos the others away, he's quite aggressive. Me. Begonia maintains the feeders.
I maintain a finch feeder with Niger thistle, and an open feeder with sunflower chips. Have not had time to sit and watch any of them. HOWEVER...
We were watching something on tv when we heard chirping, which only vaguely seemed to come from the tv, then I muted the tv and the chirping continued. I checked the abandoned nest outside our window, but saw no activity. Then, as the sound intensified and got louder, I remembered that the flue was still open. I guess there was a robin up there.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

Old_Begonia

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu May 01, 2014 4:19 pm

I have several hummingbirds that are coming to my feeder and one silly fellow thinks that it is all his so he tries to chase the others away. I find them quite fun to watch with their antics and chirping. As long as I keep my feeders flowing they will be here till about October.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:06 am

Well here it is Dec.18, 2016 and the Trumpeter Swans and Snow Geese are abundant this year. I decided to keep my hummingbird feeders going till I had not seen a hummingbird for a week. Goodness they are STILL here and it is snowing and cold as anything. I have 3 that stayed this year and are fighting over the feeder. I bring it in at night to thaw it and keep it running for them. I have set it on our garden table with cardboard under it to try and keep it from getting so cold. I never knew the hummers would stick around like this. I hope it is not because I didn't pull the feeder. I want to build them a little house that sits by the front door out of the wind and weather. Ryan told me they are fine because they are going somewhere at night and coming back with the sun up. One little hummer likes to keep a watch on the feeder by sitting on our porch dragon that I bought Ryan last spring. It's cute how it sits on the dragons wing and can see everything.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Old_Begonia » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:41 am

I wish I could post pictures here. I've tried, but with middling success.
I live in NorCal, and it rarely goes below freezing here, but this morning there was frost everywhere and the birdbath in the front yard was frozen. Birdies will have to wait for the sun to warm their bath today.

Old_Begonia

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:52 am

My fat little hummingbirds are still here and doing well. There is still three of them despite the cold temps and the snow again! I worry when I don't see them right away in the morning. I bring the feeder in to keep it from freezing up at night and they are usually buzzing about waiting for it to come back when I get it out there about 7 am each morning. They bring joy to my heart each morning!

The Trumpeter Swans are still here and moving about more, I can hear them honking as they fly by from one field to another. Though it looks like there are fewer then before. I wonder if some of them are migrating already. I miss them when they go!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth